Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Look he was just trying to supplement his rock ’n roll lifestyle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

TesseractMinotaur posted:

Wow, the new KMFDM album is embarrassing.

A tale as old as time

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Future Days posted:

New Laibach sounds really great. Love the drums on this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8imjLXxlwYA

Yeah it's loving fantastic. I thought Zarathustra was already a step into the old school 80's direction, ESPECIALLY live (their best live show I've seen), but this goes full-on into that stuff, except this time with 40+ years of musicianship shaping the sound. It sounds amazing.

Hoping they'll have the album available at their merch stand on their upcoming tour - as it happens I'll see them twice, as I'm visiting family in Helsinki when they're in town and then I'll come back to Berlin just in time to see them again.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Saw the Front 242/Nitzer Ebb show in Berlin. Liebknecht was bang on as an opener. 242 (still) whips rear end live while Nitzer Ebb kinda sucks, NE have zero business going on after 242. They do play a shorter set at least apparently. I left 9 or 10 songs in because they were so boring

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 10, 2023

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I haven’t seen em live but I know Assemblage 23’s setup includes or has included a live drummer, possibly depending on what part of the world they’d be performing

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Absolutely, both put on fantastic shows

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Kamrat posted:

I also liked the finnish song cha cha cha as well... until around the 2 minute mark, when the artist purposefully ruins the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znWi3zN8Ucg

It slams exactly the way it is actually. Also the point of the lyrics

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’m in Leipzig for WGT and ten minutes after I’d arrived in the city I’d already seen the most ridiculously gaudy goth outfit ever. It could be described as ”bat, but everything in the outfit is made of bats”

Anyway Assemblage 23 tonight maybe something else too

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I stood like 90 minutes in line to see Assemblage 23. When I was like 5 meters from the entrance the line didn’t move an inch for fifteen minutes, and then the set was pretty much over. Gave my spot to a friend who wanted to see Suicide Commando and hosed off to do something else because I have absolutely zero interest in seeing Suicide Commando

This was a great idea actually as I then wandered into Moritzbastei and had a great time checking out Gewalt and Versus Goliath. Never heard of them, will definitely be listening to them a bunch now.

Probably gonna have better luck tomorrow as I’m going to Covenant + 242 at the big main venue of WGT where getting in is never a problem. Also some medieval village bullshit before that I think

Bye

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Quick reviews of everything I saw at WGT, in chronological order

Gewalt - knew nothing about them, owned, INSANE sound live, excellent noise rock stuff if that’s your thing. Check out their live album for a good overview of their sound I suppose

Versus Goliath - knew nothing sbout them, excellent, I’m always down for alt metal like this. It’s kinda like if nu metal grew up and was also good, that’s how I’ll describe the sound

Hocico - saw them a few weeks ago and didn’t intend to see them now but the lines hosed me up again. I’m p. done with aggrotech as a genre of music to listen to but Hocico gets a pass -they always put in the extra effort and are always excellent live, I have no problem with seeing them wherever they pop up.

Covenant - always a delight live, Daniel Myer was very excited to perform for a hometown audience. Saw Covenant in March and a third of the songs here weren’t played then so that was cool. False Gods was amazing live

Front 242 - also saw 242 a couple of weeks back and also in January! But we don’t know how long these fuckers will do this poo poo for so I had to take the opportunity to see them again. Always an impeccable show with a crowd that immediately started the moshpit. I wish I will be even a fraction as spry as Richard 23 when I’m 60

Tension Control - the guys in this band look exactly like two German guys who would have an EBM band called ”Tension Control” that also sounds exactly like Tension Control. I saw them last year opening for FLA and Die Krupps and this was the exact same thing basically. It’s fine

Rein - fun & excellent, you rarely see Michael Jackson-inspired moves at scene shows, great brooding tracks. However, Rein definitely uses backing vocals to the point where she could totally just lipsync the whole deal. She definitely has a live mic but it’s mixed super low so be wary of that if you intend to see her and that might bother you

Jäger 90 - I was maybe a bit distracted due to having to write text messages and also the sound was pretty muddy. Lethal if you’re a throwback retro EBM act where the bass is of utmost importance. Ok show otherwise? I didn’t like them as much as I’d hoped. I liked them more on record

Leæther Strip - I’ll admit I never really bothered to listen to LS until very very recently. I had the chance to see him at a couple of festivals in years past but never did. Then in 2019 I finally saw him after a lot of people insisted Claus Larsen is an amazing performer. And he IS. I had to catch him again after seeing him a couple of weeks ago. I do not know how this middle-aged potbellied leather daddy can be such a captivating presence on stage. ALONE! My favorite show out of everything at WGT. Just fantastic energy from Uncle Claus and a crowd that was going wild every moment of it. I love Claus Larsen

Cat Rapes Dog - some people told me they’re good live. Could be? I really hated how they sounded and the mix was godawful as well. Not my thing at all. One of the worst band names ever. Left 15 minutes in and went to bed.

