Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Dead When I Found Her is my newest favorite band. The debut is a mindblowingly intricate piece of Skinny Puppy -esque industrial goodness, check that poo poo out NOW.

Agreed. Dead When I Found Her sounds more 80's industrial than actual 80's industrial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Some parts even sound like they could be from a Metroid game or something, which is awesome.

Funny you say that as Dead When I Found Her did a cover of the Metroid theme for fun and posted it on the facebook fan page:

http://openvein.com/ext/michael-metroid.mp3

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

WELL if we are all going to start plugging our own electro-industrial bands then I am going to have to plug Volt 9000

I hear they made the album with nothing more than a broken Sega Genesis and bobby pin.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

Rammstein being a massive exception. I'm shocked that they can play in stadiums here.

I'm in Toronto and you can't buy tickets when they come here now; they sell out super quick and then go for $300-a-pop.

That being said I saw them when they played a smaller venue for the Mutter Tour, and they put on the best live show I've ever seen. So I can understand why.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

It's crazy how either Ohgr is too "poppy" or Skinny Puppy is too "brooding", the DIMD album was too dirty and the others are too happy...

The contrast between what fans desire out of Skinny Puppy and Ohgr is ridiculous.

Either way I wouldn't blame Mark Walk if you don't like it, as they have all stated the music they've written is exactly what they wanted. Especially the myth that Cevin didn't have the majority of control over the last to SP albums.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Anyone ever get that feeling of frustration with music where suddenly you find yourself thinking that everything is completely inane, redundant loving poo poo apart from that band?

For me it's the new OhGr album excluded as it's not trying to sound like anything, let alone "indoostrial".

99% of new industrial artists with their 4|4 mechanized dance beat, growly faux-angst vocals, predictable NIN-ish arpeggiator and trite chorus repeating "power! corruption!" in military jackets.. loving STOP IT IT GOT OLD BACK IN 1992.

Try a different spin on things for Christ sake. I realize it's a set genre and that some people are content buying the same album until they die. But that doesn't mean you can't grow and experiment.

Mind.In.A.Box I'm not really into but I respect for doing it a little different. Or Dead When I Found Her for taking something that technically should sound inane stereotypical 80's industrial yet instead sounds like a breath of fresh air to the style.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Oh I can't even touch the compilations. I seriously can't weed through the same song 18 times in a row.

I am curious if people can recommend some different new artists that could still be considered a branch of industrial?
And by different I do not mean "They kinda sound like Combichrist only more intense". For the love of God.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

A really interesting interview with Ogre. They cover a lot of stuff, including Undeveloped, the upcoming Puppy album (it's 100% finished and just needs to be put out), horror movies, Ogre's interest in acting, living as an artist...

Cool interview. It is good to hear the big industrial musicians are still making it by.. I mean it's not 1990 anymore and when you hear rumors like Raymond Watts is doing hot tar roofing you gotta worry how some of them are eating lunch let alone producing a new studio album.

On the Litany msg board Mark Walk recently said something like "Why wait till after a show to meet your favorite industrial musicians when you can meet them as Wallmart greeters?". This was in reference to illegal downloading and how it has affected alot of artists especially with industrial being in middle ground, as in not needing to make a name for themselves, yet at the same time not playing arena shows.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah? I wouldn't know as I was born early 80's so until the late 90's I never really new industrial existed and even then was never into any music scene or dare I use the word, trend.

I guess I've always been under the assumption that it's been a cult-driven genre and not really a mainstream, nor profitable thing.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

hatelull posted:

An opinion where in I absolutely and strongly disagree.

I agree with your disagreement. It depends on the band too. FLA I could never get into lyrically but I guess the music and ideas were there so you could overlook that. However something like Skinny Puppy required alot of thought. Like the other poster brought up, I always heard "hot" in Assimilate as in like 'hot headed'. So quick to jump the gun with war sort of thing. I mean, there is alot of open interpretation to that writing style, where as FLA is often random short statements and the meaning of the wording is kinda obvious despite being about weird topics.

90's KMFDM were a mixed bag of very thought provoking, chant-sing-a-long inducing lyrics mixed with self-indulgent pseudo band advertisements. Which worked really well for what they were.

PIG was pretty polarizing as it was very poetic, dark as sin, but if you hate that writing style of similar words/letters then it was probably too much. Frankly I loved it.

