Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

Oh my loving god, just look who Angelspit are touring with.

Was thinking about going to this, but I searched YouTube for this Blood on the Dance Floor and now I don't think I want to go, even for Angelspit. Their music seriously sounds like Justin Bieber to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

molotoveverything posted:

thats awesome, are Yaz and Anders getting back together? I liked Kari, but Yaz was just a better singer/personality for Ashbury Heights.

Highly doubt it. Both Yaz and Kari have their own musical projects now. I hadn't heard anything of Kari's, but Yaz's is called "Javelin" only spelled all wrong.

Here's a link to preview http://youtu.be/pkkeyK_CKkY

It sounds kind of like 80's buttrock to me...

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Some of Faderhead's tracks are pretty appalling for misogyny and make me uncomfortable hearing them in a club.

I was going to say, if there's a poster child for "brodustrial," it would be Faderhead. I never understood why that got played in clubs that cater to industrial... it literally sounds just like regular, standard non-industrial club music to me.

As for Combichrist, I never got into them... something about there music reminds me of arena rock, like KISS or something. I never heard nachtmahr, but that dude is such a wannabe nazi I don't understand how anyone in Europe could look at that and not feel *incredibly* uncomfortable.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Twiin posted:

3: A public relations protip to Anna, or anyone else in this scene: When being questioned about your questionable fashion choices, never, ever, ever start an unprompted conversation about how the swastika is a Buddist symbol. That's like Douglas P. 101 right there.

Came here to point this out... The only people who ever try to explain the swastika are neo-nazis and trolls who are trying to get a rise out of people. I wonder what her answer would've been if she were questioned about the whether or not she thought the Halocaust was real...

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

quote:

...people should know what they’re talking about before they make a statement. The rebel flag was the State flag of Georgia until 2001, it’s not just a civil war thing. It was a State flag until 11 years ago, it’s very recent.

A Swedish guy trying to explain American iconography to us. Okay.

Does it not occur to him that it was the state flag of Georgia (and is still flown above the South Carolina state capitol) because of the Civil War?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Non Serviam posted:

Since you don't want to refer to religion, the case of the hammer and sickle is much easier. About 100 million people were killed as a direct result of communism and many more were enslaved by it; yet nobody raises the alarm when we see Rage Against the Machine using Che Guevara images or when bands use DDR uniforms.

I don't want to continue derailing the thread and, I agree, we'll have to agree with the fact that we will disagree on this.

I'm not pro-communism but at least it's an ideology that started with the idea of making people's lives better. Yeah, it spun way out of control from what Karl Marx believed in, but at least the root of the idea was meant to be positive.

The Confederate States of America seceded from the union to defend landowner's rights to own black people as slaves and treat them as property. There's no positive core to it's founding. There's no reason to celebrate the confederate flag unless you are for the oppression of black americans. Even when supposedly "legit" groups and organizations use it today, there's a bit of wink-wink nudge-nudge about it.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Loving the new Dead When I Found Her.

For the guy who is looking for something like Tactical Neural Implant FLA, early Haujobb has a kind of similar vibe - "Homes and Gardens," as well as "Freeze Frame Reality" might be worth checking out if you haven't already.

Sorry, don't have anything more current or obscure.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

And One has to be one of the worst bands in the scene to google.

I remember trying to search "Download" in the late 90's...

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm convinced that touring with Blood on the Dance Floor was an hilarious troll.

According to Zoog in some interview on youtube, it was an attempt to court a younger audience, mainly because Angelspit hadn't really had the opportunity to do many all ages shows. Blood on the Dance Floor was nothing but all ages shows.... because it's a loving pedophile band.

I actually actually never heard of Blood on the Dance Floor before that tour and when I check them out on youtube, I decided to skip the show because I really didn't want anything to do with them.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Methanar posted:

So what seperates this genre from other similar ones like Hardstyle or dnb?

Whats the actual appeal or key element of it

I've written paragraphs and paragraphs trying to answer this and I can't.

Short answer: Industrial music is music for depressed and mopey nerds, goths and goths-adjacent, no matter what era it is, even though the style may evolve and change from noise to pop to dance to metal, and all combinations in between. It's always dark, often depressed, sometimes angry (but not like metal), sometimes poppy (but a little subdued), and often with a bit of an intellectual streak (though even that may not always apply).

