Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In the cricket game he is playing hurley (Irish field hockey) instead of cricket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Given the continual supply of biscuits and hams and such that he keeps in his jackets, does he perchance show up later with some hands in jars or anything? I'll keep my eyes sharp when I reach this book.

There is a hand in a jar at some point, but I don't think it is on of these hands.

quote:

Maybe I brought this up before, but I never figured out what happened about that duel over a comment about Diana between Jack and Stephen. There was significant practice and preparation, and certainly something else came up, but it never seemed to actually get resolved in the text. Maybe I've been laughing so hard lately that I've forgotten.

As far as anyone can tell they both just silently let it go and never spoke of it again.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sherbet does not make an appearance in the gastronomic companion.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In Post-Captain O'Brien was still trying to figure out the right balance of swashbuckling and english countryside drama. From there on out he nails it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Class Warcraft posted:

Bonden spoilers

I can never forgive how towards the end of the books (can't remember which one) Bonden is just unceremoniously killed by a cannonball and everyone just immediately moves on with hardly a comment or moment of reflection.

That is how virtually every death in the books is handled. In battle, one doesn't have time to mourn.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Obviously she learned that if she complains then she gets a hole drilled in her skull so she stopped complaining.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah he either doesn't like the frilled shirts or has no use for them at sea.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's fat and flour, literally impossible to undercook.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

potential cases of importunate pricks.

I can’t believe I just got this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Drunk as a lord by noon and nary a shoe to his name.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don't know if bottle sizes were really standardized then or not, or how they compare to today's standard 750ml bottle. But yeah, people definitely drank plenty. A seaman's daily rum ration was half a pint (8oz) of 57% ABV rum, served out twice daily diluted 4:1 with water, so 4oz of rum in 16oz of water with some lime juice twice a day. That's actually pretty close to equivalent to a bottle of 11% ABV wine, twice a day.

Not unlike the shelter-in-place routine.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What o, the bear!

The bear scene rules, haters to be flogged around the fleet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is cur-tailed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

I've had people give up on this series because it was too male. Adding in Georgian society on screen would definitely help. The series opens in a concert hall!

It opens in the music-room at the Governor's House at Port Mahon you philistine.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Actually that’s the Cacafuego.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Jack is miss piggy.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Anime is poison.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

It's fine. The narrator and main characters are sympathetic to homosexual characters even if society isn't. Really, as a Tory who runs a tight ship you'd think Jack would have harsher views but he's always willing to like so I suppose it fits his character.

At one point Jack says something like he thinks it is bad for discipline but he doesn't like to see an otherwise good sailor punished for it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They could gender-flip Doctor Maturin. And make Mrs. Aubrey black.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That wasn’t very nice.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When the wind pulls on the sails, that force is acting way up high near the centroid of the sails, so it is both pulling the ship forward and causing it to tilt to the side. A bigger ship can withstand that sideways overturning force better and can thus handle more forward-acting force and go faster because drag from the hull increases a lot less with size. In modern sailboat racing bringing along passengers whose only job is to stand on the windward rail to help counteract that tilt and let them use more sail is a very real thing. In small one-handed dingy racing you will see the sailors hanging as far as they can off the side of the boat for the same reason. The more upright the boat is the faster you will go.

If she was sitting in the middle of the boat then the wind would probably cause it to capsize:

withak fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 12, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's fun you should take some dinghy sailing lessons.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They work like a wing, just instead of lift pulling up it is pulling horizontal perpendicular to the surface of the sail. Under the right conditions (sailing into the wind) a component of that can be pulling in a useful direction.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

I thought they help keep the the ship from veering to windward while tacking. So they are just there to knock the ship over sideways, just not big enough to do it.

That is my (limited) understanding. They help with turning in the brief time while you are very close to head-on with the wind during tacking and the square sails are of little use.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That's how he rolls.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Off hats!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Jeez, spoiler alert there.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's all just dudes sailing around on ships.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the book actually mentions the Polychrest lurching backwards alarmingly while coming about.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That's a good dog.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I vaguely remember reading a Milch interview where he said they considered period swearing in the writing for Deadwood but it sounded too goofy to the modern ear, like everyone was Yosemite Sam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/11/lost-letters-of-18th-century-french-sailors-have-been-read-for-the-first-time/

Great Britain still not hesitating to read other fellow's mail a few hundred years in the future.