Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jose Mengelez posted:

Try watching that eisenfunk - pong vid and not dying of third party embarrassment.
protip : don't.

I've seen it. oh god. That song is really popular at one of the clubs I go to. I saw a band a few years ago who basically looked like that video, but chubbier and on stage in front of me. Can't remember who they were, but they were a really poor Suicide Commando-wannabe act from Spain, I think. I'm reasonably sure the singer was rocking a futuristic targeting-monocle-eyepatch thing.

hatelull posted:

What's with the "gas mask" aesthetic? Is it some nod toward the post-apocalyptic future where only the euro-friendly Metropolis fanbase will survive the inevitable VX Gas Attack, or are they just keeping themselves jacked into the Nitrous 24/7?

Most goth clubs I've been in smell kinda weird, and some goth-industrial types smell pretty weird themselves so I guess they're useful that way?

It's pretty funny when you're in a lovely tiny back-room-of-pub type "club night" and there's someone totally cybered up with giant fake hair, flourescent clothes and a glowing respirator.

On the other hand, here is some good music by Libido Formandi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

Are you sure you're not talking about Uberbyte?

(I loving despise Uberbyte)

I also despise Uberbyte. They're pretty appalling.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lord Krangdar posted:

Can anybody recommend me more bands like Mechanical Moth? I'm just getting into industrial and I want more bands with female vocals.

L'Ame Immortelle used to be somewhere between goth and electro industrial depending on the track, but now are a lot more guitary I think

Pzycho Bitch and Flesh Field are artists that you might like, but I think they've split up/stopped releasing new stuff. Which is a shame, since they were both great.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Slappy Moose posted:

Does anyone know of any songs similar to Today I Woke to The Rain of Blood by Combichrist?

Any other good ones?

I guess you might like Uberbyte, in that I think they sound like Combichrist but like neither personally.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

molotoveverything posted:

drat, I wish I haven't blown off VNV's new album so quickly earlier. Just gave the album a listen and I really enjoyed "On Air", "Radio", and "Nova". I can't blame them for mellowing out, it only seems natural, I just would have preferred they would have done it as similarly as Covenant did.

Yeah, I enjoyed the new stuff at Infest when I was hammered so was unsure if it was actually good, but saw them again a bit more sober last night and some of the new tracks seemed actually good. They aren't really pretending to do anything other than dressed up cheesy eurodance for a couple of the new tracks, but I really like cheesy eurodance. I just wish they would play some of the Advance & Follow and Praise the Fallen stuff live.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Yeah, it was confirmed at some point that Laibach would be doing the soundtrack to Iron Sky, but since there hasn't been anything about that for quite a long time I don't know if we should keep our hopes up.

Moon Nazis and Laibach are basically everything I like.

I have been listening to a lot of Mind.In.A.Box recently and am starting to think that their Crossroads release is probably one of my favourite albums at the moment. They don't really sound like anyone else, and pretty much every track is great.

Fear
Stalkers
Amnesia

I got their first album when it came out, since a friend heard of them and raved about it, and although I liked it, I got kind of bored of it since my tastes were a bit different at the time, but godDAMN they are great now. RETRO is cool too, but Crossroads is so much better it's not even funny.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 8, 2011

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

unrelated, but I can't believe I've neglected to listen to funker vogt for this long of a time. I'm absolutely loving subspace, do they have any other similar songs? I love the guy's vocals.

If I was going be slightly mean about Funker Vogt, then I'd say that all their songs are pretty similar. I like them a lot, but they're not very varied. Specific tracks that you could try are Faster Life and Lugner, both on the Survivor album. Those two tracks are a lot like Subspace.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

teethgrinder posted:

Heh.

Can't believe Visage and The Cult are still around.

