Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Showpan posted:

On another note, I have heard that if you read Aubrey/Maturin first then the Hornblower series can be a little bit disappointing. Any truth to that, or should I get on board with those books as well?

It's true, but don't let that stop you. I went into Hornblower looking down my nose at it, but after a hundred pages or so I could enjoy it for what it was. Who knows, some people feel the two series are comparable in quality, and some people prefer Hornblower, so maybe you will as well (I hope not though, God what a life).

Robert Graves's Claudius novels are good historical fiction, so are Mary Renault's books, but there's nothing in the universe really comparable to twenty books about two dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU