Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Thanks guys. I'll have to check out Prick, I haven't actually heard their stuff. Any recommendation?

boo_radley posted:

Which music vendor gives you the biggest percentage?

CDbaby is what distributes all the music to iTunes and Amazon and the rest, so generally they do, but it depends how you set it up. I guess if your looking for wide distribution, it comes down to Tunecore or CDbaby, so that is probably what you'll want to compare..

http://cdbabyvstunecore.com/

boo_radley posted:

I have a terrible vocabulary for musical technicalities, so please bear with my idiocy. It feels like they're floating above the music -- like they're overly treble-y and disconnected from the track.

Contrast that with Outworld -- I like the vocals here because there's just a bit of processing on them, but it's not overdone. They're not buried in the track, they're not cookie-monster processed to death. They work with and support the music.

Well that's enough of my horrible opinion.

Horrible? That's literally the most in-depth and descriptive criticism I've ever gotten on vocals. Usually it's more like "Uh vocals sound funny" or "Sounds is ok but it needs to be harder.. just like, harder". I'm still learning to get vocals it sit well, and also experimenting with writing with less fx. So your opinion is taken with high regard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Some of Skold's stuff I love because it just rocks and works perfectly (KMFDM - Anarchy, one of the songs that got me into industrial)

Some of his stuff I find too pandering and emo (KMFDM - Save Me, sounds like something directly off a Linkin Park CD)

I have also noticed he gets into bands on their way out, and inadvertently gained a reputation as a "band killer". It's interesting but I think it's more of him just climbing the ladder and getting higher up in the industry - and bands in their prime don't exactly hire new members/songwriters. Regardless you got to give the guy credit as he successfully worked all the way up to Marylin Manson starting from the absolute bottom.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Also The Cleaner and spider_ross.avi I want to buy all your drat albums because they rock poo poo, but I don't want MP3s. Get on Bandcamp or something, I want FLACs. I want to give you some loving money

Ew, money? Gross. But lucky for you we are in the process of building a Bandcamp page (with full wavs), a merchandise store, and a free V9k sample-loop pack for musicians. Should be done by the end of the month!

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Also The Cleaner and spider_ross.avi I want to buy all your drat albums because they rock poo poo, but I don't want MP3s. Get on Bandcamp or something

Finally, done.
http://volt9000.bandcamp.com

Quirk posted:

Shotgun Messiah has been completely forgotten by industrial.

You know I never realized how they dove back and forth from sounding like harder edged <PIG> tracks, to drat-these-pants-are-tight-and-look-at-my-nipples hair metal.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Can someone please explain to me why Nachtmahr/AlienVampires/BloodOnTheDanceFloor/etc... all have photos, videos, and live shows with half naked women loving everywhere?

I feel really bad for bands like Skinny Puppy, Throbbing Gristle, and Einstürzende Neubauten. It's as if being talented and creating great music is the one turn-off for sexy goth chicks.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Maybe their all deaf women?

I hope the next Volt 9000 artwork will only have naked photos of you and spider_ross.avi

Would that make you like the music better, bro?

The Cleaner fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 23, 2012

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Quote My rear end posted:

Hey guys, great thread. Awesome vid, Twiin. 9000volt, your stuff is cool.

I know this is mostly an edm/electro industrial thread, but was wondering if anyone had recommendations for bands that were more of the machine rock type of industrial. The closest bands that have been mentioned are ones like kmfdm, NIN and a while back, Ohgr.

Thanks Quote My rear end.
To me, KMFDM, NIN, and Ohgr are at very opposite ends of the genre/style, so it's hard to say. But some other bands not mentioned that might spark your interest..

Interlace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDtfHkm-qbQ&feature=related
From their album "Imago". The whole album is kinda like if you took Year Zero and mixed it with elements of Too Dark Park. European band, maybe a bit more elextronic than what your looking for but still interesting and very "machine music".

Mortiis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liu5_axCFoQ
That band with the guy who literally dresses like a troll. But he doesn't do that anymore, apparently. The whole EP sounds exactly like you mixed Portrait Of An American Family with The Fragile and had Al Jourgensen do vocals. It's ok, if your into that sort of thing.