I can't believe almost all of those artists are still around.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
John Foxx is playing in Glasgow next weekend and I'm still not sure if I want go to see him. I like individual songs of his, but I never want to listen to more than two or three in one go.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is Visage still made up of Steve Strange + Seize? I really liked Seize around 2003-2004.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

HOLY poo poo today I have learned. That's blown my mind.

I used to really fancy the woman in Seize who isn't Sandrine, that's how I know this to be honest.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

teethgrinder posted:

Cevin Key at his finest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9PbqPKQGDA

That's awesome.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Twiin posted:

well that's it, i quit industrial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BMWq4AERzk

I was already slightly embarassed that I'm going to a festival that Nachtmahr are playing at next year. Now, more so.

As Spinal Tap said, it's a fine line between clever and stupid. In this instance, Laibach are clever. Nachtmahr? Not so much.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

Jesus Christ, Apop's cover of "Love Will Tear Us Apart" is hideous. In parts it's painful to listen to.

Their cover of Electricity is great. This one... is not. am expecting it to get overplayed in clubs :smith:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Got the newly released Welle:Erdball album, Der Kalte Kreig. It's... well, I'm actually a bit disappointed. It's not a bad album and is still better than a lot of the electropop out there, but it's not nearly as good as Operation Zeitsturm. It has a couple of standout tracks (Feuerwerk & Amerika) but is less consistently great than Die Wunderwelt Der Technik, Tanzpalast 2000 or Operation Zeitsturm.

Edit: Also, quite a few of the tracks are cover versions, that explains things.

It does come with a live DVD though with shows from 2006 & 2009, which is really good since a] it has all the classic tracks and b] they're awesome live.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 29, 2011

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

boo_radley posted:

My latest last.fm find. Diggin them a lot: ESA/ Electronic Substance Abuse

Intense deceit and a thousand empty promises - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuOjEkrkVXw
There's a neat changeup about 60% of the way through.

How Pure Would Your Utopia Be? -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLqw3ezKwNw

ESA is loving awesome. I have fond memories of seeming him before the first album was properly released. He played a storming set, then stopped, said "That's it, I've no more songs" and walked offstage.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Maybe if they improve their lyrics, production, and stop dressing up like BDSM participants they can get the greater following they've been hoping for.

This is true of quite a lot of bands across electro-industrial music.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Zaiquiri posted:

Unfortunately this venue is like, all 16-year-old scene kids and 40-year-old goths wishing it was the 90's again. I'll probably just get wicked drunk in the alcohol section then punch teens in the face. It'll rule.

The Goth Scene, an anthropological essay by Zaiquiri.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Armor-Piercing posted:

I've only given HanDover one listening so far and I don't even remember if I finished it because goddamn Cullorblind is an awesome song.

I really like Cullorblind but the rest just isn't doing much for me except for Ashas :smith:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

TOOT BOOT posted:

Industrial bands were still releasing genre-defining albums until 1995 or so.

I started getting into industrial in 1996, mostly listening to older Skinny Puppy, FLA, 242 etc and it was a kind of strange period 96-early 99 because the previously big bands were mostly pretty quiet and there didn't seem to be much to replace them. There was tons of lovely guitary industrial that sounded the same (and wanted to be Ministry or KMFDM), side projects of FLA, bands with people who'd been in/linked to Front 242, Nine Inch Nails were pretty much everywhere like it or not and there were lots of bands that would later vanish from playlists without a trace. There didn't seem to be that many innovative bands to me at first or anything really big and interesting or different-sounding aside from Haujobb, who I didn't really get into then.

Come 1999 and moving into 2000 though, you've got VNV Nation, Covenant and Apop basically taking over playlists, Suicide Commando, the Ant-Zen & Hands Productions style rhythmic noise getting more popular and some astonishingly good stuff released, you've got things like Feindflug which sounded amazingly loving fresh to me at the time (although I'm beginning to realise that the whole doof doof doof SCARY SAMPLE aggrotech stuff that is everywhere now might be kind of their fault for inspiring some of the less impressive acts that followed their pattern in a more simplistic way) and all of a sudden there is so much just happening. Of course, there were then a horde of imitators of these bands and much decrying of Futurepop Killing The Scene, but it certainly sounded good at the time compared to a lot of other stuff that was being played.

