Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

gently caress I love this band

Tell me about it, I loving adore them. They'd definitely be one of my desert-island artists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

However, I can't see where you're coming with the comparison to Skinny Puppy, I think they're just completely different bands, even in PP's early times v:shobon:v I think it's the very different feeling in the music that does it for me, even though some things are similar soundwise. SP is intensely bleak and depressing, whereas PP often has a glimmer of hope in its music, I'd say. Or something.

gently caress I love this band
I'm talking very specifically about the sounds and patterns they're using. For example, until it hits the chorus, Alpha Omega strikes me as though it could be an SP song. Even some of early vocals strike me that way.

But the feel is entirely different I agree.

But yes, I loving love this band.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

teethgrinder posted:

I'm pleased that the version of I Live Your Dream included

I really like I Live Your Dream, except the way he rhymes 'realm' with 'dream' jars so much and spoils it for me.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Complaining about Project Pitchfork lyrics :psyduck:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Furret Basket posted:

I believe that the Gothsicles addressed this already.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

Because they're a band where you can actually hear the lyrics because they're not mumbled/vocoded/screamed/distorted/layered under screeching electronics :v:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Speaking of vocoded ...

Skinny Puppy frontman Ogre has a new release slated for May 10th. A tumblr site popped up earlier this week for potential hype of the record.

http://ohgr.tumblr.com/

Not much there now except some album artwork and a promo pic, but I figure the lurkers in this thread might be interested in this forthcoming album.

If it's anywhere near as tasty as Devils In My Details then it should be a fairly excellent record.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
I don't like almost anything in the OP of this thread, yet, Rammstein is my favorite band.
Is something wrong with me? I just loving love Rammstein so much. Have every album, every DVD and know every single music by its title and could probably sing the tune (not the lyrics) all the way through.

Edit: I hate to be "that guy", but I find it a crime that of all the Rammstein videoclips, you decided to put Ich Tu Dir Weh, which is the less original videoclip (band performing in a stage) and the one that edits the music almost beyond recognition, while taking away the best part from it.

SGRaaize fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 14, 2011

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
My favourite Rammstein video is Haifisch, because the way it references the deaths in the other ones is really well done.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
That video is phenomenal, but nothing surpasses Ich Will. Brilliant without being pretentious, and still translating well the pace from the music.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Rammstein are really far too metal for this thread IMO.

Tingles
Jul 26, 2006

Furret Basket posted:

Rammstein are really far too metal for this thread IMO.

I'd have to agree with that. Although they are one of my favorite bands (and I think Ich Tu Dir Weh is their best new song) this thread doesn't seem to hit on what I listen to. But then again, a lot of great bands have been mentioned that I love but feel tend to get glanced over (Acumen Nation, 16Volt...), but I suppose that's just because I am an old lady that still enjoys the old Wax Trax stuff. :)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I think Rammstein fits in fine in this thread, where else would you discuss bands like them, Eisbrecher, Gothminister etc.? Those bands are definitely a part of the industrial scene, which shows in festival lineups (well, in Europe at least) and poo poo as well.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH
There are only a handful of Neue Deutsche Härte groups I can listen to often. Eisbrecher's self-titled album is superb. Some of the stuff Oomph! does is pretty well done too, though I can't remember any of their songs by name.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rammstein was basically my introduction to the whole industrial/gothic thing, and NDH has remained a pretty big thing for me. OOMPH! (in all its eras!) is probably my favorite band right next to Pitchfork and Laibach at the moment, and I'm loving excited like a motherfucker that they're finally making a new album. Monster was really loving good and everything they've said about the direction this time around makes ithe upcoming album sound even more promising.

Also the best day of my life: Zita Rock 2009, Pitchfork and OOMPH! right after the other. loving heaven :swoon:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 16, 2011

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Do Unheilig count as fitting into the same place as Rammstein? I really like them. Can't say I like Rammstein much at all anymore, I used to think they were the bees knees at school but I can only assume I grew out of them or something. Same story with most guitar based music these days. I'll be honest, guitars usually bore me unless they're being used purely as backing or the band are particularly interesting. (I still listen to System Of A Down for instance.)