The fact that there's music called industrial from past eras just makes it more likely that fans of current industrial music will check out and enjoy older industrial styles. For example, someone just discovering new industrial music today might be listening to something clubbier and dance oriented, but then will find out about 90's era KMFDM or Ministry and suddenly be turned on by distorted heavy metal guitars interacting with samplers and drum machines, or they might discover 80's era KMFDM or Ministry and find appeal in the 80s staccato dance/synthpop style, or they might have their mind blown by 80's era Einsturzende Neubauten and decide music's not industrial unless there's actual industrial machinery involved. Fans inclined to make their own industrial music often will turnaround and assimilate past styles with current styles when creating their own future style of industrial music - often someone will be motivated to make industrial music because they feel that a certain era or sub-strain of industrial music got it "right," and the current crop of prominent industrial acts have it all "wrong." There's always disputes about what style or combination of styles is "true industrial music," but the more you learn about industrial music and its almost 40 year history, the less inclined you are to argue about it.

Industrial music also tends to crib from the culture around it. Avant garde music from the 60s and 70s inspired the earliest industrial bands to make their own noisey music without the musical training and doctoral degrees, but then the synthpop and dance music of the 80s crept into industrial music, followed by the heavy metal of the 90s for a while there, and then the influence of new dance genres from breakbeat to trance to IDM to dubstep today.

So what separates industrial from Hardstyle and DnB? Industrial probably assimilated elements of both at one time or another and moved on, mixing it with avant garde, post punk, goth pop, coldwave, future pop, power noise, aggrotech, witch house and anything else in its path. What separates Hardstyle from DnB? Whatever it is, industrial doesn't know. It just keeps eating and absorbing; if it's dark, if it's alternative, if it's not country/western or polka or klezmer music, industrial will leech from it for a while, move on, and then go back to it later and pick at the scraps. All the while, everyone will be asking, "but is this *really* industrial music?"

Long answer: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0199832609/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=CV1APZK6IZXU&coliid=I165MBC7AI9XO

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Is this book any good?

Never read it, it's sitting on my wish list. Some day.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

boo_radley posted:

Stop whatever idiot nonsense you're doing right now and brew some tea or warm your bong and get ready for the next hour of your life:

CORVUS CORAX und WADOKYO - Wacken Open Air 2013 Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsBC0AO_zWg

Dothraki cosplay?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Overbite posted:

I've been thinking about christian music for some reason. There's christian rock and christian rap but is there christian industrial?

There's christian everything. In the late 90's there was some kind of christian death/black metal movement. I bagged groceries with a guy who was in a christian death metal band... his favorite band was Cradle of Filth, had shoulder length dyed black hair... it was confusing.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

hatelull posted:

I have the assimilate book, and it's not a easy read. He does a lot of cultural and political theory, and at times I had the urge to skip forward to get to a point where he's actually discussing the music. However, when he's talking about the scene and the albums a lot of really solid artists are presented. Skinny Puppy get a whole chapter I think. However, Key blasted it on facebook saying most of it was inaccurate or just plain wrong. That dude is super whiny though, so who knows.

I just started reading it, I'm just past the point where he talks about the Italian Futurists and William S. Buroughs. I love the fact that he goes there with it. I've long been fascinated by the Italian Futurists movement, it's just too bad they were, literally, capital-F Fascists under Mussolini. They invented all kinds of mechanical instruments that were destroyed in WW2.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Twiin posted:

6: Le Matos - Join Us
I don't even know what kind of music this is. Italian Troncore. Vangelis does Georgio Moroder on the set of Zombi 2. Sega Master System racing games fondly remembered through fever dreams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7ncmWgDz6U

Thank you so much for this, it has become my new favorite thing.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I hate top 10 lists; I have a such a hard time ranking things. First I was going to go with an unranked list, but that lacked direction. Then I had the bright idea of ranking everything by number of plays according to iTunes (which did not take into account car listens...) but then that screwed over a few things just released in November and December, so...

Here's my top 10, mostly by number of plays at home, but also weighted by release date and my gut. I realized afterwards that I did it "upside/down" and went from best to not best, but oh well.