Tales of Nebelheym - some kind of steampunk-inspired folk rock. They might be good at what they do and seemed to put on a good show on stage but I loving hate this kind of music a lot

Dragol - cool monotone ”viking” music with a bit of added synth and amazingly brutal-sounding male vocals contrasting with cool female vocals. This is the kind of stuff I’d want to hear at WGT’s medieval village (which is where this was, of course)

Nachtwindheim - medieval music with bagpipes and flutes and drums for medieval markets. Exactly what you’d expect

Manntra - industrial folk metal from Croatia. Cool stuff. Had stuff ranging from more electronic stuff to medieval metal to Rammstein-inspired tracks, including pyro and a flamethrower. I’d see these guys any time even if it isn’t the kind of music I’d bother listening to at home. Also, the frontman is dangerously handsome

Koenix - folk rock, folktronica, what have you. See Tales of Nebelheym, I do not like this stuff

Eisfabrik - I’d seen these guys a bunch of times opening for Project Pitchfork in… oh god, 2015 was eight years ago? I didn’t like them overly much then and this time was the same. It’s perfectly executed futurepop to the point of being boring. Their show has some effort put into it with costumes and lasers and poo poo which is cool. I mean I have nothing against them per se but it’s just kind of whatever. If you love futurepop, you’ll like Eisfabrik probably

Front Line Assembly - saw FLA in August of last year, when Leeb was noticeably phoning it in, probably because they were opening for the infinitely superior live band Die Krupps. This was a much, MUCH better set, everything was programmed super tightly and the set flowed well. No wasted time. Leeb seemed more energetic. Unfortunately, the crowd was quite dead from four days of WGT so didn’t move much. I tried to get a moshpit going but no one was having it :(

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 31, 2023

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’ve said it here before I think and I’ll say it again: You could make a two or three really good albums out of the ten (jesus christ) released after ATTAK.

Why after ATTAK? I think that album still sounds like, well, SOMETHING. All of the albums prior to WWIII have a very distinct sound, enabled by the revolving door cast of the band. XTORT sounds very different compared to Symbols, which sounds totally different than Naive or Nihil, and so on. You wouldn’t find the song Money on ANGST, or Adios on ATTAK etc.

What does WWIII sound like? What does Tohuvabohu sound like? What does Our Time Will Come sound like? Any single one of WTF?!’s songs could be on KUNST and no one would he able to tell the difference. You could switch half of BLITZ with stuff on Hau Ruck and it would be basically the same experience. It’s all just a homogenous mass of ”KMFDM sound” and it’s incredibly interchangeable.

I guess they tried a little with HYENA but that album just seem to suck a lot, so :shrug: I haven’t bothered to listen to it in full because it sounds like a waste of time

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 4, 2023

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Important note: as far as I understood, the band can’t fire the woman (Alena Makeeva) because she is in fact not employed by Rammstein, but Till Lindemann and/or his management, which is entirely separate from Rammstein’s management. All the band itself can really do (to her) is ban her from the shows, which is what they did.

The band and Lindemann’s responses to the situation have been pathetic nothingburgers. Of note is that no one has denied anything apart from the actual drugging part.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Iunno. It felt like very much tongue-in-cheek, but I guess you write what you know. See: Louis CK.

It seems to me that Lindemann jumped off the deep end and really focused on becoming an sex-obsessed old creep in the last 5-10 years.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Tägtgren’s manager posted something about 100% believing everything and giving Shelby Lynn their full support

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rammstein was my stepping stone into the scene, yep.

I wrote my master’s thesis on Rammstein lyrics. Never listened to them that much after that (mostly just the new albums), honestly - not because of the content of the lyrics, but boy did writing that thesis burn me out.

When the stupid loving school year here in Berlin is over and my job here is done, my mom is coming here as my final guest before I go back to Finland. Of course, we are going to see Rammstein. Not feeling great about it. My mother has seen the headlines but I’m not sure what she thinks really. Guess we’ll see the show for what it is and consider everything later.

