Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder man your face is gonna melt when your copy of First Anthology finally arrives. This thing is loving sleek. I hear the shirt is pretty boss as well. e: Yes I eventually caved in and bought the limited edition. It's hella cool but don't expect to fit it in your CD rack.

I didn't have the chance to listen to this properly before I had to get to work, but it appears the remasters are as good as they get and the new track Burning is pretty decent too, but not anything mindblowing. The real stars are the restored, new versions of old tracks, though, I mean even Timekiller, which I'm pretty sure every Pitchfork fan has coming out of their ears, is interesting again. The new Terra Incognita is amazing as well.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Godmachine posted:

I'm going to check out Mesh and De/Vision this Saturday in Chicago. Should prove to be a badass time.

I'm hitting up the Philly show on the 8th. I absolutely adore Iris and I'm excited to finally see Mesh live. De/Vision has some really good songs and it'll be nice to see them, but I stopped following their work for quite awhile. The last couple albums I got of theirs have been kind of boring.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Pneumatic Toaster posted:

I haven't heard anything from And One beyond Bodypop, their version of Timekiller, and the song Computerstar. Gonna go through this thread again and pick out what people have mentioned to be good.

I'm also mildly surprised to find out how many of the songs I've heard on Dark Asylum that I've liked have turned out to be Seabound.

Check out I.S.T., 9.9.9. Uhr, and Virgin Superstar. Also Agressor is decent too.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

teethgrinder man your face is gonna melt when your copy of First Anthology finally arrives.
Augh! My copy is still 1-2 weeks away apparently. If I'm lucky, perhaps I can pick it up at Legends of Synthpop + Assemblage 23 on the 6th (where my dealer has kiosk).

shinigami_ebola
May 14, 2010
Psyclon Nine is amazing.

Seriously, I've been a fan for years, and I don't think I've seen someone mention them yet. It's the epitome of aggrotech; although, it's something you have to grow into. I didn't like it at first since it's just high-pitched screaming, but once you listen to it enough, it's diabolical with a really textured sound.

I'm also quite surprised no one mentioned Throbbing Gristle when they were talking about "Old School" industrial, but I guess it's understandable. It just sounded like ghosts and spacey noises to me. Although my boyfriend really likes it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Augh! My copy is still 1-2 weeks away apparently. If I'm lucky, perhaps I can pick it up at Legends of Synthpop + Assemblage 23 on the 6th (where my dealer has kiosk).

Yeah, the thing looks really cool and the content is very, very good, but I'm not sure if I would've paid as much as you did if it was my only option. It's definitely a really nice packaging, like one of the absolute best-looking and feeling pieces I've ever seen, it's got fantastic remasters and absolutely stellar reworkings, but I felt the 40 € I paid for it was just about barely justified. I hope you won't be disappointed :ohdear:

In other news Gothminister's new album Anima Inferna is pretty drat solid, as always. The quality of material gets more forgettable around the middle part of the (short but sweet) record, but especially the opening four tracks are incredible. I'd advise checking out the standout track Juggernaut if you're into the more metal side of industrial.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 31, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

After conversion, I didn't pay a huge premium over you considering I'd have easily spent $35 on a shirt at a show if I ever got to see them.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
So apparently 16volt and Dead When I Found Her are playing at the Fez here in Portland on April 20th. Time to finally check those guys out and see if they put on a good show.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Anyone not at Resistanz is missing a fantastic time.
Even if Corporation is a little lovely, it's completely kicking the crap out of what Infest has become.

I got to meet Gothsicles and Caustic too so I'm mega happy!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Are the Gothsicles the friendly and cheerful people they come off as in interviews?

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Absolutely.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I saw Iris, Mesh, and De Vision last night in Chicago.

Simply an amazing show for such a small venue. The crowd was a bit standoffish at first, but warmed up quickly. I'm not a fan of Mesh and I hadn't heard Iris before. De Vision did a great job on stage, despite being part of the "2 guys and a computer" setup. Music was fantastically paced and many in the crowd in were actually dancing. All in all, the ticket price wasn't absurdly low for the amount of entertainment to be had. Of course, afterwards, I danced my rear end off at Neo then drove an hour and half while trying not to pass out.

