Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's not fair to make statements like that without explaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Zaiquiri posted:

Going to KMFDM in portland tonight. Hope they aren't too disappointing.
I'm still on the fence about seeing them in Toronto. I finally saw them in Ottawa like ... over five years ago, and it was terrible.

I was expecting 90s KMFDM, and I got ... metal. That alone wouldn't have been inherently awful, but it was also the loudest concert I'd been to thus far and it destroyed my hearing. I've worn earplugs at shows ever since, but really it's too late.

I was so put off by it I skipped their next show, where it turns out Birthday Massacre opened for them, who I adore.

I think I'd be better prepared to enjoy them now, now that I have no expectation for their former glory. I think the worst thing to happen to KMFDM is for Sasha to have married one of the disposable female singers.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

m.i.a.b are so loving good. They're sort of new at live shows though so things go wrong occasionally. They've previously been at the mercy of local mixing boards, but it sounds like they've taken over everything with their latest set up.

edit: here's a video I took with a terrible microphone :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyklrxVpW4E

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Zaiquiri posted:

Just got back and they loving ruled. Got three encores, mosh pit kicked rear end, the show was good. Their lineup was kind of meh because They had songs from their newer album, which I haven't actually heard yet, but it was a great show.

Also the singer for 16Volt jumped into the mosh pit mid-show and knocked people out, then let the audience sing into his mic.

Definitely better than last time KMFDM was in Portland.
Awesome. I got a press pass so I guess I'm going now!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I loving love their live sound! I find these kinds of shows where the band just plays their recordings over again boring as hell.

I was a big fan of APBL2000 too though, and MIAB does it just so much better.

The thing with MIAB is that they're somewhat new at this and apparently the live mixing has been terrible at some shows, like guitars blasting completely over everything else. They've been experimenting with different equipment and now have some system in place to control it themselves so they're not at the mercy of the local sound guy.

(I don't quite understand how they plan to do it, but that's what they posted to their Facebook.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I can hear Covenant, or at least a highly Covenant-inspired track in the background of the Barbie movie my animu roommate is watching.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

sethsez posted:

I find it really, really hard to consider the band Pop Will Eat Itself if there's only one original member left and that member isn't Clint.
Well honestly I think Graham Crabb was a principle just as much as Clint was. I know what you mean, but I'll be just as happy to listen to it as long as it doesn't suck.

I still like Bently Rhythm Ace :shobon:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lead singer of Army of the Universe for some reason slapped me. He grabbed the hands of people near the front. I didn't have my hand up and the jackass loving slapped me.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

He seemed a little apologetic after and said something about not being able to reach my hand. Whatever. It was ... unexpected.

KMFDM were much better than the first time I saw them. Very light on classics, but I enjoyed their new stuff all the same, surprisingly. I didn't mean to, but ended up in the pit for the first time in like a decade. It was good; I managed to get to the other side of the stage to take pictures from a different angle :D

I managed a picture of the setlist too:
  • Krank
  • Amnesia
  • Come On Go Off
  • Bait and Switch
  • Tohuvabohu
  • Dystopia
  • Potz Blitz
  • Looking for Strange
  • Spectre
  • Take It Like A Man
  • Megalomaniac
  • Lynchmob
  • Rebels in Kontrol
  • A Drug Against War
  • Attak/Reload
  • Hau Ruck
  • (break)
  • WW III
  • DIY
  • (break)
  • Day Of Light
  • Godlike

Lucia was stupidly loving hot. So KMFDM is a little bit samey nowadays... Sascha did the right thing marrying her.

I won't have time to process photos until next week unfortunately.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Cleaner posted:

I think the majority of us will agree that Anarchy from the Symbols album was a really good. That being said it was his first time with KMFDM, and all he really did were vocals.

But that's the thing. After that everyone expected Anarchy. And instead we got stuff like Save Me. Which sounded like Linkin Park.
I quite liked That's All, and Today was a bit of a guilty pleasure :shobon:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Working on my (terrible) KMFDM photos, this was one of the openers, Army of the Universe, before he took off his shirt and slapped me:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Cleaner posted:

Teethgrinder if it makes you feel any better, I remember yelling out 'YEAAAAHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh' just for fun... then like a SECOND into my scream he walks out with his shirt off.

