Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Pope Guilty posted:

Do you like Julien-K?

It's a hit or miss (I like Technical Difficulties, but I can live without Kick the Bass). A lot of why I love Orgy is Jay's voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
If you like noise, gently caress Infest and go straight to Maschinenfest. Waaay, waaay more fun, better acts, nicer people.

The only good things about Infest were the cheap bar prices and realising that "provincial" goths were at least 2 years behind the fashions compared to London.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

glitchkrieg posted:

If you like noise, gently caress Infest and go straight to Maschinenfest. Waaay, waaay more fun, better acts, nicer people.

New thread, time for my Maschinenfest anecdote I guess: we saw Catholic Boys in Heavy Leather at Maschinenfest in 2007, and one of my mates bought their box set. He only had a rucksack - no hold luggage, so when we got to the airport on the way home he put it through the x-ray machine. They stopped him, and made him open up the bag... then they pointed to the CBiHL box.

He opened it up for them, and the first thing they took out of it was a photo of the Pope. Next thing was a cock ring with a crucifix on it, then a vibrator... and then a pair of handcuffs. They confiscated the handcuffs, but then let him take away the rest. I like to think the airport security staff still wonder what the hell was going on with that guy.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
*cough* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi3iAqiGg4g *cough*

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
KMFDM are about to drop another Mother loving dirty bomb

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That clip linked me to Megalomaniac which set off a huge nostalgia rush and almost an hour of going up through older KMFDM and looking up past members.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008
The last album i picked up of KMFDM's was Blitz, and the only track I can remember caring for was Bitches.

However, that new track sounded pretty awesome. And now I have to listen to Megalomaniac too.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Furret Basket posted:

:siren:mind.in.a.box:siren:

I was kinda on the fence until they were announced.
I'd just like to clarify, that thing I said about sucking six thousand dicks in the last thread was pure hyperbole and in no way a toxx.

glitchkrieg posted:

The only good things about Infest were the cheap bar prices and realising that "provincial" goths were at least 2 years behind the fashions compared to London.

*sips G&T, farts derisively in general northerly direction*

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Found a new band via a Facebook ad saying "Like Nine Inch Nails? Check out Cell!" or something. After my initial disgust and shame of actually clicking on an ad on Facebook, I found this band to be a completely shameless emulation of the NIN sound, the singer even sounds a huge lot like Trent. I'm not entirely sure what kind of an attitude I should take towards this band, the music's obviously very well done and it's easy for me to like it because I love NIN, but these tracks really could almost be lost The Fragile-era B-sides or something, and I don't particularly dig blatant ripoffs.

Their site has a free EP for download in the Music section.

I'm seriously confused right now.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1m5vxI3bpU

gently caress, you weren't kidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMDdVKkznL8

bonus angry youtube nerd!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

After listening to the free four-track EP a couple of times now, I have to say there's a weird sense of... emptiness in all of these songs. They're all nicely done, and they've really nailed the NIN sound perfectly, but I can't help but feel the soul Trent pours into his works is missing. It's like these guys have decided to see if they can make songs like Reznor and succeeded, but haven't even tried to take it anywhere further than that. I really can't see myself listening to any more of this, it just plain makes me uncomfortable.

In comparison to Cell, Dead When I Found Her sounds an awful lot like 80s industrial, but something in the music just makes it sound like there's some heart put into it. DWIFH just sounds more honest, for the lack of a better word. It also helps that it's not simply a direct copy of the stuff he obviously draws most of his inspiration from, but it's like it's a direct, logical evolution of that era. I also think the dude has a pretty distinct sound of his own in there, too. Some parts even sound like they could be from a Metroid game or something, which is awesome.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I have to plug FGFC820. These guys are pretty drat rad. YOU DON'T loving BELIEVE ME!?

FGFC820 - Society

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

After listening to the free four-track EP a couple of times now, I have to say there's a weird sense of... emptiness in all of these songs. They're all nicely done, and they've really nailed the NIN sound perfectly, but I can't help but feel the soul Trent pours into his works is missing. It's like these guys have decided to see if they can make songs like Reznor and succeeded, but haven't even tried to take it anywhere further than that. I really can't see myself listening to any more of this, it just plain makes me uncomfortable.

