Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Nice job, this thread is off to a good, informative start :)

Anyway, I love most of this poo poo and I don't have all that much to add to everything you guys have already posted here. However, here are some of my favorites (all links are to sick nasty songs on Youtube):

I loving love And One (song showcases both the EBM-y and synthpop sides of the band), new album Tanzomat coming this Friday! gently caress yes!

Absurd Minds sounds a lot like a Project Pitchfork knockoff, but nowadays they have a way more distinct sound of their own than before. It's actually a real good band now!

Dead When I Found Her is my newest favorite band. The debut is a mindblowingly intricate piece of Skinny Puppy -esque industrial goodness, check that poo poo out NOW.

You know what's awesome? Diary of Dreams, that's what (I have no idea what's up with that Nic Cage movie in that video :v:). Heart-aching melancholy, beautiful piano melodies, longing guitars and absolutely pitch-black electronic soundscapes. New album Ego:X coming out in Summer or so.

I saw Solitary Experiments last summer and it was loads of fun. Big rear end synth sounds not unlike VNV Nation or Assemblage 23.

I dig the poo poo out of everything the Project Pitchfork mastermind Peter Spilles shits out, including his side projects. Imatem's tracks are composed by Spilles, but most vocals are done by various guest singers. Imatem is more on the synthpoppy side of Pitchfork, whereas Santa Hates You is more about fun, danceable dark electro. The first album is mostly a curiosity, but the second album Crucifix Powerbomb is an astonishingly solid piece of work that everyone should give a listen to.

Alright, now for the heavier, more guitar-driven side of this music (or "bands that are like Rammstein" in a silly layman's terms)!

Eisbrecher and Megaherz often go hand in hand because of the bands' history. Eisbrecher was formed in 2004 after the singer and guitarist/keyboardist from Megaherz decided the band wasn't all that fun anymore, but Megaherz decided to keep doing their thing. Eisbrecher is generally more electronic and more playful but also more brutal, whereas Megaherz has moved from almost Korn-like sounds on the album "5" to very minimally electronic metal, like their latest album Heuchler. Both bands are working on new albums, Megaherz's one is supposed to be released sometime next autumn.

[die!] deserves a mention here, too. The band nowadays has Megaherz's amazing ex-singer from the album "5" and sounds fantastic.

Gothminister is from Norway and fuckin' owns. There's something slightly poppy about the Minister's wonderfully dark poo poo, but who the gently caress cares? The band owns even more live, I've seen them once here in Finland and it was easily one of the most energetic and fun concerts I've ever been to. Such passion! New album coming out this March, surprisingly sounds like Mr. Brem has taken some influences from Norway's black metal scene!

OOMPH! is probably my favorite band right next to fuckin' Laibach. OOMPH! is one of the original NDH bands, and the early hit Sex basically has all the cornerstones of the sound Rammstein later popularized. Even after 22 years, styles ranging from the first album's raw EBM to insanely brutal stuff from the 90s and from the late nineties' more mature sound to this day's extremely refined, totally unique sound, the band is still at large and in the business of kicking shitloads of rear end. New album is in the works, and it's set to be more electronic and playful than the last couple of ones.

And finally, Finland's own pride Turmion Kätilöt. One of the most vicious, destructive bands in the whole drat business, made tongue in cheek and with a fiery passion for awesome music. Think Rammstein, add in even more grotesque lyrics (in Finnish) and violent brutality and you have TK. Band is absolutely amazing live.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Radio Paranoia posted:

Agreed! I heard them purely by chance a few years back when a friend from Finland was sending me some bands and Turmion beat me over the head before setting fire to my house and drinking all my beer. Their first two albums are absolutely brilliant, though I felt they lost the plot with U.S.C.H a bit. I'm interested to hear their newest album though.

I would LOVE to see them live! Curse being on the arse-end of the world.

