Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I had never really listened to much by Project Pitchfork, but I just randomly listened to Alpha Omega and really enjoyed it! Which album should I check out next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Thanks for the advice! I had been listening to Skinny Puppy and an old FLA album last night and realized I'd never really given PP a fair shot. I preferred Io to Alpha Omega and ¡Chakra:Red!, but liked the latter too. Io is loving awesome, I'll have to check out Daimonion next and report back.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Then I'd recommend Daimonion for an all-around fantastic album and probably Black to get an idea of what they sound like now.

Daimonion: well-rounded album. I would have to say the style they're coming in to on Daimonion is a bit less to my taste than what they were doing on Io, but definitely a solid effort! The programming is very good and the songs are well written. I think the guitar should be removed or at least be placed lower in the mix on "Timekiller" though. I'll check out Black and Eon:Eon next. Thanks!

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Sounds like you like the rougher ealier sound, and I think Entities, Lam-'bras (the title track is incredible, one of my all-time favorite Pitchfork tracks) or the EP/album-thing Souls/Island should probably be up your alley more than either of those albums. None of the material after Alpha Omega really goes back to that kind of sound anymore, IO is probably the culmination of that particular era of Project Pitchfork.

I still think you should check out one of the newer albums like Black just to get an idea of the current sound, though :)

edit: As a shamefully hardcore Project Pitchfork fanboy it's interesting to see what you think of all these albums :)

PP is a bit less abrasive than most of the electronic stuff I usually go for, so I think you're dead on with this post.

Lam-'bras: the production really necessitates listening to it at a high volume. Title track is excellent, lots of catchy songs that have aged pretty well. I quite liked "Conjure."

Entities: definitely has to be listened to from front to back. I actually really liked Entities, maybe even more so than Lam-'bras.

Black: this one was a big surprise. By the second track I hated it and by the last I thought Black was really strong. Lots of production choices I wouldn't have made, and on some of the really clean sounding songs the vocals can come off as a bit silly, but the songwriting is absolutely on point. Liked "Enchanted Dots of Light," "Rain" and "Acid Ocean," among others.

So far Io is still tops, for me.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
CAT rear end now!!! recommended Cardinal Noire to me. I've listened to the record a few times on Spotify and it's loving great!! Definitely a must for fans of the classic Skinny Puppy material, but it's also its own thing.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Some of y'all might remember I make music as well. I've been working on a new solo EP for nearly two years now (with a separate single track released inbetween), but I finally finished the new EP a couple of weeks ago! There's still plenty of work to do in the mastering etc. department, but I decided to release a single from it in the meantime. I think some of you should get a kick out of it. It's called "Sade" which means "Rain" in Finnish and I think it's pretty pretty pretty good.

https://desertm.bandcamp.com/album/sade

I'm really digging this track! Nice one, man.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

...that Ashbury Heights track has really grown on me.

I think it would make for an awesome track at the few remaining club nights where I live anyway.

Not that I almost ever attend them. I'm a fat nerd that just goes to the live shows (and gets mocked by Ronin).

edit: so uh, The Cure was loving amazing.

Saw The Cure in Montreal last night, completely blew my mind. It was a dream come true

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 16, 2016

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Oh noooooooo FLA and Blutengel are playing at the same time at Amphi and I'll have to choose one or the other :saddowns:

edit: I guess I'll have to go with FLA since I last saw them in 2010. Still, I'm torn

I think you made the right choice overall. I'm curious as to what their set list would look like these days. They probably still play Mindphaser and Overkill, but FLA has a really large catalogue to draw from. I know it's not one of their classics, but I always liked that "Epitaph" record that came out in the early 2000s.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Well, here's a recent one that's pretty much what they've been playing this year

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/front-line-assembly/2016/the-garage-london-england-bf03d0e.html

Five tracks from the latest (excellent) album and then a what I think is a really nice selection of old classics including some surprising ones. That's how they seem to roll nowadays. Looks like they haven't played anything from Epitaph/Civilization/Artificial Soldier since IED came out, which is kind of a bummer because I'd kill to see them play just about anything from Civilization. Still my favorite FLA album.

