Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

13Pandora13 posted:

I remain a big fan of Combi and Grendel in spite of the anger/misogyny. I'm a chick and I'm not a hateful person, I just like angry music.

Less angry:

I:Scintilla
Kidneytheives

One of my all-time favorite bands is/was (their band existence is in limbo) Orgy. Punk Statik Paranoia wasn't a good album but I still play Candyass and Vapor Transmission regularly.

(edit)

One more decidedly less angry band: Pop Will Eat Itself

Woah I didn't know I:Scintilla released a new album. Gonna order that poo poo now. It's nice seeing them get a legitimate fanbase, I thought I was the only person who knew them when they only released The Approach.

One really good (albeit shortlived) band is Firewerk. They released two albums in the early 2000's and never got big at all, but I thought their sound was really good. Reminds me of 90's era KMFDM. Their stuff is really hard to find these days, I think they still sell albums to people who contact them via their MySpace, but I'm not sure. Good stuff though. I managed to snag their albums for free from some iTunes store promotion before they disbanded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
KMFDM are about to drop another Mother loving dirty bomb

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Quirk posted:

Thanks, the first two links are me. The second song I'm thinking of seeing if Lucia or maybe Chibi'd be down to sing the bridge for. I'd love to make something where they'd duet though :swoon:

Brittany Bindrim could kick Chibi's rear end any day.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
Yeah Laibach is probably my favorite band ever. Not just because of their music but their image, philosophy, and bizarre message are hilarious at worst and brilliant at best. When I saw them live in Portland a couple years ago they were really, really good. Played Volk in its entirety, then switched gears to some WAT tracks and Alle Gegen Alle. They'll always have a place in my heart just for making up their own loving country. I ended up buying an NSK passport for my brother for his birthday the year after and told him he has to get at least one visa stamped in it before he dies.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Furret Basket posted:

Now Laibach know how to do covers.

Yesss. 2525 is one of my all-time favorite covers they've done and it seems to get overlooked a lot. Laibach are basically musical and political trolls in real life.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
So apparently 16volt and Dead When I Found Her are playing at the Fez here in Portland on April 20th. Time to finally check those guys out and see if they put on a good show.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
I figure the people in this thread would thoroughly enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti1D9t8n0qA

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

holy poo poo this is a masterpiece

Yeah I've never heard of these guys but that video got me to check them out. They aren't bad. But yes the video rules.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Thanks! Totally playing that on my show this week.

Also the video is still up here: http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/54940/Rebecca-Black-Friday-IN-HELL/

Haha oh my God thank you. That video was too good to lose

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Furret Basket posted:

Do Unheilig count as fitting into the same place as Rammstein? I really like them. Can't say I like Rammstein much at all anymore, I used to think they were the bees knees at school but I can only assume I grew out of them or something. Same story with most guitar based music these days. I'll be honest, guitars usually bore me unless they're being used purely as backing or the band are particularly interesting. (I still listen to System Of A Down for instance.)

Unheilig has, since 2. Gebot, gone from being a pretty decent goth industrial act into albums composed entirely of generic goth power ballads.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Well Der Graf definitely can write those, so why not.

It gets boring for me and I'd prefer he try to keep things varied and interesting.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
Just got back from 16Volt's album release party and live show here in Portland. I've never heard 16Volt in my life and they were pretty good, great show. Also loved Dead When I Found Her. My buddy and I bought them drinks, they were some pretty cool dudes. Apparently there's a huge industrial scene in Portland I've never gotten in touch with, and this concert really helped me make those connections.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Jose Mengelez posted:

The dream of the 90's is alive in portland.

My friend I was with hadn't been to an industrial concert since he was living in Detroit in the 90's, and he had a blast. He said the concert gave him 90's flashbacks to when he was a goth. I managed to get a signed album from Dead When I Found Her, and those guys were pretty awesome. I saw some agent from metropolis records hand them her business card, so hopefully that'll get their foot in the door so they can actually become somewhat mainstream in the industrial scene. Those guys deserve it.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Bleh, I hope this isn't dark stuff. The first two ohGr albums were awesome because they were really poppy music with Ogre singing over it. I never bothered picking up Devils in My Details because it sounded like he was trying to make it sound like Skinny Puppy, and if I wanted to listen to crappy Skinny Puppy I'd just listen to their newer albums.

