Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Just got to the bit in H.M.S Surprise with Jack and the sloth. I couldn't stop laughing, even though I was in public. O'Brian writes so well about whatever he puts his hand to. He completely captures the movements and mannerisms that make a sloth endearing and translates those to paper.

I've read over thirty novels this year, three of which have been O'Brian books, and everything I've read from O'Brian easily tops anything else I've read in any genre save for maybe Use of Weapons by Ian M . Banks.

And I have no interest in sailing or nautical adventures whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I love Jack addressing it with a, "Now see here sir." when it's chewing on his hat.

I ran into this part yesterday. You're right, its great.

But not as great as the sloth :D

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

PlushCow posted:

I have a question about something in the first novel, with the Cacafuego did the crew throw all that stuff into the water when the Sophie was getting right next to it to create a buffer? "...watching the hen coops, boxes and lumber tossing overboard from the frigate..." I just dont see how chicken coops and boxes wouldnt just be crushed as the ships came together.

Picked up a lot more on this reread, already bought Post-Captain and hopefully I wont get distracted from reading it as much as my reread of Master and Commander did as I usually have the attention span of a gnat.

"An ape on a rock no great way off threw a turd at him, quite unprovoked; and when he half rose in protest it shook its wizened fist and gibbered so furiously that he sank down again, so low were his spirits."

Oh Jack :(

Unless I remember wrong, it was just a desperate and too late attempt to lighten the ship in order to gain distance from the Sophie.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Nektu posted:

Each time the ships are cleared for action, everything that is not nailed down is put down into the hold to allow the people to actually move around unhindered. Only that the cacafuego was surprised and her decks were still littered with assorted stuff. Its kinda hard to do your job under fire if you keep tripping over chicken coops.

This makes a lot of sense as well.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

PlushCow posted:

Yea this is familiar.

But these books. These books I tell you:

"The carrier has brought you an ape."
"What sort of an ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and it is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

:allears:

All the animal gags are amazing, but my favorite will always be the sloth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

When she was left alone in the ship's cabin after being rescued from America, I really thought/hoped that she was going to blow her brains out with the flintlock Maturin gave her. I got the feeling she was going to, but wimped out.