Civilization is great. Really to me, I'd say my least favourite albums by FLA are Millennium and FLAvour of the Weak. I'd really like to see them some time, looks like they put on a pretty energetic show. I really liked Ethnogenetic, as well.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

mennoknight posted:

Millennium is Leeb's greatest creation. How can anyone dislike Victim of a Criminal?

Been a long time since I heard it, but I remember not being into it at the time. As for Flavour of the Weak I seem to remember the drums turning me off. Maybe I'll give Millennium another listen and see how it goes!

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
So I listened to Millennium again, and I pretty much agree with my earlier assessment. It's better than I remembered, but I just don't think FLA tends to do the heavy guitar thing very well. There are lots of neat synth parts and sequences and whatnot going on, but it's all buried in sampled guitar lines that sound neutered compared to both their source material (the riff from "Walk" sounds particularly toothless here) and in relation to other bands of the same era, particularly Ministry. There are shitloads of guitars everywhere but it just doesn't feel like a particularly "heavy" album to me. We've established that lots of FLA albums sound kinda samey the whole way through, and that plus the fact that these songs aren't particularly catchy just leaves me kinda cold.

I did re-listen to Epitaph as well, and I didn't remember it getting so boring in the back half. First 4 or 5 songs are catchy, imo, but it sure does fall apart by the end. That song "Backlash" has some of the corniest lyrics ever.

I also checked out Hard Wired again, and I think it holds up very well!

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 12, 2016

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

ohrwurm posted:

Tactical neural implant or gtfo

Harsh but fair

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

TNI in a walk but Caustic Grip is a close second.

Yeah I think Caustic Grip is excellent, too. it was one of the first records i heard by them.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I think my favourites are Caustic Grip, TNI then Hard Wired. Even their stuff that isn't amazing is good, though.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Wizchine posted:

I have a soft spot for Gashed Senses and Crossfire because I saw them on tour in a cool little venue (Club Post-Nuclear in Laguna Beach) and Bill was nice enough to sit at a table afterwards to sign autographs and chat with the fans.

That sounds like a lot of fun, too.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Wikkheiser posted:

So in gothic rock the new Double Echo EP is stellar:

http://doubleechouk.bandcamp.com/

One of my favorite goth bands at the moment. The track Haunted Dreams is banging. It's almost ... happy goth.

Thanks for this!! I'm really, really liking them. That EP is great and I'm digging La Danza as well.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I'm so jealous of everyone who's seen kraftwerk :(

Let us know how it goes Cat-man

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I basically feel the same way. I was so excited for them to get back together but by and large the stuff they do now isn't as good as the stuff they did before the breakup. I feel like OhGr and Skinny Puppy used to have their own distinct sounds and now they've merged into something that's basically the same and less interesting.

I think it also really speaks to Dwayne's contribution to the group. The new sound is often, to my ears, sterile and unimaginative, the exact opposite of the imaginative and bizarre sounds they were getting on records like Last Rights or VIVIsectVI.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Kraftwerk are the loving masters. Not much you can do about it. Radio-Activity in its entirety live was a bizarre experience, it's so differently structured compared to just about anything else they've done it felt completely removed from the rest of the show (in a good way). The current live version of the title track is one of my all-time favorite pieces of music ever, but I actually thought its epicness and intensity kind of hurt the Radio-Activity block since the rest of the album is more like a weird lullaby / dream. Our seats were above the stage (great for seeing just what everyone is doing!) and that combined with the 3D visuals at times had the effect that it looked like the band members were maybe as tall as my fingers and playing in a box like a couple of feet away from me. Surreal. I only had that feeling during the RA bit though.

I'd seen Kraftwerk twice before but it hadn't hit me before just how loving absurd parts of their acts are. Especially The Robots is just delightfully silly - here we are in our hundreds, sitting in the opera house of Oslo and watching four robots painfully slowly simulate something akin to dancing with projections showing said robots doing the exact same thing and a seizure-inducing lightshow in the background. It just felt really absurd. And fantastic!

