Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
That artwork is embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Pope Guilty posted:

I cannot loving believe they didn't ask him about what she spent most of the interview talking about.

She's totally bananas. He's not joking when he said she threw his studio outside (in the rain, too). She's that girl, except she happens to be in a band.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

hatelull posted:

20 Jazz Funk Greats I think is probably their most accessible thing, (if the concept can even exist in reference to Throbbing Gristle).

I think Part Two: The Endless Not is their most accessible album by far. But it's not a 'classic' record.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

That's the thing. With most genres of music there will be a set of perfect albums that absolutely nobody can disagree on, and then after you've gone through all of those, individual tastes will start to differ. For example, with hip-hop you've got Illmatic/36 Chambers/Liquid Swordz. With black metal you've got Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk/A Blaze in the Northern Sky/Nemesis Divina/Hvis Lyset Tar Oss/Shadowthrone. For death metal you've got Deicide/None So Vile/Obscura/The first few Morbid Angel albums. You'll find two or three people who listen to different ares within the genre and disagree on just about everything else, but they'll all agree on those pillar albums.

It seems weird that industrial doesn't have that universal core that other styles have. But maybe it does and I'm about to find out after following all y'all suggestions. Thanks for those, by the way.

Honestly after having the 'what is industrial music' conversation with far too many people over the last god knows how many years I think the Illmatic/36 Chambers/Liquid Swordz of industrial is Too Dark Park/The Downward Spiral/Tactical Neural Implant.

A lot of people love The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste, and Front By Front, and Solutions for a Small Planet (plus the crazed Neubauten / Coil fans), but people talk about TDP/TDS/TNI in a way they don't talk about any other albums.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

zygotesix posted:

Since when is The Prodigy industrial? I always considered them electronic. Like, dance music electronic, not that electronic-industrial hybrid stuff thats so popular today.

Prodigy, like fellow electronic acts Lords of Acid and Fluke, had a brief renaissance in the industrial community.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

hatelull posted:

And this is the problem with genre definitions, unless you were taking the piss. A lot of this thread talks about stuff like Covenant, VNV Nation, mind.in.a.box and a bunch of other synthy euro stuff that (to me) sounds like updated Depeche Mode remixed by edgy trance artists. Yeah, you can trace it back to what 242 was doing on their classic Wax Trax albums but still it's a huge leap. Given who was in COIL it's not a stretch for me to associate them (especially the earlier stuff) with this genre. Sure, they would eventually veer off into experimental territory but you still got "Anal Staircase" right?

Yeah. I didn't want to take the bait on that post, but if Coil wasn't industrial, then nothing (save Industrial Records) is.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Aside from "electro-industrial" or co-opting just plain "industrial", there isn't really a good term that covers the gamut from TG to 242 to VNV to Combichrist to Winterkalte.

Well, I see 'industrial' as a macro-genre, in the same way that 'rock' has been used to describe everyone from Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis to Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd and Run DMC.

They're all arguably 'rock' acts (and I would bet a dollar they're all in the rock hall of fame), but it's too large of a genre to talk about without breaking it into smaller sized genres.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Right now there's the issue of who would actually be getting paid for any potential coil record since they're both dead and the stuff was almost all self-released.

I suspect the rights likely belong to Chris and Cosey now.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

chime_on posted:

How does that make sense? Not sure about Peter, but Geoff at least had a long term partner-- I'd assume that if he had a will, Ian was in it.

My understanding is that Sleazy took full ownership of Coil when Jhonn died, and Chris was the person that was took care of Sleazy's affairs when he died (and was his closest friend). It would make sense for Sleazy to leave the music to someone who is a musical partner.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Last time HuG played Canada, their bassist got stuck at the border, and they just got some girl with red hair to fake it on stage for the rest of the tour. So loving lame.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Hahahahaha seriously? And they didn't tell the audience?

Nope.

DJEldritch posted:

A lot of people forget about Coil's other band member, Stephen Thrower (who is not dead). He's actually still making coil'esque music under the name, Cyclobe.

I'd say if anyone is going to get the rights to the albums and songs, it's going to be him.

There's also Danny Hyde, and Thighpaulsandra, and...

But my understanding is that they're likely in Chris and/or Cosey's hands. I'll ask someone who's part of that whole scene to see if they know for sure.

Twiin fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 15, 2011

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Slappy Moose posted:

Does anyone know of any songs similar to Today I Woke to The Rain of Blood by Combichrist? It's seriously my favourite song of all time, I can listen to it as many times as I want without getting bored of it. It's rhe best workout song I've ever found, I can hardly find anything that's even remotely as good.

That song is basically Combichrist's most technically proficient attempt at ripping off Suicide Commando's career. He does a good job, too.

I totally can't stand 99% of this particular type of music, but you might like Panzer AG - Filth God or Aesthetic Perfection - The Great Depression. Also take a look at Hocico's catalogue, or maybe Nachtmahr and/or [X]-Rx.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Furret Basket posted:

That kinda music will rot your brain, y'know?

I just think it's sonically lazy.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Pope Guilty posted:

Sure, but with the first two, the lyrics are sufficiently "Please be offended by me!" to be distracting to where I can't enjoy them.

Hating women is coooooool!

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

13Pandora13 posted:

I feel like taste in industrial is entirely subjective. I think most of the stuff you guys like is way too whiny goth kid for my tastes but I don't think the bands I like are musically superior. I just like them better. Everything in industrial is a stereotype. You take yourselves way too seriously.

Different strokes. I prefer 'whiny' to 'misogynist'. Your tastes may vary!

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Industrial has always been totally over the edge, bro, it's just that people are harder to shock now.