Awkwaarddd.
Hahaha it does. Thanks :D

Human Factors Lab:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Army of the Universe:

KMFDM:

I love the way she looks with the backdrop

The set is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/markosaar/sets/72157627426828507/

I finally listened to WTF!? and drat, it's easily the best thing they've done in 10 years. I quite liked it until a track or two toward the end. The last track I thought was great ... reminded me of falling asleep listening to Troublegum by Therapy? and waking for the creepy rendition of You Are My Sunshine as a hidden track.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Geez, if you think Modern Ruin is good, you might even like Skyshaper.

You can't forget the rest of their earlier catalogue either though, all of which are better/great/outstanding. I got pretty obsessed with Covenant after hearing Monochrome on Northern Light.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I keep going to see Covenant for the faint hope that they play Monochrome.

But yeah, the live versions of their older tracks have always been the best parts. Stalker always gets the crowd going nuts.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Dos Dedos Mis Amigos by PWEI

The Process by Skinny Puppy :colbert:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've mentioned them before, but I just cannot say enough good about Battery Cage, and the albums World Wide Wasteland and A Young Person's Guide to Heartbreak. I feel they capture what 90s KMFDM had and lost, and one-up it. The latter album is definitely a spectacular angsty party. Bookend it with with Broken heh.

The band has released some other work sporadically, but it's a more stripped down style without much electronics.

Unfortunately they seemed to have dropped off the radar mostly and never quite hit it big enough so it's hard to find their stuff streaming online. My favourite songs like Single and I Want To Take You Home aren't available anyway.

One terrible quality example from World Wide Wasteland:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvzV8GRmxYs

I think the stuff from A Young Person's Guide to Heartbreak would appeal to more people here though.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

loving buy buy buy!

Everything is on iTunes (so you can preview too), but oddly they seem to be listed under two different "Battery Cage" entries.

I bought a CD and t-shirt from them directly a few years ago and they came with a hand-written thank you note from Tyler :)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So the new "Pop Will Eat Itself" (no Clint, Adam, Fuzz) was released today in the UK.

I'm approaching this with lots of trepidation ... really don't want to get my hopes up.

Not atrocious so far, though I'm only three tracks in. Kind of Primal Scream-esque with fatter guitars and more effects.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Well listened to it twice and ...

It's not terrible, and has some slight comfort, but really it's completely forgettable. There are just no hooks through the entire thing. Some great sounds and effects, but it all just blends together.

Everything since and including This Is The Day... was catchy and brash. This is somewhat brash, but there's just nothing catchy about it.

edit: really not electro-industrial, though some people think Sail is, but anyone checked out AWOLNATION? I feel they capture the old PWEI aesthetic better than modern PWEI does.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 4, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

When at university, it was the whores sluts skanks women from Northern Ontario that loved Combichrist.

edit: and I'm talking about the Abercrombie-wearing ones, not the Zaphod's crowd, heh. Though they probably liked it too.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 5, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've tried to push m.i.a.b. here for ages. Their live show is fantastic for this genre too. But yeah, Crossroads was my introduction. I kind of like the other albums too, but this one is phenomenal. They really seem to have matured and just gotten better with time.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

boo_radley posted:

THE MISSION (UK)
Heh.

Can't believe Visage and The Cult are still around.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I can't believe almost all of those artists are still around.
Much of them are still somewhat/quite relevant though. KMFDM surprisingly. I'd written them off five years ago, but they've somehow recaptured some of the magic recently. See: A Drug Against Wallstreet heh.

I can't say the same for Cult, Visage, Psychedelic Furs, etc.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Floodland is incredible. In fact, going to queue it up after Daydream Nation, which is on due to Thurston & Kim breaking up after something ridiculous like 27 years of marriage.

I do like Vision Thing quite a bit too, but it's not on the same level.

So I forgot to go to EBMfest today, heh. I could still go, but frankly I'm, sick, tired, and still hung over as gently caress from hanging out with my EBM friends last night anyway.