I think it's very cool to analyze different styles of writing in industrial music, given that it's such a off the wall genre you tend to find such gems here and there that most commercial music wouldn't dare try.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

This album is loving amazing, it's past 2 AM and I just listened through it the third time in a row. gently caress. Every other FLA album I have (Caustic, Millennium, IED) is loving lame compared to this even when just a couple of days ago I thought they were pretty cool. Please tell me they have at least some other FLA albums more like this. I've got Tactical Neural Implant coming in the mail but now I'm afraid I won't care about it after listening to Civilization.

Epitaph is very close to the sound of Civilization at times. Especially tracks like Existance and Everything Must Perish. You'll see right away with the basslines and strings sound right off Civilization. IMO much less dated than TNI and like loving miles beyond stuff like Caustic Grip. If you really like the production and mixing and style of their newer stuff I'd definitely recommend Epitaph.

However this is coming from someone who dislikes dance-industrial, which I consider most FLA pre-1995.

Also I find the last 2 albums too separated in the aim of the songs, the fact that each song is a stereotype.. IE. this track is the metal track, this track is the dance track, this next one will be the slow track, this next one is the instrumental, this next one is the fast techno track, etc... as opposed to Epitaph and Civilization in which every track has elements of just about everything and IMO their best work.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

hatelull posted:

I guess Laibach have always been a band where the ideals and story behind the band were more interesting than their constant output of music. Maybe I'm just not Eastern Europe enough. :ohdear:

No, I totally agree. I never "got" them. I do respect them as industrial pioneers and all that.. but to be honest when I recently heard Life Is Life for the first time I thought it was a joke along the lines of Zlad..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKO9h-gG4Qg

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Also if you ever happen to meet me in real life don't ever mention Laibach or I will talk about them for three hours straight, whether you like it or not. I've done it before and will do it again.

Haha that's fine by me dude. Man so much occurred in the scene back in the day it blows me away how little I know.. despite being a genre fan for over a decade. I'm always down for hearing new stories.

I just recently heard that Raymond Watts of PIG used to work at a studio heading sessions for Einsturzend Neubauten and Throbbing Gristle. See? What the gently caress? I didn't know that. It's those random stories and facts that make you think how connected industrial or dare I just say progressive experimental music was back in the day. Especially in Europe, as alot of Weatern bands have been well documented but alot of the Europeans bands weren't.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

Lead singer of Army of the Universe for some reason slapped me. He grabbed the hands of people near the front. I didn't have my hand up and the jackass loving slapped me.

Bahaha sorry but that's actually pretty funny. I know nothing about him or the band but they seemed pretty energetic-yet-humble at the Toronto KMFDM show. I was right in the front for most of the show and it was just hand-claps and the occasional shouting into the crowd from my pov.

Perhaps the lights were in his eyes? It gets ridiculously bright at times.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Just a fleeting thought, I must admit I'm a bit worried they're getting too blatantly political to the point the lyrics are becoming overtly predictable. Obviously they've always been socially conscious, which is what they are all about of course, but when you focus on that one angle over and over.. well you'll loose the abstract and artistic aspects that made their 80's/early 90's stuff so different.

I'm guessing alot of that had to do with Raymond Watts, Chris Connelly, Ogre, etc... doing frequent guest vocals back then. Not that Lucia and Skold aren't good lyrically, I just think they are too close to Sascha's own writing style, and that in turn keeps things on one level as a little less dynamic creatively.

That being said I did see them live for WTF? and it was really awesome.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Oh I do think, compared to Watts or Connelly at least, she follows similar suit. When I hear choruses like "Emergency! Emergency! Insurgency!" I'm hearing it. I find she tends to stick to a more pop style however that suits her voice well especially live. Don't get me wrong I'm not a Lucia hater I think she fits in fantastic, better than Skold but I mean Skold's a whole other debate.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I think the majority of us will agree that Anarchy from the Symbols album was a really good. That being said it was his first time with KMFDM, and all he really did were vocals.

But that's the thing. After that everyone expected Anarchy. And instead we got stuff like Save Me. Which sounded like Linkin Park.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Teethgrinder if it makes you feel any better, I remember yelling out 'YEAAAAHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh' just for fun... then like a SECOND into my scream he walks out with his shirt off.

Awkwaarddd.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

sethsez posted:

The samples from Handover (gently caress capitalizing it their way) sound pretty promising. Sounds more like ohGr than Skinny Puppy, but I think that's a given at this point.