You MUST listen to Perstechnique. As I said in the old thread, it's in my opinion probably the band's most solid one this far. More mature songwriting, better lyrics, even more tongue-in-cheek, the band just sounds better than ever before. I didn't think they could top Hades in brilliance but Vedetäänkö vai ei? comes frighteningly close, even though it loses plenty of its meaning if you don't understand the lyrics.

By the way, if you're interested in learning what the dudes are saying I could try to translate some of the songs for you. However, you might not realize it from the forgettable English lyrics, but the Finnish ones are surprisingly complex and play with words a lot, so good translations with all the meaning intact might be difficult to make.

e: And then I remembered the site turmion-katilot.info already has some crude translations of all the albums apart from the newest one. Oh well

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 1, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Radio Paranoia posted:

Expecting instant success, which, for all intents and purposes, they had. They just aren't Depeche Mode or VNV Nation yet after a lowly 5 years.

This. Maybe they shouldn't have signed to a scene label if they wanted a wider audience? "Circumstances outside of our control" my rear end, I'm sure they promptly shat their pants when Out of Line approached them. Besides, Out of Line is a label that has shown that even this "obscure Germanic sub-genre", as Hagström calls it, can have wider than just scene success. Really, look at Out of Line's band lineup: it's full of up-and-coming superstars, already established scene heavyweights or groups on the road to mainstream success. For example, I personally don't like Combichrist at all, but the band is touring with loving Rammstein. And hell, Blutengel's newest album Tränenherz that was released a couple of weeks ago instantly grabbed the #12 spot on the official German sales lists, but that spot was taken with years and years of hard loving work on Chris Pohl's part. Like the man's work or don't, but you have to agree that he's worked his rear end off with all his projects for like twenty years. Ashbury Heights has been making music since what, 2005? Maybe they should've tried entering the Eurovision or something if fame overnight was what Mr. Hagström wanted.

It's simply ridiculous to claim they didn't have the success they deserved. The industrial/gothic/electro/whatever scene is gigantic in Germany where Out of Line operates from, and I'm pretty sure the label had a hand in getting them into people's minds and stereo systems. I personally witnessed this guy playing for a crowd ten thousand eager people strong, which I'd say is quite a bit more than most bands that've been performing for five years could even begin to hope for. The man has a huge filthy ego and is, apparently and unfortunately, an rear end. They were on a huge upswing, but Hagström decided it was a good idea to shoot himself in the foot :thumbsup:

:rant: artists that think their poo poo is hotter that it actually is :rant:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 2, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It's weird seeing [insert name of seminal electro-industrial band] in the UK where sometimes you have a small venue and half the people there are fans of the local support, then seeing pictures of them at massive venues in mainland Europe.

Yeah, it's the same here in Finland. Really the only industrial band that can pull a mostly full house seems to be Turmion Kätilöt, and that's likely because they appeal to a lot of metalheads as well. For example Project Pitchfork's gig here in autumn had like 150-ish attendees, and that band gets to headline scene festivals alongside acts like And One and Skinny Puppy. I was actually really surprised that there seemed to be slightly more people attending Diary of Dreams' gig last spring than Pitchfork, I had no idea the band even had a fanbase here in the first place.

But seriously, if you get the chance, plan a trip to Germany one summer and visit Amphi (for a more contained festival) or Wave Gothik Treffen (for a trillion billion bands scattered across the city for several days). It's pretty insane to see literally tens of thousands of goths and other relevant people dancing to your favorite bands.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Found a new band via a Facebook ad saying "Like Nine Inch Nails? Check out Cell!" or something. After my initial disgust and shame of actually clicking on an ad on Facebook, I found this band to be a completely shameless emulation of the NIN sound, the singer even sounds a huge lot like Trent. I'm not entirely sure what kind of an attitude I should take towards this band, the music's obviously very well done and it's easy for me to like it because I love NIN, but these tracks really could almost be lost The Fragile-era B-sides or something, and I don't particularly dig blatant ripoffs.

