Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Thread lacks enough rhythmic noise.

Want music that scares people who like Justin Bieber? Look to the Hands Productions and Ant-Zen labels, and the vast array of smaller labels releasing music with chunky beats and loud noises. It's big in Germany. Other places too, but drat the Germans seem to love it.

Also it involves nerdy guys with laptops or racks of electronics, peeking nervously at the audience, or sometimes sweaty bald men with their hands in the air.

This Morn Omina - tribal trancey electro-industrial. Your raver friends may well like this. You'll have heard One Eyed Man in a club. Not very scary. Really very good.

Winterkalte - this is the guy behind the Hands label. Absolutely brutal - they have a CD called "Drum n Noise". The name is pretty much all you need to know. When you lure a goth girl back home with you by claiming you're "really into Mesh", don't put a Winterkalte CD on instead.

SKET - More guys with heaps of gear making great music. They're influenced by a lot of the older bands in this subgenre, but they don't sound quite like anyone else.

Sonar - made up of Dirk Ivens (Dive) and Eric Van Wonterghem (Monolith), who also double as Absolute Body Control. They make awesome noisy music out of very repetitive loops. See them. Do it.

Synapscape - they have an actual singer! Well, a shouter, at least. They're one of the most interesting bands in this subgenre to me, musically - they vary from slightly creepy tracks like the one I just linked, to more clubby ones and others that are pretty groovy.

Some other bands you should try: 100blumen, Mono No Aware, Ah Cama Sotz, Iszoloscope, Vromb, ESA, Empusae, Detritus, Greyhound (my favourite current noisy band, to be honest), Heimstat Yipotash and Pow[d]erpussy among many more.

Various of the "noisy" labels have branched out in the last few years with the dark cabaret style music of Genevieve Pasquier, for example, or things on various labels that are basically dubstep, ambient and pretty much any other electronic genre you can think of. There are several festivals just for this kind of thing in Europe, most notably Maschinenfest.

Also, not noisy, but everyone should listen to Patenbrigade: Wolff and Welle:Erdball. Both have colons in their names, both are very silly, very German and really fun live. P:W have a kitsch DDR Ostalgie and love of industry thing going on; W:E also have a retro analogue synth/chiptune thing going on at times and particularly love the C64, VW beetle and Super-8 camera.

And, if you are in the UK and like electro industrial, then come to Infest over the August bank holiday weekend. It's literally the most fun you can have in Bradford! Eat curry, drink alcohol, dance the night away with a venue full of like-minded sweaty music fans. (I skipped about half the bands last year and spent each night dancing to bad 80s music to be honest, oops!)

Twiin posted:

I won't play Combichrist anymore. Even if he wasn't totally played out, I'm so loving sick of his racist/sexist shock jock bullshit.

There's some of the attitudes and "OOH I'M EDGY" bullshit around that whole subgenre (ie the bands that want to be CC) that piss me off. Uberbyte sampling Goebbels, for example, and professing not to know why people might find it offensive.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I personally witnessed this guy playing for a crowd ten thousand eager people strong

It's weird seeing [insert name of seminal electro-industrial band] in the UK where sometimes you have a small venue and half the people there are fans of the local support, then seeing pictures of them at massive venues in mainland Europe.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

But seriously, if you get the chance, plan a trip to Germany one summer and visit Amphi (for a more contained festival) or Wave Gothik Treffen (for a trillion billion bands scattered across the city for several days). It's pretty insane to see literally tens of thousands of goths and other relevant people dancing to your favorite bands.

I'm kind of bored of a quite a lot of the recent bands that aren't rhythmic noise to be honest, so tend to stick to the noisy festivals, standalone gigs for bands I like and Infest (because it's in the UK and I like the clubby aspects of it and a lot of people I know go so it's great seeing them all). A bunch of my mates do Amphi, but the lineup only really has four bands I'd want to see this year, and less last :smith: I am not with it any more as far as my musical tastes go.

I really like some recent electropop bands, but a lot of them seem to turn up in a blaze of scene publicity and moody photoshoots then vanish after an album (probably when they leave university). Need to get back into buying random compilations to find some good obscure bands, but goddamn I've had some bad experiences with lovely compilations with one good track and the rest painfully bad filler or weird remixes of tracks that might otherwise be good.

The smaller gigs do have a certain appeal, I guess, because they're more intimate, you can be right up front without being stuck in a platoon of photographers and then get sweaty hugs from the band all night long at the aftershow. I have fond memories of Implant explaining that they had tried fish and chips because it was a scottish tradition so they felt they had to, but they really didn't like it.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 2, 2011

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

The Cleaner posted:

Agreed. Dead When I Found Her sounds more 80's industrial than actual 80's industrial.

It would be good to see them live I imagine, because a band that sounded old-school but weren't paunchy and/or balding would be great

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

glitchkrieg posted:

If you like noise, gently caress Infest and go straight to Maschinenfest. Waaay, waaay more fun, better acts, nicer people.