Obviously, I know that Your Favourite Band will turn out to have released their peak album in the late 90s, thus proving me wrong, but still.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 12, 2011

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

teethgrinder posted:

Remember when Stabbing Westward was "new industrial"?

Stabbing Westward and Gravity Kills were pretty much what I was thinking of! Also, Rhys Fulber working with Fear Factory.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Nurse With Wound was also releasing their most accessible material during that span. Truly, an amazing moment in music history.

Speaking of NWW, which stuff is a good place to start? Or is it so variable in style you just need to pick random albums to see?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tias posted:

So who's going to Maschinenfest next year? It's not a real bad trek for me (Denmark), and I'd love to actually meet another goon in real life, particularly if they're anything like MF regulars :black101:

If I can persuade some buddies, then I might be there. This year none of my friends could go, and I didn't want to head solo.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Generally at VNV gigs, you'll get a bunch of people who are really into it, and a snooty bunch who are all "heh, VNV, yeah they're so lame these days" but about halfway through, a song will get played that reminds the snooty ones how much they liked them back in the day and then suddenly everyone is having fun until the last track is done.

As far as sweaty breathless fat men go, he's one of the better ones. (And, liking this kind of music, I've seen a lot)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

That's a funny way of spelling Chrome.

I was talking about Standing or Further, but basically the moral is that there's a VNV song for everyone.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I can't remember what band it was, but I remember hearing one guy would just hit play on the song on his laptop and then just rock out to solitaire while he pretended to be actually doing stuff.

When I saw Covenant recently, Daniel Myer looked bored out of his skull behind a laptop, like he was doing online banking or something.

Admittedly, Covenant at least generally give up the pretence that they're actually really playing any of the music live towards the end of the night each time I've seen them, and just start dancing around the stage goofing around.

If people want to just sing over a backing track, like Dive, that's fine with me... but I'd kinda rather they didn't pretend they were really playing or (worse) bring extra guys on stage with them to try and heighten the illusion. Pretty certain someone got caught actually miming and not even loving singing at Infest a few years ago, like they were some kind of big pop star or whatever. Can't remember who it was, but I'm sure it was someone's dodgy side project.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

spider_ross.avi posted:

Havent listened to the whole album yet, but "Dead Market" is a massive step forward for Myer imo. the music video can be seen here.

That track kinda reminds me of Nine Inch Nails, actually.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jarl posted:

Unashamedly I also adore some of the happy-go-lucky music from the 90s. I.e. dance and bublegum dance, which is as pop as it gets. In that vein am I not frightened by disco. - I imagine people in this thread feeling ill by the mere thought.

There is an awful lot of poppy synthpop that electro industrial fans like and clubs-play, some italo disco influences stuff and plenty of really silly club tracks that are about as sensible as things like Scooter and Aqua. Although some people pretend this is not the case.

Edit: If you like that Dead When I Found Her track then you should probably try out basically everything by Skinny Puppy. Although you most likely picked that up from the thread already.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 15, 2011

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

DUDE dude, don't you dare say anything even remotely mean about Aqua.

Hahaha I can't believe this disgraceful thing has a video.

Actually, I really like Aqua. They're silly pop, but awesomely silly pop.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

I'm lying of course they're all my favourite.

Carnival is best PP song, QTIYD

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is it time to talk about what our favourite albums of the year were?

For me, it was L'Unification Des Forces Opposantes by This Morn' Omina and Automatic by VNV Nation.

This Morn' Omina are always good, and L'Unification is the perfect mix of rhythmic tribal drumming and slower more contemplative interludes. I was somewhat disappointed by the Mika Goedrijk solo release the other year, but this is awesome.