Their site has a free EP for download in the Music section.

I'm seriously confused right now.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

After listening to the free four-track EP a couple of times now, I have to say there's a weird sense of... emptiness in all of these songs. They're all nicely done, and they've really nailed the NIN sound perfectly, but I can't help but feel the soul Trent pours into his works is missing. It's like these guys have decided to see if they can make songs like Reznor and succeeded, but haven't even tried to take it anywhere further than that. I really can't see myself listening to any more of this, it just plain makes me uncomfortable.

In comparison to Cell, Dead When I Found Her sounds an awful lot like 80s industrial, but something in the music just makes it sound like there's some heart put into it. DWIFH just sounds more honest, for the lack of a better word. It also helps that it's not simply a direct copy of the stuff he obviously draws most of his inspiration from, but it's like it's a direct, logical evolution of that era. I also think the dude has a pretty distinct sound of his own in there, too. Some parts even sound like they could be from a Metroid game or something, which is awesome.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Quirk posted:

How bad in comparison to say, Halo In Reverse?

What the gently caress, where do these bands pop up :psyduck: It's getting worse by the second

I mean really, don't these people have anything of their own to express? I can't see how blatantly replicating a sound someone else has created and perfected could satisfy a person's needs to express themselves artistically :psyduck:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 7, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

Funny you say that as Dead When I Found Her did a cover of the Metroid theme for fun and posted it on the facebook fan page:

http://openvein.com/ext/michael-metroid.mp3

drat, I had no idea how close I was with my Metroid comment :hellyeah: I freaking love the music in Metroid, this is just amazing. Thanks!

SentinelXS posted:

It's really bad when you can even pick out a specific song that they're ripping from. For example, here's totally not NIN - Closer. Gives you a weird uneasy feeling listening to that.

Ugh. Just... ugh. Or check out Pop Icon Puppets, which is totally not Starfuckers Inc. Even the loving lyrics are very near there :ughh:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

So And One's Tanzomat came out last Friday and...

...it's pretty boring, really. Save the Hate is a completely forgettable opener (like, why-is-this-on-the-album-boring), Shining Star's a tried-and-true, safe And One track with absolutely nothing interesting going on. What a fantastic way to start off your new record, guys :thumbsup: Thankfully it gets a bit better with the alright slower track Only Your Dreams and Dancing in the Factory, which is just a ton of fun and definitely a standout. Angel Eyes - yay, another mediocre ballad. Seven is alright, nothing remarkable. Then up comes The Aim Is In Your Head Now and blows the rest of the record out of the water. poo poo, what a track, this is the poo poo I came here for. Electrocution owns a shitload as well, but Sex Drive, although definitely a solid track, pales in comparison to the last couple of masterpieces. The last part of the album is some random boring poo poo for two tracks until And I Love saves the album from absolute mediocrity with some goosebump-inducing stuff it has going on.

I thought it'd be easy for Naghavi to make a better record than the mediocre Bodypop, especially after seeing how good the new stuff on Bodypop 1 1/2 was, but ugh. I seriously love the gently caress out of And One, but Tanzomat just isn't very good. It better get better with subsequent spins in the stereo system :mad: But seriously, why in the poo poo is Save the Hate on this album? It's probably the worst song ever by this band, it's just bland as hell.

The live CD included in the deluxe edition is pretty drat good, though, especially Tanz der Arroganz.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 8, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Furret Basket posted:

I've never understood how And One got any love from anyone, every single one of their records has been mind numbingly boring for me. Save for Panzer Mensch, obviously.

Well, for me, And One is a bright spot of sense of humor in a scene that often takes itself way too seriously, basically. They do have some great stuff besides their funnier bits, too, but I don't blame you if you don't find their albums interesting. They're usually extremely uneven, with lots of boring filler with some absolute masterpieces in between.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

^^^^^^ drat, I had several of those tracks in mind when I was making my post but forgot them, thanks for posting them dude :)

Today is the day. Today I will finally get to see The Best Band/Thing Ever (tm), Laibach. After seven years of listening to this... entity. This bizarre force. One of the few art groups in the history of the world that can safely say they actually have something to say, and one that the world should listen to.