I’ve seen Rammstein five times and always with my mom. I hate that this fun thing we have done together for almost 20 years is now soiled by something so disgusting.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 11, 2023

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

A great point someone elsewhere brought up:

Rammstein is a multimillion-dollar business that employs literally hundreds of people (if stage crew etc. is included). How on Earth is it possible that at no point someone with understanding of business went ”actually, even regardless of the poo poo that goes on at these parties, all this row 0 stuff could be a massive liability and a huge problem for a ton of people if anything goes wrong and y’all should stop doing it ASAP”?

I mean, maybe someone did, but clearly not someone with enough sway for anything to happen. Mind-boggling

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Joe Letz is also the drummer for Aesthetic Perfection. He’s the reason Aesthetic Perfection is supposed to be supporting Lindemann on his solo tour. Wonder if that one’s actually happening.

The moment I saw that Joe Letz was involved, I believed everything. The company one keeps tells a whole lot about a person

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rammstein is way past just being ”industrial” news. Dunno about what it’s like on the other side of the Atlantic, and maybe it has to do with Rammstein being like the most popular band in Finland but it’s been front-page stuff in the actual Finnish news ever since the thing broke, and of course here in Germany too, at least. Rammstein is insanely successful and well-known and one of the top touring acts in the entire world

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Seeing Eisbrecher today, finally, it’s been what, 8 years since the last time

Just a reminder that Eisbrecher has released at least two songs that are better than anything Rammstein has ever done

Was ist hier los?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGthmYzpGv0

Where Eisbrecher shows exactly where they stand in a genre full of wink-wink-nudge-nudgers

FAKK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNXMs_y7n9c
For my money, one of the best NDH songs of all time, plus Wesselsky gets to throw in a ton of slang. FAKK!!!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

As a wise man/bot once said, defining industrial is not a productive area of discussion

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Bayham Badger posted:

industrial is whatever makes people mad if you call it industrial

Honestly probably the best definition of industrial I’ve ever seen

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

thotsky posted:

Disagree, Millennium is a great album. Their second best after TNA.

I used to like Millennium a lot but have kind of grown tired of it. In the end I seem to have drifted over to liking the more chill and electronic FLA albums the most - Civilization is my number one FLA album, followed by TNI, AirMech, Echogenetic…

FLA is a weird favorite band for me in that while I consider them one of my absolute favorites, they sure have a lot of albums I just do not care about at all or actively dislike. The first couple (Caustic Grip is where FLA starts for me), IED, Artificial Soldier, Epitaph, Wake Up The Coma…

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Man, I'm probably going to be run out of the thread, but Implode is the best FLA album.

Implode has Prophecy, which is the best FLA track, so it’s got that going for it. Solid record otherwise for me

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I find it really weird that the lists focussing on industrial rock/metal (or your term of choice that includes glowing commentary about Rammstein, Fear Factory etc) consistently either don't include Die Krupps or if they do then it's the very early stuff before they brought in guitars.

Die Krupps' guitary albums absolutely gently caress tho, they got some MTV rotation back in the day with To The Hilt so it's not like people whose entire knowledge is based on music videos from the 90s aren't going to know about them. If you're writing a list that's evidently aimed at/written by people into the more guitary end of things, then they'd seem like an obvious one to put in.

Yeah, including Stahlwerksymphonie instead of any of the stuff people actually know and like and had influence on other bands is really weird. They also never acknowledge bands like OOMPH! and Megaherz who were very influential in the NDH scene before Rammstein was even formed

It’s like there’s a master list of ”most obvious industrial acts/albums/songs” somewhere that these people just put in a random order for these lists

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jehde posted:

And I love to see appreciation for Megaherz and OOMPH! The latter being my preferred NDH band being a hipster. I forget if we posted their Dero-less new single yet, which is surprisingly alright.

OOMPH! was my top 3 favorite band alongside Kraftwerk and Laibach for a really long time!

I’m a big big fan of this track and I’m really hyped for the new album. The last few OOMPH! albums with Dero were just missing something, and this is by far their best single in like 10 years, so I’m very hopeful.

I didn’t anticipate the new singer being Der Schulz but the moment he was announced, I went ”of loving course”. He’s the OBVIOUS best option for the role, like they said themselves. Excellent singer with tons of charisma

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jehde posted:

This second single from OOMPH! is underwhelming compared to the previous. Pretty bad honestly. I'll reserve most judgement until they release whatever album they're working up to.

Completely disagree, I’ve been totally unable to get it out of my head. It’s got dirt and menace and they finally got the melodic choruses right after not being able to write one to save their lives for over a decade. Best OOMPH! track in over ten years, maybe more

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jehde posted:

Meanwhile Megaherz seems to be putting something out where the title single sounds pretty okay all things considered. I didn't need a Rammstein comeback to revive other NDH acts, but I'm here for it.

