Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Well, for me, And One is a bright spot of sense of humor in a scene that often takes itself way too seriously, basically. They do have some great stuff besides their funnier bits, too, but I don't blame you if you don't find their albums interesting. They're usually extremely uneven, with lots of boring filler with some absolute masterpieces in between.

I'm all for bands not taking themselves seriously, I listen to plenty that don't and love it, but And One just seem to recycle the same old boring poo poo forever. I still need good and interesting music to go with my fun at the end of the day. Although I had forgotten that Wasted was one of theirs and I'll admit that I liked this -

But really, with a library like they have and only a few songs don't make me think they're complete trash. :S
I mean, that Timekiller cover is horrible, he has this completely boring and unemotional voice that just ruins the song. Plus it wasn't so much a cover as it was a complete remake.

Now Laibach know how to do covers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Furret Basket posted:

Yesss. 2525 is one of my all-time favorite covers they've done and it seems to get overlooked a lot. Laibach are basically musical and political trolls in real life.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Furret Basket posted:

Let It Be, for example.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Furret Basket posted:

I'm all for bands not taking themselves seriously, I listen to plenty that don't and love it, but And One just seem to recycle the same old boring poo poo forever. I still need good and interesting music to go with my fun at the end of the day. Although I had forgotten that Wasted was one of theirs and I'll admit that I liked this -

But really, with a library like they have and only a few songs don't make me think they're complete trash. :S
I mean, that Timekiller cover is horrible, he has this completely boring and unemotional voice that just ruins the song. Plus it wasn't so much a cover as it was a complete remake.

Yeah, if you don't like their style, that's fine. I included that Timekiller remix because And One seems to take remixes and do them more like covers - they take the song and remake it in their own style, much like Laibach. They do a great job of making it sound like the song was theirs all along. (I also thought it was amusing that they did a PP cover).

Now of course, since you don't like that style then I'm sure their "covers" will leave you flat.

Cat rear end, ah you have a treat in store for you. I've seen every Laibach tour that I've been in the path of since Macbeth, and they're fantastic. :hfive:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 9, 2011

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Also Volk is still the best record in the history of music for me. This whole drat album is just so loving astonishing in every single way, that even the weakest links make the album stronger as a whole.

This man is pretty much telling the truth. If you are reading this and don't have Volk, wtf?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm sorry to spam this thread all the drat time but loving Laibach. So good. If you're interested in what they played last night, here's the Setlist.fm page for the concert. The new versions of the old tracks were fantastic, especially Mi kujemo bodocnost, which was the first song I've ever actually felt genuinely threatened by live. That track was just so loving evil live that I was literally going :stare: for the whole song. Drzava was a bit of a letdown, the song didn't really resemble the original at all and was transformed into a weird happy techno dance song. That was probably the whole idea, but I wasn't really feeling it.

The crowd (surprisingly big, wasn't expecting a turnout of like over 200 people) obviously wasn't all that familiar with Laibach's earlier works, but took them enthusiastically enough and started moving around a bit more when Tanz mit Laibach and the rest of the set started. Hell: Symmetry was definitely a high point of the WAT + Alle Gegen Alle part, but the ultimate best section of the set were the first encores (America, Anglia and Francia). Francia was just perfect. The only things I didn't like about the concert were the people attending it. I love dancing and poo poo but there's a time and place for retarded spastic hippy dancing, and that time and place isn't Nova loving Akropola. Thanks for the rock hard smelly dreads in my face, stupid dude who felt that he absolutely had to push his way through the whole crowd right into front of me and start dancing at the weirdest times, I guess.

Anyway, I can't say those seven years of waiting didn't pay off :allears:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 10, 2011

Das Ende
Nov 21, 2005
YOU MAY HAVE TROUBLE REACHING DAS ENDE OF MY POSTS
:words:

They are incapable of bad shows. I was lucky enough to have my first Laibach show be at the tail end of the Anthems tour, where they did all their hits, and Dejan Knez was still with them. Great stuff.

I've seen the Laibach Revisited material done a few times now, and it's really incredible. Can't wait for the album. Was supposed to be done last year.

Anyway, I'm jealous too. They were supposed to be here in Hamburg last week, but it was cancelled because of poor sales. And I'm not just being defensive because they're my favorite band, but I'm pretty sure there was just no promotion. I only knew about the show at all because I was put on the guest list. It wasn't even on the website until the last minute. Oh well....

