Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Non Serviam posted:

The first track of the new Turmion Katilot Album "Perstechnique"
It's loving awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KryCUtfM__U "Grand Ball"

Since I keep seeing this band pop up, you guys might like Red Harvest if you haven't heard them. They're one of the few metal bands that I've seen that can actually pull off industrial style synths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZt0JWmieH0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Radio Paranoia posted:

I've always been meaning to check these guys out, but that track was rather underwhelming. The intro parts sounded like Aphex Twin and the "industrial" sound gave way to symphonic elements, which really bugged me.

Kind of the same thing that happened with Blazing War Machine.

Yeah, it's sort of dull and they're not my favorite band, but it seems like 99% of metal bands with synths use some cruddy techno or gabber sounds or cheesey power metal keyboard wanking. I think the only metal band that I've thought had good sounding electronics were the older Fear Factory albums with Rhys Fulber on them.

teethgrinder posted:

Din Fiv

I was about to post a Din_Fiv link and couldn't believe We Are wasn't up on youtube, and then I saw it posted on the first page of the thread! This is still one of my favorite electro-industrial albums of all time.

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 19, 2011

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Latis posted:

Please recommend cyberpunkish bands like Front Line Assembly

Dismantled's self-titled album is pretty much really generic middle-era FLA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqLi2l74xCk

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

hatelull posted:

The new ohGr album, unDeveloped has leaked. If you're into the darker grittier aspects of Puppy (as opposed to the smoother updated sounds they've been playing with on those last two LP's) then this album should definitely be worth checking out come May 10th.

Bleh, I hope this isn't dark stuff. The first two ohGr albums were awesome because they were really poppy music with Ogre singing over it. I never bothered picking up Devils in My Details because it sounded like he was trying to make it sound like Skinny Puppy, and if I wanted to listen to crappy Skinny Puppy I'd just listen to their newer albums.

I actually think the best new Skinny Puppy stuff are songs like Pro-Test and Optimissed, but I guess everyone bitched up a storm so they had to go back and try to retread their old stuff and try to make brappy dark industrial. I wish they'd just make a synthpop album with Ogre rapping in his cut-up processed vocals over it or something like that.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wish they had gone more in the direction of Frozen Sky than anything they ended up doing. Skinny Puppy and OhGr are indistinct to the point where you can slap the OhGr name on a Puppy album now and I think that's a loss.

Frozen Sky is so good. I don't know why cEvin Key can still put out awesome solo material and then crap out the poop that's on the new Skinny Puppy albums.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

somethingwicked posted:

Dismantled is replacing Die Krupps for the US leg of the tour.

I would like to see him live, even though I think he's kind of a douche.

Hm, I'd like to see Dismantled live. I never have caught Front Line Assembly live. Are they any good? I've always been a little bit leery after that fake Bill Leeb incident a while back.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Jose Mengelez posted:

Seems More 'synth poppy' than 'pop punky/emo' overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C4RP9TJ408

front line assemblyish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XAYm2ZH0V8

depeche mode/new orderish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs8Gn3BY7T0

hahah OK, that chorus is a little bit emo no matter how much distortion you stick over the vocals, 1 point to Arthur I guess.

Man I hope 90's radio industrial rock never becomes retro. Gotta admit I like that second track though.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

W424 posted:

This is exactly why I stopped listening in early 2000, it was either futurepop or terrorEBM. Suicide Commando/Hocico is about the worst thing to happen to any genre ever.

At least futurepop artists could branch out to make more synthpop or new wave or electroclashy sounding stuff. Where does a terror EBM band like Suicide Commando or Combichrist evolve to? Well obviously to nowhere listening to some random newer stuff by them. That stuff drove me out of listening to industrial too.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I'm actually really liking the new ohGr album. It's actually got a lot of tracks I really like, which is more than I can say about the last one, or the last couple of Skinny Puppy albums for that matter. I think my favorite track so far is Hollow. I'd love to see ohGr live again to see some of this performed.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

spider_ross.avi posted:

Best example of worst mastering:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRHn-iNfRAE

Wow, does it actually sound like that on the album? That is horrible to listen to. I like how the quiet intro part is exactly as loud as the part where the guitars bust in and start clipping to hell and back.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

Maybe if industrial hadn't shown us practically everything it had to show us by 1992 that wouldn't be the case.

Also, lots of artists work dayjobs. Marilyn Manson was working a dayjob until Antichrist Superstar came out, and I'm sure there are tons more.

