Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuraxVZ
Dec 18, 2004
Incredibly Unimaginative

Hear, hear! An excellent endeavor with the best series of books.

It took me forever to pick up book 19 because I never wanted to finish the series. At the end of 20 (or 21), you'll wish you read more slowly.

Another reference book that I enjoyed was Harbors and High Seas (http://www.amazon.com/Harbors-High-Seas-3rd-Aubrey-Maturin/dp/0805066144), but be warned, there are a million spoilers in there. And only pick up The Patrick O'Brian Muster Book (http://www.amazon.com/Patrick-OBrian-Muster-Book-Aubrey-Maturin/dp/0786424826) after you've finished the series; it's very upsetting to read about your favorite character only to learn they die later on.

All the best and when in doubt, always choose the lesser of two weevils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuraxVZ
Dec 18, 2004
Incredibly Unimaginative

master mystifier posted:

I tried looking for Locatelli's quartet in C major, as described in the opening pages, only to find out that although Pietro Locatelli was an actual composer, he never wrote a single quartet, let alone one in C major. Is this an intentional joke on O'Brian's part? His research is so stellar that I can see that as the only conclusion. Here is a lovely violin concerto by Locatelli, though.

If you're interested in some O'Brian-inspired music, the CD called Musical Evenings with the Captain is pretty good. There's two Locatelli works on it and it's at least evocative of the kind of music they would have played.

There's a ton of music nerd fun in the series; I love when Jack gets "a fiddle far above his station." (Tiny spoiler in the link.)

FuraxVZ
Dec 18, 2004
Incredibly Unimaginative

Pharnakes posted:

I take it cocoa leaves is basicaly unrefined cocaine?

Looking in my Sea of Words:

Dean King posted:

coca The South American shrub Erythroxylon coca and its dried leaves, which contain cocaine. These leaves are chewed with powered lime as an appeaser of hunger and as a stimulant. Coca first appeared as a patent medicine in the 1840s and as a local anaesthetic in 1884.

I just love that book.