The last time an actual Laibach "rock" concert was here in Finland was in 2006 or 2007, when I was still barely underage and they didn't let me into the venue. In 2009 I did attend the Kunst der Fuge installation, which, although brilliant, wasn't the real deal.

Today. In about nine hours. Seven years. That's a third of my entire life I've spent constantly listening to Laibach, reading every single bit of information about them and raving endlessly to my friends about them. This will definitely be a concert I'll be attending 100% sober.

Starting my day off with WAT, which was the very first Laibach album I got my filthy hands on :hellyeah:

e: Holy poo poo Hell: Symmetry still gives me the biggest loving chills ever, especially this whole part:

Welcome to the industry
of seven deadly sins
Walk into the universe
of the Laibach Kunst machine
It'll take your soul, possess your mind
score deadly channels in your heart
But you will kneel down unashamed
when evil takes you by the hand

e2: Haarrrgghhh I haven't listened to WAT in such a long time and I've forgotten how much brilliant poo poo is in here. gently caress the "This is the Black Cross, and this is the Black Circle" part in The Great Divide, I'm jizzing all over myself here.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 9, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Radio Paranoia posted:

Now you've got be on a jealousy-induced Laibach kick. I hope you're happy. :colbert:

I am. Everyone should listen to Laibach a shitload.

Also Volk is still the best record in the history of music for me. This whole drat album is just so loving astonishing in every single way, that even the weakest links make the album stronger as a whole. And Germania is pretty much the ultimate opener of any record, ever, especially if you know and understand where Laibach is coming from. The amount of thought and care put into everything here is just mindboggling.

aaand holy poo poo America just started and is giving me the chills again

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm sorry to spam this thread all the drat time but loving Laibach. So good. If you're interested in what they played last night, here's the Setlist.fm page for the concert. The new versions of the old tracks were fantastic, especially Mi kujemo bodocnost, which was the first song I've ever actually felt genuinely threatened by live. That track was just so loving evil live that I was literally going :stare: for the whole song. Drzava was a bit of a letdown, the song didn't really resemble the original at all and was transformed into a weird happy techno dance song. That was probably the whole idea, but I wasn't really feeling it.

The crowd (surprisingly big, wasn't expecting a turnout of like over 200 people) obviously wasn't all that familiar with Laibach's earlier works, but took them enthusiastically enough and started moving around a bit more when Tanz mit Laibach and the rest of the set started. Hell: Symmetry was definitely a high point of the WAT + Alle Gegen Alle part, but the ultimate best section of the set were the first encores (America, Anglia and Francia). Francia was just perfect. The only things I didn't like about the concert were the people attending it. I love dancing and poo poo but there's a time and place for retarded spastic hippy dancing, and that time and place isn't Nova loving Akropola. Thanks for the rock hard smelly dreads in my face, stupid dude who felt that he absolutely had to push his way through the whole crowd right into front of me and start dancing at the weirdest times, I guess.

Anyway, I can't say those seven years of waiting didn't pay off :allears:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 10, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

molotoveverything posted:

Speaking of And One, has anyone listened to their newest album, Tanzomat, yet? I gave it a brief listen on youtube and it pretty much sounded like old-school EBM, take what you will from this, but personally I wasn't exactly impressed. Maybe I need to give it a more fair listen though.

It's not even an old-school EBM album like Naghavi originally said it would be. It's a through-and-through milquetoast synthpopAnd One album with some EBM elements thrown in, really probably the weakest album the band has released this far. And I liked Bodypop quite a bit (even though I said it was mediocre in my earlier post)! Here's what I posted about the album earlier in this thread, my opinions haven't really changed:

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

So And One's Tanzomat came out last Friday and...