Yeah, this isn't about downloading. This is about making music in a genre that's peaked drat near 20 years ago. Honestly they're lucky they've had such a devoted scene to prop them up so long. How many New Wave bands were flipping burgers in the nineties?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Death in June is doing a re-release of Nada! and have a pretty cool limited edition wooden USB edition.

http://www.pylonrecords.com/

That is my favorite DiJ release by far, and it's hard forcing myself not to buy the LPs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZVFY10Jjr0

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Uhhh, is there supposed to be something else than this annoying-rear end loop of cartoons'n poo poo? What the hell is this bro

e: also, Laibach covers Bob Dylan's Ballad of a Thin Man

:stare: holy

loving

shiiiiiiiit

this is one loving sick track.

e2: I mean holy loving poo poo bitch. Good lord. This has to be one of the best Laibach interpretations ever, and that's saying loving something.

e3: Everyone in this threadEveryone who claims they like music needs to listen to this right loving now. This is quite possible the best song I have ever heard in my whole drat life.

That's pretty bad rear end. Is that off of a new album?

And B Mashina is still the best Laibach cover. :colbert:

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The Cleaner posted:

Back in 1985, me and my electro-industrial band Volt 9000 were able to get on Toronto public access TV.

It looks a little dated but I think it's still pretty relevant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xl4wuVvfXM

Nice, more people should start using Ogre's cut up vocal rapping.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I heard the first track and though, hey this is some cool spooky ambient stuff maybe this album will be alright, and then the rest sounded like newer ohGr stuff. :( I'll still buy it though since I bought the last 29 albums. Why stop now?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Effector might not be like earlier Download album, but I think it's one of the best electronic albums that's been made. It's got some of the most organic synthesizers and pads I've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QaOhP60QaI

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Wow, I just looked up a Blood on the Dance Floor video on youtube. 1.7 million views and 10k thumbs ups. I'm officially an old man, because god drat what the gently caress kids of today.

boo_radley posted:

yeah, but if he carries it out to its logical conclusion, soon Thomas Rainer will be in der muttibunker, preparing his last will and testament. :v:

It's really odd, but there are some neofolk acts are a lot more spooky (terrifying) than anything he's done, and they manage it with just a guitar and violin.

edit: wait a minute, he was in lame immortelle, wasn't he?

Yeah, Douglas P. will be more controversial and scary putting out tracks like this than dorky guy dressing up like Hitler and pretending to beat up women ever will, which is pretty funny.

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 19, 2011

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Speaking of mind.in.a.box, does anyone know what sort of vocoder or program he uses to get the sort of female robot voice thing he does in songs like Change?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRcXVZFlSWY

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Just bought this and am on track 3 right now. It doesn't seem offensively bad or anything, but it sounds really bland and sparse to me. I don't know if it was losing Dwayne or just how modern music processing today is, but Skinny Puppy used to have some of the most organic layered synthesizers I've heard, and now everything post-Process is so sterile and tinny sounding. I mean go back and listen to something like Nature's Revenge and then try to listen to any of the newer stuff. I'll still buy anything they put out though . :\

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Overbite posted:

I could go for a new Gravity Kills album :( Heard they were going to make one and then nothing after that.

Well, I drove past a group of teenagers wearing flannel, zebra pattern pants, and dayglo today. 90s style radio industrial is sure to be retro soon enough.

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 13, 2011

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

The quality of electro-industrial shows varies greatly. VNV Nation is somehow a huge crowd pleaser, so despite it mostly being about a sweaty breathless fat man prancing around the stage singing out of key, the audience goes nuts. At least in Toronto.

They do try harder than most though, and have some nice visuals. They do a bit that's getting a little old with the "other guy" playing midi drums as a silhouette at the back of the stage.

Piles of bands do little more than dick around in Ableton and aren't at all interesting. Some have pretty great visuals. My favourites are the ones that put in a lot of live instrumentation. Apoptygma Berzerk is pretty great for that despite their lovely late career.

Some have such incredible energy. One of my favourite shows was Cesium 137 with the most ghetto set up ever. One keyboard player with a single device and one fat guy singing. Yet they were so loving fun. (and sounded outstanding.)

I feel Assemblage 23 does VNV Nation than VNV Nation, though Tom Shear looks a lot like a shorter version of Ronan.

I can't remember what band it was, but I remember hearing one guy would just hit play on the song on his laptop and then just rock out to solitaire while he pretended to be actually doing stuff.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

adamj1982 posted:

I got started in the early Puppy stuff, and never left. Raw, rhythmic, over-the-top, describe it how you will. Their live stuff is amazing.