(Line up is Funker Vogt, Decoded Feedback, Ayria, Fractured & Prospero)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Cevin Key at his finest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9PbqPKQGDA

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

(Cevin is the guy hitting the synth drums occasionally)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have to be honest and say I didn't hate it. And it's probably better than anything else they've done since they started their decline.

But my expectations were very very very low.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Apparently Ashbury Heights lives

quote:

@ashburyheights: Have gotten tons of old drum machines to play with for creating the rythms of the new album, gonna try beefing up the classics w modern tech

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I assumed he meant beefing up classic drum machines for the new album.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

With your endorsement I shall have to give it a spin. But I was always a heretic for loving The Process best anyway.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Mostly really liked Handover on my first listen. One song mid/late-way through stuck out as particularly bad (not sure which because I was doing dishes). Village though reminded me of modern KMFDM, with Ogre singing some of Lucia's vocals :D

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Danger - Octopus! posted:

There was tons of lovely guitary industrial that sounded the same
Remember when Stabbing Westward was "new industrial"?

Dos Dedos Mis Amigos and to a lesser extend Nine Inch Nails and KMFDM were my introductions to industrial. There was some interesting stuff going on in Toronto at the time too, like I still have a soft spot for Malhavoc, though I was too young to go to those shows.

I got into PWEI though ... Ned's Atomic Dustbin haha. Other stuff trickled down from my much-older brother. He'd put Pretty Hate Machine on at parties and people would get pissed about that lovely new music.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The quality of electro-industrial shows varies greatly. VNV Nation is somehow a huge crowd pleaser, so despite it mostly being about a sweaty breathless fat man prancing around the stage singing out of key, the audience goes nuts. At least in Toronto.

They do try harder than most though, and have some nice visuals. They do a bit that's getting a little old with the "other guy" playing midi drums as a silhouette at the back of the stage.

Piles of bands do little more than dick around in Ableton and aren't at all interesting. Some have pretty great visuals. My favourites are the ones that put in a lot of live instrumentation. Apoptygma Berzerk is pretty great for that despite their lovely late career.

Some have such incredible energy. One of my favourite shows was Cesium 137 with the most ghetto set up ever. One keyboard player with a single device and one fat guy singing. Yet they were so loving fun. (and sounded outstanding.)

I feel Assemblage 23 does VNV Nation than VNV Nation, though Tom Shear looks a lot like a shorter version of Ronan.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I can't recall seeing this here. Not a huge fan of the song, but this video is loving amazing:

https://vimeo.com/31836365

(And quite NSFW)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've seen Covenant three times and that's not my experience at all.

The second time was loving strange though. The guy that quit, Clas, clearly was hosed up. He wasn't playing anything, and periodically danced like an ape at the front of the stage. His keyboard wasn't plugged in, and they at least made a show of trying to fix it. They never did.

The last time was with Daniel Myers. He seemed wholly into it, and would periodically bang on a pair of giant drums for an awesome effect. Later in the show there was equipment failure with Joakim's keyboards and backup vocals and Myers hysterically covered for them. You could see them trying to adapt, and Eskil was surprised when Myers' voice blared over everything.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My only complaint is that I've never seen them play Monochrome. Up there as one of my all-time favourite songs.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That's really cool.

I was really hoping Myers in Covenant would mean those sorts of sounds but ... faster tempo. What disappointments that, and the previous album, have been.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Jarl posted:

Wanted to find something new to get my eardrums going and thought "No Music Discussion" has helped me out before. Holy hell this thread is a goldmine. :black101:
Cool! What's stuck out for you?

What kind of music have you previously been into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Jarl posted:

I would like to say that my musical taste is broad, but I think most people feel that way about themselves, and when you come down to it there will most definetly be som types of music you like more and some you like less.
I'll throw some bands on the table, since I'm in general not really that good at identifying genres anyway:

Rammstein
Depeche Mode
A lot of people feel that, but most aren't being honest with themselves. Or their definition of broad is "anything on the radio". Anyway, this 'genre' isn't a huge stretch from Rammstein and Depeche Mode.

Based on everything you listed, I suggest you give Project Pitchfork another look. Rammstein got their break by touring with them.

(Eon:Eon I think is the best overall album, but their biggest hit is Timekiller, and there are great songs all throughout their career.)