...it's pretty boring, really. Save the Hate is a completely forgettable opener (like, why-is-this-on-the-album-boring), Shining Star's a tried-and-true, safe And One track with absolutely nothing interesting going on. What a fantastic way to start off your new record, guys :thumbsup: Thankfully it gets a bit better with the alright slower track Only Your Dreams and Dancing in the Factory, which is just a ton of fun and definitely a standout. Angel Eyes - yay, another mediocre ballad. Seven is alright, nothing remarkable. Then up comes The Aim Is In Your Head Now and blows the rest of the record out of the water. poo poo, what a track, this is the poo poo I came here for. Electrocution owns a shitload as well, but Sex Drive, although definitely a solid track, pales in comparison to the last couple of masterpieces. The last part of the album is some random boring poo poo for two tracks until And I Love saves the album from absolute mediocrity with some goosebump-inducing stuff it has going on.

I thought it'd be easy for Naghavi to make a better record than the mediocre Bodypop, especially after seeing how good the new stuff on Bodypop 1 1/2 was, but ugh. I seriously love the gently caress out of And One, but Tanzomat just isn't very good. It better get better with subsequent spins in the stereo system :mad: But seriously, why in the poo poo is Save the Hate on this album? It's probably the worst song ever by this band, it's just bland as hell.

The live CD included in the deluxe edition is pretty drat good, though, especially Tanz der Arroganz.

Anyway I think we need to count ourselves lucky that he didn't end up making a pure EBM album. That thing probably would've been even more boring than whatever we got this time around.

VVVV Well, Dancing in the Factory is pretty good at least energy-wise. I mostly agree with you, but I'm pretty sure the name Tanzomat is supposed to be a joke.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 23, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder man your face is gonna melt when your copy of First Anthology finally arrives. This thing is loving sleek. I hear the shirt is pretty boss as well. e: Yes I eventually caved in and bought the limited edition. It's hella cool but don't expect to fit it in your CD rack.

I didn't have the chance to listen to this properly before I had to get to work, but it appears the remasters are as good as they get and the new track Burning is pretty decent too, but not anything mindblowing. The real stars are the restored, new versions of old tracks, though, I mean even Timekiller, which I'm pretty sure every Pitchfork fan has coming out of their ears, is interesting again. The new Terra Incognita is amazing as well.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 29, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Augh! My copy is still 1-2 weeks away apparently. If I'm lucky, perhaps I can pick it up at Legends of Synthpop + Assemblage 23 on the 6th (where my dealer has kiosk).

Yeah, the thing looks really cool and the content is very, very good, but I'm not sure if I would've paid as much as you did if it was my only option. It's definitely a really nice packaging, like one of the absolute best-looking and feeling pieces I've ever seen, it's got fantastic remasters and absolutely stellar reworkings, but I felt the 40 € I paid for it was just about barely justified. I hope you won't be disappointed :ohdear:

In other news Gothminister's new album Anima Inferna is pretty drat solid, as always. The quality of material gets more forgettable around the middle part of the (short but sweet) record, but especially the opening four tracks are incredible. I'd advise checking out the standout track Juggernaut if you're into the more metal side of industrial.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 31, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Zaiquiri posted:

I figure the people in this thread would thoroughly enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti1D9t8n0qA

holy poo poo this is a masterpiece

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

It sounds amazing; it gives me goosebumps. It's better than I hoped for, though I guess my expectations for remasters have been set pretty low. It's even better than Seabound's No Sleep Demon vs. v2.0. The reworkings are faithful but sound fantastic. This is the most exciting release I've heard in ages from any music.

I'm not THAT familiar with Pitchfork's earlier catalogue, but I somehow never noticed how similar to Skinny Puppy that stuff is. I think it's the brighter, punchier drums that are doing it.