Dig it
The Choke
Hexonxonx

Can anyone recommend bands with a similar sound? A lot of the bands mentioned prior have too much of a dance/techno sound for my taste.

Putrefy Factor 7 does a pretty OK Mind era ripoff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6WB5P7o2Y0

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The Cleaner posted:

There were lots of 90's bands that went for that 80's sound but never really went anywhere as I think many went too far in doing the SP/NIN impersonations as opposed to doing that style their own way. As far as decent newer bands?

Dead When I Found Her mentioned a few times here of course, for that late 80's industrial style (but done with very good 2010 production). Though most of it is danceable it has a 'listening' vibe, at times rock-oriented. Especially their mid-tempo stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um030N1rJs8&feature=related

Also Interlace, though dancey at times is also really dark and cold with emotion. Almost a blend of 90's and newer industrial styles, even a bit Too Dark Park-ish on their last release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bzjA7DVnZo&feature=related

No Skinny Puppy ripoff band ever uses the funky FM synthesized slap bass sound, which is the best part of 80's Skuppy, so they all pretty much suck. :colbert:

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The worst part about Orgy's Blue Monday cover back in the day was everyone thinking New Order's version was an Orgy cover.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I want to make a mix of nothing but industrial sample collages. So far I have:

Greater than One - Now Is the Time
KMFDM - We Must Awaken
Bigod 20 - America

Does anyone know any others?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

I agree with every word of this.

I DID hear a pretty entertaining electronic cover of "Spiritual Cramp" by Christian Death, but in general, covering old new wave/goth/synthpop stuff should probably be left to Nouvelle Vague.

If people are going to cover a track, especially a good track, they should at least rework the thing. Don't just recreate the parts on your crappy VA synth. Which is why the Apoptygma Berzerk cover of Fade to Black is rad.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Armor-Piercing posted:

Really? I'd already listened to Remember too many times by the time the album was released but I still love it, and Doubt and Unknown are personal favorites. I'm actually a little bit disappointed that he sang naturally so much on the album though. His voice is fantastic, but mixing it together works really well.

Will give this album a shot, but not looking too forward to a lot of m.i.a.b. sans vocoder. The vocoded vocals are probably 90% of the reason I like them.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

spider_ross.avi posted:

Found this on a late night youtube run. Thought I'd share it here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NaxPjA7tYQ
Industrial metal terminator style.

I don't even know what the hell is going on there, but that's pretty awesome.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Speaking of KMFDM, does anyone remember the original track order of Adios that was scrapped? I remember it being posted when the album came out and it being way better than the finalized track order, but not much else. The first track was D.I.Y., and the last track was That's All I think.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Twiin posted:

well I was but you know those weekend warriors

I think some of my favourite people at my local industrial night were dorks. I don't know. I mean everyone's a dork. It's just some people wear it differently.

My old boss told me a story of how he went to a goth bar once and was super intimidated by all these people with lipstick and makeup and corsets, until he went to get a drink and heard the hardcore looking vampires next to him arguing about which version of Adobe Photoshop was better.

I remember I was at an industrial festival at a small club once, and a bunch of people were mingling on the sidewalk out front. Not enough to crowd the sidewalk and there was plenty of room. I just kept watching people coming down the street cross the other side, pass the club while sort of sideway glancing, and then cross back over after they were past. I found it pretty amusing because we were probably the dorkiest gathering of people around outside of a comic book convention or something.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Thinking about how small the whole industrial scene has gotten, it's a shame how much really beautiful music is just going to be completely lost to time in 50 years. I can't imagine there are going to be Lusine ICL mp3s floating around in my grandkids' times, or that you'll be able to find a copy of Escape to Reality anywhere. I know it's true with all types of music, but a lot of the time now it seems like I'm the only one listening to some of my favorite records. There are some real gems that have come out of this whole thing.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

chime_on posted:

Someone's always going to rescue and dig up music at a later date, though-- even if they're re-contextualizing it or presenting it to an altogether different target audience as some exotic artifact.

Case in point: one of the hipper British techno labels just put out a vinyl edition of material by mid-90s Fifth Colvumn artists Black Rain. They essentially stripped all the tracks with vocals from their 1995 album 1.0, resenquenced the instrumental stuff, put a new cover on it, and hyped it as this lost classic of dark techno. That poo poo sold out in like 2 days, and now Black Rain are a "thing" again.

Wow, never heard Black Rain before. Just listened to a couple tracks and ordered an old copy of 1.0. Pretty awesome stuff.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

hatelull posted:

New live album from Skinny Puppy.

