Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Someone in CD psoted a link to this thread in The Hobbit thread, so forgive the necromancy. I am currently reading (well, listening to) The Commodore. I love this series.

Molybdenum posted:

Question from (I think) The Ionian Mission regarding gunpowder...

Jack buys up the entire stock of a closed fireworks manufacturer and his guns end up with colored smoke and flashes, was this something the author made up or was it lifted from someone in the actual navy?

Also: I made sea biscuits from the cookbook. I put one in the bottom of a bowl and then filled the bowl with stew. By the time I got the biscuit it... was still really hard.

This is from forever ago, but I just found this thread.

I'm a reenactor of the American War of Independence, and we had ship's biscuit once. I had forgotten I'd left it in my pocket, and was worried when I remembered that the ants and bug may have infested my clothing.

Not a single bug touched that hard piece of wooden biscuit.

silly posted:

Six Frigates is amazing. One of the best works of military history I've ever read.

This is true. I loved this book, it was really great.

Anyway, as far as historical fiction goes, I'm surprised no one mentioned Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series, which is another buddy series with two great dudes during the Napoleonic age (but riflemen instead of sailors).

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well sure, I've never read anything as good as O'Brien, I was just surprised it never came up in the thread.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Double-posting, but last night I was going through the pockets of my reenacting clothes, and I found something of interest to the thread:

That's the ship's biscuit I was talking about earlier. It's from October, good as new!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Just finished The Yellow Admiral, on to The Hundred Days!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I just finished The Hundred Days.

It was really bizarre how Diana died "offscreen", and aside from the flippant explanation by two characters who mean nothing, you never hear about it again. Even Stephen barely cares.

It was like the actress quit the show or something.

EDIT: I should state that I'm aware it does affect Stephen, but it doesn't last very long.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It does, but it still felt to me, as the reader, like there was very little impact.

Even moreso the death of Bonden.

Looking forward to the last novel, though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I just finished the whole series last week. It ends at a pretty good spot (not counting 21 here) that only has ONE unresolved question, and I think it's pretty obvious what the answer to that question was intended to be: Yes.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm a big fan of Sharpe, although I wish the audiobooks were all read by William Gaminara. The ones read by other people kind of suck.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah I thought Crowe was perfect casting. Having read the books after seeing the film, I didn't mind Bettany, but definitely not what he should look like.

I always took Stephen's ribbing of Jack as him being skinny, and a philosophy from a physician's standard that everyone should be as emaciated as he was.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I don't disagree with that at all.

I guess it's more that I picture Maturin from the book as being more Catalonian, whereas Bettany is obviously more Irish.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Buttonhead posted:

One bit of casting I wasn't crazy about in the movie was Billy Boyd as Barrett Bonden. I'd always pictured Bonden as a big, burly guy, and not a Hobbit.

Yeah, same here. Killick was perfect, though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

I very much enjoyed Master and Commander but didn't care for the Jane Austen adventures of Jack Aubrey in the second book. Now I'm up to Jack debauching Stephen's sloth in the third book. I love O'Brian's style and humor.

I do a lot of driving for work and have a few accumulated Audible credits, how are the audiobook versions they have?

The Patrick Tull versions are the standard by which all other audiobooks ought to be judged.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah that guy has kinda vanished. I worry about him sometimes =(.

He probably went to sea. I'm sure he'll be back....

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

CarterUSM posted:

Rereading "The Fortune of War".

1) Being a veteran of the U.S. Navy, and having had aspirations to go to the Naval Academy in Annapolis, it is strange to feel so sorry for Aubrey and the other RNs when Java is defeated by Constitution. The Action of 29 December 1812 is famous in the annals of U.S. Naval history, so reading about it from the other side, and with a sympathetic viewpoint, is interesting.

I live near Boston, and have seen the Connie many times, so I know exactly what you mean.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I do American War of Independence reenacting, and while it's on land and not at sea, I have a personal anecdote that helps with this, too.

We were at a weekend event, and it had rained all morning. Then the sun came out and it was humid as all hell. No wind, so the air was just wet and thick.

We had a street battle, and after the first two volleys from either side, all I could see of the enemy were their shoes and the occasional flash of light. The powder smoke was so thick, it was like being in a stinky, sulfuric cloud.

And that was during the day. At night it would've been worse.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

High Warlord Zog posted:

Has anyone written Napoleonic era sailing or, for that matter, land based adventures from the perspective of the French?

The sailing aspect I feel wouldn't be terribly exciting, given what happened to French navy.

