Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Love this series, I'm about halfway through.

I will admit though that for the most part I greatly prefer the parts when they are at sea to when they are on land (though there are some great land based chapters, like when Jack is on the run from creditors and the crew is beating the crap out of people sent to take him to debtors prison). The stuff on land just tends to drag compared to the awesomeness of O'Brian's descriptions of life at sea.

Also seconding the sentiment that one of the best parts about the series is that they aren't 20th century characters transported to the 18th century. They are really authentic in their beliefs and actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Decius posted:

The following rant isn't aimed at you, your post is just a convenient starting point, for a pet peeve of mine with fiction (mostly TV and movies) and the need to be "manly" and in no way have a seemingly "gay" relationship with other men in today's media:

I don't quite understand why intense friendship without sexual undertones is such an alien concept nowadays, that it must become automatically associated with gay (or end in a relationship if between men and women)? They are such a large part of history and stories in the past. I'm sure such friendships haven't suddenly disappeared, even if they are only "kosher" in media when between soldiers in a "Band of Brother"-like scenario. Neither Jack nor Stephen, neither Frodo nor Sam, neither Bones nor Kirk want to have a sexual relationship with men or the other person. Isn't that the definition of the difference between friendship and relationship? The former is without sexual undertones, the latter with (and actual sex hopefully). I'm sure O'Brian would be the last one having issues with writing them as gay couple if he wanted them to be gay, there isn't a shortage of gay characters in his books after all (although mostly secondary characters).

Just seconding this. I didn't see any kind of sexual undertones or tension at all, at any point, between those two during the novels. Is the concept of close friends of the same gender really that foreign to most people (not directing that comment at Raskolnikov2089, just in general)?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

From the same

That was one of my favorite passages as well. Many of Jack's jokes and puns fall flat, but every once in a while he hits on a gem.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Blog Free or Die posted:

I felt most everything relating to the ships was great, but Crowe as Aubrey I did not like. Jack is such a jolly fellow, and Crowe spends soooo much time being dour.

Really? I thought that he did a great job capturing the Jack we see in the books. I felt he was trying to convey being oppressed by duty and the loneliness of command, which are themes throughout the series.

I didn't think the movie was perfect, but as a whole I think it did a really good job of capturing the characters and tone of the books.

Maybe this is going a little off topic, but I thought Russel Crowe was perfect for Jack. Does anybody else have someone else they think would have better fit the role based on how they picture Jack from the books?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nektu posted:

Why exactly are you people thinking that Maturin was badly represented in the film?

I don't think he was misrepresented so much as we only saw a very small portion of the Maturin from the books on the screen. I can forgive that because it would have been tough to portray more of him and still fit within the time constraints of a feature film. Though it would have been pretty awesome if you saw him tripping balls at some point, or really any kind of acknowledgement of his addictions. I can't think of any way they could have included his secret agent subplot when none of the movie took place in Europe or North America.