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
If we can discuss The Birthday Massacre then we can discuss Rammstein. This 'genre' of music is so loving broad. Discuss!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Furret Basket posted:

Do Unheilig count as fitting into the same place as Rammstein? I really like them. Can't say I like Rammstein much at all anymore, I used to think they were the bees knees at school but I can only assume I grew out of them or something. Same story with most guitar based music these days. I'll be honest, guitars usually bore me unless they're being used purely as backing or the band are particularly interesting. (I still listen to System Of A Down for instance.)

Most definitely. Nasty tongues could say Unheilig is schlager-Rammstein for a mainstream audience, what with the tame lyrical themes and radio-friendly melodies, but I like them a whole lot as well. Are you aware what a ginormous loving thing they became with their album Grosse Freiheit last year? A relatively unknown NDH band releases an album that makes the loving record for the longest-standing #1 domestic record in Germany, ever. Insane! And of course, a lot of "fans" are accusing Der Graf of selling out, but personally my biggest problem with Unheilig is that it's always the exact same stuff. Grosse Freiheit is an incredibly solid album, definitely one of the best of 2010 for me, but it's practically the same album as ever. In any case, Unheilig has always had the potential for huge success and in my opinion Der Graf has definitely earned it. I actually saw UH live on ~the best day of my life~ at Zita Rock in 2009, they were the main act. Really good show, as I'd expected, but paled in comparison to OOMPH! and especially Pitchfork.

Also, what happened to you and Rammstein happened to me as well. I was madly into them when I first found them and listened to them a shitton, but then I started finding more and more industrial/electro music and I realized that they're not that special after all and that there's definitely a lot more bands out there. I still like them, occasionally spin one of their albums in the stereos and will definitely buy whatever new albums they'll release, but I certainly don't listen to them every day like I used to when I was 13 - 15 years old. I also gotta give them huge amounts of respect for the job they've done for German music and the industrial scene altogether. Without them I would never have found all this other awesome poo poo I listen to nowadays or be as interested in the German language as I am (I'm actually dreaming of becoming a German teacher in the future, thanks, Rammstein).

Kind of interesting to note is that Project Pitchfork were the ones to pull them out of obscurity. The story goes that back in 1994 or 1995 Spilles saw them live or something and immediately thought that here's something that'll be big one day, and took them as support for their Alpha Omega tour. The rest is history.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 15, 2011

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Are you aware what a ginormous loving thing they became with their album Grosse Freiheit last year?

Haha, no I had no idea. I haven't actually listened to that album yet either. Maybe I'll give it a go.

Speaking of the ol' Pitchfork, my copy of First Anthology arrived today and you're right, it's bloody fantastic.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

:hfive:

somethingwicked posted:

If we can discuss The Birthday Massacre then we can discuss Rammstein. This 'genre' of music is so loving broad. Discuss!
It needs to be because nobody listens to it.

Rammstein being a massive exception. I'm shocked that they can play in stadiums here.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Combichrist have been supporting them as well. What the hell is going on?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Furret Basket posted:

Haha, no I had no idea. I haven't actually listened to that album yet either. Maybe I'll give it a go.

Dude you should. It's 100% solid Unheilig stuff, this time with a traveling/seafaring theme.

But yeah, they really cleaned the tables in Germany last year. In addition to the insane record-setting hit album itself (the drat thing stayed number one for eighteen weeks) they released four top-20 singles (#1, #4, #13, #17), won the Bundesvision Songcontest and were nominated for a total of five Echo Awards, of which they won three (Album of the Year, Best Rock/Alt Act, Most Successful Production Team). Ridiculous.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

teethgrinder posted:

:hfive:

It needs to be because nobody listens to it.

