Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010

Pneumatic Toaster posted:

I've been listening to Dark Asylum Radio lately, and it has been a pretty welcome source of new music for me.

Combichrist, VNV, Wumpscut, Aesthetic Perfection, NIN, Grendel, occasionally some Tactical Sekt, and And One get play time. It also introduced me to Front242, Angelspit, Apoptygma Berzerk, Seabound, De/vision, Laibach, Funker Vogt, Rotersand, and a bunch of others.

Lots of mixes and a DJ set every once in a while.

I'm pretty happy they stopped playing that goddamn "You're listening to Dark Asylum Radio" soundbite every twenty loving minutes though. As if I'd forget what I decided to stream.

e: Hunting around found a SHOUTcast page that lists recently played tracks!

Speaking of And One, has anyone listened to their newest album, Tanzomat, yet? I gave it a brief listen on youtube and it pretty much sounded like old-school EBM, take what you will from this, but personally I wasn't exactly impressed. Maybe I need to give it a more fair listen though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010

deong posted:

With the De/Vision talk.. maybe one of you can help me.
I swear the beginning of Apocalyptica - I Don't Care sounds like a De/Vision song.. but I cannot find which. Is it maybe a similarity that I'm exaggerating? The first time I heard the song on the radio, I was in shock and awe thinking it WAS De/Vision... until I realized it wasn't them.

At first I was wondering where you got the idea there was any similarity, but then I heard the guy sing and I agree its eerily similar. Maybe they and De/Vision used a similar vocal filter or something.

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010
I've been listening to my last.fm ebm station for the past couple of hours and for whatever reason I've gotten into the habit of skipping any German/Swedish artist(s) that come up.

yeah, it doesn't leave me with much to listen to, as I'm skipping 9/10 of the songs that come up. Long story short, any American EBM (or close to it) bands that can be named?

Assemblage 23 is the only that comes to mind.

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010
I dislike control, it sounds really uninspired and the synth line sounds like a really cheesy and somewhat familiar guitar riff. To be frank, from what I heard from the Automatic's preview on facebook the whole thing sounds pretty disappointing to me.

I know since Empires they had people saying they deviated too far from the original formula, but Goddamn this new album seems to take the cake. At least for me.

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010
drat, I wish I haven't blown off VNV's new album so quickly earlier. Just gave the album a listen and I really enjoyed "On Air", "Radio", and "Nova". I can't blame them for mellowing out, it only seems natural, I just would have preferred they would have done it as similarly as Covenant did.

speaking of Covenant, I'm starting to anticipate an EP from them. They left out a decent bunch of songs from their modern ruin tour that I was anticipating to hear.

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Moon Nazis and Laibach are basically everything I like.

I have been listening to a lot of Mind.In.A.Box recently and am starting to think that their Crossroads release is probably one of my favourite albums at the moment. They don't really sound like anyone else, and pretty much every track is great.

Fear
Stalkers
Amnesia

I got their first album when it came out, since a friend heard of them and raved about it, and although I liked it, I got kind of bored of it since my tastes were a bit different at the time, but godDAMN they are great now. RETRO is cool too, but Crossroads is so much better it's not even funny.

I really like crossroads, those songs and "what used to be" (imo) really do have a distinctive style. I've never heard of someone switching between modulated male/female vocals like that.

I like this single as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es-AarzpQ-w

unrelated, but I can't believe I've neglected to listen to funker vogt for this long of a time. I'm absolutely loving subspace, do they have any other similar songs? I love the guy's vocals.

molotoveverything fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 9, 2011

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010
I had to re-read that post about the mentioning of botdf and then question my musical tastes.

How could anyone tour with BloodOnTheDanceFloor? I feel dirty just for the fact they're touring with Angelspit and I don't even listen to them. Just a little too close to comfort, if they're brought up in an electro-industrial thread.

molotoveverything fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 20, 2011

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010
thats pretty drat bad, though I guess it can't be totally unexpected considering they've been in a decline for almost a decade now.

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Apparently Ashbury Heights lives

thats awesome, are Yaz and Anders getting back together? I liked Kari, but Yaz was just a better singer/personality for Ashbury Heights.

Maybe if they improve their lyrics, production, and stop dressing up like BDSM participants they can get the greater following they've been hoping for.

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010
speaking of shows, do electo-industrial performances vary much from any other regular performance? I'm planning to see VNV Nation in Chicago on the 29th, but I've never went to see anything live from this scene. I just have this inexplicable feeling im going to be sandwiched between a whole ton of 30 somethings, I'm going solo so I'm already not entirely keen about it, but then again I really want to see VNV Nation live.

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010

boo_radley posted:

A few pics from the Straftanz/ VNV Nation show on Saturday.

Never heard of Straftanz before the show, but they were totally manic performers, jumping up and down, leading the crowd in chants & clapping, miming to the music, etc. They were pretty

Here's their song Turbo, which I quite liked.

The skull is made of popcorn, there's popcorn hand-grenades on the side banners. Slick graphics.

VNV had this superslick LED board up and running throughout the show.

"If a man my size can move like this, then all of you can do it, too!"

This was a real thing that occurred -- he got a couple shout outs from Ronan ("are you tweaking right now, mister... Pokemon? Sonic?") and wound up throwing the cap at Ronan, who put it on for a bit. By then I'd retreated to the bar and didn't get a picture of it.

A++ would see again.

Just saw them, I agree. Straftanz does a great job interacting with the crowd and they too were all over the place tonight. I didn't realize he was saying "turbo", I had some trouble understanding him :(

molotoveverything fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 30, 2011

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010
I don't really listen to this genre anymore, but I've been checking up on things occasionally just because I found and still find the drama in the scene interesting. The last incidents that come to memory involved Ashbury Heights and Funker Vogt. Now it seems like the focus is on CC and Nachtmahr, though I wouldn't shake my head at the members of "ad-very-sary" for what they did. I think what "Twiin" did was both awesome and overdue. That fact that you guys presented your thoughts without resorting to personal attacks made it even better.

Anyways why does this scene (a very small one as well) inescapably seems to be tied to all sorts of drama? It's such a small scene, yet every time I check up on things I'm bound to find some sort of controversy in the scene itself.

molotoveverything fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 14, 2012

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010
VNV Nation played in coffee shops, where you do live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010
How many people could possibly show up at a Covenant gig in the states anyways? There weren't that many people when I saw VNV Nation from my experience in last December and VNV Nation is much more popular band. I'll be seeing them though, they're probably my favorite in the genre.