Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

I was going to at least give them props for the Coil reference in the band name, but then I remembered How to Destroy Angels and went :ughh:

I love COIL's soundscapes and ludicrously priced limited releases as much as the next faceless internet persona, but I honestly read that as a Depeche Mode reference. A loser is me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Speaking of vocoded ...

Skinny Puppy frontman Ogre has a new release slated for May 10th. A tumblr site popped up earlier this week for potential hype of the record.

http://ohgr.tumblr.com/

Not much there now except some album artwork and a promo pic, but I figure the lurkers in this thread might be interested in this forthcoming album.

If it's anywhere near as tasty as Devils In My Details then it should be a fairly excellent record.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The new ohGr album, unDeveloped has leaked. If you're into the darker grittier aspects of Puppy (as opposed to the smoother updated sounds they've been playing with on those last two LP's) then this album should definitely be worth checking out come May 10th.

In honor of this ultimately forgettable event, here's a blurb about the dude's taste for horror movies.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/music/1586

Mr. Brownstone seems to be his new persona. Keen. Should make for some delightful live performances.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Zaiquiri posted:

The second half of the album is basically Skinny Puppy and The Postal Service Make an Album

This. "pissage" is everything one would want in a growly brooding Ogre song with oppresive beats, but then "comedown" is such a splendid moment of poppy euphoria. The latter half the album has stuff that you absolutely want to hear if you liked the sunnyPsyop material. I think Undeveloped does a decent attempt and mixing the best of both worlds from his last two solo LPs into one mostly cohesive album.

I've listened to it several times and it has definitely grown on me. I'm hoping he tours just to see how he pulls off that Mr. Brownstone persona live.

Also, the new Puppy record supposedly drops in September.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

W424 posted:

If Mark Walk is still involved it will suck.

This would be a far more entertaining and interesting perspective had you chose to provide some ammunition for your rather dismissive generalization.

edit: dickish reply was dickish.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 8, 2011

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

W424 posted:

I donīt know, like listening to anything heīs been involved with by Puppy/Ohgr?
Still a dick.

That still doesn't accurately address (and mostly what I'm curious about) what it exactly is about his involvement that is so bothersome. Is it his approach to melody? The way he plays around with the 8-bit sound? Vocoding vocals? The pop attributes he brings to the mix?

Or, is this just a grandiose way of saying "Last Rights was the last proper Puppy album, and everything else has been varied attempts at fail."

I mean, I can understand that view and sentiment even without agreeing fully to it. However, at least that would be more conversation inducing than simply saying "Mark Walk sucks and everything he touches is vile."

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I cannot really speak to how much Walk influenced the sound on those last two LP's. He was very much part of the production, since he has credits galore. However, I still think the main driving force behind the sound was Key and Ogre. Key's other material (Download, platEAU, et al) approaches more of a "techno" sound than his earlier stuff (Eyes of Stanley Pain or even III) so I think this is just the direction they decided to take the sound. Admittedly, I would love to see Return to Too Dark Park but a look back to that on an album would probably not sound anywhere near as tasty as my nostalgic fantasies.

I like the poppy sentiments that Ogre brings to the table on his solo material. WELT and sunnyPsyop are great records, but yeah .. it's not classic Puppy. If one goes in looking for that there is bound to be disappointment.

Regardless of what you think about the new albums, I would still encourage you to catch the live acts. Both projects (ohGr and Skinny Puppy) are definitely worth seeing. Where Puppy might veer toward some "oonzt oonzt" moments on the album, live they still bring the grittiness and anger. "Assimilation" live on that last tour was absolutely deadly.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Cleaner posted:

It's crazy how either Ohgr is too "poppy" or Skinny Puppy is too "brooding", the DIMD album was too dirty and the others are too happy...
I really enjoyed DIMD, and have given unDeveloped several plays and find it be equally rewarding, but in a fairly different manner.

The Cleaner posted:

The contrast between what fans desire out of Skinny Puppy and Ohgr is ridiculous.
I don't see it so much out of ohGr, but every time a new Puppy album is rumored to show up there's an inevitable outpour of "MORE LAST RIGHTS! MORE MOVIE SAMPLES! GET BACK TO BRAP! MORE GUITAR! MORE DRUGS! UGHALUGAHLUGH MAKE WEED JOKES AND THE SEQUEL TO WORLOCK!" It definitely grows tiresome.

The Cleaner posted:

the myth that Cevin didn't have the majority of control over the last to SP albums.
Yeah, that one needs to die and never be resurrected. Walk himself has refuted those accusations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I tried some of the Dead When I Found Her tracks, based on suggestions here and other places. I could never really get into it passed the surface sound. They are definitely great at what they do, but it really did nothing for me. If anything, they just made me want to go listen to the classic Puppy albums again.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I'd love to see ohGr live again to see some of this performed.