I actually really liked Burning. It sounds like the era of the band I really love.

I'm pleased that the version of I Live Your Dream included here is what I guess is the single version. It's different from what's on Eon:Eon, but it's similar to what all the videos on YouTube have, i.e.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJi9Te6xNY

Yeah man, Burning has grown on me a lot after several listens. It's a very strong track, but it's still not, say, single material or anything. Also I've started to notice all kinds of interesting stuff in the remasters that I didn't notice in the original versions, I love it! Especially Bodies, which was already a good track, sounds a thousand times better than it ever did, IMO definitely one of the highlights.

However, I can't see where you're coming with the comparison to Skinny Puppy, I think they're just completely different bands, even in PP's early times v:shobon:v I think it's the very different feeling in the music that does it for me, even though some things are similar soundwise. SP is intensely bleak and depressing, whereas PP often has a glimmer of hope in its music, I'd say. Or something.

gently caress I love this band

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 14, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I think Rammstein fits in fine in this thread, where else would you discuss bands like them, Eisbrecher, Gothminister etc.? Those bands are definitely a part of the industrial scene, which shows in festival lineups (well, in Europe at least) and poo poo as well.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rammstein was basically my introduction to the whole industrial/gothic thing, and NDH has remained a pretty big thing for me. OOMPH! (in all its eras!) is probably my favorite band right next to Pitchfork and Laibach at the moment, and I'm loving excited like a motherfucker that they're finally making a new album. Monster was really loving good and everything they've said about the direction this time around makes ithe upcoming album sound even more promising.

Also the best day of my life: Zita Rock 2009, Pitchfork and OOMPH! right after the other. loving heaven :swoon:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 16, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Furret Basket posted:

Do Unheilig count as fitting into the same place as Rammstein? I really like them. Can't say I like Rammstein much at all anymore, I used to think they were the bees knees at school but I can only assume I grew out of them or something. Same story with most guitar based music these days. I'll be honest, guitars usually bore me unless they're being used purely as backing or the band are particularly interesting. (I still listen to System Of A Down for instance.)

Most definitely. Nasty tongues could say Unheilig is schlager-Rammstein for a mainstream audience, what with the tame lyrical themes and radio-friendly melodies, but I like them a whole lot as well. Are you aware what a ginormous loving thing they became with their album Grosse Freiheit last year? A relatively unknown NDH band releases an album that makes the loving record for the longest-standing #1 domestic record in Germany, ever. Insane! And of course, a lot of "fans" are accusing Der Graf of selling out, but personally my biggest problem with Unheilig is that it's always the exact same stuff. Grosse Freiheit is an incredibly solid album, definitely one of the best of 2010 for me, but it's practically the same album as ever. In any case, Unheilig has always had the potential for huge success and in my opinion Der Graf has definitely earned it. I actually saw UH live on ~the best day of my life~ at Zita Rock in 2009, they were the main act. Really good show, as I'd expected, but paled in comparison to OOMPH! and especially Pitchfork.

Also, what happened to you and Rammstein happened to me as well. I was madly into them when I first found them and listened to them a shitton, but then I started finding more and more industrial/electro music and I realized that they're not that special after all and that there's definitely a lot more bands out there. I still like them, occasionally spin one of their albums in the stereos and will definitely buy whatever new albums they'll release, but I certainly don't listen to them every day like I used to when I was 13 - 15 years old. I also gotta give them huge amounts of respect for the job they've done for German music and the industrial scene altogether. Without them I would never have found all this other awesome poo poo I listen to nowadays or be as interested in the German language as I am (I'm actually dreaming of becoming a German teacher in the future, thanks, Rammstein).

Kind of interesting to note is that Project Pitchfork were the ones to pull them out of obscurity. The story goes that back in 1994 or 1995 Spilles saw them live or something and immediately thought that here's something that'll be big one day, and took them as support for their Alpha Omega tour. The rest is history.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 15, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Furret Basket posted:

Haha, no I had no idea. I haven't actually listened to that album yet either. Maybe I'll give it a go.