All that said, two hours and ten minutes of Kraftwerk sitting down with no neck support was quite a lot. It was a long-rear end concert, that's for sure. And yes, the current version of Autobahn is kind of too long. They've played shorter versions of it before. I also wasn't really feeling the current version of Computer Love even though it's one of my favorite KW tracks. It was slightly jumbled soundwise and Hütter sang rather sloppily and out of rhythm at times, I felt.

Anyway, today I'm playing my own little show here in Oslo and tomorrow we're going to the Techno Pop show :getin:

Also I'm really liking Oslo! Cool city and definitely not at all as expensive as I'd thought, although that has to do with the fact that the Norwegian krone is slightly down right now. At the moment it doesn't seem much more expensive than, say, Stockholm, which in turn is just slightly more expensive than my hometown, Helsinki.

Man, I bet that was a great show!! I don't know if it's a very cool opinion, but imo The Man-Machine is still sonically incredible and it's the record I'd most like to see them do live in its entirety.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

david_a posted:

Wumpscut. He had maybe one or two half-decent albums, then it was a quick slide into absolute bullshit.

From what I can remember, I liked Music for a Slaughtering Tribe and was actually kinda fond of Embryodead, as well. As another poster mentioned, Wreath of Barbs was pretty decent. After that he definitely fell off, though, and even on Wreath of Barbs there's some cringey material from what I remember, although that's kind of inevitable just because of the "edgy" nature of his stuff.

fake edit: hmm, looks like he had an album I've never heard that was released between Embyrodead and Wreath of Barbs.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Holy crap, I had no idea that Wumpscut was still releasing an album every year or so, along with a remix album each time.

I got drunk and listened to one on Spotify one time and it was godawful.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Just as regrettable as the time I tried to listen to some of the recent KMFDM albums.

Ooof, they are terrible.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

I hesitate to call them terrible, but they're mostly pretty samey and forgettable. A stable line-up is the worst thing to happen to KMFDM.

Yeah, "terrible" may be a bit strong, but I agree that they were a lot better when there were more talented weirdos cycling in and out, and like CAT rear end said, when their albums each seemed to have a unique character.

I'm listening to ADIOS right now and gently caress do I ever like "Full Worm Garden," among others.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

That song and R. U. OK took forever to grow on me. But I love'm now.

That album was weirdly a mixed bag to me when it came out, but I really like every track on it now for one reason or another. Today and That's All really stood out for me from the beginning, but I appreciate that not all fans at that time would dig them.

I agree 100% and to me it's actually one of the most consistent records they've done. I was always really in to punk and hardcore, along with some more post-punk/gothic rock stuff, so I had no preconceived notions of KMFDM or what it meant to be a "true" fan when I first heard them, so to me ADIOS was always a good record, as was SYMBOLS.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Adios is one of those albums where the actual order of the tracks works to make the album worse. Adios is a great opener, but why would you immediately suck out all the viciousness of the album with a lame turd like Sycophant? Why on earth would you end the album with Bereit when you have That's All (or D.I.Y which would also be a great way to end the album after That's All since it sticks out so much from the rest of the album)? What were they thinking?

I'm a firm believer in albums having a beginning and an end and a logical progression of songs. Adios has some great material but it really suffers from the way it's presented because it just feels like a bunch of disjointed stuff thrown together with no consideration of how it flows.

I agree with this, too, even though I think it's a collection of very strong songs the sequencing is pretty bad. This is pretty nerdy but off the top of my head, the album would run this way:

DIY
Today
Sycophant
Full Worm Garden
Witness

That's All
Bereit
R U OK?
Rubicon
Adios

This is a tough album to sequence, though. Witness and Sycophant are particularly tough to place.

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 13, 2016

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Fenrir posted:

I have been an on UNGODLY massive retro Skinny Puppy kick lately. It's like I got shoved into a time warp back into 1989 or something. Help me :ohdear:

I'm also pretty out of the loop on modern industrial, so if anyone's got stuff I haven't heard before that captures that same flavour, I'd totally appreciate it. In the meantime I'm listening to The Choke for like the 7th time this week, and that's after I listened to Too Dark Park twice already in full today.

Cardinal Noire are great for this stuff too!

