Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
I have read 19 out of 20 of these books. The 20th I was 2/3rds through when I forgot it on an airplane. I've taken that as a sign that I'm not ready to finish the series because I love it too much. So I guess all that's left now is hoping they decide to make another movie.

Enjoy the read-through, it's some of the very best historical fiction that will ever be written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silly
Jul 15, 2004

Slight derail, but for those of us who've read all these books and Hornblower, wondering if anybody has any suggestions for other maritime historical fiction of the same ilk.

I'm reading Under Enemy Colors by S. Thomas Russell right now and it has its faults (it's a bit too white hat/black hat in terms of characterization) it's a drat good read so far. It's not O'Brien, but what is?

silly
Jul 15, 2004

Since this the closest thing to a Wooden Ships and Iron Men genre thread, I'll throw out another recommendation for S. Thomas Russell. I'm reading his second book right now (A Battle Won) and it's a great read so far. It's not O'Brian and it suffers a bit from an implausible amount of action happening in one cruise but it's been a thoroughly enjoyable read. The first book was good but it feels like Russell is really hitting his stride in this one. Captain Horatio Nelson just made a cameo a few chapters ago.

He also explores some stuff that I haven't seen really explored in other novels, like a Jewish officer having to deal with the Test Act. The main character, Charles Hayden, is also half-French which has made for some interesting plot lines/character development.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

I was about two-thirds of the way through Blue At The Mizzen when I forgot in a seat pocket on an airplane and decided that it was a sign. As long as I don't read the ending, the books don't end.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

Molybdenum posted:

i'm reading the unfinished voyage now. it is noticably a first draft, the phrasing is just a bit off. enjoying it so far though. My next boat book is Six Frigates, it is about the founding of the US Navy.

Six Frigates is amazing. One of the best works of military history I've ever read.