If you haven't heard of them and you like synthpop, Iris is amazing!

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Godmachine posted:

Simply an amazing show for such a small venue. The crowd was a bit standoffish at first, but warmed up quickly. I'm not a fan of Mesh and I hadn't heard Iris before. De Vision did a great job on stage, despite being part of the "2 guys and a computer" setup. Music was fantastically paced and many in the crowd in were actually dancing. All in all, the ticket price wasn't absurdly low for the amount of entertainment to be had. Of course, afterwards, I danced my rear end off at Neo then drove an hour and half while trying not to pass out.

If you haven't heard of them and you like synthpop, Iris is amazing!

I got Awakening by Iris back in 2003 on a whim, I think it was actually recommended to me on Amazon based off of previous purchases. I swear that drat album didn't leave my car CD player for a good 6 months, and it would always find its way back in shortly after that. Their followup, Wrath, was just as equally awesome.

When I saw them open up for Seabound I picked up their EP, Hydra. It had been quite a few years after Wrath's release and I was excited by what I heard. That being said, I'm not really that crazy about their latest album, Blacklight. It's not a bad record by any means, but they went in a little bit of a different direction and it's just not working that much for me. Regardless, they're still one of the best synthpop acts out there (in my opinion), and they're going to be the highlight of the show when I see it next Friday.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Pope Guilty posted:

Are the Gothsicles the friendly and cheerful people they come off as in interviews?

One hundred percent.

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.

Godmachine posted:

Do you recall the De\Vision setlist by any chance? I'm debating going to see them in SF, because they don't hit the West Coast very often.

However... I really didn't care for the last album. I thought Subkutan and Noob were awesome.

I don't want to fork out the money and make the drive if they are leaning heavily on Popgefahr.

The Rage video was an awesome little dig at Depeche Mode too. :)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
With the De/Vision talk.. maybe one of you can help me.
I swear the beginning of Apocalyptica - I Don't Care sounds like a De/Vision song.. but I cannot find which. Is it maybe a similarity that I'm exaggerating? The first time I heard the song on the radio, I was in shock and awe thinking it WAS De/Vision... until I realized it wasn't them.

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.
Replying to myself here... They posted on Facebook:

Intro + Until the end of time
mAndroids
Addict
What you deserve
...Flash of life
Try to forget (lang)
What‘s love all about
Rage
Plastic heart
I regret
Ready to die
Time to be alive
Your hands on my skin
Flavour of the week

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Exi7wound posted:

Your hands on my skin
Flavour of the week

By far the best part of the night. The crowd was totally electric.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
I figure the people in this thread would thoroughly enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti1D9t8n0qA

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Zaiquiri posted:

holy poo poo this is a masterpiece

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

holy poo poo this is a masterpiece

Yeah I've never heard of these guys but that video got me to check them out. They aren't bad. But yes the video rules.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

Zaiquiri posted:

Well that got taken down quickly.
The song is still available on their website (under downloads) but it's not as funny without the video.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

spider_ross.avi posted:

Well that got taken down quickly.
The song is still available on their website (under downloads) but it's not as funny without the video.

Thanks! Totally playing that on my show this week.

Also the video is still up here: http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/54940/Rebecca-Black-Friday-IN-HELL/

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Are there any bands that sound like Angelspit or Dawn of Ashes that don't have a case of Edgy 15 Year Old Lyricist Syndrome?

Sorry of those two bands arn't Electro-Industrial, I don't know much about this kind of music.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

moss piglet posted:

Are there any bands that sound like Angelspit or Dawn of Ashes that don't have a case of Edgy 15 Year Old Lyricist Syndrome?

Sorry of those two bands arn't Electro-Industrial, I don't know much about this kind of music.

I happen to enjoy FGFC820, who I believe do not suffer from this affliction.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Legends of Synthpop + Assemblage 23 tonight :sissies:

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Thanks! Totally playing that on my show this week.

Also the video is still up here: http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/54940/Rebecca-Black-Friday-IN-HELL/

Haha oh my God thank you. That video was too good to lose

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Aren't Dawn of Ashes a melodeath band now?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Please recommend cyberpunkish bands like Front Line Assembly

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I hesitate to call them "like FLA," but they're definitely cyperpunkish and are playing a show together here in Toronto with FLA; you could check out mind.in.a.box.

