Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Always chuckle to think about how the actions at the end of the 10th book confuse a subset of readers. Real 'have you been reading on autopilot?' moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Which actions? There’s so drat many.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah it's easy to get stuck in the head of your favorite characters. The whole poo poo just happens and at the end only one person actually wrote the book and they are the fallen.

It ends well.

TGG fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 24, 2024

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

VERY BIG SPOILERS FOR THE 10TH BOOK GUYS DON'T HOVER

Duhhhh why did Cotillion KILL The Cripple God guys?????

Hmmmmm

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

It’s not that confusing to me but I could definitely see someone being too deep in the forest to see the trees.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Still early in Memories of Ice, but SteveE really pulled a "she looks like a child but has the soul of a 100,000-year-old goddess" :chloe:

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

pik_d posted:

Still early in Memories of Ice, but SteveE really pulled a "she looks like a child but has the soul of a 100,000-year-old goddess" :chloe:

I mean yes but not in the weird anime way where he shows her panties all the time so I think it's a lot less gross.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
It also doesn't last that long

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Yeah she grows up quick

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
It isn't great. Not going to debate if this or her walking corpse form would be less appropriate to romance. But at least... moderate spoiler she hasn't shown up again as of book 8.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Memories of Ice up to Chapter 6 (or Book 3: Book 1, if you will)

lmao there's dinosaurs with blades for arms. Dinoswords, if you will.

Paran going fully unwilling... Ascendant or whatever Master of the Deck is is really interesting. I'm also glad that everyone seems to be aware of it. Some other series I've read (WoT, the Cosmere) would have everyone in the dark for way too long. I do like how there was a meeting of the minds going on, then Paran teleports into the middle of them to have a very public headache or whatever it looked like to them. His whole family is not having a good time.

And as much as I had some issues with Silverfox earlier, "Uncle Whiskeyjack" is adorable. Someone needs to blast Kallor into outer space though. gently caress that guy.

As much as I like Toc the Younger still being alive, and as much fun as him and Envy are, he better watch out because she'll eat him up. She's clearly only Team Lady Envy.

(WoT books 2/3) Envy has HUGE Selene/Lanfear vibes for me, and therefore I love her immediately.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

pik_d posted:

Memories of Ice up to Chapter 6 (or Book 3: Book 1, if you will)

As much as I like Toc the Younger still being alive, and as much fun as him and Envy are, he better watch out because she'll eat him up. She's clearly only Team Lady Envy.

How do you feel about the rest of their crew?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
I can't remember if its MoI or a later book but at one Paran has a conversation with Apsalar about some kinda plague and it's something like this is going to be really bad...for other people without godlike powers or otherwise superhuman abilities, so pretty much not me or anyone else I know. oh well!

It's a little meta textual but it always makes me laugh to think about

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Man with Hat posted:

How do you feel about the rest of their crew?

MoI Ch6
Not much in the way of strong feelings. Tool is Tool, badass but I don't think I've seen the best of him yet. The dogs are good dogs, of course. And the Seguleh haven't said enough to really help me. They'll obviously be a force to be reckoned with at some point, but these three are quite boring right now.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I always liked that bit of Malazan that just acknowledges that there is a bit of the world that can just Ascend into being magic immortals simply by being badass.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
For me the Sugeleh were just the scene in the Simpsons where Himer really wanted to watch to fight to see the cool stuff the yakuza just standing there were going to do. I get they have more of the spotlight is Esselmont's books, but....

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Just like every cool plot thread that gets picked up by the ICE books you’ll sure wish they hadn’t!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Look, if you're not willing to simp for Lady Envy then I don't even know why you're online.
No-one's going to make use of your skills and attributes in the same way that milady does and if you think otherwise then you're just deluded.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 30, 2024

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I've finished Memories of Ice :toot:

This book was really weird, the siege of Capustan felt like it could have been the climax to its own book, but then it was over, and a few of the chapters after it felt like wrapping up chapters and then there was still 40% of a book left.

Given that I can read what some of the later books are called, it finally feels like I know where things are going for the series, not just the individual books. The Crippled God being the big bad seems interesting, especially since the Jaghut's warren at the end only slowing his efforts, not stopping them.

Paran has also accepted his status as Master of the Deck it seems, which is good. I have to admit, when Whiskeyjack died I didn't really have any huge feelings over it after Baudin came back as the Knight of High House Death very recently. I was pretty set on something like that happening to Whiskeyjack too until the very end when Paran gave his blessing to him and those others entombed with him. I don't know what that'll do but it's definitely something to look forward to.

Of all the twists in this book, the one I did call on my read was Toc getting shoved in Anaster's body, though I didn't put together that they had both lost an eye. I also figured one of the mages would Soulshift him into the husk instead of whatever happened where he just woke up in the body. Some Ascendant or god did basically the same thing though.

I'm glad all the Ay and Imass are free from their pain or immortal bodies or whatever, I was worried that Itkovian would take their pain and then they'd just pass through Hoods gate. The ending of this book really has shoved everyone in different directions, from the T'lan Imass going to help their people on some other island, the handful of Bridgeburners hanging out with Duiker in Darujhstan, Silverfox... doing whatever, the Mott Irregulars seem like they could be the next company to follow, and of course Kalam and the others from Book 2 who didn't die.

Still waiting on that Paran family reunion.

Good book overall, a good mix of heartbreak, small victories, and a sense of direction for the next 7 books probably made this my favorite of the three so far.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Just finished Reaper's Gale. It took me awhile to get through the first chunk of the book and then I blitzed through the last 300 or so pages today. I think Tavore's Unwitnessed speech might've been one of the high points of the series so far for me. Pretty much everything after the Malazan ships start burning off the coastline was excellent. Hellian drinking her way through a revolution, Beak's sacrifice, blowing up ascended dragon elves, karsa being karsa, so many great moments in the last like 40% of this book. Maybe the stuff with the Awl will be important later on but it kinda felt like we didn't need an entire plotline dedicated to the deconstruction of the returning hero myth. Overall I give it like a 4/5.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Reaper's Gale is great because it's basically the fantasy version of Generation Kill.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I'm reading RG to the wife at the moment and at first I was like, oh god yeah the Redmask stuff, and more arsehole Letherii bureaucrats - great. But I am enjoying it a little more this time round, knowing how it leads into Icarium mechanism stuff, plus anything is made better by the presence of Tehol and Bugg. Plus the latter part of the book is amazing - very much looking forward to that, as per srypher's post.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

One of my favorite elements of RG is how much of it Erikson spends just playing around in the anthropology sandbox he left himself at the end of MT, jumping from place to place and exploring how his fused empire is amplifying the worst elements of its two clashing cultures, and then bringing in a third empire to gently caress things up even more.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I'm just about done with House of Chains, very glad about Bidithal choking on his own cock and getting demon sex violenced for all eternity in the hereafter.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Forgot to post about this earlier, 2/3 of book 9 spoilers: it sucks what happened to all the Barghast, but I have to admire how the battle was deftly written not to answer the question of which side would have won. I probably would have been happier if hobbling remained just a threat. Also I love Sunshine and will be sad when his man in the street perspective is lost. I'm glad Icarium's Wizard of Oz/D&D interludes have stopped beating around the bush.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
Just read Esslemont's latest, and am convinced that his stuff is just fanfic and definitely not canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

The Ninth Layer posted:

One of my favorite elements of RG is how much of it Erikson spends just playing around in the anthropology sandbox he left himself at the end of MT, jumping from place to place and exploring how his fused empire is amplifying the worst elements of its two clashing cultures, and then bringing in a third empire to gently caress things up even more.

Yeah this owns and I'm enjoying the early parts of RG more on my re-read, knowing this. Also in Book 2 there is the excitement factor of Icarium and Karsa arriving to take the Rhulad Challenge. Then the Bonehunters arrive and it's fun as hell.

Wondering if I will enjoy all the Dying God stuff more on a re-read when I get to TTH. That definitely dragged a bit for me first time round.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 19, 2024