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
The first track of the new Turmion Katilot Album "Perstechnique"
It's loving awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KryCUtfM__U "Grand Ball"

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

I'm sorry to spam this thread all the drat time but loving Laibach. So good. If you're interested in what they played last night, here's the Setlist.fm page for the concert. The new versions of the old tracks were fantastic, especially Mi kujemo bodocnost, which was the first song I've ever actually felt genuinely threatened by live. That track was just so loving evil live that I was literally going :stare: for the whole song. Drzava was a bit of a letdown, the song didn't really resemble the original at all and was transformed into a weird happy techno dance song. That was probably the whole idea, but I wasn't really feeling it.

The crowd (surprisingly big, wasn't expecting a turnout of like over 200 people) obviously wasn't all that familiar with Laibach's earlier works, but took them enthusiastically enough and started moving around a bit more when Tanz mit Laibach and the rest of the set started. Hell: Symmetry was definitely a high point of the WAT + Alle Gegen Alle part, but the ultimate best section of the set were the first encores (America, Anglia and Francia). Francia was just perfect. The only things I didn't like about the concert were the people attending it. I love dancing and poo poo but there's a time and place for retarded spastic hippy dancing, and that time and place isn't Nova loving Akropola. Thanks for the rock hard smelly dreads in my face, stupid dude who felt that he absolutely had to push his way through the whole crowd right into front of me and start dancing at the weirdest times, I guess.

Saw the show in Sotckholm and I totally agree with this. Amazing stuff. I liked the new versions of the old tracks much more than I thought I would.

Oh and Eskil Simonsson from Covenant was there.

Great show.

Terrormisu
Mar 28, 2007

Will you sign my copy?
I know this is an extreme long shot, please bear with me. I was given a burned cd by a friend back in 2004, of a friend of his band, called Anstatt. I loved it, and over years of listening to the cd, and a hd crash, I no longer have a copy of the album. The only lead I have is the band's myspace page, which looks like they haven't visited or updated since 2009. I did send them an e mail but I am not hopeful of a response. Has anyone, especially in the Seattle region, heard of them and knows how I can get another copy of the cd. Thanks so much for any help possible.

http://www.myspace.com/anstatt

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Non Serviam posted:

It's loving awesome.

Since I keep seeing this band pop up, you guys might like Red Harvest if you haven't heard them. They're one of the few metal bands that I've seen that can actually pull off industrial style synths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZt0JWmieH0

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Since I keep seeing this band pop up, you guys might like Red Harvest if you haven't heard them. They're one of the few metal bands that I've seen that can actually pull off industrial style synths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZt0JWmieH0

I've always been meaning to check these guys out, but that track was rather underwhelming. The intro parts sounded like Aphex Twin and the "industrial" sound gave way to symphonic elements, which really bugged me.

Kind of the same thing that happened with Blazing War Machine.

Radio Paranoia fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 14, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=173068239408055#!/event.php?eid=173068239408055

quote:

Mod Club Theatre
722 College Street West
Toronto, ON

IMPROVISED. ELECTRONIC. DEVICE TOUR 2011
Monday May 23, 2011

Featuring
Front Line Assembly

with special guests
Die Krupps (GER)
iVardensphere

and
Mind. In. A. Box (exclusive tour concert!)

With special guest DJs: DJ Acucrack, Lazarus and DJ Skin

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Assholes need to come back to the UK where the :siren:REAL FANS:siren: are.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Made this for the gif thread, but PMF asked if I'd leave it here too:

:haw:

edit:
Also a gif for the OP

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 15, 2011

Defect Mechanism
Jun 2, 2005
Pants McGee's Shoost Butan

Non Serviam posted:

It's loving awesome.

As much as I fell in love with their first 3 albums and one EP, I can't help but feel disappointed by Perstechnique. It seem to lack the energy and creative "spark" that drove U.S.C.H and Pirun Nyrkki. Hell, Even the 2 Times Terror (MC Rakka Pee's Side Project aka "TK2.0") gave me so much hope as to how the new album would sound.

Alas, maybe that's what losing/replacing your main guitarist might do to the production, but what do i know? v:shobon:v

Defect Mechanism fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 15, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Tickets #1 & 2, ha

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 19, 2011

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Defect Mechanism posted:

Even the 2 Times Terror (MC Rakka Pee's Side Project aka "TK2.0") gave me so much hope as to how the new album would sound.

This is great! Thanks for pointing them out.

A rather underrated Terror EBM band that I'm enjoying lately is Die Sektor.

To Be Fed Upon is a really great, solid album, and their latest release Applied Structure in a Void is pretty cool too. It's got a lot of atmosphere that Combichrist soundalikes just lack completely.

The new one has a bit of psytrance influence which I'm still getting acquainted with though.