I'll agree it sounds rreeally promising... however I'm finding this one sounds way more Download than the structured OhGr.. lots of glitchy drums and wobbly synths.

I think it's gunna be a dirty album... DIRTY!

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

spider_ross.avi posted:

Finally listened to the handover previews. Sounds pretty decent, with the exception of NoiseX. It sounds like they are trying to emulate Otto Von Schirach's production style without actually having him in the production crew.

Either way, I know I'll be wrong once it comes out.

Otto Von Schirach helped out on TGWOTR so there is in fact a chance he helped out on this too. But from I've been told that track was co-created by fellow Subcon artist "Bananasloth".

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Back in 1985, me and my electro-industrial band Volt 9000 were able to get on Toronto public access TV.

It looks a little dated but I think it's still pretty relevant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xl4wuVvfXM

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Furret Basket posted:

The power glove came out in 1989. :colbert:

Well.. see.. I had this awesome uncle that worked for Nintendo and he got me the glove early cause he worked on the prototype back in 1984. I do still have the glove today.

No.. I most certainly did not find it at a thrift store in Toronto last month and faked the whole video in my garage and then dumped it onto VHS tape back and forth a bunch of times to make it look old. I mean, why would someone do that?

Thanks P.M.F. Ya the whole project is very OhGr/Pigface/1980's inspired.

The Cleaner fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 16, 2011

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Quirk posted:

Since there's a couple of you waiting for me to post something with lyrics, I'm REALLY really trying to get something done soon after spending half the year learning how to sing. Just stuff keeps getting in the way

I have an hour to kill before my ride comes to pick me up. Here... now you're a star!

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

drat it it's 2011, not 1990. If you're trying to offend with your lyrics it's probably not offending anyone worth offending (or dare I say "making them think" it's probably doing the complete opposite). And if multiple people question why your trying hard to seem offensive and you say "I'm not trying it's just how I write/who I am" then you're lying to yourself.

AND by this I don't just mean swearing/cursing I mean that fine line that crosses artful expression into stereotypical mediocrity.

CIRCUITFUCK 69 - Bloodpuss Electrolosis (IN YOUR BRAINZ poo poo MIX)

The Cleaner fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 5, 2011

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

The issue for me is that is has been done to death. I'm sure maybe back in the 80's maybe it WAS offensive or edgy. Nowadays? You mine as well wear a powdered wig with your gasmask and distorted dance beats.

I had a chance to listen to the new Skinny Puppy leak and IMO it's a good example of edgy-without-trying-to-be-edgy. The whole album is just uncompromising and almost reminds me a ViVisectVi freeform unstructured stuff.. some of it actually dark too like Brownstone which imo one of the more twisted tracks I've heard (although not really a 'song' but still wtf). Definitely recommending this album.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

I guess I just don't give a poo poo about Skinny Puppy anymore. Listened to 3 of the tracks on Youtube and while they were interesting they weren't anything I'd want to listen to more than a few times.

I think I've just gotten tired of most industrial. Even the thought of throwing on Psalm 69 or Too Dark Park just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Out of sheer curiosity what do you find you listen to currently?

If you say Combichrist I'll poo poo.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

deong posted:

Wtf... I don't really understand what I just read. Is there a lot of assumed knowledge to the article? what is 'scene' music? How have there been 3 allegations with out police involvement?

I'm assuming it is just BS hype perpetrated by the band to head to the top of a "scene" which is mostly MSI-wannabe mall-goth hellectro hot-topic PAY ATTENTION TO ME MOM emo-dustrial music.

But hey I don't judge.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

A few people think Trent Reznor peaked with NIN - The Fragile.. personally I think everything was poo poo after he left Slam Bamboo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-rwSEO8U1k

God.. the 80's.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Why are you upset at Nachtmahr?

German name: ✔
English vocals w. accent: ✔
4|4 kick drum: ✔
Euro synth patch: ✔
Military outfits: ✔
Sides of head shaved: ✔
Pointless melodrama: ✔

They have 100% complied with all pre-requisites, stereotypes, and fit the cookie-cutter perfectly. There should be no qualms over this. THEY FIT IN.

