Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I read these for the first time back when I was 19 and somehow missed that Maturin was an addict until The Mauritius Command simply because I didn't know what laudunam is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

I feel like something very similar happened in book 4 with the captains under Jack’s command.

Responding to posts from weeks ago but McAdam (the surgeon) was gay and in love with Clonfert.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Notahippie posted:

My interpretation wouldn't go so far as to say that McAdams was definitively gay and in love with Clonfert, but there's definitely a semiromantic aspect to his connection to him. Stephen mentally comments at some point about how McAdams' face lit up when Clonfert was in full manic pirate mode, and McAdams specifically says something like "have ye ever seen a man so beautiful" or something about Clonfert when Clonfert was in high spirits at some point. I think there's some kind of attraction there, but whether even McAdams himself is consciously aware of it is unclear.

That line specifically was what stood out, but there were also some vague comments that I read as derisive toward relationships between men and women, like when Maturin essentially asks him to diagnose his depression. Stephen asks if he can remain capable of love and McAdam says " As between men and women, I use the term lust" and says a burning desire for "some slut" might answer.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Babbington's grandchildren will be gibbering toothless idiots

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I really liked that Diana ran off again, like that's exactly what she would do

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You might even like The Letter of Marque better. Very good Stephen moments and you get to read about Aubrey coping with being a privateer/putting pride before politics. Plus we are introduced to the Sethians and Shelmerston. I won't spoil anything else. Tace is Latin for a candlestick.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Babbington was always an infernal whoremaster.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

So let's get real. Who else suspects Diana really did bang Jagiello? And Sophie that Captain Apollo guy.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Agreeing with Sophie yes, Diana no. I'm not even sure if Jagiello banged the woman who said his loins were as hot as a goat. He did say she knew nothing of his loins.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Remember when the one midshipman fell to his death skylarking after a jam session :(

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Post Captain is a great reread IMO. I never even realizee what Scriven was really doing until the second read.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I've read Post Captain a couple of times and it's so sublte that if it wasn't for a reference later in the series, which is also kind of subtle, I'd still be wondering if Jack and Diana were actually banging. And was Stephen too? I think so. Very vague but that's O'Brian.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

And the bear thing was so well done I didn't pick up on it until he spoke.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Whoa I never thought that was a suicide attempt...I just thought he lost his shoes?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Sax Solo posted:

Diana deserves better than the average POB-reader's opinion, I think. I'd say it's mostly Stephen's fault for pursuing her unreasonably, but she should see they are a terrible match. She uses Stephen, but Stephen begs to be used. I like to think that he sees her too much through his naturalist eyes; she is a perfect creature he wants to witness and in some abstract sense capture and own. Ultimately, she is the hero in her own story, which we don't really get to see.

A friend of mine floated a fun theory about Diana -- she's a spy (for the French, let's say). There's no direct support for this in the books, but on the other hand it fits so well. E.g. how she is always running off in seemingly random directions (much like Stephen...) and attaching herself to influential political players. If Stephen's ignorance seems unlikely, well, a) this is a man with a strong capability for lying to himself, and b) it's a classic spy story trope to miss the traitor under your nose and close to your heart. I think it's a fine theory which I don't believe at all. It's a great premise for a fanfic.

There actually is kinda direct support for this in Desolation Island/Fortune of War it's more of just a matter of how aware she was of it. But, she was translating documents (before the war with the Americans) to where she would have knowledge on the French connections , and she's no dummy, so...

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Anyone ever read Testimonies? Another good example of things left unstated.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

A sponge house is a debtor's prison where they squeeze you like a sponge for every last farthing if you want food, laundry, or a nice room with a shithole beg pardon.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Desolation Island might be my favorite because after all that horrible poo poo Stephen ends up in paradise and everyone is happy at the end.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I didn't realize Stephen was a drug addict until Mauritius Command because it didn't dawn on me what laudanum was or how he was abusing it until McAdam called him out on it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

That mumping villain!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

My dad still calls people chiselers

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

She's a doting grandmother, at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The way I always imagined it was she running her mouth and nagging and pissed Diana off so she drove recklessly, which Diana has done in the past when nagged.