Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!
For the past 5 months I've been working on an industrial EP. A lot of rear end was busted and a lot of booze was consumed in its creation. I think a lot of you may dig it since it seems you guys have a taste for the glory days (80s and early 90s).

http://iiomusic.bandcamp.com/

Feedback is completely welcome both positive and negative. Also I'm trying to figure out if this is good enough to approach labels with. Or if I need to continue to work on the sound and polish before really pushing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I'm not good at detailed musical criticism, but I really like this. It definitely has a strong old-school vibe, especially the vocals. Parasite is my favourite track of the six and has a kinda interesting sound that works for me.

Parasite was my favorite of this batch. I'm glad you liked it.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

The rock drum samples definitely give it an older industrial rock sound, too. I'm enjoying it. I'd like a bit more textural variety between songs, though, as it gets a bit samey. (Although there's something to be said for having a cohesive sound. It's easy to get carried away with the freedom afforded by electronic music.)

As for approaching labels... do you really need one? https://itunesconnect.apple.com/WebObjects/iTunesConnect.woa/wa/apply

Thanks for the kind words and critique. I did hit a patch at one point where I thought I was getting a bit samey so I definitely understand your view.

And yeah I know it's obvious but I love Skinny Puppy and X Marks the Pedwalk.

As for a label it's more about hitting a wider audience. I'm not really interested in making money but having as many people who may like this style of music hear my stuff.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Holy poo poo, I feel like that guy embodies everything wrong with the scene. No politics in music? The genre was founded on social and political commentary. The early uses of military imagery was a negative statement about current political climates. I've been out of the loop for a bit with modern industrial but I'm seriously seeing the mindset of hair metal bullshit and decadence seeping into the scene.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

edit: the video is tame by current standards, and frankly doesn't bother me personally (but features plenty of done-to-death-cliche-hot-girls-in-video poo poo: holy crap girls kissing!!!!). But the blonde dancer is stunning.

But the music is just the most insipid poo poo imaginable. It's like they took every single horrible pop music cliche ... auto-tune, featuring guy with a bit of rap, using internet slang/spelling, etc. and inserted it into an electro song.

I think I'm just getting old cause I totally missed the boat on this. When did music like this get considered industrial?

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Vorlonesque posted:

As for the whole discussion of what is or isn't industrial music...that never goes well...nobody ever agrees on that poo poo and I know of people who will say that anything that isn't Throbbing Gristle 1970's style stuff isn't industrial. I've reached a point where I don't even care what people categorize as industrial or electro or EBM or aggrotech or what-the-gently caress-ever.

Completely agree but if Faderhead is considered part of the industrial scene we should invite LMFAO to join the club as well.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

The Cleaner posted:

Dead When I Found Her
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBbXNSRCvuM&feature=related
From recent debut album "Harms Way". Probably the best of the 80's industrial clones. He gives it tons of heart, and although clearly using modern production tricks, sonically he does sound better than most actual 80's industrial music.

I have to chime in and say this project is awesome. Found it by accident a year or so ago and this album has had heavy rotation in my car.

Also check out his soundcloud he's got some great covers.

http://soundcloud.com/deadwhenifoundher

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I think a lot of what the video portrayed needed to be said and I agree that as an audience we should be a little more discerning with what we support.

The depictions of women being used is just a repeat of the late 80s hair metal mixed in with the fetish scene that's walked in tandem with industrial over the years. Get some women in leather and latex have them gyrate around and then collar them to the artist. Cut and Print.

As for the fascist imagery, it was a device used by early artists to convey a point of freedoms being taken away. It was a slap to the face for any media coverage to try and get a message out by actually shocking the audience. Now it's merely fashion and trying to fit an image, it's literally becoming the look/uniform of a counter culture scene.

There seems to be a problem with more and more artists out there trying to produce the next big club track and instead of conveying a thoughtful message or even a slap to the face to try and wake some people up. From my perspective the genre has done a 180 and instead of throwing institutional standard out the window it's completely homogenized itself to try and cash in on a genre that historically doesn't make money.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

There was a whole bunch of bands I liked in the early 00s who all abruptly stopped releasing anything, and I eventually worked out from interviews I saw later that it was because they'd been students/unemployed while they made music and then ended up getting jobs and not having time any more.