On the brighter side of the genre... Wavy from Handover officially released on some PETA side. Actually one of my favorite tracks this year.. deeper and more free-form than Village IMO:

http://blog.peta2.com/2011/10/exclusive-download-from-skinny-puppy.html

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Had that video not shown pics of gothic imagery and industrial fashioned people, they could have posted a bunch of 80's dudes with suits, ties, and bad hair and it wouldn't be out of place.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I hate to advert personal projects on here but I'll spam our new video just because we're releasing it tonight on Halloween and people seemed to get a kick out of the last one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29PydXDOtHw

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

No Toronto show? Not even Buffalo? Yikes this will be the 3rd OhGr show I miss. Even had the tickets for the DIMD show but ended up in the hospital that night. Swore I'd make it out to the next one.. Oh well. The NEXT one.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Been listening to XTORT in the car lately. I usually prefer KMFDM's later, less guitar-driven stuff, but goddamn if that isn't a great album.

One of my favs from them. Something very underground and progressive about it.. especially the darker tracks like Icons, Dogma and Wrath.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

There were lots of 90's bands that went for that 80's sound but never really went anywhere as I think many went too far in doing the SP/NIN impersonations as opposed to doing that style their own way. As far as decent newer bands?

Dead When I Found Her mentioned a few times here of course, for that late 80's industrial style (but done with very good 2010 production). Though most of it is danceable it has a 'listening' vibe, at times rock-oriented. Especially their mid-tempo stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um030N1rJs8&feature=related

Also Interlace, though dancey at times is also really dark and cold with emotion. Almost a blend of 90's and newer industrial styles, even a bit Too Dark Park-ish on their last release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bzjA7DVnZo&feature=related

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Wikipedia Brown posted:

That's the thing. In theory, one might want a band that sounds like classic Skinny Puppy, but in reality, what made SP great was experimentation and evolution. A band that tries to sound like a bunch of forgotten B-sides from an earlier point in some other band's career is not interesting.

What I'm saying is Necro Facility sucks.

To be fair, technology-wise, it was a MUCH more unique time to be making music back then. MIDI was just invented along with FM synthesis (Zyklon B Zombie wink wink), sampling had just started significant progress, synth and sound-design options were being upped every year, etc.. etc... tons of huge breakthroughs. Nowadays the biggest breakthrough is more about what new iPad app emulates what synth or which DAW has the prettiest interface. The level of major breakthroughs in technology just are not the same (aside from digital format which has been around over a decade and now is more about controlerism). There are small breakthroughs in the world of computer-music but again, it's nothing that didn't already exist in some form 11 years ago.

AND the fact that everything wasn't already done to loving death genre-wise. Back then the underground was punk music and industrial didn't have a all the "scene artists" who got signed because everything about them was over the top and popular (except their actual music which they themselves didn't even care much about).

I do agree with you though Mr Brown. Hell, I honesty can't say I even "listen to industrial" because then people immediately assume I listen to KRAUTENBACHNERERTCRR with their HEAVY 4|4 dance beatz! Dressed in military clothes! "Cold" lyrics and 80's Juno synth! To the extreme! gently caress. That's not experimental-industrial. That's something else.

I'm going to call it "Boomstep". It's boomstep from now on ok

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

spider_ross has been banging out so many industrial beats he has himself become machine

Also, samples:

Pig - Redman

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I'd bet EVERYBODY who continuously reads this thread knows your complaint all too well, teethgrinder.

"Yeah? I'm really into alot of underground electro too! Ya know, like Deadmau5, Skrillex. Because I'm really into music with bass."

It's a wonderful world.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I guess I'm just some backwoods Canadian beaver-fucker when I say that I had no idea industrial was ever a "scene" until recent years. WTF.

I've listened to it alot longer... but always just considered it cool experimental/underground music that rejected the mainstream.

The idea of hundreds of 18-year-olds sitting outside a club downtown in 1988, dressed in gas-masks and black hair spray waiting for _____ DJ to spin the newest hip industrial single to stomp-dance to kinda makes my brow wrinkle the same way as when you tell a small child that millions of years ago terrible thunder lizards walked the earth.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Just wanted to share news that us goons The Cleaner and spider_ross.avi have just released the electro-industrial album we've been working on for the past year, aptly titled "MUTRONIX".

It's the 3rd 'Volt 9000' album and it's very oHgr/Skinny Puppy/Download inspired. 11-tracks of crazy. I think many who frequent this thread would find it, in the least, amusing.

Two Soundcloud tracks below for a preview:

http://soundcloud.com/volt9000/meltdown
http://soundcloud.com/volt9000/outworld

It's out on iTunes/Amazon/CDbaby and all that junk

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Aufzug Taube! posted:

Wow! Great work.

Thanks dude! Glad you like it.