You could also try earlier Velvet Acid Christ, like Fun With Knives or Calling Ov The Dead.

I think "cyberpunkish" is throwing me off. I think any band in the genre could fall under that arguably, but m.i.a.b.'s first three albums are cyberpunk concept albums. They're just more synthy than "industrial."

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Latis posted:

In no particular order, bands that I play before/after FLA when DJing:

Malhavoc
Cubanate
Haujobb
Numb
Velvet Acid Christ
Funker Vogt (but only F-117, really)
C-Tec
Dismantled
Project Pitchfork (but only Crash, really)
Swamp Terrorists
Mindless Faith
Hocico

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

The only solution is just to play FLA constantly because, really, why would you want to listen to anything else?

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

Twiin posted:

In no particular order, bands that I play before/after FLA when DJing:

Malhavoc
Cubanate
Haujobb
Numb
Velvet Acid Christ
Funker Vogt (but only F-117, really)
C-Tec
Dismantled
Project Pitchfork (but only Crash, really)
Swamp Terrorists
Mindless Faith
Hocico

I would put emphasis on Mindless Faith and Haujobb (esp the album Vertical Theory)

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010

deong posted:

With the De/Vision talk.. maybe one of you can help me.
I swear the beginning of Apocalyptica - I Don't Care sounds like a De/Vision song.. but I cannot find which. Is it maybe a similarity that I'm exaggerating? The first time I heard the song on the radio, I was in shock and awe thinking it WAS De/Vision... until I realized it wasn't them.

At first I was wondering where you got the idea there was any similarity, but then I heard the guy sing and I agree its eerily similar. Maybe they and De/Vision used a similar vocal filter or something.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
I went to the Legends of Synthpop show last night in Philly, and God drat.. that was a good show. Iris was amazing, although I would have preferred to hear a better mix of old and new tracks. I've always just been semi-interested in De/Vision, but they put on a good show as well. What really surprised me was how much I enjoyed Mesh. I have three of their albums and I was looking forward to seeing them, but it blew me away how great they sounded live. The crowd was energetic and it seemed like they were all having a good time.

If there's a tour date near you I really suggest checking it out - tickets are cheap!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I didn't post anything because I was still so upset about breaking my camera that night. I got permission to shoot the show shortly before, and then I stupidly broke my camera getting ready for it.

I thought Iris were awful again. I just don't see the appeal of going to a show to listen to someone just quietly sing a pile of long drawn out ballads.

Mesh though were incredible and the only band that did the full live thing, with spectacular drumming, and guitars. (Iris occasionally had a guitar out, but not in any meaningful capacity..) The set up with the two blonde guys mirroring each other was kind of strange though. Similar appearances, same keyboards, both doing backing vocals together. I thought they were brothers until I looked it up. I was disappointed they only played one track from We Collide, my favourite album.

Finally De/vision this time were outstanding. I'd seen them before and was completely unimpressed. Great stage presence, solid vocals... going to have to make a point of checking out their music.

Then I got to see Assemblage 23 for the first time (the promoter piggy-backed them on Legends of Synthpop in Toronto for some reason.)

I was so ... confused at first? They were so drat awkward looking. The keyboard player was so decidedly middle-aged. Overweight, sweaty, greying hair, big awkward glasses. Finally, I poo poo you not, he had a comb-over ponytail. Then Tom Shear ... is a bald stocky little man. This is completely unfair to him, but with him prancing around on the stage like that, and for lack of a better description, he's like a mini-Ronan. But without the sweat.

As well, Tom Shear can sing shockingly well with a huge range. His voice held up the entire time. Nothing nasal. Completely in tune. He completely sold me two songs in. Again though, unfortunately he only played one or two songs from Failure, and neither were my favourites. I don't think he even played much from Storm. Most of his older material came from Defiance, which was perfectly cool.

Back to a previous point, I don't understand why we have to get all these "industrial super-shows" in Toronto. It's cool to see so many great acts at once, but the problem is they're all restricted to really disappointingly short sets. This was one example.

