Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Furret Basket posted:

:siren:mind.in.a.box:siren:

I was kinda on the fence until they were announced.
I'd just like to clarify, that thing I said about sucking six thousand dicks in the last thread was pure hyperbole and in no way a toxx.

glitchkrieg posted:

The only good things about Infest were the cheap bar prices and realising that "provincial" goths were at least 2 years behind the fashions compared to London.

*sips G&T, farts derisively in general northerly direction*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1m5vxI3bpU

gently caress, you weren't kidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMDdVKkznL8

bonus angry youtube nerd!

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

After listening to the free four-track EP a couple of times now, I have to say there's a weird sense of... emptiness in all of these songs. They're all nicely done, and they've really nailed the NIN sound perfectly, but I can't help but feel the soul Trent pours into his works is missing. It's like these guys have decided to see if they can make songs like Reznor and succeeded, but haven't even tried to take it anywhere further than that. I really can't see myself listening to any more of this, it just plain makes me uncomfortable.

In comparison to Cell, Dead When I Found Her sounds an awful lot like 80s industrial, but something in the music just makes it sound like there's some heart put into it. DWIFH just sounds more honest, for the lack of a better word. It also helps that it's not simply a direct copy of the stuff he obviously draws most of his inspiration from, but it's like it's a direct, logical evolution of that era. I also think the dude has a pretty distinct sound of his own in there, too. Some parts even sound like they could be from a Metroid game or something, which is awesome.

It's like one of the malformed trent clones survived the lab fire and found its way into the world proper, It's trent for all intents and purposes but it lacks a soul (and nipples and a navel obv)

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Zaiquiri posted:

Just got back from 16Volt's album release party and live show here in Portland. I've never heard 16Volt in my life and they were pretty good, great show. Also loved Dead When I Found Her. My buddy and I bought them drinks, they were some pretty cool dudes. Apparently there's a huge industrial scene in Portland I've never gotten in touch with, and this concert really helped me make those connections.

The dream of the 90's is alive in portland.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

W424 posted:

I just got the new Necro Facility signed preorder disc. The I found the preview on soundcloud, loving gently caress, I´m not even going to rip this. They went pop as was expected.

POP? in my Swedish electro outfit?!?!

It's more likely than you think.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Zaiquiri posted:

Yeah when I managed to talk a bit with Dead When I Found Her when they played they were like "Yeah I really liked Necro Facility but they showed me some stuff from their upcoming album, and it's total Fallout Boy eyeliner goth bullshit and it's disappointing because they're better than that."

What a shame.

Which track sounds like fallout boy? I fancy a good belly-laugh.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Seems More 'synth poppy' than 'pop punky/emo' overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C4RP9TJ408

front line assemblyish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XAYm2ZH0V8

depeche mode/new orderish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs8Gn3BY7T0

hahah OK, that chorus is a little bit emo no matter how much distortion you stick over the vocals, 1 point to Arthur I guess.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Anyone ever get that feeling of frustration with music where suddenly you find yourself thinking that everything is completely inane, redundant loving poo poo apart from that band? I've noticed myself thinking that a whole lot of more often than before since I was introduced to Project Pitchfork. gently caress you, Peter Spilles, for ruining music for me.

Now playing Project Pitchfork - If I Could

I get that feeling of frustration where I suddenly find myself thinking that everything is completely inane, redundant loving poo poo including life, the universe and everything.

Then I usually listen to some vnv nation, smoke a fat joint and solemnly pump my fist into the air until I man the gently caress up.

420 stomp to phat 4/4 beats and arpeggiated synths 'erry day.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
It's 'cause whenever something truly unique comes along it gets labelled as a subgenre and then done to death. Eventually these imitators try to fly the nest and do something original but by then the fanbase (who've come to expect VNV Nation clone #948 or Combichrist Clone #186) usually start throwing a massive shitfit*.

It's the consumers who ultimately dictate which artists sink or swim and it sometimes seems to me (somewhat ironically) that a lot of people in this scene tend to be quite reactionary and prone to a fair bit of herd mentality.

I still like the fact that every now and again I'll hear something great that I've never heard before or a new act will come along push all my buttons just right. After all, you need to eat a lot of aggrotech roughage to find diamonds in your poo poo... or something like that anyway.

Zaiquiri posted:

Yeah the past few years I grew pretty bored with most modern industrial music. Like, it sounds like all the kids that listened to it in the 90's grew up and are writing music, and are just trying to make it sound like a specific handful of bands, or just write a club hit. It's like the music version of fan fiction, almost.

