Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Foetus' Nail is the greatest album of all time.
Due to Mr Thirwell's, how shall we say, 'unassuming' vocal talents it's certainly the most fun to sign along to.

Apparently he released another album in 2013 when I wasn't paying attention. I feel like Flow and newer have been a little samey... There's at least one long, slow song like Kriebabe on each one that sound drat near interchangeable. Is Soak any different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Dunno, neither of Hole or Thaw grabbed me near as much as Nail so I stopped.
Well I bought it anyway of course :cheeky: I haven't listened to his last three albums in a while, but I might like this one more. It feels like it recaptures some of the fun of his earlier work.

I agree that Hole is not near the album that Nail is, but Lust for Death might be his best song from that era. Satan Place is ridiculously catchy too.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Yeah. Makes me think if you really want to have an animated music video, have it done in 2D. Would be less likely to look hilariously dated the second it's released, I'd say.

Or have a very strong art direction that doesn't depend on looking as realistic as possible in your 3D vid?
KMFDM - Son of a Gun does the strong art direction thing and it still holds up OK.

Rotoscoping is also pretty "timeless" :)

david_a fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 13, 2014

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It could be that after a certain dose of their albums, no matter where you start, you reach your maximum lifetime limit of KMFDM and lose interest in them. I think I hit my limit with ADIOS.

I agree with sethsez that NIHIL is by far the best album. I don't know if it's Raymond's influence or what, but it's not nearly as sterile sounding as NAIVE or ANGST. XTORT seemed to go back to a bit of a drier sound.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

sethsez posted:

I just think Sascha needs someone with an off-kilter pop sensibility to balance him out. En Esch, Ray and Tim all did a good job of injecting some weirdness into Sascha's standard mode of operation. They were the comics to Sascha's straight man. Without that dynamic everything kind of blends together.
Could be. From reading Wikipedia it seemed like Sascha always did most of the work, though. He claims to have written all the songs on NIHIL. From what I know En Esch and him had fairly dissimilar styles, so maybe the constant arguing helped tone him down :)

From taking a good look at their discography just now I'm actually surprised that the original NAIVE came before MONEY. I had the Hell To Go version and I assumed they had to churn that one out fairly quickly, not four years later. MONEY always sounded a bit... off to me. Probably due to the second half being pure filler after the record label rejected En Esch's contributions. NAIVE is on my mind since I happened to find the original last weekend at a library sale of all places for $1.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I can't figure out if it's worth anything currently since the re-re-release unfortunately used the original cover / name. I'll probably just keep it anyway.

This makes 4 CDs I have with a unique mix of Godlike (both Naives, Money, single). Are there any more official versions?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Does anybody know if the Threshold House online store is completely defunct? The website isn't resolving. I was hoping to snag some sweet Brexit discounts on Coil stuff.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Babby Sathanas posted:

* Hard Wired is the best FLA cd.
* TNI is overrated but still amazing.
* Caustic Grip is worth a cursory listen. Not for everyone but still super formative and incredible.
* FLAvour is fun in places.
* MIillenium is fantastic.
* Implode is consistently great with Infra Red Combat being a highlight, why did you all forget that?
* Epitaph is like an industrial coma.
* Civilization is an incredible CD that was like it was made by a different band, I will happily listen to it forever, also the Vanished single is perfect.
*Artificial Soldier is perfect.
* Improvised Electronic Dissapointment is trash. It's the only pure trash they've ever produced. I would rather listen to the Justify My Love cover that's clearly a Delerium song that got erroneously credited as FLA on a compilation CD for forever and ever than listen to IED again.
* Echogenetic is perfect. FLA figured out the tiny part of dubstep my brain seemed to enjoy before I did.
* I even have quite a heavy fondness for the singles compilation, Monument.

Hi FLA are my favourite band and I probably have a problem.

[Edit]

Ooh I forgot Airmech! It was a sigh of relief after IED but instrumental soundtracks are what they are.
I don't have a great deal to say about Gashed Senses and that whole bit up to Caustic Grip really. Some of it is difficult to listen to...
Huh. I don't get how you can love AS and hate IED because they're almost equally bland in my mind. I think the best song from the two is Hostage and that's on IED, so I guess I like that one better. Downfall is nice too, although nothing super remarkable. I also have to give a shoutout to Uncle Al for showing up and proving that Leeb doesn't write the stupidest possible lyrics. On AS only Social Enemy and Buried Alive stand out to me. Overall through, tracks like Decsention, Dopamine, Angrif, and Laws of Deception are just... blugh, so bland.

AirMech is one of my favorites and honestly I was a bit disappointed that Echogenetic didn't quite live up to it. Still a massive, massive return to form after the slog they were in with AS/IED.