Hopefully he tours again and brings the Mr. Brownstone persona for maximum spectacle. Justin Bennet does some solid drum work, so he's always at treat to watch whether he's with puppy or ohGr.

I find the new record incredibly addicting. However, as with a lot of albums that have intros and segues, I find myself wanting to listen to it in a complete sitting. Also, and take this for what it's worth, I really only enjoy it on headphones or played Loud on a decent stereo. If I listen to it at work on my rubbish Altec-Lansing PC speakers it comes off as flat. Musically, I think there's a very interesting but definite turn in the sound after the supremely creepy "Typer." It seems like he steps away from the weirdness and dives straight into full on pop mode. "Comedown" is probably my favorite, but "pissage" I'd place toe-to-toe with any of the latter Skinny Puppy tracks.

"the smell of death from the medicine ball" ...

Kills me every single time.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

boo_radley posted:

There was Operation Beatbox which was all hip hop covers by industrial bands. Some good stuff, some ehhh.
Not much on youtube, which surprises me. Colla Destra's Wicked is pretty good, and the Society Burning track was decent, iirc. Gonna have to get it out of storage.

edit: Here, have this Clay People - Jump Around

I always enjoyed the Battery cover of "Gangsta's Paradise" off that compilation, if only for being quite far removed from the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBr2Wm7yPlw

Arguably, it's a different aesthetic than what you would come to expect from an "industrial covers" compilation. Still. Quite fun.

Was it Cleopatra that was notorious for releasing excrementable compilations of covers from bands on their roster?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

Download's cover of Download (the SP song).

Is it still a cover if guy in the cover band helped write the song they're covering?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Zaiquiri posted:

I don't know, ask Raymond Watts for covering Disobedience on the KMFDM tribute album (which, unsurprisingly, was the only good song).

That Hymns of the Worlock album was so godawful.

Agreed. Arguably, the remix album the Pups themselves put out wasn't much better. However, perhaps the Rhys Fulber and Gunter remixes were better appreciated here than in the extremely snotty puppy forum. I sort of enjoyed the Autchere remix, simply for being what it is.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Furret Basket posted:

I love the lyrics on that CD. "Obliverate"? :stare:

Bang! I am maniacal
Bang! So defiable
Obliverate dominate selfdestruct and activate
Bang! I am political
Bang! So unequivable
the name of the game is to win all the way

FLA were a lot of things, but master lyricists not so much?

I only really listen to Tactical Neural Implant, and never really had much interest for anything that came after. Sonically, it's a nice slice of early 90's dance floor stomp. Lyrically ... eh. "Mindphaser" has some cool ideas, but then that chorus hits and I always think he cribbed it from discarded Puppy sessions. :(

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Yeah. Ogre pulls off semi-nonsense lyrics in a way that seems artsy and deep in that "I guess I'm just not tuned in enough to get it" sort of way.

Bill Leeb's lyrics are straight retarded.

Ogre had a few eye rolling turns*, especially as of late. Stream of consciousness style stuff is usually scoff worthy, but he gets away with it I think when its combined with the sound sculptures those boys pulled off in their peak. I've liked the odd line here and there from the latter material, but (to me) lyrically nothing can touch that Too Dark Park and Last Rights material.

* "Assimilate" is probably one of my favorite classic Puppy tracks, and up there in favorite songs in general. However, every time I hear it I still think the "rot and assimilate/so hot to annihilate" sounds weird. I think it's just his use of hot there that makes it sound cumbersome.

And we'll not discuss his rearranging of history to afford a rhyme for Kent State (at least he corrected himself in later live recordings).

hatelull fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 1, 2011

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

If you're listening to / can understand industrial music lyrics, you're doing it wrong.

An opinion where in I absolutely and strongly disagree.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Cleaner posted:

I think it's very cool to analyze different styles of writing in industrial music, given that it's such a off the wall genre you tend to find such gems here and there that most commercial music wouldn't dare try.

This is one of thing that attracted me to the genre originally. Sure, the first Puppy I was exposed too was very much in the "creep out" vein, but then the lyrics were stream of consciousness style fare with no definite verse or chorus. You can get away with the lyrical style thanks to the song structure. Someone mentioned COIL earlier, and while they are all over the map in terms of lyrical quality they do have a few keen couplets that work pretty well. KFMDM, forever the hair metal of industrial music, have a lot of great songs that are fun to shout long with in a live setting but if you sit back and look for some deep message in "Light" you might be terribly disappointed. Having said that, "call 1 800 accept no imitations/KMFDM one world one nation" just sounds neat in an absolute juvenile way.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I agree. I don't hold near as much attachment to CD's as I would vinyl. Get it on iTunes for instant gratification. Also, I think Tactical Neural Implant is absolutely the best FLA album. Everything works.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

re: Delerium Semantic Spaces had a minor club hit in the form of "Incantation" but that album is still firmly seated in the electronica scene. If you're looking for ambient moody FLA instrumentals, then Semantic Spaces will probably be your threshold and the early stuff is what you want. Everything after Semantic Spaces careens off into goofy world music complete with Sarah Mclachalachalachlan and tribal chanting. Great if you want to host a yoga class for aging club goers. Not so keen if you are a CAT rear end now!! looking for an ideal soundtrack for conquering Finland.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

e3: Everyone in this threadEveryone who claims they like music needs to listen to this right loving now. This is quite possible the best song I have ever heard in my whole drat life.