That's the loving truth, working full time will make writing/recording an album take 6 months to a year to finish. Unemployed I guesstimate it taking about a month.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

MUFFlNS posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for bands similar to Ministry in the 90s? I'm referring to the albums Psalm 69, Filth Pig and The Dark Side Of The Spoon to be precise. To give a better idea of the style I love, here's a few songs

I particularly love Al's garbled/underwater sounding vocals, which I've never come across with any other band before, and I'm not sure how easy it is to discover anything similar to Al Jourgensen on a ten year heroin binge but figured it's worth asking at least?

Check out Pigface, Pig, Leaether Strip, Pop Will Eat Itself, and Revolting Cocks. Uncle Al has been involved in a poo poo ton of projects and there's a crew of musicians that played/toured together often that have a similar sound but definitely not identical.

PIG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjG4brhkllw

RevCo (I actually loved the new lineup)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4HCkRgCU9g

Pop Will Eat Itself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76wSk1j02_4

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Zaiquiri posted:

Has anyone seen the Thrill Kill Kult on their tour or does no one care about them anymore? I missed them when there were here and am wondering if I missed out on anything.

I've seen them a few times over the years and it's always a good time. It's cheesy and tongue in cheek fun and they're always solid live. It's just a little odd when you see them after their set and they're barely awake from all the drug use.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

For the past few years I've been really into a band called Health. It reminds me of the early industrial scene like if TG/Psychic TV made an album with Sonic Youth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwJMIqpByoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps0Q0fzbjrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCptwLAJ6HA

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

mcstanb posted:

Health are really awesome, especially the work they did for the Max Payne 3 soundtrack. Their facebook updates on the other hand lead me to think they're 14.

Chatted with them after a show and that's their humor. John (asian dude) does a lot of their off color posts.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

New Dead When I Found Her album is out and it's really good. A lot more chill than his first album. I definitely recommend giving it a listen.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

W424 posted:

Does the new Dead When I Found Her sound mostly like New Age of Reason that was on the review on idieyoudie? That track pretty much killed any interest I had.

Nah, New Age of Reason was definitely the most pop oriented track on the album in my opinion. The album actually reminds me a lot of Too Dark Park in tone.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Just finished my first full length album for my solo project IIO. Older industrial styled music and yes I listen to a lot of Skinny Puppy and you'll hear a lot of their influence in the album.

I was thinking of trying to get it on GBS but I wanted to run it by you guys first. I put it up for free on Soundcloud and Bandcamp if you guys are interested and want to take a listen.

Bandcamp
http://iiomusic.bandcamp.com/album/reflect

Soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/iio-industrial/sets/reflect/

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Awesome! I really liked your debut EP and I'm excited to hear more from you. Downloaded this in the morning but didn't have a chance to start listening until now - I'm just five songs in currently, but this is sounding fantastic. I can definitely hear the Skinny Puppy influences, but for some reason your music reminds me of more of early-ish Project Pitchfork (maybe it's the melodies and general synthiness?) and, especially in the vocals department, early Terminal Choice. Good stuff.

Thanks for the kind words. I've heard someone else describe my tone similar to Terminal Choice which is funny since I never listened to them before. Once again I greatly appreciate you taking time to listen to the album. Makes it all worth while.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

kangal posted:

It occurs to me I should leave this here:

http://soundcloud.com/daoctopusss

Loving this, thanks for sharing

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Made a cover track of Ke$ha's Die Young for the New Year. I swear that pig mask was the best drunk buy I've ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArzO2Butfqs

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

The original is unironically one of my fave tracks from last year, but your cover is awesome too. Your pig mask is kinda creepy.

Thanks I enjoyed making it.
I saw that mask for sale at a local drinking hole a few months ago and I had to buy it.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Welp, the snippets off the new Project Pitchfork album BLACK sound loving amazing :supaburn:

Seems like Spilles really needed the short pause from Pitchfork. Although it had a couple of really strong tracks, I thought Quantum Mechanics was a disappointingly mediocre and worryingly formulaic album after Continuum Ride which is probably my favorite Pitchfork album, but this sounding completely different, fresh, exciting and absolutely incredible again and might well end up being one of Spilles' best albums. I personally can not loving wait to get my hands on this :flashfap:

Not bad there are definitely a few tracks on there I really like. I'll be picking this one up.