Rammstein being a massive exception. I'm shocked that they can play in stadiums here.

I'm constantly amazed that any of it exists to listen to, honestly, given how ridiculously tiny the scene around it is. Makes me sad to think about.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Agreed. The fact that they tour anywhere but Germany, too.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Compared to many an underground scene the industrial/gothic scene is huge. We're not that special, you know.

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

"I'll just get a glass of orange juice." "no no no NO NO!!!"
Just got back from a punk-as-gently caress Angelspit show in Boston. That was definitely the most intimate setting I've ever seen a band play that wasn't at their practice space, and as a four-piece with a live drummer, they are heavy as hell. Karl even passed the mic to me to yell "gently caress the revolution", which is something I didn't think happened at industrial shows. Anyone remotely near NYC or New Jersey should do themselves a favor and see tomorrow night's show.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

teethgrinder posted:

I'm in Toronto and you can't buy tickets when they come here now; they sell out super quick and then go for $300-a-pop.

That being said I saw them when they played a smaller venue for the Mutter Tour, and they put on the best live show I've ever seen. So I can understand why.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Yeah, I have that Lichtspielhaus DVD and their live shows look like a total blast, so long as you're not miles away at the back.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
That's why I was right in the front when they came to Cape Town. Not as close as my buddy who was on the railing and right by the one pyro setup, but definitely able to see everything.

We get fuckall here in South Africa, but from my limited experience it was THE best live show I've ever experienced (U2 a few weeks later and people were phoning radio stations to say Rammstein blew them out the water). The sheer energy and charisma on stage was phenomenal!

I hope the rumours are true and they're coming back to SA next year!

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Furret Basket posted:

Unheilig has, since 2. Gebot, gone from being a pretty decent goth industrial act into albums composed entirely of generic goth power ballads.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Zaiquiri posted:

Unheilig has, since 2. Gebot, gone from being a pretty decent goth industrial act into albums composed entirely of generic goth power ballads.

Well Der Graf definitely can write those, so why not.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Well Der Graf definitely can write those, so why not.

It gets boring for me and I'd prefer he try to keep things varied and interesting.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
Just got back from 16Volt's album release party and live show here in Portland. I've never heard 16Volt in my life and they were pretty good, great show. Also loved Dead When I Found Her. My buddy and I bought them drinks, they were some pretty cool dudes. Apparently there's a huge industrial scene in Portland I've never gotten in touch with, and this concert really helped me make those connections.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Zaiquiri posted:

Just got back from 16Volt's album release party and live show here in Portland. I've never heard 16Volt in my life and they were pretty good, great show. Also loved Dead When I Found Her. My buddy and I bought them drinks, they were some pretty cool dudes. Apparently there's a huge industrial scene in Portland I've never gotten in touch with, and this concert really helped me make those connections.

16volt put on an incredible live show. Love those guys so much.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Zaiquiri posted:

The dream of the 90's is alive in portland.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Jose Mengelez posted:

The dream of the 90's is alive in portland.

My friend I was with hadn't been to an industrial concert since he was living in Detroit in the 90's, and he had a blast. He said the concert gave him 90's flashbacks to when he was a goth. I managed to get a signed album from Dead When I Found Her, and those guys were pretty awesome. I saw some agent from metropolis records hand them her business card, so hopefully that'll get their foot in the door so they can actually become somewhat mainstream in the industrial scene. Those guys deserve it.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Front 242 playing in Glasgow this December supposedly, you say?

gently caress yes, Christmas come early!

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
While Chicago gets plenty of decent acts passing through, I think I'll have more access to better shows when I move to the San Francisco Bay Area.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I'm moving to Toronto in a month or so. I'm really tired of only going to industrial gigs that I'm booking myself. Looking forward to being in a city where that isn't the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

As far as I can tell, all the gigs here in Toronto are being booked by a Sophia Varadan, and it seems like she won't last forever. Maybe you can help her. At least the market's bigger.