In comparison to Cell, Dead When I Found Her sounds an awful lot like 80s industrial, but something in the music just makes it sound like there's some heart put into it. DWIFH just sounds more honest, for the lack of a better word. It also helps that it's not simply a direct copy of the stuff he obviously draws most of his inspiration from, but it's like it's a direct, logical evolution of that era. I also think the dude has a pretty distinct sound of his own in there, too. Some parts even sound like they could be from a Metroid game or something, which is awesome.

It's like one of the malformed trent clones survived the lab fire and found its way into the world proper, It's trent for all intents and purposes but it lacks a soul (and nipples and a navel obv)

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Godmachine posted:

I have to plug FGFC820. These guys are pretty drat rad. YOU DON'T loving BELIEVE ME!?

FGFC820 - Society

Looking forward to seeing them at Kinetik, they were awesome opening for Funker Vogt in '09. So many bonus points for their Ich Bin Ein Auslander cover.

Trip report: Gothsicles were completely awesome last night, and I got my Tremere deck signed by darkNES and :EYG:. So very glad the Albany curse didn't strike again.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Godmachine posted:

FGFC820 - Society

One of my favorite bands around.

Most of what I like for easy listening is power noise like Terrorfakt or dark ambient stuff like Lustmord -- I found this very CD, in fact, at a thrift store, which was a huge surprise.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

How bad in comparison to say, Halo In Reverse?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Quirk posted:

What the gently caress, where do these bands pop up :psyduck: It's getting worse by the second

I mean really, don't these people have anything of their own to express? I can't see how blatantly replicating a sound someone else has created and perfected could satisfy a person's needs to express themselves artistically :psyduck:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 7, 2011

SentinelXS
Aug 30, 2009

Why don't you make like a tree, and FUCK OFF?

What the gently caress, where do the bands pop up :psyduck: It's getting worse by the second

I mean really, don't these people have anything of their own to express? I can't see how blatantly replicating a sound someone else has created and perfected could satisfy a person's needs to express themselves artistically :psyduck:

It's really bad when you can even pick out a specific song that they're ripping from. For example, here's totally not NIN - Closer. Gives you a weird uneasy feeling listening to that.

From the related videos for that new KMFDM promo I found a full new track. Not really a big fan of Lucia's lead vocals, but it's a cool song and I'm looking forward to more KMFDM.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Some parts even sound like they could be from a Metroid game or something, which is awesome.

Funny you say that as Dead When I Found Her did a cover of the Metroid theme for fun and posted it on the facebook fan page:

http://openvein.com/ext/michael-metroid.mp3

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

Funny you say that as Dead When I Found Her did a cover of the Metroid theme for fun and posted it on the facebook fan page:

http://openvein.com/ext/michael-metroid.mp3

drat, I had no idea how close I was with my Metroid comment :hellyeah: I freaking love the music in Metroid, this is just amazing. Thanks!

SentinelXS posted:

It's really bad when you can even pick out a specific song that they're ripping from. For example, here's totally not NIN - Closer. Gives you a weird uneasy feeling listening to that.

Ugh. Just... ugh. Or check out Pop Icon Puppets, which is totally not Starfuckers Inc. Even the loving lyrics are very near there :ughh:

SneekieBinder
Aug 23, 2007

You MUST listen to Perstechnique.

Thanks for this, I love Turmion Kätilöt and had no idea there was a new album out -- Perstechnique is fantastic!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Godmachine posted:

FGFC820 - Society

I like this - I really do. But it sounds just like Funker Vogt with Suicide Commando vocals. I mean they even have a song called Killing Fields that isn't a FV cover. What am I missing here? How is this different from the NIN ripoff bands (besides being actually a decent band).

Quirk posted:

I was going to at least give them props for the Coil reference in the band name, but then I remembered How to Destroy Angels and went :ughh:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

I was going to at least give them props for the Coil reference in the band name, but then I remembered How to Destroy Angels and went :ughh:

I love COIL's soundscapes and ludicrously priced limited releases as much as the next faceless internet persona, but I honestly read that as a Depeche Mode reference. A loser is me?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

hatelull posted:

I love COIL's soundscapes and ludicrously priced limited releases as much as the next faceless internet persona, but I honestly read that as a Depeche Mode reference. A loser is me?

:doh: no, I think you're probably right. I totally forgot about that song and went straight for the Coil.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

hatelull posted:

Oh god, I thought it was just me.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

Halo in Reverse is a DM reference, the dude's said it himself.