On a side note. I finished a new music video for a track on my past industrial album. Feedback is always welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzlS70pSirU

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I just finished a Revolting Cocks cover for the musician's lounge rockstar competition. I thought you guys might enjoy it.

https://soundcloud.com/iio-industrial/iioioioii-gently caress-money-revolting

Feedback is always welcome as well.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

On the subject of people wanting Skinny Puppy to make a new "classic" Skinny Puppy album and not getting one:

Well, quit waiting for one. Skinny Puppy's "classic" albums were released decades ago. Do you really expect they are the same people or musicians as they were back then? Those albums are already finished and out. Why would they, as musicians and artists, want to do something they already did years ago? Bands often say that their new album is going back to their roots or something similar, and sometimes fans are disappointed because to them it doesn't sound like that at all. What the fans don't often realize is that for the musicians it might not be about the music sounding the same per se. It could very well be something like the general workflow they're going back to when working on new songs, or the mood they're in while in the studio, or just the general feeling they get from the new tracks (which might be completely different from what the fan will hear). Music is incredibly subjective, and for no one else is it more subjective than the musicians themselves who've (hopefully) put their very soul into it. That's the perspective fans will never really understand, unless they make music themselves and start seeing the decisions that go into making a track from a different point of view, I guess.

I think that the kind of fan who doesn't like the output of a long-running band like SP has two options: Either they can just be content with not liking the new output and listen to the "classics" they already have and want to hear, or try to understand the people behind the music, their motivations and reasons for making the kind of music they are making, and, through that, maybe find reasons to like the newer stuff or at the very least understand why the band sounds like it does and why it might never sound like the fan wants. I like the latter option myself. It's infinitely more rewarding.

Ogre himself said he's not the same angry person as he was. I love classic SP but I also love their new stuff outside of a track or two on each album. I'm sure everyone who has worked with music projects has questioned if they should continue doing the same thing to maintain consistency or to branch out and try something new. The way I see the new SP is they're now the older guys standing at the bar watching a show instead of being neck deep in the pit. They're enjoying the music but they're not as focused on the audience as they were before.

As for fans berating a musician on exploring their options, they run the risk of sounding like a NIN fanatic. (no offense intended as I enjoy NIN and Trent's projects)

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't think the issue is so much that they're not retreading the TDP sound or whatever (and Skinny Puppy's sound has changed a lot from album-to-album so there is no definitive classic sound), it's just that the post-reunion stuff just flat out isn't as good as the stuff they did before. I'd be perfectly content if they did an album that was an entirely new sound for them, but with songwriting as good as the old stuff. Thus far it hasn't happened.

I respectively disagree about the quality loss but to each their own. I'd say the quality has improved in production, song writing, and musicianship.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Brutal Resonance just posted a pretty bad rear end streaming mix tape on their site with indie industrial bands. They have some interesting tracks from bands I haven't heard before. *cough* Also my track Eraser is on there. *cough*
http://www.brutalresonance.com/viewblog.php?id=2205

It's pretty drat rewarding after busting rear end that some of my music is getting some press.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

This is a good playlist and your song is pretty catchy. I'm also loving the ruthless :iceburn: in Hipster Trash and Confession.

Entropist posted:

Yes, thanks for the link! Your stuff is good, but your artist name is too drat hard to remember, no wonder no one is listening to it :v:

Also, you should get some song previews up on last.fm somehow.

The name used to be IIO until I found out some techno producer is keeping the name on lockdown. As for Last.fm they have me on lock down until a certain number of people basically buy my music and aggregate it or some poo poo like that. Though it is on Spotify for streaming. Also if anyone wants the full album for free I have some download codes for it on Bandcamp.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Noricae posted:

I really like the album too, but honestly I still find Ogre's singing ridiculous and a bit distracting. I've gotten way better at tuning out vocals from most music however, so I'm pretending that he's a vuvuzela in the background.

That's going to be a fantastic show!

Wow, that's surprising. Vocally this album is the most dynamic in mixing and performance. Chiming in to say the new SP is album is awesome. Cevin's over-synthing has been kept in check so it doesn't go too far off the track like in Handover. They play little homages to the "old skinny puppy" sound but keep the compositions modern. I'd have to say this album is probably my favorite one that came out post 1996.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Diary of Dreams owns and Adrian Hates owns and it seems like his new side project .com/kill owns, too. It's quite a bit more straightforward, aggressive and heavy than Diary of Dreams, but in a very clever way so it doesn't sound like a generic EBM band or anything. I really recommend you guys check it out.