1. Architect - Mine
When I first previewed this on Amazon.com, and heard the soulful female vocals, I thought Amazon must've hosed up and uploaded the wrong album or something. Checked around... Nope, that was the new Architect album. This album feels so very out of left field, not at all what I was expecting, and yet is easily the most satisfying, and by far my personal most listened-to release of 2013 - all the more impressive since it was released in September.
http://hymen-records.bandcamp.com/album/mine

2. Rob - Maniac (original soundtrack)
I loved horror movies before I discovered industrial music. I think Skinny Puppy's use of samples from horror movies may have attracted me to the genre as a youngin', and one of my favorite things about horror movies in the 80s were the synthesizer soundtracks. I think that when they hired Rob to do the soundtrack for the new Maniac remake starring Elijah Wood, they must've said, "We want something that's like Wendy Carlos's "A Clockwork Orange" soundtrack meets the Goblin soundtracks from the late 70s," and it works both in the movie and as a stand-alone listening experience.
http://youtu.be/1gT8bXSwWSU

3. Front Line Assembly - Echogenetic
It's like a cross between AirMech and my favorite FLA album, Epitaph.
http://youtu.be/lpPw8Miy7JI

4. ∆aimon - ∆aimon
I don't think I've seen any mention of this album in this thread, no idea why. I loved Flatliner, but this definitely has a different feel; a tiny bit more uptempo and the vocals are mixed louder, which may be why some people don't seem to like it. I had a friend whose immediate reaction was, "the music's great, but OH GOD THOSE VOCALS ARE AWFUL!" and I didn't know what was wrong, so YMMV.
http://aaimon.bandcamp.com/album/aimon

<shameless plug>Oh, look, it just so happens I did a fan remix of "Seraphim," one the songs from this album: https://soundcloud.com/mikeoday/seraphim-mikeoday-remix</shameless plug>
Here's the original version of Seraphim: https://soundcloud.com/aaimon/seraphim
More Seraphim remixes: https://soundcloud.com/groups/aimon-seraphim-remixes

5. Le Matos - Join Us
Stolen straight from Twiin's list, but ever since he posted it, I bought it and have listened to almost nothing else.
http://youtu.be/mFkDnZ4ijw8

6. Die Sektor - (-) Existence
I didn't really get into the last two Die Sektor albums, but this one really hits the spot for me. Loud aggrotech which wears its dubstep influences on its sleeve, but doesn't go overboard (in my opinion).
http://youtu.be/wrooIOtzi4g
I wanted my example to be the song "Unborn," but I can't seem to find it anywhere online, so if you're on the fence, check out that song.

7. Youth Code - Youth Code
What can I say that hasn't already been said? Industrial with a lo-fi/DIY punk mentality that seems to be taking the world by storm.
http://youthcode.bandcamp.com/album/youth-code

8. Covenant - Leaving Babylon
Oh Covenant, what are we to make of you? This and their previous release, Modern Ruin, have a lot of "okay" tracks, songs that aren't awful, but don't really evoke a response, a few "good" tracks, a stinker or two, and then that ONE song that elevates the entire album. Modern Ruin had "The Beauty and the Grace," which somehow made the songs immediately before and after it ("Kairos" and "Get On") better tracks. This one has "Not to Be Here," which literally almost made me tear up the first time I listened to it, and NOTHING MAKES ME DO THAT. While it doesn't quite make the song immediately after it, "Leaving Babylon II," any less existentially non-essential, it definitely stamps the entire album with a certain melancholy vibe, making subsequent listens richer than the first one was (for me, anyway). So, in other words, "Not to Be Here," traveled back in time and retroactively made me like the songs before it more.
http://youtu.be/6docjTfKpPU

9. Project Pitchfork - Black
WTF, guys? If not for this thread, Project Pitchfork would've fallen off my radar years ago, yet no mention in anyone's year-end roundup? I think this is one of their strongest albums in years.
http://youtu.be/qrWoTnWjWM8

10. Skinny Puppy - Weapon
When I was a teenager, if you had told me that I'd be ranking an FLA album above a Skinny Puppy album, I probably would've punched you, but here we are. Don't get me wrong, Weapon is the best Skinny Puppy release of the new era, but some of cEvin Key's synth blurps and burps, and the vocal autotune/formant effects, are beginning to get on my nerves... Still, a lot of solid tracks on this one.
http://youtu.be/079BgH_cquk

Oh poo poo, I just realize I did my list backwards/upside down to how people normally do top 10 lists, oh what the gently caress I don't even care.

Rod Hoofhearted fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 30, 2013

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

teethgrinder posted:

The only album I have to add to the albums-of-the-year conversation that I haven't seen yet, is Fearless by Legend: https://soundcloud.com/legend-band

That's a 2012 release.... but hey, it'd be fun to see everyone's "Top 10 New to You" list.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

I guess Andy wasn't joking about the redneck thing.

Someone needs to strand the dude somewhere awful like West Texas, see if he still loves confederate flags and redneck bullshit after dealing with the real thing.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

quote:

Actually, the keyboard player on [the track] ‘Move’ is Al Jourgensen. I called him up and said: ‘How do you want me to list you on the record?’. He goes: ‘just call me Dog’. So I called him Dog, right? About two years later he calls me up, very upset that I had called him Dog on the record, and why didn’t I list his proper name?

Yeah, this about sums up everything I've ever read or heard about Al Jourgensen.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

hatelull posted:

Just put Tactical Neural Implant on repeat.

I was honestly going to suggest this, too.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

teethgrinder posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the new Seabound?

It's good. Not as good as Double Crosser, but there's no bad Seabound.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

The Cleaner posted:

What would you say was the best/most memorable thing you guys have ever seen at an industrial show?

And also what was the worst?

Best: Einsturzende Neubauten touring for Ende Neu at the Rave in Milwaukee. I managed to get right up in front, against the metal security barrier.

Worst: Einsturzende Neubauten touring for Silence is Sexy at the Metro in Chicago. Blixa kept getting mad that people were talking during the quiet parts of the songs, which prompted some drunk guy to start antagonizing the band and being a dick. Also, Blixa was apparently mad at his guitarist that night (Alexander Haack was playing bass at this point). Lotta bad energy. All around disaster, embarrassing to watch.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

This is my favorite 3 Teeth video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNFFWQW10vw

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

In case you're not following the latest Nachtmahr drama, Tommy Boy commissioned this:

So, wait... even in his own fantasy version of this, his side is gunning down unarmed protestors?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Puntification posted:

Had to look them up and didn't want to actually listen to any of their music, they're nu-metal pedophiles I'm guessing?

I looked them up when Angelspit toured with them, and it's straight up pop. Like, surgary, Justin Bieber-y pop - just dressed in Hot Topic clothes. I was baffled and didn't go. I haven't really liked Angelspit much since then, either.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Prop Wash posted:

Can't speak for the entire subgenre but I thought Speak in Storms was a strong album overall, even with that song about the airplane crashing on top of some clowns. If there's just a crushing amount of Seabound-like music coming out then by all means post some other good examples!

It's a good album that's following a string of three GREAT albums and a 5+(?) year hiatus. As for Seabound-like music, there's Frank Spinath's side projects, Edge of Dawn (which I like) and Ghost & Writer (which I don't).

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Speaking of ID:YD's year end list, I'm just perplexed at their #1 pick. Seeming was interesting for being the pop project of that-guy-who-wrote-that-industrial-book, and I liked The Burial well enough the first few times I heard it, but something about it just doesn't do anything for me.

Also puzzled that Mircalla didn't get any love, though that may be due to a string of small releases... but put all their 2014 work together on a playlist and it's the "album" I listened to the most this year.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Armor-Piercing posted:

I've never really listened to Angelspit, but the first thing that will always come to mind when I think of them is that they once toured with Blood on the Dance Floor.

Ironically, their music actually got shittier after touring with Blood on the Dance Floor, so...

Seriously, "Blood, Death and Ivory," "Hideous and Perfect," and "Larva Pupa Tank Coffin" are all great. Then they brought in the guitars got more and more forgettable.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I don't get how a right wing reactionary goes by the name "Synth Lord." Like... where would synthesizers and synthesizer music be without intellectuals, gays, Europeans, and other assorted weirdos that all fall under what the right-wing pigeonhole of "liberals." What would Republican synthesizer music even sound like?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

After "Hello My Name Is", Zoog released "The Product," without DestroyX. No comment/announcement that she was no longer part of Angelspit or anything. It was weird. I can't remember one loving song off of "Hello My Name Is" or "The Product," and that's a bummer.