Dude you should. It's 100% solid Unheilig stuff, this time with a traveling/seafaring theme.

But yeah, they really cleaned the tables in Germany last year. In addition to the insane record-setting hit album itself (the drat thing stayed number one for eighteen weeks) they released four top-20 singles (#1, #4, #13, #17), won the Bundesvision Songcontest and were nominated for a total of five Echo Awards, of which they won three (Album of the Year, Best Rock/Alt Act, Most Successful Production Team). Ridiculous.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Compared to many an underground scene the industrial/gothic scene is huge. We're not that special, you know.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Zaiquiri posted:

Unheilig has, since 2. Gebot, gone from being a pretty decent goth industrial act into albums composed entirely of generic goth power ballads.

Well Der Graf definitely can write those, so why not.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

This just in: Turmion Kätilöt (and a bunch of other Finnish bands that are vastly inferior) are playing their first ever concert abroads at the K17 club in Berlin on September 17th!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I saw FLA live at Amphi Festival last year, I thought they were pretty drat fine. Leeb seemed a bit tired for the first couple of songs or so, but started gaining more energy after that. The new IED material worked fantastic live.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Anyone ever get that feeling of frustration with music where suddenly you find yourself thinking that everything is completely inane, redundant loving poo poo apart from that band? I've noticed myself thinking that a whole lot of more often than before since I was introduced to Project Pitchfork. gently caress you, Peter Spilles, for ruining music for me.

Now playing Project Pitchfork - If I Could

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Furret Basket posted:

And it all comes full circle back to FLA. (Whomever mastered Artificial Soldier needs to be shot.)

Apparently a gentleman called Brian Gardner, who's mastered about a trillion billion albums in his time. Funny, you'd think a guy who's been mastering for like fifty loving years would know his poo poo? Or maybe it was what FLA wanted?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

There's gotta be something funny going on since he's mastered, for example, plenty of KMFDM albums which sound fine to me.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

A really interesting interview with Ogre. They cover a lot of stuff, including Undeveloped, the upcoming Puppy album (it's 100% finished and just needs to be put out), horror movies, Ogre's interest in acting, living as an artist...

Been on a big SP and FLA kick lately. I'm afraid that the second I get paid and get my university entrance exams out of the way I'm gonna have to spend a loving terrifying amount of money on CDs.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 30, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Got Civilization by FLA in the post today and listened to it on the way to work.

Welp. You win, Leeb. That must've been one of the best albums I've ever heard, at least on the first listen. Holy poo poo, I can't wait to get back home to listen to this motherfucker again.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Might as well post this here since I already uploaded it for my friend to check out:

This is a quick thing I made in Rytmik on my Nintendo DS at 3 AM last night. It's pretty much just a fistful of sounds and ideas I fiddled around with yesterday, but please say something about it, especially if it's negative :) This is the first time I'm trying to make this kind of stuff on this particular software, so personally I was pretty pleased with the sounds I managed to get out of it, especially since the program is mostly geared towards the various subgenres of electronic dance music.

Now, I'm pretty much a horrible novice when it comes to making music at this point (I've never even tried to properly learn how to play a guitar outside of school, although I do know something about keyboards) but I've always wanted to express myself and I have a multitude of ~ideas~. Said ideas involve a lot of industrial-ish and noise-ish soundscapes that I'm kind of hoping I'll get around to making into at least some kind of tracks in the summer when I finally have more free time. My brother and I also have a kind of a noise project we sometimes fiddle around with for fun, and it's growing more and more certain that we're gonna play a short gig in the summer. Gonna be my first public musical performance ever, and although it won't be until July and there's likely gonna be like 20 people attending, I'm already starting to feel nervous about it... :ohdear:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 1, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

This album is loving amazing, it's past 2 AM and I just listened through it the third time in a row. gently caress. Every other FLA album I have (Caustic, Millennium, IED) is loving lame compared to this even when just a couple of days ago I thought they were pretty cool. Please tell me they have at least some other FLA albums more like this. I've got Tactical Neural Implant coming in the mail but now I'm afraid I won't care about it after listening to Civilization.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

spider_ross.avi posted:

This sounds like something that should be in the old Doom videogames.