Pretty much. Aiming to write a club hit is probably the lesser of the two evils though (by a hair's breadth). It at least requires some kind of critical consensus to happen (or a fucktonne of nigh-on inescapable promotional material *cough* ashbury heights *cough*.)

*I.E me, whenever apop gets mentioned. :argh:

:edit: wow, a lot of ropey metaphors in this post.

Jose Mengelez fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 13, 2011

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Don't get me wrong, I feel ashbury heights are definately able to stand on their own merits but the PR blitz was pretty full on. I realize the blame lies with the label and not the artists though.

I'd actually not heard of hellalyn flowers before, but I have been living under a rock on mars this year. Still, Kinda wish I hadn't after hearing them.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Quirk posted:

I need to know one last thing from you guys: how viscerally angry or disgusted does this image style make you? This is important. The emo is not me.

That's loving vile. I love it.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Halloween Jack posted:

it's like the artists decided that there needs to be an inch of wool between their music and the listener.

wow, that's like 6 inches of wool in total.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Infest in less than a month, hooray!

So, are V2A, Code 64, Shiv-R or Analog Angel any good?

.forgettable,
.swedish electropop (love it or hate it),
.*fartz*
.pre-schaffelbeat depeche mode clone.

Nothing worth outright skipping though. Even if they were all complete poo poo I'd still be overjoyed to be seeing mind.in.a.box finally.

Looking forward to the karaoke night (ironically of course :smug:)

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Zaiquiri posted:

Also the singer for 16Volt jumped into the mosh pit mid-show and knocked people out, then let the audience sing into his mic.

Reminds me of the time that dude from god module tried to crowd surf.

Eighteen people died that night.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

I can't be bothered with much of the tiresome doof-doof-doof-distorted sp00ky vocals

"why are you listening to german goblin techno?" - a friend

I guess he was more of a norwegian ork metal guy.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

I found it.

The worst supposedly electro-industrial song.

It's like a terrible attempt to be LMFAO.

Corporate Soldiers - Party Til We Die

I got this piece of crap on a compilation sandwiched between tracks by Solitary Experiments and Patenbrigade: Wolff :smith:

Sounds like someone trying to have a little fun with some random stock acappella sample. (I hope?)

I'm in a benefit of the doubt kinda mood tonight.

quote:

The only redeeming feature is that it doesn't have a cheesy video of goggle-wearing guys and scantily clad goth girls dancing.

Try watching that eisenfunk - pong vid and not dying of third party embarrassment.
protip : don't.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Stop bashing the masks guys, people with no chins deserve to look cool too.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Furret Basket posted:

Combichrist fans are worse than Juggalos.

Hang on, lets not go crazy here.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

LabyaMynora posted:

Highly doubt it. Both Yaz and Kari have their own musical projects now. I hadn't heard anything of Kari's, but Yaz's is called "Javelin" only spelled all wrong.

Here's a link to preview http://youtu.be/pkkeyK_CKkY

It sounds kind of like 80's buttrock to me...

Cheers, I was wondering who that wannabe track was by, the vox sounded familiar.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

KFMDM and Geistform at Infest this summer, you say? Shitjustgotreal.gif

I was thinking of giving it a rest this year but now not so much.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I remember I was at an industrial festival at a small club once, and a bunch of people were mingling on the sidewalk out front. Not enough to crowd the sidewalk and there was plenty of room. I just kept watching people coming down the street cross the other side, pass the club while sort of sideway glancing, and then cross back over after they were past. I found it pretty amusing because we were probably the dorkiest gathering of people around outside of a comic book convention or something.

From a distance a sidewalk full of goths/punks/rivetheads can easily be mistaken for a group of 2D scrolling beat 'em up antagonists.. they probably didn't feel like punching, kicking and eating turkeys out of trashcans.

...or splatterpunks from robocop 3. No-one wants to be reminded of robocop 3.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

I'm going to pretend you photoshopped that ridiculous picture to prove a point. Because really

I love love a lot of electro-industrial, but the drive to be edgy is just so embarassing sometimes.

NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

VNV Nation is playing in Helsinki today. I'd love to go as they apparently kick rear end live but

a) The tickets are 30 €
b) I really don't know anything about the band apart from the barest of essentials
c) None of my friends are interested (see a and b)

Ugh should I go :argh:

Absoloutely, those dudes work a crowd like no other and need to be seen live at least once.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Last I heard 卐 LOL HITLER 卐 Is still kinda edgy in Germany.