I actually think the best new Skinny Puppy stuff are songs like Pro-Test and Optimissed, but I guess everyone bitched up a storm so they had to go back and try to retread their old stuff and try to make brappy dark industrial. I wish they'd just make a synthpop album with Ogre rapping in his cut-up processed vocals over it or something like that.

The second half of the album is basically Skinny Puppy and The Postal Service Make an Album

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wish they had gone more in the direction of Frozen Sky than anything they ended up doing. Skinny Puppy and OhGr are indistinct to the point where you can slap the OhGr name on a Puppy album now and I think that's a loss.

Yes. Frozen Sky is one of my favorite songs made by Key and Ogre. Also what happened with Dave the Rave? I thought he just moved on to other projects and didn't have time for Skinny Puppy anymore. Was there actually some kind of tension between him and the band? Because if so that's a shame. He's really good.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

W424 posted:

I just got the new Necro Facility signed preorder disc. The I found the preview on soundcloud, loving gently caress, I´m not even going to rip this. They went pop as was expected.

Yeah when I managed to talk a bit with Dead When I Found Her when they played they were like "Yeah I really liked Necro Facility but they showed me some stuff from their upcoming album, and it's total Fallout Boy eyeliner goth bullshit and it's disappointing because they're better than that."

What a shame.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Jose Mengelez posted:

Which track sounds like fallout boy? I fancy a good belly-laugh.

I think he was referring more to the image than the actual sound. I haven't heard any of the songs. Pretty sure he just meant their music got really poppy and bad.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
Yeah the past few years I grew pretty bored with most modern industrial music. Like, it sounds like all the kids that listened to it in the 90's grew up and are writing music, and are just trying to make it sound like a specific handful of bands, or just write a club hit. It's like the music version of fan fiction, almost.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

I really think Ashbury Heights' music holds up to scrutiny. And while I don't like it as much, I appreciate that he went in a complete gently caress off direction for the second album, which suitably resulted in half his fanbase turning to hysterics online because of how "awful" it was.

Now a band that I think is the definition of what you were saying is Helalyn Flowers http://www.helalynflowers.com/

Helalyn Flowers is just straight-up embarrassing.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Godmachine posted:

This is why I like Angelspit; they haven't stuck to the typical genre-cliches. To me, they have a sound that is comparatively unique when contrasted with all the garbage that is vocoders over a 4/4. I know they are a love or hate band, but at least they're doing something different.

Yeah their sound doesn't really do it for me but I can appreciate what they do, and they put on a great live show.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I always find it interesting how wildly tastes diverge even within such a narrow category, such as "people who like FLA." I kinda like everything up to and including FLAvour of the Weak, and then thought it was all poopcrap after that. Although I keep buying each new album and will usually find at least one jam that I dig.

I just pretend every album is from a different band. That said I loved Epitaph too.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
Hollow definitely sounds the most 'classic' in the minimalist analog sense. Pissage is my favorite on the album though. His voice in that song is great.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

spider_ross.avi posted:

Best example of worst mastering:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRHn-iNfRAE

Left!!! FUCKINNNN A!!!!

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

handbandit posted:

Check out https://www.pdxindgoth.com if you haven't yet (you probably have). They keep an up to date schedule of events but are otherwise dead. Either I'm out of touch, or it's a tiny scene compared to the early 00's. Then again all the really oldschool people say that was tiny compared to the late '90s.

Also, talk to Derek at Corrosion Records. He is (or was) the main concert promoter in town and usually can let you know when the good shows are coming.

hey thanks man. I may or may not have met Derek that night actually, I remember his name at least coming up. I was pretty drunk by the time I started just talking to people after the first band finished so I can't remember most of it. Apparently I met Unter Null and didn't know it? I dunno.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

hatelull posted:

Is it still a cover if guy in the cover band helped write the song they're covering?

I don't know, ask Raymond Watts for covering Disobedience on the KMFDM tribute album (which, unsurprisingly, was the only good song).

That Hymns of the Worlock album was so godawful.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

hatelull posted:

Agreed. Arguably, the remix album the Pups themselves put out wasn't much better. However, perhaps the Rhys Fulber and Gunter remixes were better appreciated here than in the extremely snotty puppy forum. I sort of enjoyed the Autchere remix, simply for being what it is.