Super hyped about AirMech 2. It was announced quite a while ago but I haven't seen any news about it since.

Apparently there's a new Delerium album coming out so they were probably focusing on that instead. The chances that album will have more than 1-2 interesting songs on it are basically nil :( Was it the last Delerium album or the one before it that Leeb claimed they were bringing back old-school Delerium sounds? (which ended up being a complete, utter, shameless lie of course)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Are The Secret Experiment and Have a Nice Trip actually good? I didn't know those albums existed until the recent news about crowdfunding a new album. I tried to find reviews of them and they seem fairly mixed. I didn't like Crystal Mrear end very much outside of a few songs.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Wumpscut. He had maybe one or two half-decent albums, then it was a quick slide into absolute bullshit.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It would be rad if someone could dig up the fixed track order for Adios. Track order is something I never mess with on my own or even think about that much, but I'm sure it can have a significant impact.

On a similar note, Covenant's Leaving Babylon was apparently released with a draft song order. I'll post the supposedly correct one when I'm not on my phone. I can't remember which forum I got it from; either this one or Mindphaser before it died and was reborn as whatever it currently is (is it an official site now??).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Here is the alternate track order for Covenant - Leaving Babylon before I forget:
1) Leaving Babylon
2) Prime Movers
3) For Our Time
4) They Kingdom Come
5) I Walk Slow
6) Ignorance & Bliss
7) Last Dance
8) Auto (Circulation)
9) Not to Be Here
10) Leaving Babylon II

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

It's not much of an alternate track order since it's the exact same as what was released :shrug:
Not according to Amazon and Metropolis. Was there another release with this order?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Oh, that's actually quite interesting - it looks like there are two different track orders for the European and US releases. The alternative one you posted is the one found in the European versions.
I didn't realize people still bothered doing that. I think the implication from where I got the list from was that Metropolis screwed up and used a draft order, but I don't know how likely that is.

Wasn't Cleopatra the old record label that was notorious for loving up track listings?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I never liked any of the sub-terms for industrial. Has anybody actually used the term "coldwave" unironically?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I thought early Grimes was supposed to be witch house :iiam:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

PinkoBastard posted:

I agree with this, too, even though I think it's a collection of very strong songs the sequencing is pretty bad. This is pretty nerdy but off the top of my head, the album would run this way:

DIY
Today
Sycophant
Full Worm Garden
Witness

That's All
Bereit
R U OK?
Rubicon
Adios

This is a tough album to sequence, though. Witness and Sycophant are particularly tough to place.
From the last page, but I just got around to listening to this and I definitely like it better than the released order :thumbsup:

I feel like That's All should be moved a spot farther down but I'm not sure how I would rearrange it to fix that...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Doubting Thomas is another great Skinny Puppy side project that's not as well known. A lot of the songs really sound like re-worked Puppy songs that never made it in to an album.

Leeb & his cohorts were notorious for that with the insane number of FLA side projects (I think even their side projects had side projects!). Noise Unit's Decoder supposedly started out as the first version of what became Millenium - they scrapped all the songs other than This Faith and started over (which explains why that song sticks out so much).

PS Implode is my second favorite FLA album behind Hard Wired.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Speaking of Millennium, there was a limited edition remastered CD re-release in 2007. Anybody have that? Is it noticeably different from the original CD? I don't think the original mastering was bad in the first place so I wonder if it was really an improvement.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I noticed recently that there's actually some Coil releases available new on Amazon right now, amazingly enough. This is a delightful surprise to anyone used to only seeing a smattering of $35 used CDs. I ended up buying them, which are basically 2.5 versions of the "lost" album Backwards. Backwards was supposed to be the follow up to Love's Secret Domain. It was worked on from 92-96 but never got released because of issues with "little grey men." Material from it showed up in various forms over the years, but it never saw a real release... until now. I'll do some quick reviews of them... backwards (by release date).

Backwards - Well, here it is, 20 years after it was finished. It is not a coincidence that the album was only released after both John Balance and Peter 'Sleazy' Christopherson died. I wasn't sure if this album was actually the real deal, but reading an interview with Danny Hyde, it is. Danny was one of Coil's producers and worked on this album and a few of their others. Apparently Sleazy was hesitant to put it out there because he thought there were still legal issues, and John would have just wanted to rework the whole thing, so unfortunately it only happened after both of them passed on.

The album is a continuation of the LSD style, moving a bit closer to their later "moon musick" style. For a Coil album it is very straightforwardly industrial, if that makes sense. Stand out tracks are Backwards, Fire of the Mind, and Heaven's Blade. With a title like Heaven's Blade the song just seems like it should be awesome and it is - sort of feels like a sequel to Windowpane from LSD.