Sure! The difference is that acts like Laibach or Boyd Rice were either explicitly a character act, or were totally marginalized. Combichrist wears a confederate war flag and puts out a video where he forces women to strip at gunpoint, and he goes on tour with Rammstein.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
edit: nm

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

spider_ross.avi posted:

Read ICP and Combichrist lyrics side by side and try to tell yourself they aren't exactly the same.

That would make for a good online trivia game. "ICP or Combichrist?"

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Just got confirmed to play Festival Kinetik next year! I'm psyched! Are you psyched? I'm psyched!

Edit: Psyched!

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Furret Basket posted:

Just found out about this bonus track on the deluxe edition of Improvised Electronic Device and what the gently caress, it's actually really good and could pass for classic FLA? What happened with the rest of the CD if they were still capable of this?

Holy poo poo!

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
well that's it, i quit industrial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BMWq4AERzk

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

This is true of quite a lot of bands across electro-industrial music.

Zing!

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Generally at VNV gigs, you'll get a bunch of people who are really into it, and a snooty bunch who are all "heh, VNV, yeah they're so lame these days" but about halfway through, a song will get played that reminds the snooty ones how much they liked them back in the day and then suddenly everyone is having fun until the last track is done.

This is a really good description of their live gigs.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

afgrunden posted:

Was going to post this in the recommendation thread but this seems like a better place? I have to admit I don't really know much about industrial, much less electro-industrial, but I was wondering if any of you know of some bands that make music that's kind of like a combination of punk and industrial. Like some kind of weird combination of Killing Joke, Laibach and Big Black.

Lard! It's Ministry with Jello Biafra!

Pailhead! It's Ministry with Ian MacKaye!

Ministry! It's Ministry with Ministry!

Left Spine Down! It's some of the newer FLA dues with some of the Black Halos dudes! Or something.

Rabbit Junk! It's one of the dudes from The Shizit and his girlfriend!

Babyland! It's Babyland!

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

hatelull posted:

I saw these guys open for ohGr. They reminded me of Orgy. Also, I think only one of the guys has worked with FLA. They did an excrementable cover of "She's Lost Control." I drank more beer and waited for the set to end.

Jared and Jeremy both did some stuff with FLA, I think. I could be wrong though.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I'm playing Kinetik, so I'll be there of course. I would like to get back to Maschinenfest, but I don't know if this is going to be the year that happens. (I'd love to play it, but I'm not on the right labels to make that happen.)

Aside from that, nothing really grabs me yet.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm convinced that USB keys or something similar are the data storage format of the future, but that may be merely wishful thinking.

Too expensive. I can press a thousand CDs for a buck a pop. My friend just paid $1500 for a run of 150 fancy looking 2GB USB sticks.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Pope Guilty posted:

That's a very small number to get produced, though.

That's kind of the point. $1500 isn't a small number, though. For $1500 I can either get 1000 CDs and some shirts/posters/stickers/etc, or 150 nice USB keys.

Until USB storage comes down in cost, it's not really feasible for smaller artists (which almost all industrial artists are).

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Pope Guilty posted:

My point was really more that if you're getting 150 of something produced, you're getting the highest unit prices you're going to pay for mass production.

Totally true. But it doesn't change the problem with artists using the format.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I want to make a mix of nothing but industrial sample collages. So far I have:

Greater than One - Now Is the Time
KMFDM - We Must Awaken
Bigod 20 - America

Does anyone know any others?

Pop Will Eat Itself - The Fuses Have Been Lit

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

spider_ross.avi posted:

Um trent reznor made it first. Johnny Cash just made it better.

you should check your facts lamer before posting in an INDUSTRIAL THREAD

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Furret Basket posted:

Yeah Winterkalte is the only one in the list sofar to make me go OMG YAY

Winterkalte is one of my all-time most disappointing live electronic acts. I love the CDs but live it's just a boring mishmash that lasts an hour longer than it should.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Pope Guilty posted:

I Die: You Die is a website that a friend of mine does that may be of interest to people here.

Things like this remind me of just how small the industrial scene is.

Edit: With that said ID:UD is absolutely the best place on the internet right now for industrial reviews/interviews.

Twiin fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 25, 2012

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Noricae posted:

I'll say. I've run into that site twice before as well (fun Kirlian Camera interview), and it's pretty new. Perhaps it's that a lot of the people into this music are very active online and all end up running into each other over and over. Or maybe it's because:

"If you come from industrial, in a way you’re tainted." - from their recent Dave Heckman interview (haha).

Definitely a great review/interview site. Are there any similar sites out there (that get regular updates)?

Re:gen and side-line were the other two that I used to follow, but side-line is garbage and I kind of stopped following regen closely after a few website outages.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Pope Guilty posted:

The website is also ads.

This is funny because it's true.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Hey, it takes a real hard-nosed journalist to copy and paste press releases with integrity.

Copying and pasting press releases is easy. It's cashing the cheques from the artists and labels that takes real work.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
ID:UD's look at the Top 100 Industrial Songs Of All Time Project is worth a read. It includes their own submission to the project, which I think is a much better Top 100 than the final result.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

The David Schock one has a pretty predictable (and dated)) top 20 of club floorfillers. I mean, I really like some of those songs, but there have been better ones since some of those came out and while they're fun to dance to, they're hardly all time best. I wouldn't even say that Headhunter is the best Front 242 song, and I really like Headhunter and Front 242. Bit of a random selection of genres too. I guess if it was Top 101 Industrial Songs Played In Clubs, that'd make sense.

Edit: The ID:UD one is way better.

David's a nice guy and he put in a ton of work into his list, but his collection methodology had a lot of problems which is why we've got the list that we do.

ID:UD's approach of only having one track per band makes for a much more interesting list.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

It also reminds me that I never got the popularity of The Bog, by Bigod 20.

I preferred their Madonna-focused period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
So I just did an interview with I Die: You Die if you're into that kind of thing.