Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The just-released Neuroticfish album is good. Randolph & Mortimer and HEALTH as others have said. Sturm Cafe's album Zeitgeist is great. Riotmiloo's album Blackout is real great if you like kind intense rhythmic noise with vocals. Also there's Mortality by Choke Chain, and Concrete Playground by Monolith. Those are my best ofs for the year.

Wulfband are amazing for sure! If anyone in thread has a chance to go see them live and hasn't seen them previously, definitely do so. Their live shows are absolutely chaotic in the best possible way.

I definitely need to at least check out Neuroticfish and Choke Chain, I forgot about new Laibach as well.

Speaking of acts that released new albums this year, I forgot Angelspit is still active and noticed they were when I saw their Facebook page had been hacked and is now this and Call of Duty Mobile streams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

MassRafTer posted:

I definitely need to at least check out Neuroticfish and Choke Chain, I forgot about new Laibach as well.

Speaking of acts that released new albums this year, I forgot Angelspit is still active and noticed they were when I saw their Facebook page had been hacked and is now this and Call of Duty Mobile streams.

I used to really like Angelspit back around 2006-2010. Zoog has got to be the biggest, most embarrassing loser in industrial music, and that’s saying a lot.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

teethgrinder posted:

loving love mind.in.a.box's Black and White, but it's weirdly gone a bit in a prog direction.

that's exactly it. three minutes of song crammed into eight. you could see it coming, but uh yeah.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I used to really like Angelspit back around 2006-2010. Zoog has got to be the biggest, most embarrassing loser in industrial music, and that’s saying a lot.

I have no idea what he's done since Amelia Arsenic left other than I really like her solo work and every time I see an Angelspit album announced it looks embarrassing to listen to.

It would be hard for him to be more embarrassing than Sascha doing Lowtax level super fruit MLM things which feels extra sad given how big KMFDM was.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Sascha has done a lot of embarrassing poo poo, but Angelspit toured with Blood on the Dancefloor explicitly to get in front of a younger audience right before they got exposed as a pedo band. :yikeseroo:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

MassRafTer posted:

MLM things

there is nothing wrong with marxist leninist maoist things

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Sascha has done a lot of embarrassing poo poo, but Angelspit toured with Blood on the Dancefloor explicitly to get in front of a younger audience right before they got exposed as a pedo band. :yikeseroo:

That does seem worse.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Jesus Christ

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

divabot posted:

that's exactly it. three minutes of song crammed into eight. you could see it coming, but uh yeah.
Ouch, didn't even make ID:YD's top 25.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Ministry just dropped a Christmas song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bYd5SF-B0w

"It's Always Christmas Time," as opposed to "Everyday is Halloween," I guess. :shrug:

I listened to about two minutes.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

"It's Always Christmas Time," as opposed to "Everyday is Halloween," I guess. :shrug:

That song is 14 years old :hb:

I don’t think it’s that bad. It’s not poisonously ironic at least.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

david_a posted:

That song is 14 years old :hb:

I don’t think it’s that bad. It’s not poisonously ironic at least.

Oh wow, it showed up in my recommends as uploaded 45 minutes before I posted it, so I thought it was brand new.

I’m not really into Ministry after Psalm 69. :lol:

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
I feel like I'm the only person who really enjoyed Filth Pig (except for the last two tracks, could do without that awful Bob Dylan cover especially). Dark Side of the Spoon was awful though and I haven't felt like listening to anything of theirs ever since.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Auritech posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who really enjoyed Filth Pig (except for the last two tracks, could do without that awful Bob Dylan cover especially). Dark Side of the Spoon was awful though and I haven't felt like listening to anything of theirs ever since.

lol I was obsessed with Lay Lady Lay; one of my favorite Ministry tracks. Brick Windows is cool too

I’ve read a review or something that said Spoon was the last time Ministry tried to do something different, so I’ve tried to reevaluate it a bit since I also hated it in 99. It’s not nearly as bad as I remembered it being, although still not exactly an album I listen to very often.

Animosity (I’m not looking up the real title lol) and the Bush Trilogy have enough good stuff on them that I like them, but I draw the line after Coverup. I think that was the first time Al said the band was done and he should have kept his word.

I think it was in here that somebody described Moral Hygiene as “fine” and I agree with that. For modern Ministry that’s pretty drat high praise though

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Gabi Delgado died in 2020 and Robert Gorl released a new album under the band name Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft in 2021, Nur Noch Einer. I finally got around to writing a Wikipedia article for the album - I'd filled out the list of the other DAF albums in a big burst of editing around 2014.

Here's the Spotify link. I like it, but it's definitely a bookend for people who already like DAF. Delgado's absence is painfully apparent. But I think Gorl hits the DAF sound just right for most of it. It's like decades of DAF on one record without being literally a best-of.

I wouldn't object at all to future records like this, but I'd prefer they were under his own name and not as DAF.

divabot fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 24, 2023

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

divabot posted:

Gabi Delgado died in 2020 and Robert Gorl released a new album under the band name Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft in 2021, Nur Noch Einer. I finally got around to writing a Wikipedia article for the album - I'd filled out the list of the other DAF albums in a big burst of editing around 2014.

Here's the Spotify link. I like it, but it's definitely a bookend for people who already like DAF. Delgado's absence is painfully apparent. But I think Gorl hits the DAF sound just right for most of it. It's like decades of DAF on one record without being literally a best-of.

I wouldn't object at all to future records like this, but I'd prefer they were under his own name and not as DAF.

Saw them live a few weeks ago and he just doesn't have the energy that Gabi had

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

2DCAT posted:

Saw them live a few weeks ago and he just doesn't have the energy that Gabi had

i mean also he's 66, but yeah

was it good as a Robert Gorl show tho?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

divabot posted:

i mean also he's 66, but yeah

was it good as a Robert Gorl show tho?

Yeah, was on par with what he was doing last year too (standing completely motionless with his hands by his side while he spoke into a microphone). I assumed he would have been a bit more comfortable this year in a front man role but :shrug:

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

i remember someone in this thread making this gem. it's been in my xmas playlist ever since:

https://alexreed.bandcamp.com/album/every-day-is-xmas

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Auritech posted:

I agree that Filth Pig rules (and is super underrated!) but I love Lat Lady Lay and Brick Windows! Is there ANYONE that likes Dark Side of the Spoon? I thought it was awful too.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

PinkoBastard posted:

I agree that Filth Pig rules (and is super underrated!) but I love Lat Lady Lay and Brick Windows! Is there ANYONE that likes Dark Side of the Spoon? I thought it was awful too.

It's awful but compared to the last 20+ years of dogshit metal ministry it at least has some experimentation and ideas.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

PinkoBastard posted:

Supermanic soul is great but the rest is awful.

And Lay Lady Lay is one of the few Ministry covers that are waaaaay better then the original. I like Bob Dylan generally but that poo poo sucks.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

I'll concede I'm a little too hard on those last two tracks, but I'm glad to see more folks sticking up for that album than in years past.

I have, however, listened to Lead Into Gold since Paul Barker restarted it and I enjoyed that.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Auritech posted:

I have, however, listened to Lead Into Gold since Paul Barker restarted it and I enjoyed that.

I met Paul Barker on the Skinny Puppy tour last spring and in a drunken stooper, I told him that I "held him responsible for everything great that came out of the Ministry camp". lol Or at least I believe that's what I said. I giggled and he said "thank you". I think.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Stumbled across in the meme thread lol. Maybe not the best place to share but it feels ... adjacent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeoW1G2sEtU

Makes me think of 00s electroclash, but also all the weird boy-girl electro-industrial scene bands ... Helalyn Flowers, Girl and the Robot, Ayria even...

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Just playing old DAF records. Alles Ist Gut is still excellent! But what I'm wondering is: how the hell did this record become a massive hit in Germany? It was in the charts for most of a year. Does anyone know the story of why it took off so big?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
They were hot and edgy?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Music: Boy Harsher. (Posted on their Twitter.)

https://twitter.com/dolcegabbana/status/1741504524613783642

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

LMAO all the replies are people telling them they need to credit Boy Harsher for the music.

(And Linda Yaccarino contributing nothing whatsoever, but that's what she does.)

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Auritech posted:

Filth Pig is great. The Last Sucker was actually pretty decent for a gently caress it let's just go back and try and do the Stigmata sound again, but that's where I dipped out. It's definitely way better than Dark Side.

I was at work last night and an Apoptygma Berserk song came on Spotify, so I went and tossed on 7 since I haven't heard it in probably a decade, and straight off the bat a new version of Love Never Dies (Part 1) comes on with the original Carmina Burana sample ripped out of the chorus and a legally distinct Walmart version of it put in it's place that is so bad I almost bust out laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rIpv-h85S4

I'm never getting rid of my MP3 collection because of poo poo like this.

edit: Apparently the song was changed in 2003 and I didn't know because I am loving ancient.

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 8, 2024

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Whole lot of industrial bands getting stung over Carmina Burana samples over the years.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

It's been always funny how the movie studio lawyers never went after musicians the way the song publishing rights' lawyers went after phrase sampling. Imagine how much more debt Velvet Acid Christ would be in.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

Whole lot of industrial bands getting stung over Carmina Burana samples over the years.

I bought a banned copy of KMFDM's Naive off ebay, ripped it, and resold it way back in the day. Wish I had held onto it, but I was broke as hell.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I bought a banned copy of KMFDM's Naive off ebay, ripped it, and resold it way back in the day. Wish I had held onto it, but I was broke as hell.

I got mine for like $1 from a sale of unwanted media at my local library

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Honestly I think the re-released version without the uncleared samples is better, but neither version is anywhere near as good as the next few releases imo. The ban probably hyped it up more than it really deserved.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

what did yo! mtv sports do about it? change the title song, pay out royalties?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://www.synthpopfanatic.com/news/the-25-most-anticipated-synthpop-releases-of-2024/

Hyped for new TR/ST!!

Also looking forward to Ashbury Heights, Bootblacks, and Pitchfork as always. Gotten more into their late career path lately after bouncing off at first.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

I will believe it when I see it.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Went to see Agent Side Grinder last night. They were real great live, and if you get the chance you should definitely see them. I mean, if they're remotely your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Sigh, Code Orange tour cancelled. I missed the last one for really stupid reasons. Maybe one day I'll get to see them, when they're beyond relevancy.