I'll bite.

Laibach have always been a novelty for me. "Life is Life" was fun to play in the record store, and we'd throw the Black Box video on in the evenings and watch as people gaped at the "Geburt Einer Nation" video. However, I never really got further than the occasional track to throw down to either confuse or irritate in a social setting. I'm fairly confident in the fact that I like music. It is definitely a unique cover in terms of Dylan and they obviously make it their own. However, the song doesn't do that much for me, and the animation is what kept me until the end.

I guess Laibach have always been a band where the ideals and story behind the band were more interesting than their constant output of music. Maybe I'm just not Eastern Europe enough. :ohdear:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Said person works for a cab/limo/car service wherein they pick up international visitors and drive them around town or to their final destination?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

True Confession: I have never heard of Grendel.

I am now listening to "Harsh Generation" and feel like I should have some razor shades, fetish wear, and glow sticks for the event.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

gently caress you, Germans <:mad:>

Project Pitchfork - Timekiller feat. Steve Naghavi live at M'Era Luna 2011

Why didn't this happen last year at Amphi :argh:

PS. Hedenius throw me an email to tuntuva@yahoo.com sometime before the FLA gig next week so we can arrange some sick poo poo :wink:

There's just something about seeing a band like Project Pitchfork play in the middle of the day (even overcast) that just seems ... wrong. There are similar pictures of Puppy playing this same festival last year I think, and they look just as weird.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

Lucia was stupidly loving hot. So KMFDM is a little bit samey nowadays... Sascha did the right thing marrying her.

I say goddrat. Say what you want about their new direction, but I'll forever love Lucia for "Last Things." That song is the one thing I keep coming back to post Adios from them. "Superhero" is a pale second.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

zygotesix posted:

I wasn't being serious. My tastes just lie toward the older end of the spectrum - Skinny Puppy, (earlier) Nine Inch Nails, Throbbing Gristle, SPK, etc. I do like some more modern acts like Grendel and Hocico, but I never really got that far into the newer industrial, it sounds more like dance music to me.

For better or for worse, I'm placed on this team as well. However, I still enjoy the later Puppy releases and really like what ohGr is doing with his solo material. The same goes for T-Rez and his band of angry men. As far as new artists and sounds though, I can never get interested more than a cursory listen. Even with a band like KMFDM who arguably have been releasing the same LP for the past few years, I pretty much stopped with Adios, and only like one or two things from ATTAK and WWIII.

I've heard some new stuff that I enjoy (that Dryft album is really nice) and I really enjoyed the Beehatch project that Phil Western did with Spybey as well as Western's solo material but most of the new stuff that gets mentioned here (and even the new stuff from old artists sup bleeb gets much play with me. When it comes to this genre, I feel like one of those cranky old guys who pretty much stopped exploring music at a certain date and never looked back.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

His promo shots (magazine interviews, press releases, et al) are always made up and over the top. The puppy shot looks silly, but that's almost become the norm now. Would you prefer their goffy nihilistic roots instead?

I really wanna make a FO:NV character after one of those three.

It's not as if historically they have made their obsession with horror movies and campy performance art a huge secret. Having said that, the album cover is more in the line with the somewhat reserved unDeveloped album art and not really up there with the SRG's past work. Still, it's not fair to dismiss the album based solely on promo art and album cover. I'll wait until I hear it before passing judgement.

getting tired of the quirky spelling trope though, even if it implies double meanings

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Cleaner posted:

But from I've been told that track was co-created by fellow Subcon artist "Bananasloth".

Teehee! Given the real identity of the sloth, that's just down right silly.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'd pick Too Dark Park or even Cleanse, Fold, and Manipulate over The Process as well, in terms of 'classic industrial.' In addition, I'd submit the following suspects for interrogation:

Ministry - The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste ... The last proper album before they went butt metal with cookie monster vocals, this one features a who's who of golden-era Wax Trax and is absolutely worth hearing despite the unfortunate inclusion of the rap tastic failure that is "Test."

Nitzer Ebb - That Total Age ... this one has a die-hard dance floor stomper that potentially gets overplayed but the remainder of the album is an angry slab of western europe angst.

Front 242 - Front by Front ... again, though the album contains two obvious classic club anthems the deep cuts like "Work 01" and "Circling Overland" completely seal the deal for me.