Automatic, on the other hand, is a return to form after Matter+Form, Judgement and Of Faith, Power & Glory since none of those three really worked for me. Yeah, their sound has changed noticeably over the years, and they don't play things from the first two albums very much any more but Automatic is loving great. I hadn't really listened to it, since Control didn't grab me on release, but then when I went to see them live they played a bunch of their new tracks and I realised I liked them again. Nova will be the new song-you-remember-dancing-to-with-that-girl just like Standing and Beloved pretty much were before it.

I haven't bought as many CDs as I intended though, and there are quite a few of this year's releases that I intend to buy in January, including the new Synapscape which I have high hopes for.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
2012 festival talk!

I'm going to Resistanz and Infest, what else are people thinking of going to this year?

Resistanz doesn't actually have many bands I want to see, and has some I really don't want to see, but I've not seen Icon of Coil or ESA in quite a while and really like them both. Also, what the heck else am I doing at Easter? Infest is a given, regardless of bands. It's like a tradition now.

Maschinenfest is possible, but depends on friends getting their poo poo together.

I'd like to go to Elektroanschlag or Forms of Hands but I think I only know one person going to the former, and the latter clashes with a friend's wedding :smith: My experience of the noisier German festivals tend to be that hotels remotely near the venue get booked up really, really fast too.

Amphi has only one band I want to see that I've not seen before (Haujobb) and I think my friends who unsuccessfully try to talk me into it each year might be skipping it this time anyhow. Edit: also a Rammstein tribute band? WTF?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

HOT NSK ACTION

That's so awesome. Happy I'm going to get to see them again too!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

somethingwicked posted:

Metropolis has a DRM free digital store. I hope other labels are able to follow suit.

Ant-Zen seem to have recently started selling their new releases through Bandcamp.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

I will never forgive Orgy for that atrocious Blue Monday cover. That thing is loving terrible.

Do you know what else is terrible? This lovely Soman remix of Blue Monday

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Wikipedia Brown posted:

This sounds like it was made entirely with built-in samples and presets in an old version of Fruity Loops. Nothing against people who actually use Fruity Loops well, because it's a perfectly viable tool if you're not a jerk.

It's by Soman, so this is unsurprising really :v:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Necro Facility seem like they might be fun live. Never really listened to them much.

Spacebuoy appear to be the British Synthpop Band With Just One EP appearing this year (I think there's a rule that they have to have one, or something close to that) but since I like synthpop, this is good.

HOLY poo poo THE KLINIK YESSSSSSS. I'm all about sweaty Belgians making electronic music.

I picked up last year's Synapscape release, Traits. I love Synapscape, and have done for about a decade, but the last few releases have definitely ramped up the electro that kind of lurked amidst the harshness of some of the earlier releases. That's not to say it isn't good - it's really good, and is unmistakeably a Synapscape album, there's no one else who sounds anything like them really, but it's very, I'm not sure what the right word is, funky in places. A distorted disco, to use the name of an Asche album, if you will. A couple of tracks sound very much like old Synapscape (Revolving Horse & Rise), but some of the rest are more similar to the way they sound on Act! Also, I have it on good authority that they're nice guys, so you should listen to them.

Revolving Horse

Slowdive

Edit:

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I want to make a mix of nothing but industrial sample collages. So far I have:

Some of the earlier My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult stuff, perhaps?

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 2, 2012

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkWo2srE7nY

Leona will make you hurt.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Got my copy of the new Mind.In.A.Box and it rules hard.

Also, Winterkalte at Infest in August - gently caress yes, bring the noise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Twiin posted:

Winterkalte is one of my all-time most disappointing live electronic acts. I love the CDs but live it's just a boring mishmash that lasts an hour longer than it should.

I've never seen them as a headline act, so I guess perhaps having a time-constrained set is beneficial for them. That said, there are several other Hands acts I'd prefer to see.