The New Backwards - this was originally a bonus to the 2007 re-release of The Ape of Naples. Sleazy and Hyde reworked some of the songs off Backwards to mixed results. The standout (and practically the reason to buy the album) is the opener Be Careful What You Wish For. The album ends with an unrelated little loungey tune called Princess Margaret's Man in the D'jalfna, which is pleasant enough, and there's also the original version of Backwards on here. However, the rest of the songs are extended mixes of songs from Backwards which unfortunately come off as a bit tedious to me. What worked fine as a 4-5 minute song on Backwards gets a bit annoying when stretched out to 8. This is my least favorite album of the bunch.

The Ape of Naples - the last "real" Coil release in 2005. Completed by Sleazy and Hyde after the death of Balance, this is a very slow and gloomy album. It features some reworked songs from Backwards as well as LSD and other albums, so in a way it's a career retrospective. The new version of Fire of the Mind works fine for this album, but Heaven's Blade... I dunno, it seems a shame to take a monster of a song and turn it into this thing. I would have left it out entirely. I don't like this album as much as the two Musick to Play in the Dark albums, but it's still pretty good and unmistakably Coil.

Anyway, I would recommend Backwards to anyone in this thread, the rest of them depend on how much of a Coil fan you are.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Damnit, does the Metro release have a different album order again? That was true of Leaving Babylon as well and the Metro order was way worse.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is it somebody at Metro making these changes? Are they allowed to change the track order without the artists involvement?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I picked up Front 242's 1993 duo gently caress UP EVIL/EVIL OFF at a used record store the other day. These albums... aren't very good, are they? I'm trying to place myself in the timeframe they were released in to be fairer:

* The current NIN album was Broken. TDS was next year.
* The current FLA album was TNI. Millennium was also 1994 (I could have sworn it was 93)
* Skinny Puppy's Last Rights came out in 1992
* KMFDM's ANGST came out the same year

Even with grading on a curve, these two albums seem awfully generic. The first one at least sort of sounds like an updated F242 sound, but if you hadn't told me Evil Off was by them I would never have guessed. Not a shock that they kind of fizzled out after that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

mennoknight posted:

I love Up Evil, but I can't remember the last time I listened to evil off. Up Evil is a grower, give it time.
I think you are right. After listening to it a few more times (without immediately following it with Evil Off) some of the tracks stand out more.

Wizchine posted:

Evil Off is one of their best albums, IMO. For context, Front 242 had been getting a bit stale in my opinion. Up Evil changed the feel in a good way, but I think every song was improved by the way they deconstructed them in Evil Off. ("Melt" is the only track I really dug from Up Evil, fwiw.)
... but Evil Off still doesn't do much for me. I can maybe agree that they were starting to get stale, but I can't remember a single track from this album when I'm done listening to it :shrug:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Wizchine posted:

Heh. Different strokes and all that.
Probably depends a lot on your personal history with the band too. I have four of their albums - Front by Front I got probably 19 years ago, but Tyranny <For You> and these other two I got this year. Since I missed the four albums prior to Front by Front their sound hasn't gotten much chance to become stale for me. Maybe Evil Off will grow on me too over time.

Part of it is also that I find it's much harder to give an album a second shot as I get more and more of them. Back in high school, every album I bought was a Big Deal because I had so few of them. I would memorize the track listings and obsessively pour over the CD booklets. All of them would get lots of play even if they didn't initially grab me that much, because there was probably something novel about them compared to the limited experiences I had at that point. I doubt I'll ever have an experience like buying FLA's Implode again. It was the first FLA album I got, and based on Amazon's RealPlayer audio snippets I knew it was going to be both completely awesome and unlike anything else I owned. Nowadays if an album doesn't click much after 1-2 listens it might be years before I give it another try.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Pope Guilty posted:

Music For a Slaughtering Tribe and Bunker Gate 7 are both fantastic albums.
I wouldn't go quite that far, but his discography is basically asymptotic - it starts off promising but rapidly descends to a sustained level of mediocrity. He's got some good songs early on; it's a shame he decided to completely and utterly stagnate.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hedenius posted:

I've always liked The Tear Garden but The Secret Experiment and Have A Nice Trip never did that much for me. They felt a bit too much like jam sessions and I like it more when they are more song focused. And I'm happy to report that their new album, The Brown Acid Caveat, is amazing. Especially Strange Land feels like vintage Tear Garden. Good stuff.
Oooo! Vintage as in Last Man to Fly? That's probably one of my all-time favorite albums.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hedenius posted:

Strange Land specifically feels more like something that could have been on Crystal Mass but there are tracks that would not have been out of place on Last Man to Fly. It's up on Spotify so give it a listen.
I can see (hear?) what you mean about Strange Land, it sounds reminiscent of the first half of Crystal Mass. I feel like I need to give that album some attention again since I have a fairly negative view of it for some reason. Some of those later tracks really soured me on it.