COIL - Loves Secret Domain ... potentially more electronic oriented than the above, it's still an engrossing LP. COIL are extremely hit or miss for me, with a lot of their later stuff veering toward drugged up "magik meditation" wankery but this one I'd suggest simply for "The Snow."

Godflesh - Streetcleaner ... an ultra heavy slab of doom, and probably pushes the envelope for what gets qualified as "industrial" around here but an arguably classic record none the less.

Honestly, the idea of "Classic Album" for "Genre X" is horribly subjective for me. A fanatical Chemlab fan might offer up his favorite album for "classic album", and then someone else would just chime in and say it was derivative of KMFDM or NIN and that those guys should be included. I'd agree that Tactical Neural Implant is an absolute classic record, mainly because it's the only FLA album I really like. Whereas Sir Cat rear end might suggest his favorite, and that dude loves the band waaay more than me so has a solid working knowledge of their discography.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

See, I was going to toss TG into the ring as well but I figured those early records would be more aligned with "pioneer of the genre" rather than a classic album in an pre-defined flavor of music.

20 Jazz Funk Greats I think is probably their most accessible thing, (if the concept can even exist in reference to Throbbing Gristle).

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I thought for a few minutes this morning while sipping coffee here at work about including The Downward Spiral. I remember when it came out, and it was very much one of those records that we just never stopped playing in the dorm rooms. However, he already has his own thread and it was possibly a more obvious choice than the other stuff I listed so I deferred. However, I absolutely agree with your assessment. For better or for worse, that album put a huge footprint in the genre.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

Coil's not industrial :colbert:

And this is the problem with genre definitions, unless you were taking the piss. A lot of this thread talks about stuff like Covenant, VNV Nation, mind.in.a.box and a bunch of other synthy euro stuff that (to me) sounds like updated Depeche Mode remixed by edgy trance artists. Yeah, you can trace it back to what 242 was doing on their classic Wax Trax albums but still it's a huge leap. Given who was in COIL it's not a stretch for me to associate them (especially the earlier stuff) with this genre. Sure, they would eventually veer off into experimental territory but you still got "Anal Staircase" right?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

Coil's not industrial, Coil is the ritual accumulation of male sexual energy.

Admittedly, this actually made me giggle. Even more so if you double back and presume that industrial (which, aside from the fair pale maiden in a corset doing tai-chi to a Delerium/Sisters of Mercy track is mostly a sausage fest chick from KMFDM not withstanding) is the ritual accumulation of male sexual energy is COIL.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I've seen that subject come up a few times now. I'm not sure what the status is, now that both of the founding members are deceased. I would hope that a label would just start doing some re-mastering/re-releasing on the quick but I've seen nothing happening on that front. You can still absolutely get the entire discography (of which there's a fuckton) via :filez:, but it's potentially unfair to screw Threshold House out of their money hats.

update: Threshold House predictably has nothing on any plans to re-release the stuff. However, they did post a spectacularly creepy video for "Love's Secret Domain" apparently filmed in Bangkok and featuring lots of ... young boys.

http://www.thresholdhouse.com/2011/09/01/loves-secret-domain/

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Right, so just to be in the loop I youtubered that "Pong" video.

What's with the "gas mask" aesthetic? Is it some nod toward the post-apocalyptic future where only the euro-friendly Metropolis fanbase will survive the inevitable VX Gas Attack, or are they just keeping themselves jacked into the Nitrous 24/7?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Ha! Why does that fast little breakdown remind me of ohGr tracks?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I haven't listened to the samples, as I would rather wait for the real thing (or the inevitable leak). Do you mean old Download, or his later era oonzt-oonzt-oonzt Helicopter Download that pretty much blends into platEAU.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Zaiquiri posted:

I haven't even heard any download after III so nice to know it would be a waste of time.

Effector is ok, if not tame. I quite enjoyed Fixer, but it's far less abrasive as the earlier stuff. I'm not sure how to describe it actually, but he made a transition from the noisy possibly experimental sound of the early Download to druggy hyper-active electronica of the later stuff. He did a vault release called Inception - The Subconcious James 1994-1995 that was a nice mix of the older stuff reworked, so that might be worth tracking down if you're really interested.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 20, 2011

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Speaking of 'whiny' ...
not really, too dark park is one of my all time favorite things

The new Skinny Puppy leaked (briefly).

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Twiin posted:

That would make for a good online trivia game. "ICP or Combichrist?"

You pretend to be god you gently caress me in the rear end

v.

If only I could set the world on fire gently caress 'em all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

avant-garde and neo-folk side of things. So stuff like TG, Coil, and Current 93.

So, I guess you keep the Legendary Pink Dots and the Tear Garden in your play list? Not exactly Coil, but those projects go off into some fairly awesome psychedelia laced soundscapes.