Maybe we’re just opposite people. The new MHZ album does absolutely nothing they haven’t already done a hundred times with Lexx as vocalist, and the second single Engelsgesicht ist like a career worst track.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

thotsky posted:

Is there a Rammstein comeback going on or something? I had like three Rammstein covers in my release radar last week.

There’s a new Cleopatra Tribute to Rammstein comp coming out soon with covers by Laibach, Priest, FLA and others, that’s what you’ve been seeing

Godawful timing but they’ve probably had everything in the can and scheduled for release for months

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The new OOMPH! album is really quite disappointing, unfortunately. After several listen-throughs it does not live up to the promise of its singles and I… kind of don’t get it

All three singles reach out to previous eras in OOMPH!’s considerably long history and update the sound with new production and of course the new singer. Wem die Stunde schlägt is like a GlaubeLiebeTod/Wahrheit oder Pflicht-era cut. Richter und Henker reaches out to their (in my opinion) best material in the Unrein/Plastik era with more melodic sensibilities. Nur ein Mensch has their most Defekt-like riff since, hell, Defekt, but marries it with modern production and the kind of vocals that Dero wouldn’t have done. They’re all really great stuff and I would love nothing more than for the album to sound more like ANY of them.

However, then the album falls into a completely unexplainable pit of nothingness for the rest of the album that I was afraid it might when I heard the completely unremarkable third track. Tracks 3 and 5-10 offer NOTHING in terms of good riffs, memorable hooks, cool production or catchy choruses, it’s all mediocre rockers with ho-hum ballady choruses, exactly like the previous albums with Dero. Es ist nichts, wie es scheint comes almost close to being almost interesting simply because at least it has some points with a bit of aggression to them. Wo die Angst gewinnt is, like, HEINOUSLY generic and could have been done by a any number of bands in existence. It sucks hard. This is the exact same trap that the last few albums fell into. It’s like these fuckers forgot how to write good songs after Des Wahnsinns fette Beute, and while Dero might have contributed, it certainly wasn’t only him who was dragging the albums down.

At the very end the album climbs back out of the absolute loving doldrums with Wut, which is a bizarrely wonky, almost unfinished-sounding track with a Joachim Witt feat that barely exists, but it all somehow works and seems like it might be stuck in my brain the most. And the closer Ein kleines bisschen Glück show that they can write a gorgeous, subtly produced midtempo track, and it’s really great.

I really don’t get how these guys have managed to write such a disappointing album AGAIN. Do they not notice that half of the album is just pretty loving shite compared to the singles? They must have, since the singles they put out are so far above most of the album, aside from the very end. They really should’ve left half of this album in the drawer and put out a killer EP. And none of it is Der Schulz’s fault as the new singer, it seems, unless he wrote all the poo poo tracks on the album

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 10, 2023

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

What if she likes current-day Ministry and you have to reconsider your life, probably

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sounds like you imagined a crayfish

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

I missed brand new Gothsicles three weeks ago!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuB1sgC8XiM

It's a cool change in style.

It’s not Gothsicles, probably why it sounds different

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Fear Factory was super boring while their support acts killed it when I saw em a few months ago. I’m sure your mileage will vary depending on your enjoyment of FF in general, I’ve never really listened to them but wanted to tick that box anyway

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I need to listen to it a couple of times to have more detailed thoughts but after one listen-through I like it and I’m glad it’s finally out. Spilles almost died between the last album and this one.

Opener and Unity are pretty forgettable. Love Der Tanz’s almost Kraftwerkian sounds (those choruses needed to be like three times as loud, though!). Melancholia is gorgeous. Summer Walk is an instant Pitchfork classic and I listened to it six times in a row. Transformation also stood out on first listen. Love the fact that Spilles is so firmly back in his nature thematic, also love the copious German lyrics.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Interview in the most recent Orkus. Spilles’s feet and legs had been feeling numb despite movement and during stage performances. His doctor never looked into it further for two years. He was basically moments away from a very serious artery blockade but he got it operated on and has a prosthetic aorta now. Apparently feeling great now.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’ve never even Very Seriously listened to 242 but they absolutely whip rear end live and I can only wish that I’m a quarter as energetic as Richard23 when I’m 60

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Please wear ear protection and if possible, always carry it with you. I have mine on my keychain.

You only have one set of ears and people have literally been driven to madness by tinnitus

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It’s a slammin interview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Kaddish posted:

Hey that’s decent. If Leeb wrote those lyrics they’re better than usual.

He didn’t, it’s Alex.

This is easily the only one of the vocal remixes I’ve actually liked. Seeming is cool & good