I think this must be the biggest and best compliment I've ever gotten for anything in my life. I'm serious.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Quirk posted:

It fits Underhalls well I like the trudging it gives off.

I'm trying to have a demo done like yesterday and have had to remake all my recent stuff from scratch, does this sound pretty good quality production wise for a demo?

http://tindeck.com/listen/tjgp
http://tindeck.com/listen/cjeo

You had to redo them again? Didn't you already have to do it twice before this or something :psyduck:

But yeah, these sound fantastic to me, studio quality stuff.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Yesterday I got an email from the shop where I ordered TNI from and they told me it's long out of print :smith: So that's why it's not available anywhere. I was wondering why such an important album was so difficult to track down.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

EDGECRUSHER posted:

I saw FLA at the Nile in Mesa, AZ last night. First time I ever saw them live.

Before, and especially after the show, everyone was absolutely 100% friendly. During the sound check, I talked with so many people that I honestly didn't know who they were. I just figured they worked either for the venue or were helping out. These were guys setting up, doing their thing, and just turning to you and engaging in conversation. Then, act after act, I see the same guys up on the stage: the guys from Hardwire, Cyanotic, and I think it was Jason? of DJ? Acucrack. FLA's drummer (I think his name was Josh?) was a great guy to meet, too.

When I finally got my time to meet Bill Leeb, I could tell he was tired-and I even made mention that I was honored enough to have finally seen them live, and just wanted to thank him for his music and let him get to his hotel. Almost 30 minutes later, he's signed my Total Terror CD case, my VIP badge thingy, taken a shitton of pictures with me, and talked about everything from touring in the down economy in the States, to Einstürzende Neubauten (my EN tat gave me away!), to what would hurt more: stung by a scorpion or bit by a snake (snakebite, hands down).

FLA will continue to be my favorite band, and the first CD/MP3 I play in every car I own.

Bill Leeb is one cool motherfucker.

(The last song of the night was Bio-Mechanic. I don't know how it could have been any better except not play in Mesa ever again because of their stupid noise curfew :argh: )

Goddamn. That rules. I really hope they'll play a show here in Finland at some point, I don't think they've ever been here. At the moment FLA is dangerously close to becoming one of my favorite bands, and if they don't come here, I'm gonna have one more band I'll have to travel for on my list. If the mountain won't come to Muhammed...

Anyway, I asked the record shop to send me Implode in place of TNI, listening to this now. I'm digging it a lot, but I don't think any FLA album will ever be as mindfuckingly amazing to me as Civilization. I've listened to that loving CD at least once every day since I've had it :negative:

e: Prophecy is loving great

e2: Definitely liking the brooding mid-album stuff more than the beginning of the album.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 9, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

So would you guys say Delerium is worth looking into? Where should I start? I don't think I've ever heard anything from that project.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Furret Basket posted:

I personally adore really early Delerium like Faces, Forms and Illusions and Morphues. It starts out really dark and ambient, all of being gorgeous soundscapes. In later years it goes really poppy which is really not my thing at all.

I say start at the beginning.

Speaking of FLA, they just announced their European tour dates. No UK date. :wtc: Slovakia but no UK? :wtc:

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Also European dates :woop: No Finnish date, but Stockholm's such a short trip away that I think I'm gonna have to finally visit our beloved neighbours...

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Apparently Stefan Ackermann of Das Ich is seriously sick and hospitalized, and they don't know if he'll be able to recover fully. That guy's never had it easy :smith: