Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Ende
Nov 21, 2005
YOU MAY HAVE TROUBLE REACHING DAS ENDE OF MY POSTS
:words:

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Anyway, I can't say those seven years of waiting didn't pay off :allears:

They are incapable of bad shows. I was lucky enough to have my first Laibach show be at the tail end of the Anthems tour, where they did all their hits, and Dejan Knez was still with them. Great stuff.

I've seen the Laibach Revisited material done a few times now, and it's really incredible. Can't wait for the album. Was supposed to be done last year.

Anyway, I'm jealous too. They were supposed to be here in Hamburg last week, but it was cancelled because of poor sales. And I'm not just being defensive because they're my favorite band, but I'm pretty sure there was just no promotion. I only knew about the show at all because I was put on the guest list. It wasn't even on the website until the last minute. Oh well....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Ende
Nov 21, 2005

Also. Public announcement.

The last track on their main setlist was an all-new song, as far as I know my Laibach. Let's just... let's just say that it kicked so much fuckin rear end holy poo poo

I got chills reading that sweary bit. I've been watching the Helsinki vids (B Mashina holy poo poo) and I can't wait for Berlin Tuesday.

Spoil me, man. What's the new track like? New direction again, or does it remind you to any of their other stuff?

I know what you mean about having had enough of Tanz mit Laibach live, but the reaction is always great. Personally, I think they could trade that out and keep Das Spiel ist aus, which always gives the band more improv opportunities.

After 30 years, they may very well be better than they've ever been...

Das Ende
Nov 21, 2005

It appears that it wasn't a Laibach original after all - it was apparently a cover of Serge Gainsbourg's song Love on the Beat instead. The direction... Hmm. Imagine the kind of synth sounds and programming heard in Ballad of a Thin Man and add in just a touch of the Laibach Revisited sound we've already heard live, and I'd say you have a pretty good picture of it. It definitely sounded 100% like Laibach, but they've once again done what they do best and completely recreated their sound like they've done so many times. Hope to hear some more opinions on it once other people here get to catch it live!

I'd also dig Das Spiel ist aus more than Tanz mit Laibach. I just can't get over how menacing the last chorus with the male choirs in the live version (and the alternative version found on the DSIA single) is :allears:

Hm, okay... Well, between that, Ballad of a Thin Man, and Warm Leatherette, maybe they're going cover-heavy on the new album? Ivan Novak told me they were doing a proper new album in January last year (I don't know him, I'm just an annoying nerd fan that bothered him at the bar for a few minutes), so they must be getting somewhere with that by now, surely.

DSIA should be done at every show. It's got the beats, but also the dissonant orchestral bits, and again, each performance is very different. Though the live version on the single is still my favorite. But some aspects have only got better ever since Milan decided before the Volk tour to start acting a bit like a rock star....

Das Ende
Nov 21, 2005
Saw Laibach's We Come in Peace tour in Berlin last night and was blown away. I've seen them nine times now, and this was easily the best. Songs from every era modernized, and with a great deal more live instrumentation than you can expect from most groups in the genre.

Beyond that, they did a 24-song set, playing the setlist from Helsinki, but adding Final Countdown, Geburt einer Nation, and Das Spiel ist aus. If they come within six hours of you, I strongly recommend going.

Das Ende
Nov 21, 2005

gently caress off

No but seriously, that's awesome. You're missing a couple of songs there, though, as they played 19 songs in Helsinki. What did you think of Love on the Beat (if they played that)?

Thought Love on the Beat was great. I got sucked into the beat pretty quickly, and it really seemed like something different for them. I do think that LotB, Warme Lederhaut, and Ballad of a Thin Man all sound like they belong together. Really hope that has something to do with an forthcoming album....

Anyway, here's the setlist from Berlin. I stole a copy from the stage and got Ivan to sign it too. :-D

Boji
Bodocnost
Smrt za Smrt
Brat Moj
Ti, Ki Izzivas
Drzava
Die Liebe
Leben-Tod
Le Privilege des Morts
(intermission)
Across the Universe
Take Me to Heaven
Final Countdown
B Mashina
America
Under the Iron Sky
Tanz mit Laibach
Alle gegen alle
Du bist unser
Warme Lederhaut
Love on the Beat

Leben heißt Leben
Geburt einer Nation
Ballad of a Thin Man

Das Spiel ist aus

Some funny bits too. I'm sure Milan read from that "Kapital" book at your show? Odd. They also did an intermission, and had a robot voice announce it. Odder still was that after "Love on the Beat", the robot voice told us that if we clap enough they'll do an encore. Laibach is so weird.

Das Ende
Nov 21, 2005

Really jealous of all that extra tracks you got to hear! The perils of seeing one of the first shows, I guess. We didn't have the robot voice, either. I wish a live video of Love on the Beat would surface on YouTube or something, I loving loved it live and want to see if it was as awesome as I remember it being.

Well, I definitely liked LotB, but it wasn't a standout for me or anything. I was really impressed with Leben heißt Leben. I know it's an old song, but the new version is different enough to be like new. I guess from a certain perspective, Laibach is being a bit hacky, but I actually like the way they're sort of covering themselves at this point.

They used NATO video pictures on the JC Superstars album packaging, and covered Brat Moj. Then on WAT, they recycled lyrics from Kapital on Das Spiel ist aus, and were generally very self-referential. On Volk they reused a big piece of Satanic Versus on America and of course covered The Great Seal on NSK. But it all sounds fresh. And I really love how they're using Mina live, juxtaposed against Milan. I'm hoping she plays a big part on the new material....

By the way, forget being jealous of me. Apparently the show at Tate Modern is going to be three hours long... :-o

Das Ende
Nov 21, 2005
For those two other Laibach fans up there:

Aside from the Iron Sky soundtrack (which is okay...worth it as a fan for the new version of B Mashina and a couple other tracks, but is really a collection of one minute bits of the score with way too many samples from the movie), Laibach Revisted, the reimagining of their first album, should be done this month. And apparently they're releasing something called An Introduction To... Laibach / Reproduction Prohibited, which is apparently a new covers album that will include Ballad of a Thin Man and Warme Lederhaut. And presumably Love on the Beat...

EDIT: Bah. Apparently it's a collection of their greatest covers, and Thin Man and Lederhaut might be the only new tracks. :bang:

Das Ende fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 9, 2012

Das Ende
Nov 21, 2005

Furret Basket posted:

Holy crap you guys tomorrow I'm going to see Laibach in Manchester. I'm shaking with excitement.

As you should be. It will be a good-rear end show. But I don't necessarily recommend the Iron Sky movie they're currently attached to....

Das Ende
Nov 21, 2005

Furret Basket posted:

The venue was pretty terrible, far too small for Laibach, and the crowd was sadly small. And oh the crowd, the crowd pretty much ruined the entire thing. A group of them constantly kept talking loudly which I felt was incredibly disrespectful, and then during Tanz Mit Laibach and Alle Gegen Alle they decided it was a great idea to start a mosh pit in an already small venue. One guy managed to pull me down to the floor even though I didn't want anything to do with it. Very much ruined Alle Gegen Alle which I found rather upsetting.

They usually have about a dozen assholes show up who apparently are willing to pay €25 just for Tanz mit Laibach. The Volk tour was a bit rough, as they played the entirety of that rather quiet album, and some people just waited for the encore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Ende
Nov 21, 2005

what I'm saying is this a loving sweet rear end year for Laibach fans

e: I also can't stop posting about Laibach???

You are doing the work of the Immanent Consistent Spirit. #

loving great that the Tate show will be recorded. I already have the Volk tour CD, which is pretty great(Although they hosed up Slovania...Milan has his talents, but he's not actually a musical guy and tends to come in at the wrong time occasionally). This Tate Modern show, from what I'm hearing, will be something for every Laibach fan, and most every industrial fan.