Also, before Angelspit added guitars to their live show, it was still pretty cool. I can't remember when I saw them, but they were opening for KMFDM and it was just Zoog and DestroyX on stage and Zoog had his custom joystick controller and there were no laptops on stage (that I noticed anyway).

I'm not totally against guitars. I like 3Teeth. But there's an unfortunate trend in industrial music of bands starting out electronic and being really cool/interesting/different and then adding guitars and just going "chugga chugga chug chug" on every song.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Eh, I've been just listening to some Witch House for my joke music genre that vaguely sounds like industrial music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCIojbRhBns

I unironically enjoy Witch House. :colbert:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Armor-Piercing posted:

ID:YD's top 25 for last year has an album by VLHLL in it, which has some really cool songs.

Yup, read ID:YD every week thanks to this forum. I bought the new Valhall on its release day. Plus the Mircalla/Valhall split releases are some of my favorite albums of the past few years. Pretty much buying everything Mircalla releases these days. Digging Aaimon a lot, too.

To me, some of the most exciting "industrial" releases of the past few years have come out of the "witch house" genre.

I've also been getting into "outrun electro." It started when Twiin posted Le Matos "Join Us" on his top 10 of 2013, and I've just been digging into that genre more and more. Really like Kavinsky, Perturberator and Vogel. Saw the movie "Drive" because of the music, really loved it. Downloaded Hotline: Miami to my PS3 that mostly gets used for Netflix these days, like it a lot, but never finished it.

I'm also turning 34, so... old fart.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Nihil. Yeah, it's kind of a metal album, but I think it has aged the best. It might also be the only album that doesn't have a song where they say "KMFDM" in the lyrics.

Songs like "Juke Joint Jezebel," "Beast," "Terror," and "Disobedience" still get my blood pumping to this day.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Overbite posted:

For people who wanna get into outrun / synthwave / whatever this genre is called check out the following artists and go from there

Thanks for this, never heard of Carpenter Brut before, really loving it.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Omi-Polari posted:

That song Piano is like if I got gangbanged by David Bowie and Duran Duran all at once.

Holy gently caress, this song! I sure hope this guy doesn't freaking implode again.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

It sure felt like it was an implosion when he didn't release any new material for five years.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

New Ashbury Heights video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hdSkqd0wfM

Still love the new album, but prefer Take Cair Paramour. I'm more into the retro-synthpop thing than the Top 40 dance music vibe the new album kind of gives off at times. New female singer's voice is better than the previous female singer's. At least as good as the first singer, so I look forward to future releases.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I think Rolling Stone killed the comments section of this article, I just see "Add A Comment" and nothing to click on or read.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Fenrir posted:

I have been an on UNGODLY massive retro Skinny Puppy kick lately. It's like I got shoved into a time warp back into 1989 or something. Help me :ohdear:

I'm also pretty out of the loop on modern industrial, so if anyone's got stuff I haven't heard before that captures that same flavour, I'd totally appreciate it. In the meantime I'm listening to The Choke for like the 7th time this week, and that's after I listened to Too Dark Park twice already in full today.

In addition to Dead When I Found Her and Youth Code, I'd recommend V▲LH▲LL's "Shadows" EP:

https://vlhll.bandcamp.com/album/shadows

If you like it, check out the album it's based on, "Leaning on Shadows," even though that's not very Skinny Puppy-ish.

Other than that, if you're not familiar with Skinny Puppy side projects, Download's "Eyes of Stanley Pain" is the most Puppy-ish, but from the 90s.

I can't think of much else modern that evokes Skinny Puppy without being mawkish. Also from the 90s, there's Front Line Assembly's "Tactical Neural Implant," and "Hard Wired," which aren't Puppy-ish per se, but scratch the same itch for me. Haujobb's "Homes & Gardens" and "Freeze Frame Reality," too, but now I'm just recommending stuff from the same era, not necessarily modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Here's the German tracklisting for Covenant's "The Blinding Dark."

1. Fulwell
2. I Close My Eyes
3. Morning Star
4. Cold Reading
5. A Rider on a White Horse
6. Interlude (1:50)
7. Dies Irae
8. Sound Mirrors (Fulwell)
9. Interlude (Alternate) (1:06)
10. If I Give You My Soul
11. Summon Your Spirit

I checked the tracklisting on Amazon.de to make sure I had each "Interlude" in the right place.