I found HIR as a junior in high school when I first started getting into making music and thought anything NIN related was the beginning and end of industrial. Actual song writing aside, I was (and still am) surprised by how good the production sounded and hoped one day my music would be able to get to that level.

All his music is from either '00 or '01 for back when MP3.com was still up, you can stream the whole album here http://www.haloinreverse.net/HTML/music/musicpopup.htm. Not only is there not a single original element to his music, he gets incredibly butthurt and defensive when anyone criticizes it always citing the NIN/Skinny Puppy comparison and then comparing that to himself to why everyone else should shut up. If you actually read any interviews with him it paints the saddest picture ever giving context to what all his songs are about. Half the songs are about a girl, the other half are about hating a girl, turns out his girlfriend he was madly in love with at some point during recording he walking on her giving a blowjob to another guy in their apartment or something. After you know the history it makes listening to the album kinda hilarious actually since it ends on You after he spent half the album bitching about her. I don't know how good/bad it is that You is his most "original sounding" song.

I've talked to the dude on/off for years because he drives me nuts in that he obviously knows what he's doing and I think if he just gave some serious thought and effort he could make something unique if he wanted. In the time since he's put out his one CD, dug his heels in and said "I'M AWESOME" I graduated high school, made 3 demos, millions of downloads, dropped out of college, had a club hit, working on a Metropolis release, working with my heroes and my first pick for a producer. I've told him all this in hopes of sharing what I've learned and hoping he challenges himself one day to do something because even if I didn't know it was derivative at the time, it was something I thought was cool enough to keep going with making music.

I like HIR better than sober NIN, even if it is just a blatant copy. I even bought a couple copies of his CD, one I gave to a friend as a gift with a custom "Compare to NIN and SAVE" sticker I make. My roomate even runs one of the big goth/industrial music blogs he did an interview with last year. Just challenge youself and do something (anything) you jerk.

He did an awesome version of moonlight sonata the during MP3.com days I'm dying to hear again and every time we've corresponded and I've begged him to send it to me it's always "sure, I gotta remaster it and derpy deedly derp" and I never get it. :argh:

Edit - Actually I think "Go All The Way" is the best HIR song.

Pope Guilty posted:

Do you like Julien-K?

I liked that song on Shadow the Hedgehog.

drat, I had no idea how close I was with my Metroid comment :hellyeah: I freaking love the music in Metroid, this is just amazing. Thanks!

Any artist worth listening to should play with Metroid's music at one point or another :v: http://tindeck.com/listen/1ai30

edit - lol, I forgot I made that out of Pitchshifter and Happiness in Slavery samples.

Quirk fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 7, 2011

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Quirk posted:

Some stuff about his music.

drat. This is pretty good.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

Godmachine posted:

drat. This is pretty good.

Thanks, the first two links are me. The second song I'm thinking of seeing if Lucia or maybe Chibi'd be down to sing the bridge for. I'd love to make something where they'd duet though :swoon:

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Quirk posted:

Thanks, the first two links are me. The second song I'm thinking of seeing if Lucia or maybe Chibi'd be down to sing the bridge for. I'd love to make something where they'd duet though :swoon:

Brittany Bindrim could kick Chibi's rear end any day.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Speaking of Chibi, one of these bands is not like any of the others!
http://junoawards.ca/40th-anniversary-events/juno-week-events/juno-fest/

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
WELL if we are all going to start plugging our own electro-industrial bands then I am going to have to plug Volt 9000

I hear they made the album with nothing more than a broken Sega Genesis and bobby pin.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

So And One's Tanzomat came out last Friday and...

...it's pretty boring, really. Save the Hate is a completely forgettable opener (like, why-is-this-on-the-album-boring), Shining Star's a tried-and-true, safe And One track with absolutely nothing interesting going on. What a fantastic way to start off your new record, guys :thumbsup: Thankfully it gets a bit better with the alright slower track Only Your Dreams and Dancing in the Factory, which is just a ton of fun and definitely a standout. Angel Eyes - yay, another mediocre ballad. Seven is alright, nothing remarkable. Then up comes The Aim Is In Your Head Now and blows the rest of the record out of the water. poo poo, what a track, this is the poo poo I came here for. Electrocution owns a shitload as well, but Sex Drive, although definitely a solid track, pales in comparison to the last couple of masterpieces. The last part of the album is some random boring poo poo for two tracks until And I Love saves the album from absolute mediocrity with some goosebump-inducing stuff it has going on.

I thought it'd be easy for Naghavi to make a better record than the mediocre Bodypop, especially after seeing how good the new stuff on Bodypop 1 1/2 was, but ugh. I seriously love the gently caress out of And One, but Tanzomat just isn't very good. It better get better with subsequent spins in the stereo system :mad: But seriously, why in the poo poo is Save the Hate on this album? It's probably the worst song ever by this band, it's just bland as hell.

The live CD included in the deluxe edition is pretty drat good, though, especially Tanz der Arroganz.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 8, 2011

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

hatelull posted:

Actually I was thinking about it last night and a loser is me, because I even screwed up the lyric in my head and it's not in any way, shape, or form a Coil reference. :sigh:

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I've never understood how And One got any love from anyone, every single one of their records has been mind numbingly boring for me. Save for Panzer Mensch, obviously.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Furret Basket posted:

I've never understood how And One got any love from anyone, every single one of their records has been mind numbingly boring for me. Save for Panzer Mensch, obviously.

Well, for me, And One is a bright spot of sense of humor in a scene that often takes itself way too seriously, basically. They do have some great stuff besides their funnier bits, too, but I don't blame you if you don't find their albums interesting. They're usually extremely uneven, with lots of boring filler with some absolute masterpieces in between.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Furret Basket posted:

Well, I can't fault you if they don't hit your taste, but like like Cat rear end said, they can be a bit uneven. However, they do have a wide range, so if all you like is Panzermensch then I don't know what to say.

And yes, they don't take themselves seriously, which is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0TZT6COdKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKv5dGoOjpk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD7U1lTpZM8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZxEh_HFgQo

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 8, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

^^^^^^ drat, I had several of those tracks in mind when I was making my post but forgot them, thanks for posting them dude :)

Today is the day. Today I will finally get to see The Best Band/Thing Ever (tm), Laibach. After seven years of listening to this... entity. This bizarre force. One of the few art groups in the history of the world that can safely say they actually have something to say, and one that the world should listen to.

The last time an actual Laibach "rock" concert was here in Finland was in 2006 or 2007, when I was still barely underage and they didn't let me into the venue. In 2009 I did attend the Kunst der Fuge installation, which, although brilliant, wasn't the real deal.

Today. In about nine hours. Seven years. That's a third of my entire life I've spent constantly listening to Laibach, reading every single bit of information about them and raving endlessly to my friends about them. This will definitely be a concert I'll be attending 100% sober.

Starting my day off with WAT, which was the very first Laibach album I got my filthy hands on :hellyeah:

e: Holy poo poo Hell: Symmetry still gives me the biggest loving chills ever, especially this whole part:

Welcome to the industry
of seven deadly sins
Walk into the universe
of the Laibach Kunst machine
It'll take your soul, possess your mind
score deadly channels in your heart
But you will kneel down unashamed
when evil takes you by the hand

e2: Haarrrgghhh I haven't listened to WAT in such a long time and I've forgotten how much brilliant poo poo is in here. gently caress the "This is the Black Cross, and this is the Black Circle" part in The Great Divide, I'm jizzing all over myself here.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 9, 2011

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Now you've got be on a jealousy-induced Laibach kick. I hope you're happy. :colbert:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Radio Paranoia posted:

Now you've got be on a jealousy-induced Laibach kick. I hope you're happy. :colbert:

I am. Everyone should listen to Laibach a shitload.

Also Volk is still the best record in the history of music for me. This whole drat album is just so loving astonishing in every single way, that even the weakest links make the album stronger as a whole. And Germania is pretty much the ultimate opener of any record, ever, especially if you know and understand where Laibach is coming from. The amount of thought and care put into everything here is just mindboggling.

aaand holy poo poo America just started and is giving me the chills again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
Yeah Laibach is probably my favorite band ever. Not just because of their music but their image, philosophy, and bizarre message are hilarious at worst and brilliant at best. When I saw them live in Portland a couple years ago they were really, really good. Played Volk in its entirety, then switched gears to some WAT tracks and Alle Gegen Alle. They'll always have a place in my heart just for making up their own loving country. I ended up buying an NSK passport for my brother for his birthday the year after and told him he has to get at least one visa stamped in it before he dies.