"Deathkill"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oStkVV-5Xak

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Radio Paranoia posted:

I've always been meaning to check these guys out, but that track was rather underwhelming. The intro parts sounded like Aphex Twin and the "industrial" sound gave way to symphonic elements, which really bugged me.

Kind of the same thing that happened with Blazing War Machine.

Yeah, it's sort of dull and they're not my favorite band, but it seems like 99% of metal bands with synths use some cruddy techno or gabber sounds or cheesey power metal keyboard wanking. I think the only metal band that I've thought had good sounding electronics were the older Fear Factory albums with Rhys Fulber on them.

teethgrinder posted:

Din Fiv

I was about to post a Din_Fiv link and couldn't believe We Are wasn't up on youtube, and then I saw it posted on the first page of the thread! This is still one of my favorite electro-industrial albums of all time.

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 19, 2011

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Sonar - made up of Dirk Ivens (Dive) and Eric Van Wonterghem (Monolith), who also double as Absolute Body Control. They make awesome noisy music out of very repetitive loops. See them. Do it.

It's true, everyone should hear Sonar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKaKo-FIoNY

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

I too adore Sonar.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

moss piglet posted:

It's true, everyone should hear Sonar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKaKo-FIoNY

Also Muslimgauze.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Also Muslimgauze.

If you want to check out Muslimgauze and like harshness, I suggest starting with Jaal Ab Dullah, Mazar-i-Sharif, and maybe Silknoose. His discography is huuuuuuge and theres a lot of boring stuff, but those three are really solid.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

Earwicker posted:

Architect

Architect is really cool. Consume Adapt Create and Lower Lip Interface were both great albums.

Proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqYSBlSVtts

Pneumatic Toaster
Mar 23, 2008
I've been listening to Dark Asylum Radio lately, and it has been a pretty welcome source of new music for me.

Combichrist, VNV, Wumpscut, Aesthetic Perfection, NIN, Grendel, occasionally some Tactical Sekt, and And One get play time. It also introduced me to Front242, Angelspit, Apoptygma Berzerk, Seabound, De/vision, Laibach, Funker Vogt, Rotersand, and a bunch of others.

Lots of mixes and a DJ set every once in a while.

I'm pretty happy they stopped playing that goddamn "You're listening to Dark Asylum Radio" soundbite every twenty loving minutes though. As if I'd forget what I decided to stream.

e: Hunting around found a SHOUTcast page that lists recently played tracks!

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

I used to listen to Digital Gunfire years ago. How does it compare? They've never done DJ sets though, AFAIK it's just a Winamp playlist on shuffle. But it is a massive playlist.

Pneumatic Toaster
Mar 23, 2008
I've never heard of Digital Gunfire, but I'll definitely look into that. It's about time I stop mooching nice loud music from friends.

"Winamp playlist on shuffle" is a pretty accurate description, but often times mixes or new beats are used to seamlessly lead into the next song. 90% of the time, I don't notice a change in tracks until new lyrics start. I'm probably not describing this very well.

e: Okay 90% is a little generous.

Pneumatic Toaster fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 21, 2011

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I like the Mirrorshades stream: http://mirrorshades.org/wc/radio.shtml
It's still up and running even though the person who maintained it died, apparently... Basically it's a playlist on shuffle, but there's lots of good stuff in it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Pneumatic Toaster posted:

I've never heard of Digital Gunfire, but I'll definitely look into that. It's about time I stop mooching nice loud music from friends.

"Winamp playlist on shuffle" is a pretty accurate description, but often times mixes or new beats are used to seamlessly lead into the next song. 90% of the time, I don't notice a change in tracks until new lyrics start. I'm probably not describing this very well.

e: Okay 90% is a little generous.

It's probably just got a crossfading plugin turned on.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Entropist posted:

I like the Mirrorshades stream: http://mirrorshades.org/wc/radio.shtml
It's still up and running even though the person who maintained it died, apparently... Basically it's a playlist on shuffle, but there's lots of good stuff in it.

Aw poo poo, he died over a year ago. Sadness.

waldorn
Aug 24, 2003

I've been listening to Dark Asylum Radio lately, and it has been a pretty welcome source of new music for me.

I'm always looking for good shoutcast streams that play this kind of music. Thank you for the link.

I've been listening to Schwarze Welle for a couple years now and it plays similar music. All of their DJ's speak German so it adds to the angriness.

http://www.schwarze-welle.com/

edit: spelling

waldorn fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 22, 2011

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010

Combichrist, VNV, Wumpscut, Aesthetic Perfection, NIN, Grendel, occasionally some Tactical Sekt, and And One get play time. It also introduced me to Front242, Angelspit, Apoptygma Berzerk, Seabound, De/vision, Laibach, Funker Vogt, Rotersand, and a bunch of others.

Lots of mixes and a DJ set every once in a while.

I'm pretty happy they stopped playing that goddamn "You're listening to Dark Asylum Radio" soundbite every twenty loving minutes though. As if I'd forget what I decided to stream.

e: Hunting around found a SHOUTcast page that lists recently played tracks!

Speaking of And One, has anyone listened to their newest album, Tanzomat, yet? I gave it a brief listen on youtube and it pretty much sounded like old-school EBM, take what you will from this, but personally I wasn't exactly impressed. Maybe I need to give it a more fair listen though.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

molotoveverything posted:

Speaking of And One, has anyone listened to their newest album, Tanzomat, yet? I gave it a brief listen on youtube and it pretty much sounded like old-school EBM, take what you will from this, but personally I wasn't exactly impressed. Maybe I need to give it a more fair listen though.

It's not even an old-school EBM album like Naghavi originally said it would be. It's a through-and-through milquetoast synthpopAnd One album with some EBM elements thrown in, really probably the weakest album the band has released this far. And I liked Bodypop quite a bit (even though I said it was mediocre in my earlier post)! Here's what I posted about the album earlier in this thread, my opinions haven't really changed:

So And One's Tanzomat came out last Friday and...

...it's pretty boring, really. Save the Hate is a completely forgettable opener (like, why-is-this-on-the-album-boring), Shining Star's a tried-and-true, safe And One track with absolutely nothing interesting going on. What a fantastic way to start off your new record, guys :thumbsup: Thankfully it gets a bit better with the alright slower track Only Your Dreams and Dancing in the Factory, which is just a ton of fun and definitely a standout. Angel Eyes - yay, another mediocre ballad. Seven is alright, nothing remarkable. Then up comes The Aim Is In Your Head Now and blows the rest of the record out of the water. poo poo, what a track, this is the poo poo I came here for. Electrocution owns a shitload as well, but Sex Drive, although definitely a solid track, pales in comparison to the last couple of masterpieces. The last part of the album is some random boring poo poo for two tracks until And I Love saves the album from absolute mediocrity with some goosebump-inducing stuff it has going on.

I thought it'd be easy for Naghavi to make a better record than the mediocre Bodypop, especially after seeing how good the new stuff on Bodypop 1 1/2 was, but ugh. I seriously love the gently caress out of And One, but Tanzomat just isn't very good. It better get better with subsequent spins in the stereo system :mad: But seriously, why in the poo poo is Save the Hate on this album? It's probably the worst song ever by this band, it's just bland as hell.

The live CD included in the deluxe edition is pretty drat good, though, especially Tanz der Arroganz.

Anyway I think we need to count ourselves lucky that he didn't end up making a pure EBM album. That thing probably would've been even more boring than whatever we got this time around.

VVVV Well, Dancing in the Factory is pretty good at least energy-wise. I mostly agree with you, but I'm pretty sure the name Tanzomat is supposed to be a joke.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 23, 2011

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

molotoveverything posted:

To put it simply: I'm a big fan of And One and I didn't enjoy it. It's incredibly repetitive and doesn't bring anything new to the table. Hell, there aren't even good dance tracks on it.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
I know there are some other mind.in.a.box fans here so I wanted to let you know that Stephen Poiss has released the first single from his sideproject, THYX.

It sounds like mind.in.a.box, and I'm perfectly happy with that. I just don't understand the need for spinning off a sideproject that's not going to be vastly different. So he can drop the altered vocals? So he can write the lyrics himself? Does he just want to keep MIAB following its current story from now on? I don't really care, whatever gives me more MIAB. He also said the new album is pretty much finished, but he's shopping around for a new label :fap:

edit: youtube video was removed.

somethingwicked fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 28, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Doesn't sound bad at all. Reminds me, I should get around to checking out Edge of Dawn. Weird that I haven't considering how obsessed with Seabound I am.

Pneumatic Toaster
Mar 23, 2008
I haven't heard anything from And One beyond Bodypop, their version of Timekiller, and the song Computerstar. Gonna go through this thread again and pick out what people have mentioned to be good.

I'm also mildly surprised to find out how many of the songs I've heard on Dark Asylum that I've liked have turned out to be Seabound.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I'm going to check out Mesh and De/Vision this Saturday in Chicago. Should prove to be a badass time.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

So Resistanz in Sheffield is this weekend. Anyone else going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Doesn't sound bad at all. Reminds me, I should get around to checking out Edge of Dawn. Weird that I haven't considering how obsessed with Seabound I am.
Also make sure to check out Ghost & Writer. Frank Spinath from Seabound + Jean-Marc Lederman from The Weathermen. It owns.