Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is The Birthday Massacre not particularly well-liked around here or something?

I actually rather like some of their stuff, but I fear that I may have (dun dun DUNNN) bad taste in music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I actually haven't listened to Pins and Needles, but Violet and Walking with Strangers are both great.

And really, while they're not quite industrial music, synthrock (especially with the kind of aesthetic they have) is close enough to merit discussion in this thread, especially since there don't seem to be enough bands playing it for a thread of its own.

Funny story: the person that introduced me to TBM was a girl who I knew because she was cheating on her boyfriend with my best friend. I rationalized it away as her boyfriend being an rear end in a top hat (he is) and it wound up biting me in the rear end when she turned out to be a psychotic bitch. I will always be grateful to her for introducing me to TBM, though. :3:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It's alright, I think. Not great, but definitely listenable.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It's funny how I went from really, really liking Combichrist when I got into electro-industrial, to currently thinking he's an absolute fuckwrench who can't write decent music unless he's working off of someone else's stuff.

Seriously, I can stand exactly two Combichrist-related tracks now: the Sascha Konietzko remix of Get Your Body Beat and his remix of FLA's Beneath the Rubble.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Combichrist seems like a satire, honestly. It's not really reenactment of the values of the larger society when you're exaggerating the hell out of those values to the point where they become ridiculous.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

deong posted:

I'm not familiar with Mortiis. Looking at the Wiki discography, um, where should I start? I listened to a few youtube videos and it sounds decent.

Last night I went and saw A23. Pretty good show, he played a good mix of the old and the new songs. I was big into them up through storm, then kind of lost track of anything new that he had put out.

gently caress, I missed him playing at Elysium. :smith:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Holy jesus gently caress I'm listening to AirMech on spotify right now and it's amazing. :stare:

How did FLA get good again?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

So I caught a really cool EBM/industrial/dark electronic musician at South by Southwest this last Friday. Xander Harris is a local artist here who does 80s cyberpunk-themed instrumental music and has an album named after the book Snow Crash (try the song BIOS), a song sampling the 1984 movie Dune, and a really sweet album called Urban Gothic.

The sound was great and was in small theater that felt like it was from a David Lynch movie. Really tiny, with only about a six-foot space in front of the stage to stand, and then maybe 30 or 40 elevated seats behind that (it's normally used for live comedy), in something like four rows, and with a bunch of avant-garde-looking motherfuckers sitting there staring. And here was this guy on stage, with a green curtain behind him, fog machines, and a bunch of keyboards and computers playing it loud. I was half-expecting Dennis Hopper to be sitting in the corner and sucking on an oxygen tank.

This guy's really good, but he honestly has more in common with stuff like Perturbator, Kavinsky, College, and Makeup and Vanity Set from what I'm hearing. His stuff doesn't really seem... I dunno, gritty enough to be industrial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is Elysium in Austin a good venue/club? I walked by there on my way to a friend's show at Holy Mountain and it looked fantastic but I haven't even heard of it before.