Kobold
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9xnAeT7LSw
From the album "The Taste Of Copper". Very much influenced by Skinny Puppy - The Process though maybe more electronic. Don't know much about them I think they just put out this one album a couple years ago and then kinda went on hiatus.

Dead When I Found Her
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBbXNSRCvuM&feature=related
From recent debut album "Harms Way". Probably the best of the 80's industrial clones. He gives it tons of heart, and although clearly using modern production tricks, sonically he does sound better than most actual 80's industrial music.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Konstruct posted:

From my perspective the genre has done a 180 and instead of throwing institutional standard out the window it's completely homogenized itself to try and cash in on a genre that historically doesn't make money.

^ THIS. I gotta support Twiin it's sad when "industrial" artists are the ones being accused of lacking artistic merit and supporting oppressive views. These bands have the chance to actually make people think, to shift cultures with groundbreaking art, to showcase different conceptual ideas through their shows to the thousands in attendance. That's such a gift, to be given that chance given the history of the genre.

Instead they act like college bros. Dress (un-ironically) in uniform and play out violent misogynist fantasies, claiming anything that lacks any real merit as "fetishist". Please. Not to say there isn't a place for dumb, brainless conformist music. It's just that industrial used to be focused on attacking social and political ideas through art and performance.

Now it's about getting yer dingus wet

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Non Serviam posted:

I don't want to continue derailing the thread

No lets derail more about how hundreds of different symbols can be interpreted as offensive to many different people around the world in different countries at different time points in the history of humanity.

OR just to keep on this stupidly dodgy topic, that people find the confederate flag supports racism against black people.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

:woop: Excited about the electronics, not excited about the "modern EBM" part - although I do think Leeb should be able to make it interesting. Personally I just want another Civilization because it is the Best Album.

Agreed. While definitely not their hardest or most experimental.. it did have some of their best production and melody. I'd love to hear something like that, except maybe a tad darker. Just not EBM or something predictable.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Ugh.

And you know he jerked off to it too.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I'm fairly certain that Thomas Rainer's promos are written by The Ultimate Warrior circa 1990.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkEl_R0dTfY

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Clint Mansell, Cevin Key, Trent Reznor, now Bill Leeb...

Industrial musicians make the best soundtracks. You'd think there would be more directors and producers going after the alot of them out there. But I suppose either the money isn't there or they are too afraid they'll write something too "weird".

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Industrial music is now emo music with drum machines and military uniforms.

Also it does not make a statement.

(pic is unrelated)

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Konstruct posted:

New Dead When I Found Her album is out and it's really good. A lot more chill than his first album. I definitely recommend giving it a listen.

drat good stuff. Even more darker and thematic than the last album. A little more experimental than the last too, with tracks like 'Doll Parts' really drifting into more free-form structure and sequence...

Pope Guilty posted:

So I've been listening to Tactical Neural Implant a bunch lately. Any recommendations for similar-sounding stuff?

... and speaking of which, mix SP - Cleanse Fold & Manipulate with FLA - Tactical Neural Implant and you've got a good chunk of the sound Dead When I Found Her goes for. Only with really strong modern production values.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

hatelull posted:

Supposedly Puppy was supposed to be announcing a tour for the slightly above mediocre awesome Handover

Fixed that for ya.

Personally I'd rather a tour as well. The last few releases from Cevin's side projects, while being really good sonically, were kinda repetitive as it seems he's going more for dance-oriented music as opposed to wtf soundscapes and experimental music. The non-vocal tracks on Bananasloth being the best and most groundbreaking.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I think everything about Handover *ASIDE* from the music was mediocre.

- The artwork, while I adore everything SRG, looked really dialed in. Like he read the word Handover and took it literally. Not terrible but not amazing like previous albums.

- The release date and marketing was in oblivion. The album got little hype, little hope, little word. An anti-climatic release thanks to the business side of it.