I always thought the misogyny in combichrist was some kind of BDSM reference, that's what happens when you only half digest lyrics though I guess.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Social equality is all well and good but I think we're glossing over a much bigger issue within the scene. When is somebody finally going to make a stand against those stupid little-rear end tophats?

Pope Guilty posted:

Meanwhile, the guy from Nachtmahr still thinks swastikas look cool, to borrow a phrase, so gently caress him.

first time I saw him I thought "wow, skrillex got fat."

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Twiin posted:

Thomas / Nachtmahr hasn't even so much as looked in my direction since. He played right after I did, and honestly when he came out with two nachtmahr fascist cheerleader girls with fake blood on them you could have heard a pin drop. It wasn't a good show for him.

That's like doing a video saying kraftwerk looked like autistic sex offenders and then covenant sheepishly walk onstage.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
"Brodustrial" is apt as gently caress.

cheapandugly posted:

Don't let any of the negative responses you see and hear about this get you down.

I don't think there's been one yet? Might as well get the ball rolling...

The only negative thing I could think of is it's a little patronizing in tone. The "somali cunts" part reminded me of those "you wouldn't steal a handbag" anti piracy PSAs. It's also funny that you picked throbbing gristle as a counterpoint in a rant about facistic imagery.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Twiin posted:

Also, I didn't complain about fascist imagery. I complained about racist and sexist imagery.

Fair enough, I tend to conflate the two.

quote:

Also also, the only person who has come up to me in person to say they didn't agree with what I did was talking about how the photos of WWII gas chambers seem 'suspicious' within four minutes flat.

The best you can hope for is that he was motivated by a combination of just world fallacy and ignorance as opposed to being a literal nazi but jesus christ that's loving depressing either way.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Sometimes you have to choke a bitch.

...because she's into erotic asphyxiation and can only achieve orgasm when deprived of oxygen.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Twiin posted:

1: I never criticised Nachtmahr's fascist-military image. I criticised their poor gender analysis/presentation, and the industrial community spontaneously and repeatedly added their fascist-military look to the list of complaints.

What follows this are clips of a combichrist video interspersed with footage of Nachtmahr totally hitlering the gently caress out. I think you've actually been given the benefit of the doubt with how the scene chose to interpret it.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
That agonoize video is adorable and goofy. :colbert:

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Vorlonesque posted:

I haven't really cared much for anything from Combichrist after The Joy of Gunz, and even that isn't really up to par with Ivardensphere or Memmaker IMHO. I didn't pay much attention to Combichrist outside of that one album.

As for the whole discussion of what is or isn't industrial music...that never goes well...nobody ever agrees on that poo poo and I know of people who will say that anything that isn't Throbbing Gristle 1970's style stuff isn't industrial. I've reached a point where I don't even care what people categorize as industrial or electro or EBM or aggrotech or what-the-gently caress-ever.

Just different shades of schwarze.

I'm just thankful nobody ever coined the phrase 'Nu-Industrial' (nobody loving do this plz)

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
I just listened to that THYX album like three times in a row. It's like this thread and the electro/synthpop thread had a baby. A healthy baby born without complications; who grows up to be a millionaire philanthropist and space adventurer.
for me its the definitive modern synthpop album. There's more than enough audible MIAB DNA to please any fan with even a passing curiosity about Stefan's side project.

9/10

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Pope Guilty posted:

Pretty Eight Machine.

I can't tell if I hate or love this.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

TOOT BOOT posted:

Can you blame them, honestly? Some of these people were in grade school when industrial was still relevant musically.

When was that exactly? I didn't get the memo.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

quote:

Secondly, as many people have commented on before, when industrial reaches out to other genres, the exchange is generally one-way. Play The Presets at an industrial event and you’ll probably get a good reaction. Play Suicide Commando at an electro night and you’ll just get people wondering what the hell is wrong with you.

Interestingly, there are two annual industrial festivals fairly local to me and exactly zero electro fests (even clubnights are pretty sparse). I have to make a 4 hour train journey for anything like that.

'Musical relevance' is seemingly geographic.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
I always figured VNV supplemented their income by being gas engineers, I'm pretty sure they fixed my boiler one time. They have the overalls and everything.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Yeah I skipped infest this year, oops. Headliner pullout and sparse lineup pretty much being the deciding factors.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
I'm a couple of months late but the new and one album's pretty baller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Finally, a coaster for my piss jug.