Goddamn Adrian has to be one of the most depressed people ever. This poo poo is just so loving dark :stare:

e: I mean Diary of Dreams is probably one of the bleakest bands ever, but this is just some straight-up worryingly angry poo poo

Dammit, another one went the way of dubstep wobbles. There are some good tracks in there though.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

The Cleaner posted:

As a couple goons might remember, spider_ross.avi and myself make up the band Volt 9000, and our 4th album "CONOPOLY" just came out yesterday on Artoffact Records. It's our first ever label release so I'm gonna spam it here because..

A. Spider_ross and myself met on SA Forums
B. Musicians Lounge goons helped us out alot in the beginning
C. Our last album got mostly positive responses here

Heavily influenced by Ohgr and Skinny Puppy, so while it's a little awkward having it released so closely to Weapon, I think it stands far enough apart in our sound design and direction. You can check out the single/video "Toybox" below if yer curious... otherwise the album is out now on iTunes and Artoffact! Thanks guys.

http://youtu.be/mZ5SXAXdBcs

Fantastic album. Absolutely love the vocal dynamics. Granted your influences are very similar to my own so this totally my cup of tea. Please keep it up I'll be ordering a copy this week.

edit: Bought it

Konstruct fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 18, 2013

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Seriously, why is none of these "when the album comes out, get a CD/download"?

It's a kickstarter to sell merch. Not sure if I agree with using kickstarter to manufacture band merch.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

The Cleaner posted:

Thanks man! Glad ya like it.

Also congrats on getting with Artoffact. I'm super jealous, I've been trying to get their attention. In any case, I'm looking forward to hearing more from you guys.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

The Cleaner posted:

$5 says the patch is named "Trifactor", "Trident", or simply "TranceLead_01".

I accept PayPal.

I got money on EuroLead02

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

sethsez posted:

Ogre's the nicest celebrity I've ever met, either as a fan or as someone I've worked with. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with that experience.

Completely agree with you there. I normally dread meeting musicians but when I went to just say hi and thank you he somehow managed to pull me to the side and talk music and politics for like 30 minutes. He's a super humble and positive guy.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Just finished my first music video since signing on with a label. Let me know what you guys think. I dropped the growly Ogre style vocals and just went with my natural voice. Huge move for me to step out of my comfort shell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXFjzr30Vfk

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Voice sounds great dude. Good job!

I appreciate it. It took a long time to overcome the self doubt I had about my voice.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Sloppy posted:

I like the vocals a lot, the video was a bit repetitive though.

I can definitely see how the video could be seen as repetitive. I'll try harder for my next one. Thanks for the kind words regarding the vocals.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Ms. Happiness posted:

I think your vocals are lovely. And you make eyeliner look awesome.

Thank you. Years of practice with goth/industrial clubs

Pope Guilty posted:

Jumping on the "this is great, way to go" bandwagon here.

:hfive: Thank you!

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

The Cleaner posted:

Ya man well done. I remember the album you posted on SA before.. ya the vocals def got an upgrade.

I appreciate the kind words. Oh and gently caress you for making Conopoly. That album was so good I couldn't stop listening to it for months.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Pretty sure that'd be called a "black hole", though

With bits of white Front 242, Skinny Puppy, and Ministry logos showing through.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

My new album that's coming out in December has almost all the tracks up for streaming. Plus a few remixes from Dreams Divide, Art Deko, Garten Der Asche, and Machinista. I'd love to get your input on it both positive and negative.

http://music.juggernautservices.com/album/sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

WOOT! My full length album just got its first review from Brutal Resonance.

quote:

"It's been near a month since I reviewed IIOIOIOII's Rising Sky/ Stardust, but in the month since that EP, I have been sitting here and craving Sun, which is the album that the EP teased so hard. And, finally, I have gathered it straight into my hands, devoured it three times over by now, and have found myself loving every bit of this album.

It really does sing out like a love letter to the 80s; I said this during my review of Rising Sky/ Stardust, but it's just so true. I absolutely adore the sounds and synth lines perpetrating every song on this album. But, enough of this, and let's get into the music. By far and wide one of the artist's best songs, Rising Sky starts off the album and travels us onward into a cacophony of pleasure... "

http://www.brutalresonance.com/review/iioioioii-sun/