New thread, time for my Maschinenfest anecdote I guess: we saw Catholic Boys in Heavy Leather at Maschinenfest in 2007, and one of my mates bought their box set. He only had a rucksack - no hold luggage, so when we got to the airport on the way home he put it through the x-ray machine. They stopped him, and made him open up the bag... then they pointed to the CBiHL box.

He opened it up for them, and the first thing they took out of it was a photo of the Pope. Next thing was a cock ring with a crucifix on it, then a vibrator... and then a pair of handcuffs. They confiscated the handcuffs, but then let him take away the rest. I like to think the airport security staff still wonder what the hell was going on with that guy.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Also Volk is still the best record in the history of music for me. This whole drat album is just so loving astonishing in every single way, that even the weakest links make the album stronger as a whole.

This man is pretty much telling the truth. If you are reading this and don't have Volk, wtf?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

moss piglet posted:

It's true, everyone should hear Sonar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKaKo-FIoNY

Also Muslimgauze.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

teethgrinder posted:

I'm pleased that the version of I Live Your Dream included

I really like I Live Your Dream, except the way he rhymes 'realm' with 'dream' jars so much and spoils it for me.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

Complaining about Project Pitchfork lyrics :psyduck:

Because they're a band where you can actually hear the lyrics because they're not mumbled/vocoded/screamed/distorted/layered under screeching electronics :v:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
My favourite Rammstein video is Haifisch, because the way it references the deaths in the other ones is really well done.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Front 242 playing in Glasgow this December supposedly, you say?

gently caress yes, Christmas come early!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

The Cleaner posted:

99% of new industrial artists with their 4|4 mechanized dance beat, growly faux-angst vocals, predictable NIN-ish arpeggiator and trite chorus repeating "power! corruption!" in military jackets.. loving STOP IT IT GOT OLD BACK IN 1992.

Bought a couple of recent compilations and jesus, it's embarassing how indistinguishable some of the tracks by different bands are. The DOOF DOOF DOOF SAMPLE DOOF DOOF DOOF of bands like Noisuf-X, xRx and so on, the various Combichristalikes and the Suicide Commando/Hocico clones. I mean, I don't have any objection to that kind of thing in a club. It's fun to dance to for sure, but for listening at home it's just plain boring.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

Oh well, there's always everything on the Hands label to listen to!

Maschinenkrieger KR52 vs Disraptor are great, if you aren't into them already. They sound a bit like MS Gentur and are pretty loving brutal.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Gashed Senses & Crossfire, Caustic Grip and Tactical Neural Implant. That's all the FLA that I need.

Although to be honest, I could just listen to Provision over and over - I love that track.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

Going to Wendyhouse in Leeds tomorrow, never been before. How poo poo is it from a scale of Pop to Noise?

If no one answers, I would be interested in a poo poo/not poo poo trip report, since I'm heading down to visit a friend and go out there next month.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

but at one point played a Scooter track

you had me at jumpstyle

I'm actually going down to visit friends, and whilst there taking advantage of a city with a night that might actually have some tracks I haven't heard a million times at my local, to be honest :v:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Armor-Piercing posted:

The most serious approach: click here to witness the strength of street knowledge

Goddam, I didn't think anyone else remembered this.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Bill Leeb's lyrics are straight retarded.

disturbed emotion

greased with lotion

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Doctor Zero posted:

If you're listening to / can understand industrial music lyrics, you're doing it wrong.

This is usually the point in the discussion where someone quotes the lyrics for Shaven, by Funker Vogt. The first line is "Shaven cunts gently caress much more horny" and it doesn't really get better from there onwards.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Twiin posted:

If you look really closely in the last photo, you can see that I filled in my Kinetik artist pass as The KLF.

You rule

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

boo_radley posted:

The guy behind Klinik has a side project named Sonar that I'm really digging:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcV9dNfYu4I

Sonar are the loving best thing. If you get the chance to see them live, do so.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

e3: Everyone in this threadEveryone who claims they like music needs to listen to this right loving now. This is quite possible the best song I have ever heard in my whole drat life.

I agree.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

e: You can get the Dylan tribute album for free by emailing ljuDylanProject@state.gov. I asked them for a copy yesterday, but haven't got a reply yet. The piece of news is two months old now, hope they're still sending them out.

Got a reply:

quote:

Please note CD is not for sale but we can send you one copy free of charge if you tell us where to send it to. You're lucky to approach us among the first cause we don't know if we'll be able to do this for everybody.

So yeah, people should email them if they want this!

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 22, 2011

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
If any of you remotely like This Morn' Omina and don't have their most recent release, L'Unification Des Forces Opposantes, you should get it ASAP because it is loving great, basically. That is all

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Infest in less than a month, hooray!

So, are V2A, Code 64, Shiv-R or Analog Angel any good?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Twiin posted:

Oh god how I hate funker vogt. Both as musicians and as humans. It is my greatest parting gift to the City of Ottawa that they have swore to never play it because of me.