- The promo photos looked like back-yard cosplay. I blame the photographer, as they are the ones who either make you look badass or foolish. You can tell they were like "Eh. Face paint eh. Ok stand there. Look there. Now look over there. Done." They did not share whatever vision Ogre and Cevin were going for.

- No tour. No lyrics. No major intensity built up as the albums usually would. No real controversy (aside from it taking months and months to be released)

The *music* however was probably their least conventional, mainstream, or accessible album since Last Rights and deserved alot better.

CAT rear end now!!! ya for sure check out Rag Doll Blues I can pretty much guarantee you'll like it if you dug Harms Way.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Dotcom656 posted:

I guess while I'm posting here I might as well ask. Does anyone have any that sounds close to the style and pace of these Skinny Puppy songs? Politikil (Current favorite), Pro Test (In OP), I'mmortal.

I'm not very good at describing WHY I like them. But if anyone can see a common pattern between those songs and recommend more like them I would be happy. There's probably more songs on their other albums like those, but I haven't given them all a listen so far. It seems very hit or miss for me.

Our first three albums (band is Volt 9000) stole borrowed alot of that specific style (cut-and-paste-vocals, over production, video-gamey)

http://volt9000.com/overloadmega.mp3
http://www.volt9000.com/beast.wav
Look just don't tell Mark Walk alright

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Man it just dawned on me after watching the new How To Destroy Angels video, where they are using a bunch of custom eurorack synths..

All this dystopian, urban wasteland, post apocalyptic gritty underground music is, for the most part, made with the most expensive synthesizers, VA's, effects racks and loaded iMacs that no actual poor underground street musician/rebellion could ever afford.

If the economy ever does actually meltdown and crash, Einsturzend Neubauten styled industrial is going to come back into style waaaay fast.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AxJTynZSVU
Al Jourgensen - It's Always Christmas Time

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

New KMFDM album snippets are 100% exactly what I pictured in my head when I read "new KMFDM album snippets".

Irony is I'll still be giving Sascha my money.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Really? I wasn't impressed with Airmech. Sonically, it's strong and all, but I find it very well interchangeable with any video game or sci-fi soundtrack I've heard over the past 5 years. Also it just sounds to me like what it is - FLA instrumentals.

I think playing it with the game it would be very cool, but for me to just sit and listen to from start to end is too repetitive. You guys hyped it up too much for me, drat it.

The Cleaner fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 20, 2013

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Oh yah, I've said a few times I think Civilization IS one of their best albums, totally agreed. There's tons of lush melody and they kinda dropped the angry cyborg thing for that album. I think someone here said it almost started to drift into Delirium territory at times, and I'd agree with that.

Though I haven't heard IED yet. Maybe I should skip it from what I'm reading here.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Combichrist...

...Has he finally released an album without at least one track making GBS threads on women?

LabyaMynora posted:

Blood on the Dance Floor was nothing but all ages shows.... because it's a loving pedophile band.

Omi-Polari posted:

There's apparently some neo-folk and martial industrial bands playing a free show at a coffeeshop in my city tonight. One's Facebook page shows them looking like the Hitler Youth with descriptions about Germanic blood neo-paganism.

...that scene is filled with literal Nazis.

Industrial: The Anus of Electronic Music

Seriously what the gently caress happened to this genre? Holy loving poo poo it's a god damned abomination and growing.
Hate to get into all that again, but when I read stuff like this I loose all hope.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG7P6NX8yyE

But who am I to judge if they're happy and getting laid. Living the dream, right?

Snookie and the rest of Jersey Shore could pop out and start fist-pumping at any point in that video and you wouldn't even bat an eye.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Radio Paranoia posted:

Brainless club music, but the music video for that track was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajlCLQqhiOg

Haha ok, ok that one was actually really good.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

SacrificialGoat posted:

So, new Front Line Assembly album this July. I'm pretty excited. Album cover here http://www.mindphaser.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/fla-cover.jpg

It's like Wolverine's Adamantium-infusion procedure went horribly wrong.

Cool.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

First of all, let me say I wish I could speak multiple languages. I have a ton of respect for people in Europe who learn and can speak English. I really don't know how they do it. As a Canadian, I took mandatory French classes for 10 years and yet I barely know a word of it. It's such a challenge and I have nothing but envy and respect for those bilingual. That being said...