I'm was so stupidly excited when mind.in.a.box announced a Toronto date, but the promoter kept saying "just wait until we announce the secret co-headliner!" Finally they announce FLA playing the same night ... which is spectacular ... but now miab is down to like 45 minutes. Why even bother bringing them here.

Obviously I'm going to see them and it will be bliss, but drat it, spread the love a bit. I'm pretty sure the scene here can sustain it.

(That said, I can't believe how OLD people were at Legends of Synthpop + A23. There were a few people younger than me up front, and then several guys that must have been in their 50s, with the vast majority being late 30s, into their 40s. I was disappointed nobody was moving, except for the young polyamorous group dancing together.)

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 9, 2011

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Latis posted:

Dismantled's self-titled album is pretty much really generic middle-era FLA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqLi2l74xCk

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

"I'll just get a glass of orange juice." "no no no NO NO!!!"

moss piglet posted:

Angelspit is actually my favorite industrial band right now because of their uncharacteristic pissed-off punk lyrics and that (to me, anyway) they sound totally unique from everything else that's going on in electronic music right now. But You might find the most recent works of BAAL, Velcra, or Acumen Nation to be somewhere in the ballpark.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

teethgrinder man your face is gonna melt when your copy of First Anthology finally arrives. This thing is loving sleek. I hear the shirt is pretty boss as well. e: Yes I eventually caved in and bought the limited edition. It's hella cool but don't expect to fit it in your CD rack.

I didn't have the chance to listen to this properly before I had to get to work, but it appears the remasters are as good as they get and the new track Burning is pretty decent too, but not anything mindblowing. The real stars are the restored, new versions of old tracks, though, I mean even Timekiller, which I'm pretty sure every Pitchfork fan has coming out of their ears, is interesting again. The new Terra Incognita is amazing as well.
It sounds amazing; it gives me goosebumps. It's better than I hoped for, though I guess my expectations for remasters have been set pretty low. It's even better than Seabound's No Sleep Demon vs. v2.0. The reworkings are faithful but sound fantastic. This is the most exciting release I've heard in ages from any music.

I'm not THAT familiar with Pitchfork's earlier catalogue, but I somehow never noticed how similar to Skinny Puppy that stuff is. I think it's the brighter, punchier drums that are doing it.

I actually really liked Burning. It sounds like the era of the band I really love.

I'm pleased that the version of I Live Your Dream included here is what I guess is the single version. It's different from what's on Eon:Eon, but it's similar to what all the videos on YouTube have, i.e.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJi9Te6xNY

That's uploaded from the official Project Pitchfork account by the way. They've posted perfect-quality versions of all their videos, insanely better than all the fan uploads, but they're completely buried in search results and have practically no views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

It sounds amazing; it gives me goosebumps. It's better than I hoped for, though I guess my expectations for remasters have been set pretty low. It's even better than Seabound's No Sleep Demon vs. v2.0. The reworkings are faithful but sound fantastic. This is the most exciting release I've heard in ages from any music.

I'm not THAT familiar with Pitchfork's earlier catalogue, but I somehow never noticed how similar to Skinny Puppy that stuff is. I think it's the brighter, punchier drums that are doing it.

I actually really liked Burning. It sounds like the era of the band I really love.

I'm pleased that the version of I Live Your Dream included here is what I guess is the single version. It's different from what's on Eon:Eon, but it's similar to what all the videos on YouTube have, i.e.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJi9Te6xNY

Yeah man, Burning has grown on me a lot after several listens. It's a very strong track, but it's still not, say, single material or anything. Also I've started to notice all kinds of interesting stuff in the remasters that I didn't notice in the original versions, I love it! Especially Bodies, which was already a good track, sounds a thousand times better than it ever did, IMO definitely one of the highlights.

However, I can't see where you're coming with the comparison to Skinny Puppy, I think they're just completely different bands, even in PP's early times v:shobon:v I think it's the very different feeling in the music that does it for me, even though some things are similar soundwise. SP is intensely bleak and depressing, whereas PP often has a glimmer of hope in its music, I'd say. Or something.

gently caress I love this band

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 14, 2011