Don't have Spotify so I'll just keep poking around YouTube...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Numan's new record seems to at least have a middle eastern theme to it.

I'm trying to think of examples of industrial with 'world music' influences and I'm not having much luck. Really early KMFDM? Maybe some of the FLA side projects?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Maybe everyone else already knew this, but the little girl in Numan's My Name is Ruin video is his daughter Persia who actually sings on the track. There's a couple of videos of her performing it on-stage as well.

The song has really grown on me. I think the shorter video version is much catchier than the longer album mix that was initially posted. It still does sorta sound like Splinter 2.0 but hey that was a great album so whatever.

david_a fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 21, 2017

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

magiccarpet posted:

new gary numan sounds like the last gary numan :/
Finally got a chance to listen to it properly. I mean, kind of? He's largely using the same synth patch sets or whatever as on Splinter because most of the 'sounds' are the same, but I think it's pretty similar to how Replicas and Telekon use pretty much the same sonic palette but are pretty distinct as albums. I think it's a pretty great album for a 59 year old who's been making music for 39 years! If you liked Splinter, it's pretty likely you'll like Savage too.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

TOOT BOOT posted:

Coil's Time Machines is on iTunes now. That makes like 5-6 albums now. I don't know who's getting paid for any of it, but it's good their music is going to be widely available in some form.
I'm guessing Danny Hyde is behind them.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's weird though, it's almost all stuff from the very beginning of their career and the very end. You'd think people would be hopping to re-release stuff like Musick To Play In The Dark or Black Antlers.
Black Antlers is available on Threshold House along with a few others. There's probably nobody invested in making this stuff available to as many people as possible.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

morally adept posted:

I'm a huge fan of Jim Thirwell, so I figure I should check out Raymond Watts stuff since its in the same vein. Whats the best Pig album to start with?
I would say Praise the Lard, Sinsation, and Wrecked are his peak. Lard is very much a “lock myself in a room and eventually emerge with an album” (like Thirwell) while the other two have some more involvement with a guitarist. Sinsation and Wrecked kind of feel like a more organic, less sterile KMFDM.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

sethsez posted:

A surprising lack of love for The Swining, which is at least as good as PtL, Sinsation and Wrecked and is the transition point between his earlier Thirlwell-inspired material and his later more straightforward industrial rock stuff, which for me makes it his most essential album (it also doesn't hurt that it's got "Find It, gently caress It, Forget It" and "Blades" in their original forms, which I greatly prefer to their Wrecked remixes).
Is it actually available for purchase anywhere?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Anybody know what’s up with AirMech 2? From what I heard Front Line Assembly was done with the soundtrack months ago. I assume they can’t release it before the game or something?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I almost felt compelled to defend Ministry when somebody said they hadn’t done anything good in the last 10 years but then I remembered what year Last Sucker came out and welp.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I didn’t know From Beer to Eternity even existed until I stumbled across Change of Luck on YouTube last year and I looked up where the song came from. Change of Luck is a pretty catchy but I didn’t manage to make it through the entire album.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah Animositisomina takes a little bit to get into but you can say it’s the last “true” Ministry album before Nu-Ministry or whatever you want to call it post-Barker. It keeps the general sonic feel of Filth Pig / Dark Side of the Spoon while being actually good (Dark Side is easily one of the most disappointing albums I own). Filth Pig has a few highlights but mostly sounds like a really mediocre Godflesh album or something.

I actually like the Bush trilogy too; maybe I have a high tolerance for cheesy metal :shrug:

It’s undeniable that Al’s mixing skills got worse as his hearing degraded. Psalm 69 had excellent mixing but by Ani it was significantly degraded. The super-boosted treble is pretty textbook for someone dealing with tinnitus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Stanley Pain posted:

Not sure this belongs here :shobon:

Danheim released a new album.

https://danheim.bandcamp.com

I'd say it falls somewhere between Dark Ambient and Martial Folk. They showed up in my Gplay feed and I've been pleasantly surprised with how good their albums are.
Phone posting so I can’t check this out but I found a band called Heilung a while back that’s also some sort of Viking music thing. The first thing I did was try to figure out if it was in any way connected to white supremacy since those clowns love Viking poo poo, but as far as I can tell it’s safe (some of the YouTube comments seem to be complaints that they should be racist).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRg_8NNPTD8