I am a little surprised at how many European industrial musicians (who are still developing and advancing their English) are so quick to write all their songs in English. Lyrics are poetry. Especially abstract industrial lyrics. They can get pretty deep. And sometimes, if your not fluent in that language.. well sometimes it shows. I'm not complaining or trying to be insulting. I just find it odd that they don't try and do more stuff in their original language. Hell, I'd love to check out some sick Russian version of Ministry or NIN or Skinny Puppy or whatever. But of course I tend to see more European bands doing a broken-English thing rather than that. Which I assume is because most 'Murican fans wouldn't put up with it(?)

Actually, I think the only thing I'd like to see MORE than that, is a US/Canadian/British born-and-raised industrial band go to like Germany or Russia and try and write all their songs in broken German or Russian. Someone get on that.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

hatelull posted:

I figure it will be a natural progression from Handover, so I'm ok with cEVIN's hyperactive keyboards and nu-style vocals from Ogre.

From all the samples and tracks I've heard it's quite the opposite. Old school vocal production and retro analog synths/drum machines. Very little "laptop" style production. I'm actually shocked at how much it sounded like Remission. Every album they've done up to this has been sonically experimental and different. But this one looks like the concept was retro-resurgence.

Personally I loved the past 3 albums (especially Handover) but I've got a feeling this will shut up fans who wish they'd drop the VA/glitchy/computerized FX style and go back to the basics. Plus it's new SP so you've got to give it multiple listens before it really sinks in.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

As a couple goons might remember, spider_ross.avi and myself make up the band Volt 9000, and our 4th album "CONOPOLY" just came out yesterday on Artoffact Records. It's our first ever label release so I'm gonna spam it here because..

A. Spider_ross and myself met on SA Forums
B. Musicians Lounge goons helped us out alot in the beginning
C. Our last album got mostly positive responses here

Heavily influenced by Ohgr and Skinny Puppy, so while it's a little awkward having it released so closely to Weapon, I think it stands far enough apart in our sound design and direction. You can check out the single/video "Toybox" below if yer curious... otherwise the album is out now on iTunes and Artoffact! Thanks guys.

http://youtu.be/mZ5SXAXdBcs

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Thanks guys! Ya hopefully it gets across to people. So far it's had a good response, and with weirdo-wtf-industrial you never know what to expect.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Konstruct posted:

edit: Bought it

Thanks man! Glad ya like it.

SacrificialGoat posted:

I just wonder why the hell people would want merch for a band that hasn't put out any music yet

I remember seeing the band Slipknot on the FRONT COVERS of some mainstream music magazines just before their debut album even dropped. It was then I learned that looks, style, aesthetics, clothing, merch, rumors, logos, design, shirts, posters, photos, costumes, credentials, band members, clout, concepts, artwork, and attitude are enough to warrant a solid fan base and heavy media coverage.

You don't always require secondary add-on stuff like music.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

chime_on posted:

I doubt that very much. Roadrunner did give a huge promo push for the second album, but hardly anyone outside of Iowa knew who Slipknot was before their first album, or even indeed until they signed with Roadrunner.

Maybe during their demo days, but not only did their video Wait And Bleed have super-heavy rotation (which George Strombolopolis pushed every chance he possibly could) but their first live show in Toronto sold out fast (which I know cause I tried to get tickets and wanted to see what the fuss was about but couldn't). Their first album also went platinum, which was a first for RoadRunner Records. I saw kids wearing Slipknot tshirts about a month after the release.

Maybe Toronto was just alot bigger on metal music at the time? I dunno. Though to be fair, I do realize that they had quite a reputation for putting on crazy live shows in the US which would explain the press and attention I witnessed just before their album hit (which was possibly released late in Canada?)

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Twiin posted:

TWITTER says you're playing Toronto soon, yes? What are the deets!