There's a Sharpe novel where Richard Sharpe meets his French equivalent (and a French version of Harper) that I was hoping would spawn a parallel series, but it hasn't.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Octy posted:

Didn't the French navy do okay in the early years of the war? It could read like a tragedy, after all.

Not particularly.

I mean it's the British Navy, they don't sing about ruling the waves for no reason.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

If it were to be a privateer or frigate captain, the US would be better, especially with all the various wars we were involved in at sea (Tunisia, War of 1812, &c.).

But I also love Old Ironsides so I may be biased.

E: Although that might be harder to fictionalize since the fleet was so small. I suppose it could be a sailor rather than officer as protagonist.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I thought that ship was a privateer? I'd have to go re-read it though, it's been a while.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

If they got moldy, they weren't done correctly. I had one I git in October that I ate the following May.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Nettle Soup posted:

God drat I'm gonna know a lot about boatsSHIPS by the end of this.

:eng101:

Also, I definitely recommend getting the companion book here.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Even the Sharpe novels have a Cochrane analog (in S. America no less).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

A Sea of Words is a reference book, but I read it through anyway because I am crazy.

Also your rule is strange.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I would definitely read at least one of the books before watching the film, just so you understand that the casting is drat near perfect for every character EXCEPT Maturin. We've discussed it earlier in the thread, and certainly Paul Bettany is a fine actor, but I always pictured Maturin more Catalonian than Irish.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I think his acting is spot on. It's just the look.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

Ah that would make sense; doesn't shallower (and wider) mean less stable on heavy seas? So it would be more likely to broach or capsize. No wonder a professional sailor would dislike them.

They're also slab-sided!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

Okay I'll bite, what does that mean? No tumblehome so more unstable still?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slab-sided posted:

having flat sides; also : being tall or long and lank

They use it all the time in the books, also. Interestingly the dictionary claims 1817 is the first time it's known to have been used, which I think makes it an anachronism in the books.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

Okay, so that's cleared up. Any other answers to my questions on the last page?

How many degrees is a point on the compass? What are the knees?

From Wikipedia:

In marine navigation, starboard bearings are 'green' and port bearings are 'red'. Thus, in ship navigation, a target directly off the starboard side would be 'Green090' or 'G090'.[6] This method is only used for a relative bearing. A navigator on watch does not always have a corrected compass available with which to give an accurate bearing. If available, the bearing might not be numerate. Therefore, every forty-five degrees of direction from north on the compass was divided into four 'points'. Thus, 32 points of 11.25° each makes a circle of 360°. An object at 022.5° relative would be 'two points off the starboard bow', an object at 101.25° relative would be 'one point abaft the starboard beam' and an object at 213.75° relative would be 'three points on the port quarter'. This method is only used for a relative bearing.

And also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knee_%28construction%29

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

There's a game out called Naval Action that's about this very era (even has the Surprise). I've made a thread for it.

I thought I heard about it in this very thread, but I couldn't find the post.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

AlphaDog posted:

I've been playing Sails of Glory on the tabletop and it's pretty neat.

I've been waiting for a good age of fighting sail computer game for ages though.

I love Sails of Glory. Need to buy some more ships, though....

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The French actually had quite a lot of success in the East Indies.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Including a very major death, which we've discussed already in this thread.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah, I agree, but it is definitely jarring when we're so used to other media spending lots of time on those types of events.

E: I'm reading a biography on Pellew right now, and he was in the Indies, away from his wife and children, for 5 years. Any news he got was 5 months delayed, and obviously wouldn't be super detailed. So from that perspective, O'Brian does a very good job of making the reader feel like they're at sea.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I had to replay that part on the audiobook because I'd actually missed it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

"Did you hear what I said? Did you get it? It was funny, right?"

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

There's an entire O'Brian wiki, apparently: http://patrickobrian.wikia.com/wiki/HMS_Sophie

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I had a Jack Aubrey pun moment just yesterday, and to keep in line with our current discussion, I'm going to retell my joke here.

I just finished reading a book about Edward Pellew, and at the end is his amazing victory at Algiers. Among the ships he commanded were some Dutch volunteers, including the Dutch frigate Amstel.

So I asked me wife (after explaining some terminology), if they turned Amstel in to a razee, would it be Amstel Light?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Amstel was a 44-gun frigate, I don't think she was single-decked.

I can't really find any info on her, and anyway, the joke still stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

In the end, what we can learn from this is that lite beer is terrible, has poor sea-keeping qualities and no place for cannons.

There. Joke saved!