The Autechre remix wasn't bad yeah, and actually that Gunter remix was pretty good. It was actually one of the first Skinny Puppy songs I'd heard. Yes I'm probably much younger than most the posters in this thread.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

boo_radley posted:

That's got Vanished on it, right? I think that's when the melding of all of the FLA side projects really coalesced into something polished and nuanced (mature, maybe?). I'll have to dig the disc back up.

That was the first album Rhys Fulber returned on, and iirc the guitarist for Fear Factory did the guitars in Civilization. The album itself was a Big Deal due to Fulber's return

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

sethsez posted:

Honestly, is there anyone who doesn't think TNI is the best FLA?

Maybe it's because i wasn't a teen/early 20's in the 90's but i can't get into it that much. I mean it's pretty good but it's not something I'd listen to regularly and jam out to, there's so much better industrial stuff imo.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
That's funny since a lot of people tried to criticize Civilization as 'Delerium Line Assembly.'

I really liked that album though. It has a couple weak points but when it hits it hits hard.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

sethsez posted:

It's not an inaccurate description, I just don't think it's a bad thing at all. Leeb strikes me as someone more comfortable with soundscapes than pure aggression and it comes through in most of his stuff.

Well yeah I think Civilization is a great track, which is a good example of the Leeb soundscapes combined with the Fulber aggressiveness he picked up during his absence.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Apparently Stefan Ackermann of Das Ich is seriously sick and hospitalized, and they don't know if he'll be able to recover fully. That guy's never had it easy :smith:

I guess The Lord decided to finally punish him for worshiping Satan so much.

Can't beat God...

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

handbandit posted:

Zaiquiri, did you ever find anything good in Portland?

Dead When I Found Her is pretty good, as well as 16Volt of course. Dead Animal Assembly plant wasn't bad, reminded me somewhat of Angelspit. There is this one 40-year-old goth dude in Portland who does really, really terrible industrial music and in his videos he drinks blood with his girlfriend, if you want a laugh.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

handbandit posted:

I NEED a link to that.

Apparently The Lovecraft is where it all happens these days. All the other ind/goth nights in town are dead from what I've seen lately.

The Fez and Plan B have ok goth nights I guess. I'm not really into dressing goth and poo poo so I'm not super experienced in the scene.

And I can't remember the guy's name at the moment. It was something super ridiculous like Azreal Stein or whatever. I'll ask my friend who remixed some of his awful songs (and made them tolerable) what he is called. He covered Einstürzende Neubauten and it's so, so bad.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Twiin posted:

Portland crew: Corrosion Records is closing. From the FB page:

That sucks hard. I loved that little place. You should go go go and buy everything.

Agghhhh I'm hella broke. Like I have to pay all my bills and poo poo to pay and my next payday is next Thurdsay. awesome timing

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Furret Basket posted:

Why can't people just make music anymore?

The 21st century is a cultural dadaist nightmare buried in layer upon layer of irony. Welcome To The Postmodern World.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Right now I'm using Sony MDR-V700s, and I don't bother with promos less than 192kbps.

I know I said "serious question," but I don't really think it's a hardware issue--these tracks and albums sound just as bad over the radio station soundboard. Over the past 10 years I've heard a bunch of groups who had some beats but ruined their tracks by distorting and mixing them into an indistinct blur--I guess they decided that if distorted vocals were good enough for Sascha and Johan van Roy, they could use it to hide the fact that they had nothing to show when it came to vocals or lyrics. It's only recently that it seems like an epidemic.

The thing is, I also notice this in veteran acts like 16volt and Tim Skold. Maybe it's just a byproduct of the decision to focus on industrial rock rather than their more dancefloor-friendly work.

Frankly it's also probably a consequence of these guys starting to get older and not putting as much effort into their vocals.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

handbandit posted:

I NEED a link to that.

Apparently The Lovecraft is where it all happens these days. All the other ind/goth nights in town are dead from what I've seen lately.

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrlJhrw1pVE

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
holy moly that track rules

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

If you haven't seen it, the short film the images in that video are taken from, Skhizein, is loving amazing.

Yeah after I saw that video I went to check out what the footage was from and finally found it online with english subs, and really, really liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

It's kind of unique, actually, I mean, how many bands do you know that new listeners really should read about before listening?

also, how many bands do you know that have their own made-up country with an embassy in Beijing?