I heard stories that they are complete douchebag rock star twats backstage from various people.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I like my KMFDM the way I like my EBM - old school

(okay, I don't like most of UAIOE)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Tell them that you're a Muslimgauze fan, that'll probably stop them sending you stuff!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Speaking of complaining about modern industrial, it's Infest tomorrow!

I'll be the guy shouting "I looooove you!" at Dirk Ivens. Well, maybe.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
While I can't be bothered with much of the tiresome doof-doof-doof-distorted sp00ky vocals and/or sample of someone german aggrotech/terror EBM type stuff (all the Suicide Commando/Hocico/Combichrist wannabes and the various bands like X-Rx, Xotox and Noisuf-X who all sound pretty identikit) there's still a lot of good stuff coming out. Ant-Zen and Hands are still releasing some great things if you like things a little more noisy.

Most recent thing I bought is Insignificancy Rising, from Libido Formandi. It's really good, reminds me of stuff like Empusae maybe. If you like Dryft then it might well appeal.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

For the first time in about 6-7 years I'm not going to Infest. :( The lineup just wasn't good enough for how much it's going to cost. At least I managed Resistanz, which was totally boss.

I am going to Manchester Pride though! :nyan:

I really really like everythings Dirk Ivens does, so two of his bands kind of sold it for me, otherwise I'd have been conflicted.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Sonar seem to play relatively often at mainland Europe events, so you could always save up for a trip to the Continent for foreign beer and loud music

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Infest was great fun, though I managed to miss half the stuff I wanted to see due to being really really drunk.

Have some Dirk Ivens:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
The new stuff they played at Infest sounded pretty good, but I was drunk so I could be wrong on that front.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Saw Covenant last night.

They weren't as good as when I've seen them before (although this is partly because I don't like the new album much), Eskil's singing seemed a bit off at times, and his banter between songs was somewhat incoherent. On the other hand, they played a great version of Theremin which was awesome since I've seen them three times before and they've never played it. Daniel Myer sung parts of Lightbringer and tbh was a better frontman than Eskil. Also, towards the end of the set they played an instrumental that sounded a lot more like a Haujobb track than a Covenant one, and I have no idea what it was, but it was really good.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
They opened with Stalker, which was pretty awesome. They finished with Happy Man, which ended up with Joakim dancing around, Eskil singing and Daniel beatboxing into a mic.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

hatelull posted:

Front 242 - Front by Front ... again, though the album contains two obvious classic club anthems the deep cuts like "Work 01" and "Circling Overland" completely seal the deal for me.

For me, the first five Front 242 albums (Geography, No Comment, Official Version, Front by Front and Tyranny For You) - there's a lot of other albums by other bands that I like, but few that are as good the whole way through. I kept thinking of albums by other bands that were great, but then remember all the crap tracks I skip each time I listen to them.

On a rhythmic noise kinda slant, the quartet of Nord by Imminent Starvation, Blast Furnace by Converter, Remote Assault by Sonar, and Positive Pop by Synapscape (and arguably Drum'n'Noise by Winterkalte) Those, coming out 1999 to 2001 really seemed to kick the rhythmic noise labels into gear and there was a ton of great stuff released over the next few years on Ant-Zen, Hands and similar labels. The very late 90s were a great time to get into things. And while there may have been some duff tracks on their albums, it was awesome when Apop, VNV and Covenant really exploded alongside all the noisy stuff and it became impossible to ignore them with Welcome To Earth, Empires and United States of Mind.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

chime_on posted:

Throbbing Gristle have a bunch of stuff that's pleasant to listen to. "United" is basically a pop song.

Hot On The Heels of Love is an electro track of theirs that's definitely closer to pop than scary noise. Sounds like an Anne Clark track or similar.

Twiin posted:

Yeah. I didn't want to take the bait on that post, but if Coil wasn't industrial, then nothing (save Industrial Records) is.

Aside from "electro-industrial" or co-opting just plain "industrial", there isn't really a good term that covers the gamut from TG to 242 to VNV to Combichrist to Winterkalte. Except I kind of prefer to use fairly broad generic terms otherwise you end up in a mess of micro-genres made up by one guy to refer to a couple of specific bands and most of the endless and intricate subgenre names sound dorky anyway.

I can kind of see the point of the way some people used to ostentatiously refer to everything after Industrial Records as post-industrial. That one does actually make sense, since pretty much all the various types of bands that get referred to as industrial these days do a debt of inspiration (often second or third or fourth hand, admittedly) to TG and related projects.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is it likely that Coil's older stuff will ever be rereleased? I really want to get some of those early albums but don't really relish paying upwards of fifty quid for a second hand copy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I found it.

The worst supposedly electro-industrial song.

It's like a terrible attempt to be LMFAO.

Corporate Soldiers - Party Til We Die

I got this piece of crap on a compilation sandwiched between tracks by Solitary Experiments and Patenbrigade: Wolff :smith:

The only redeeming feature is that it doesn't have a cheesy video of goggle-wearing guys and scantily clad goth girls dancing.