+: It's golden age Puppy, with no "Pedafly" or "Pro-Test" to muck up the mix.
-: It's a live album.
+: With Marshall behind the boards, it will probably sound pretty tasty.
-: It's a live album.

multiple e: awesome tagging on my part.

I will buy this because I am already 30 albums deep, but not too excited. :smith:

edit: You know what's an awesome Skuppy live album? The Fractal Zoom bootleg. It sounds like the whole thing was sped up to fit it on a tape or something, so you get to here really fast versions of Smothered Hope and Assimilate and the such which are pretty rad.

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 16, 2012

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Wait, I thought The Last Sucker was supposed to be their last sendoff? Yea, I know bands say that all the time, but I thought it was a great way to end it. Did they bring the drum machine back for this new one? I honestly couldn't care less about Ministry's metal period, but I'm pretty excited if this is more like The Last Sucker. Is Al going to support this with a tour?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Wow, never knew Shotgun Messiah was this good. Only thing I knew of them before were the ridiculous Skold pictures that were going around when he joined KMFDM.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG7P6NX8yyE

edit: the video is tame by current standards, and frankly doesn't bother me personally (but features plenty of done-to-death-cliche-hot-girls-in-video poo poo: holy crap girls kissing!!!!). But the blonde dancer is stunning.

But the music is just the most insipid poo poo imaginable. It's like they took every single horrible pop music cliche ... auto-tune, featuring guy with a bit of rap, using internet slang/spelling, etc. and inserted it into an electro song.

I finally feel the pain of the Industrial Records fans internet argument brigade.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Quote My rear end posted:

Hey guys, great thread. Awesome vid, Twiin. 9000volt, your stuff is cool.

I know this is mostly an edm/electro industrial thread, but was wondering if anyone had recommendations for bands that were more of the machine rock type of industrial. The closest bands that have been mentioned are ones like kmfdm, NIN and a while back, Ohgr.

These are probably my three favorite industrial bands that haven't been brought up in the thread. They also serve as great examples of what I'm looking for more of:
16volt - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSJ2Cj8uky0
Sister Machine Gun - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yy4Mh9BCeU
Hansel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI6f9j_zZ_Y Hansel is almost completely unknown, but an amazing lyricist, if you're into introspective, existential philosophical thought that strives to push the boundaries of self-consciousness. His music is just as experimental as his lyrics.

You've probably heard all these, but I'll just toss them out in case you haven't.

Chemlab
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlbRWWUNXxo
Classic 90's style industrial. Man, there are barely any chemlab vids or views on youtube which is kind of weird to me.

Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnY63APl_6c
One of J.G. Thirwell's Foetus spinoffs. Nail is an amazing album.

Pig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3M15qseFvs
The band of old KMFDM collaborator Raymond Watts.

Bile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isziEorHBRc
I don't really have anything meaningful to say about Bile except their albums were kind of a bitch to find back in the day, though I'm sure it's not a problem now.

Also couldn't find anything by them on youtube, but might check out the Psychopomps album Six Six Six Nights in Hell.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Too Dark Park is overrated. The best Skinny Puppy album is clearly Rabies. :colbert:

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Sloppy posted:

In other news, Grendel has their own energy drink! :psyduck:

http://www.infrarot.de/grendel/timewave-zero-energy-drink/2011354

:wumpscut: did it first.

I picked up Skinny Puppy's new live album today. Coming from someone who doesn't like most live albums, it's uh, pretty much what I expected. About half the tracks Ogre seems like he's just singing over a ripped album instrumental track. The other half of the tracks feel more like they are being played, but none of them really mix up the songs too much. I think it's definitely a better live album than Doomsday though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I really dig live industrial albums for some reason. It's the whole transition to a live performance for me I suppose. I've always enjoyed the old Ministry (before they became a thrash band) bootlegs too. KMFDM w/ PIG Sturm & Drang live album from the 2002 tour was a gem for me. I still have the audio of the Greater Wrong of the Right LIVE DVD as well.

I picked up Bootlegged, Broke, and In Solvent Seas album too. Already listened to it 3 times and have enjoyed it immensely. Can anyone recommend some other know live performances from other industrial artist of a similar vein?

I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but if you can find a copy of the Skinny Puppy bootleg live album Fractal Zoom, it's pretty awesome. There aren't any crowd sounds or anything mixed in because it is a straight rip from the mixing board of one of their older shows, but all the tracks have a lot of energy. Also, it sounds like the whole thing was sped up to fit it on a tape or something, so every song has a really fast tempo.

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 16, 2012