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

spider_ross.avi posted:

Recently heard this record and it is so good I need to share it here. Raw, minimal, tribal, meditative, and other buzzwords. Strong Esplendor Geometrico vibes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AIa1VnEJK4

Also, who's catching the Cocks' Big-Sexy-Land-Is-30 tour?

I appreciate this post.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I think the new Project Pitchfork is incredibly strong, especially in the first half. I'll probably post more about it later, but if you're on the fence, you should definitely check it out!

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
The Blinding Dark is a fantastic album. Covenant were never a band i listened to much, but I'll have to really dig in to their back catalogue since I like this one a lot. In fact, it's probably my favourite record released in 2016.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Update: The Blinding Dark is easily my favourite album of 2016, and I've also been playing Northern Light - an album I'd never really paid attention to - on repeat. Thank you, Electro-industrial thread.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Generally I think that Delerium is just ok, but I really love Spheres. It's great for fans of sci-fi/horror soundtracks. Brooding, ambient goodness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWVjSx7DX-U

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

boo_radley posted:

Here's something I've had in rotation: sleep research facility: nostromo. https://www.discogs.com/SleepResearch_Facility-Nostromo/release/1163914

I really liked this, thanks!

I know we're getting a bit off-topic here, but whenever I listen to stuff like this I also inevitably end up putting on Tangerine Dream's 1972 album, Zeit. It's dark, and ambient, before that was a specific genre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-zV0YqtAxo

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

Coil's Musick To Play In The Dark 2 is being reissued on iTunes and presumably CD in April 2022.

Give me that sweet sweet vinyl…

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's a really good album but it only had one minor hit, and then they just fell off the map entirely. They opened for NIN and David Bowie which is a bit of a poo poo gig because you're guaranteed to look like poo poo compared to that lineup. They made another album but it was mailorder only. Maybe they got dropped by the label.

A lot of bands that were on Nothing seemed to have not really gone anywhere. I remember someone saying that if you weren't NIN or Marilyn Manson you weren't a priority for the record company.

They weren’t dropped exactly but were unable to secure a release date for the next album, so there was a legal dispute that ended up with Prickster having the songs but no label to release them on, so that’s why he went mail order with the next one.

I also always thought that Animal was a pretty sick song but it maybe didn’t need the bit where he eats out(?) the woman(??) backed by Quake grunts

edit: like I listen to lots of extreme stuff and I get it, but this is a very fun, catchy song… until you hear the sounds of someone slurping(?) an ogress(???)

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 12, 2022

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Re: new Skinny Puppy, I’m not a fan either. One thing I really liked about the OG records back in the day is that they sounded frightening, with lots of dirt and atmospheric sonic elements that were unlike anything else I’d ever heard. The newer records are a lot more conventional, both in composition and production style and imo they suffer greatly by comparison.

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 30, 2022

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Could probably make one album of great songs since Adios.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I’d never heard Spit Mask until now, they are awesome! Thanks!

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
because it rocks rear end

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
It makes my head spin when people defend Repo!, and it’s got a pretty big cult following. That movie fuckin’ sucks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Their last truly good album was Adios in my opinion. The current iteration of the KMFDM formula is corny as gently caress to me, its not compelling as “industrial” and its even less compelling as metal. Kinda feel like a dick saying it. I love their old stuff and Sasha is still a really talented programmer, and Lucia is a fine vocalist but I hate the way she sounds with the band tbh. Every time I hear something new by them it either sounds like weird lightweight EBM (inadequate description but I think you know what I mean) or a lovely rip off of A Drug Against War that just sounds tired. They just are locked in to doing things a certain way and the sense of freedom to experiment is gone. We’re not getting another XTORT. Can’t believe I’m still writing this post about KMFDM

Edit: resurrecting this banger post about how I would sequence Adios from back in the day lol

PinkoBastard posted:

I agree with this, too, even though I think it's a collection of very strong songs the sequencing is pretty bad. This is pretty nerdy but off the top of my head, the album would run this way:

DIY
Today
Sycophant
Full Worm Garden
Witness

That's All
Bereit
R U OK?
Rubicon
Adios

This is a tough album to sequence, though. Witness and Sycophant are particularly tough to place.

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 4, 2023