We're playing a live show Thurs June 27th with Prospero, Encephalon, and Legend in Toronto..
$10 gets you in and a free album of your choice from one of the four bands:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/511746478860936/

It's a small club too so WHo knows what hijinks will happen? Maybe we will light the place on fire! Maybe our sequencing laptop will go blue-screen-of-death mid setlist and we'll smash it! Who knows!

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

kangal posted:

Hey pal. not for nothing but "Toybox" is probably the best slow jam I've heard this year.

A million thank-yous!

Thanks man! I was on the other side opposite the bar but I guess you didn't see me. Thanks buying Andrew a drink!! He seriously appreciated it.

I live in a bubble and recently realized the average person has no clue about big agricultural corruption, let alone federal-reserve/hedgefunds/currency wars/etc... the concept just went along with the theme and samples of the opening track and we wanted to create some 'WTF is this poo poo?' hijinks so we did it anyway. Maybe too much, ya. But it was a one time deal and were worried people would be bored with us. Thanks for the input tho - our first show so any input is totally valued.

The other bands were awesome.. Encephalon and Propero sounded great to me. Legend not totally industrial but insanely intense and powerful. They'll be blowing people away in Terminus. I wish I could go.

The Cleaner fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 28, 2013

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

All I can say is over 30 countries across the world (including most of Europe) have completely banned gmo foods after proving it to be full out cancer causing and toxic. To be fair, it took both my parents diagnosed with cancer within 6 months of each other before I got off my arse and starting seriously researching and getting answers as to why cancer rates in North America have gone up close to 300% in the last fifty years.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Almost everything about the american lifestyle has changed in the past 50 years.

If you want to get specific, look at every third-party non-biotech laboratory that has done experiments with lab rats fed GMO foods, and the raging tumors they found rapidly developing. Cigarette companies use to use that same excuse of "Welp many things cause cancer about the American lifestyle" and for years even doctors themselves weren't convinced, despite all the studies outside of the cigarette companies funded studies. Sure. it's not just about lifestyle, it is taking the specifics of what cancers pertain to what developmental factors. Diet and food intake is a really, really big factor nowadays. Especially considering all those modern "lifestyle" changes in the Western world.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I believe this is one of the studies in question, if anyone wants to read it, Food and Chemical Toxicology Volume 50, Issue 11:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278691512005637
Virgin albino Sprague-Dawley rats.

Another on the International Journal For Biological Studies:

http://www.ijbs.com/v05p0706.htm

Longer-term (up to 2 years) feeding experiments are clearly justified and indeed necessary. This requirement is supported by the fact that cancer, nervous and immune system diseases, and even reproductive disorders for examples can become apparent only after one or two years of a given intervention treatment under investigation, but they will not be evident in all cases after three months of administration when first signs of toxicity may be observed [22, 23].

The Monsanto studies themselves ran for only 90 days. For those claiming it's just a weak conspiracy theory, it's public knowledge that dozens of former Monsanto personnel have been appointed into FDA and political positions, including the FDA's Reviewer on Scientific Data:

http://fracturedparadigm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/monsanto_fda+chart.png

Maybe many don't see how that could be a bad thing, but to me it's an enormous conflict of interest. Including the fact that Obama signed the 'Monsanto protection act', essentially barring the federal courts from stopping the planting/sales of the pesticide-infused gmo seeds.

I could go on with lists of documents showing pages and pages of Monsanto and Big Agri controversy/corruption but I don't think it's appropriate to drag this on too much in a music thread.

-------------

My bottom line is if you don't believe any of this and think it's all made-up conspiracy (despite over 30 other countries who would disagree and have banned it until further testing), why not just LABEL it? If you think it's safe for you and your kids, that's your choice and doesn't affect me. But right now they are fighting tooth and nail not to label it because, in their own words, the stickers would be too "costly" and instead spent hundreds of millions campaigning to have legislation not to have to legally label it. I simply believe we should have the right to know exactly what we are eating and feeding our families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

It's a bit much, ya. I think from now on we're going to play it safe and avoid the whole political-social-conspiracies gimmick... and just stick to beating the poo poo out of women while wearing SS-inspired uniforms while waving confederate flags.

You know, the acceptable genre tropes.
:downsrim: