Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Nearly finished Bonehunters in my wife-read. She's loving it.

She rather likes the Crimson Guard, and although we have decided to skip the Esselmont books, she has asked for us to include RotCG in our plans. So we'd do Reaper's Gale next, then RotCG, then the last three Erikson books.

I'm a bit torn... on the one hand, the book is a bit meh from my recollection, she has no knowledge of the Esselmont-specific characters, plus it delays us getting to the fantastic series end (and I'd quite like to actually finish the series at some point and maybe read her WoT afterwards... and I'm not getting any younger).

On the other hand, the Crimson Guard are pretty cool, it would make her happy, it contains stuff with Traveller, which is pretty nice world-building stuff relevant to the main books, plus it would circumvent the weirdness of Laseen's death happening outside the main books.

I agree with including RotCG in the reading solely for Laseen, though I have to say that the payoff with Traveller is drat disappointing. After all that buildup you get like a single page not-fight and then he's left shaking his fist in the air and wandering again. It was easily the biggest letdown in a book chock full of letdowns. Still think it's worth reading between RG and TTH though, if only for the aforementioned spoiler. Plus it's not super long in comparison to the main series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at. Plus, if she specifically wants it, I'm not going to say no.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
If I remember correctly it was the least bad of the ICE books I read. Just loving LOL at “Kyle” though. Can’t wait for Chad and Michael to show up.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Cryptozoology posted:

Toll the Hounds has a fuckton of certified original gangster Kallor the High King, slaps therefore.

The whole Kallor death march poo poo was loving metal as hell. KALLOR

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Laseen is barely a character in the Erikson books, only 'appearing' in book 2 iirc. I really hated ROTCG and don't understand reading it for Laseen in particular, but whatever floats your boat.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Turpitude posted:

Laseen is barely a character in the Erikson books, only 'appearing' in book 2 iirc. I really hated ROTCG and don't understand reading it for Laseen in particular, but whatever floats your boat.

Same reason as wanting to read more Crimson Guard.

SE makes these things seem cool, and the reality of ICE's writing doesn't live up.

Iron Bars is 5x as cool in SE's brief mention than he is as a main character.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010

TGG posted:

The whole Kallor death march poo poo was loving metal as hell. KALLOR

Toll The Hounds posted:

A shrill, spattering gasp erupted from the Soletaken, and all at once they were plunging earthward.

The impact was thunder and snapping bones. The High King was flung away, tumbling and skidding along dew-soaked grass. He gained his feet and spun to face the dragon.

It had sembled. Orfantal, on his face an expression of bemused surprise, was struggling to stand. One arm was broken. Blood gushed down from his neck. He seemed to have forgotten Kallor, as he turned in the direction of the road, and slowly walked away.

Kallor watched.

Orfantal managed a dozen steps before he fell to the ground.

It seemed this was a night for killing Tiste Andii.

His shoulders were on fire from the dragon's puncture wounds, which might well have proved fatal to most others, but Kallor was not like most others. Indeed, the High King was unique.

In his ferocity. In his stubborn will to live.

In the dry furnace heat of the hatred that ever swirled around him.

He set out once more for the city.

As dawn finally parted the night.

Kallor.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The fight between Kallor and Spinnock might be my favorite one in the series.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010

Khizan posted:

The fight between Kallor and Spinnock might be my favorite one in the series.

That duel does go incredibly hard. I don't know if it's just cause we're talkin Toll The Hounds, but for me it's (end of book spoilers) Anomander Rake vs Dassem Ultor .

Second entry for favorite fight is every time someone underestimates their opponent and gets completely dogwalked, usually with facefulls of high explosives

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Turpitude posted:

I think she is also in Bonehunters for that conversation with Tavore.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
She's also in literally the first scene in the series talking with Whiskeyjack and Ganoes on the balcony as well as I think a couple of other scenes throughout.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Kill Dozed posted:

I think she is also in Bonehunters for that conversation with Tavore.

Which spawned a bunch of fan theories about them being in cahoots the whole time

They weren't. Tavore would have died without Apsalar pulling off the deadliest Shadow Dance of all time and splatting 300 Claws. Even if Laseen knew about Apsalar being there and being nominally on Tavore's side, there's no way she could have known that Apsalar would be deadlier than loving Dancer.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

There sure are lots of cool battles in this series. Yedan Derryg collecting heads.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
The Watch is so good; for all the credit Sanderson gets for having awesome fight finales, Erikson has some crushers.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

kingturnip posted:

Which spawned a bunch of fan theories about them being in cahoots the whole time

They weren't. Tavore would have died without Apsalar pulling off the deadliest Shadow Dance of all time and splatting 300 Claws. Even if Laseen knew about Apsalar being there and being nominally on Tavore's side, there's no way she could have known that Apsalar would be deadlier than loving Dancer.

I do really like Erikson's style of having these big, important figures who drive a lot of the plot still being at quite a distance from the action on the page. He does a good job of slowly drip feeding you information that changes how you feel about them. Laseen is probably a distant third behind Tavore and Anomander in that regard though.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I've just started reading this series, after going through The Wheel of Time and then all of the Cosmere, so I guess I needed another mega series after those two. I picked up the 10 main books from the Humble Bundle a few months ago, and I plan to read through those before the other in-universe series.

I've only read two chapters of Gardens of the Moon, but so far Ganoes is a bit of a little poo poo. Seems like he's lacking a bit of self preservation and is pretty OK with picking dumb fights with everyone who shows up.

Tattersail on the other hand, had a terrible horrible no good very bad day. She got sent on a suicide mission, lost her boyfriend, and is now teaming up with the office dickhead who is also now a puppet???

I haven't quite figured out if I'm expected to like the Empress. She remembers a weird little meeting with Ganoes from like seven years ago, humanizing her, but also she's cool with a pogrom of any magic users that aren't under her control which is probably not great.

Overall interesting so far, curious to see where it's going, especially since I've already had two timeskips early on.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Welcome! It’s a wonderful and confusing series! Don’t feel bad if you don’t know what is going on it eventually starts to make more sense (while still being obscure in other ways).

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Years and years ago, I had made it all the way to about halfway through Toll the Hounds before giving up and moving onto something else.

Last year I started again from the beginning, and just finished Memories of Ice. It's still my favorite by far. It kicks so much rear end. I love it. Whiskeyjack is such a doofy Fiveaces name for your important cool guy.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

The names were a turnoff for me too. Especially Whiskeyjack but at some point I just decided they were cool and it turns out I was right to change my mind because now I think the names of the characters are one of the most fun aspects of the series.

edit:Like, Iron Bars is such a stupid name on its own merit but it’s a loving badass name for that character.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

imagine dungeons posted:

The names were a turnoff for me too. Especially Whiskeyjack but at some point I just decided they were cool and it turns out I was right to change my mind because now I think the names of the characters are one of the most fun aspects of the series.

edit:Like, Iron Bars is such a stupid name on its own merit but it’s a loving badass name for that character.

Whiskeyjack is an explicit reference to a North American indigenous legend, I believe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_jay

Keeping in mind, SE is Canadian.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 20, 2024

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

pik_d posted:

I've just started reading this series, after going through The Wheel of Time and then all of the Cosmere, so I guess I needed another mega series after those two. I picked up the 10 main books from the Humble Bundle a few months ago, and I plan to read through those before the other in-universe series.

I've only read two chapters of Gardens of the Moon, but so far Ganoes is a bit of a little poo poo. Seems like he's lacking a bit of self preservation and is pretty OK with picking dumb fights with everyone who shows up.

Tattersail on the other hand, had a terrible horrible no good very bad day. She got sent on a suicide mission, lost her boyfriend, and is now teaming up with the office dickhead who is also now a puppet???

I haven't quite figured out if I'm expected to like the Empress. She remembers a weird little meeting with Ganoes from like seven years ago, humanizing her, but also she's cool with a pogrom of any magic users that aren't under her control which is probably not great.

Overall interesting so far, curious to see where it's going, especially since I've already had two timeskips early on.

I love these first views so much. It is so difficult to think back on how I felt about anything on my first read of the books as I've read the drat things twice now.

Get ready for a ride. Everything has at least a little bit of meaning, even if it doesn't pay off for 6 books. When you get the reference, it turns out you were wrong until it turns out the character who referenced it was lying and you might be right!

This is not the Cosmere. Sanderson and Erikson are casual friends and as Sanderson has said to me, they have completely different approaches. Erikson writes everything from an archaeological prospective and assumes no "true" view. Sanderson has a bit of a "math" to his stuff and has it laid out like a game of Magic. Dig in for Malazan; because Gardens of the Moon is going to feel quite removed from the rest of what you read. Realize that the series is going to be dense for the characters as well. No matter how you view Gardens, I think Deadhouse Gates is an all time fantasy novel. This is a series where you can just start with book 4 or 5 and do whatever. It is insane and just roll with it.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

pik_d posted:

Welcome. Hope to see more posts as you go on through, it's one hell of a ride and it's always fun to see people's thoughts and theories as they go along. If (when) you feel lost, just know that eventually you'll understand enough and if that's not enough for you asking here is a much safer bet than googling things. I have heard of way too many people getting spoiled by the wiki for this.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Book 7 down.

apology for poor ehrlitan

when were you when letheras dies?

i was sat at home eating sebar jam when karsa ring

‘rhulad is kill’

‘no’

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I kinda hate how these books are divided. So I'm reading book 1 of Malazan Book of the Fallen, but within this book, which I can confirm is a single book, I have just finished "Book 2: Darujhistan". Just call it "Part 2" like a normal person.

(Gardens of the Moon, up to chapter 7)
Anyway, I hope all these Councilmen/women have a very swift death so I don't have to read about political intrigue and the massive amounts of adultery they're all committing. Do me a solid, Empress.

Is Kruppe OK? He's got weird dreams in which sometimes Elder Gods visit him, narrates his own life, and seems to live to be annoying to everyone around him. He's got more going on though, lying to the horny boy about his coin, while making a very quick wax replica of it to show to Baruk.

Baruk almost seems too nonchalant about being visited by a Giant Raven and her dark elf moonlord. Maybe he just decided to accept whatever happened since Anomander Rake seems extremely powerful, but I think most people would be wowed a bit more.

The Oponn twins are definitely making a lot of moves right now, saving Crokus the horny lad... a rich girls boobs and had a change of "heart", adding to an already long list of characters who have heard the spinning coin.

At least this "book" is over, and all the Pale refugees are arriving, and probably the Bridgeburners with them.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

pik_d posted:

I kinda hate how these books are divided. So I'm reading book 1 of Malazan Book of the Fallen, but within this book, which I can confirm is a single book, I have just finished "Book 2: Darujhistan". Just call it "Part 2" like a normal person.

(Gardens of the Moon, up to chapter 7)
Anyway, I hope all these Councilmen/women have a very swift death so I don't have to read about political intrigue and the massive amounts of adultery they're all committing. Do me a solid, Empress.

Is Kruppe OK? He's got weird dreams in which sometimes Elder Gods visit him, narrates his own life, and seems to live to be annoying to everyone around him. He's got more going on though, lying to the horny boy about his coin, while making a very quick wax replica of it to show to Baruk.

Baruk almost seems too nonchalant about being visited by a Giant Raven and her dark elf moonlord. Maybe he just decided to accept whatever happened since Anomander Rake seems extremely powerful, but I think most people would be wowed a bit more.

The Oponn twins are definitely making a lot of moves right now, saving Crokus the horny lad... a rich girls boobs and had a change of "heart", adding to an already long list of characters who have heard the spinning coin.

At least this "book" is over, and all the Pale refugees are arriving, and probably the Bridgeburners with them.

Would you say you liked Book 1 more than Book 2 of GotM?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm with them there. Darujhistan ruins everything, definitely my least favorite place to visit in the books.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Man with Hat posted:

Would you say you liked Book 1 more than Book 2 of GotM?

I guess so, there was some good stuff in Book 2 of Book 1 of course, I still feel like both Books were introductory for Book 1's overall story, so I'm looking forward to reading Books 3-7 of Book 1.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Kruppeis probably the most okay person in the series.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guyver posted:

Kruppeis probably the most okay person in the series.

Which is admittedly an extremely low bar to clear.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Darujhistan was the most boring part of the first book for me and almost made me put it down. The second book, Deadhouse Gates, I couldn't put down and I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the books, it's definitely my favorite series.

Gardens of the Moon is worth getting through to get to the much better follow on books.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I didn't think I was gonna find an author worse at writing romance than Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson this quickly, but hell,

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I tried and failed twice to get past the first two parts of GotM, the first time around page 50 or so where I had no idea what was happening and the second time early in Darujhistan when the new cast of characters was introduced.

Once the bridge burners got to Darujhistan the book really started coming together for me and I didn't stop reading until basically the end of Crippled God the second time round.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Kruppe's great, but perhaps only on a reread, once you get what he's about.

Or maybe not.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Jaxyon posted:

Kruppe's great, but perhaps only on a reread, once you get what he's about.

Or maybe not.

He was great from the word go for me. His intro is amazing

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
??? Darujhistan is great in my opinion. And Kruppe has his ups and downs but the scene where his motivation(s) are laid out is perfect.

Toll the Hounds has found time to be mad about literally anything other than the criticism of previous works in the series, hopefully it keeps it up.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Toll The Hounds posted:

To drive children into labour is to slaughter artists, to scour deathly all wonder, the flickering dart of imagination eager as finches flitting from branch to branch - all crunched to service grown-up needs and heartless expectations.
The adult who demands such a thing is dead inside, devoid of nostalgia's bright dancing colours, so smooth, so delicious, so replete with longing both sweet and bitter - dead inside, yes, and dead outside, too.
Corpses in motion, cold with the resentment the undead bear towards all things still alive, all things still warm, still breathing

Also

Toll The Hounds posted:

"Son Of Darkness, I have reconsidered..."

One of my favourite gags from the series.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Gardens of the Moon, up to chapter 16

I'm really glad that I haven't had to see much in the way of political plotting from the Councilmen, though people are going back to the city so maybe that plot will come up again?

I AM glad that several of the various groups of people have started to meet each other, though leaving Crokus alone with a lost and confused 17 year old girl who has just come out of being possessed is just the dumbest idea I've seen, apart from Crokus's own decision making. "I saw this one girls boobs and now I want to study to be part of high society and meet her" oh my god. Crokus thinking with his dick is giving Paran's constant habit of pissing everyone off a run for its money of who is the most stupid character.

I had sorta become comfortable with the idea that Anomander Rake was clearly the most powerful mortal around, but he's talking gods down from their plans and may not even be mortal himself. And he's got a sword that is a Warren with a massive wagon in it. Paran accidentally entering that Warren and then just deciding to free the hounds just because was another mark of brashness and honestly probably stupidity on him. I had been waiting for Paran to meet Tattersail, first in her corpse form and then in her reborn form, and that went well, but now I want to see Paran meet Anomander Rake again, especially if Rake is fully aware of what Paran did.

I am looking forward to Lorn releasing the Jaghut Tyrant, even though neither she nor Tool want to do so. Just gently caress poo poo Up. I hope it crashes the party that the Councilmen are going to.

Also, ToC the Younger isn't dead, he's just stuck in a Warren and that sucks a lot, but surely someone will be able to get him out? I'm not convinced Hairlock is dead either since even seeing a body (like Paran's or Tattersail's) isn't enough to know that someone is *actually* dead for good.

I really really want more of Whiskeyjack's and Baruk's/Kruppe's gang meeting each other. They're technically on opposite sides, but honestly they aren't actually opposed to each other. We all hate the Malazan Empire here. And Paran and Crokus can become friends and bond over their stupidity and Oponn influence.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Alhazred posted:

Toll the Hounds is easily the worst book in the series.

*BZZT* wrongo

while the series never quite reaches the incredible 9.9/10 peak of Book 2 -> 3 -> 4 ever again Toll the Hounds has a cool structure where it parallels that boys journey through the mines with Anomander's journey through his poo poo + it partially succeeds at capturing the mystery/majesty/general wonder of Darujistan which Book 1 honestly whiffs pretty hard

and yes Kallor is the loving man

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

pik_d posted:

Gardens of the Moon, up to chapter 16

I'm really glad that I haven't had to see much in the way of political plotting from the Councilmen, though people are going back to the city so maybe that plot will come up again?

I AM glad that several of the various groups of people have started to meet each other, though leaving Crokus alone with a lost and confused 17 year old girl who has just come out of being possessed is just the dumbest idea I've seen, apart from Crokus's own decision making. "I saw this one girls boobs and now I want to study to be part of high society and meet her" oh my god. Crokus thinking with his dick is giving Paran's constant habit of pissing everyone off a run for its money of who is the most stupid character.

I had sorta become comfortable with the idea that Anomander Rake was clearly the most powerful mortal around, but he's talking gods down from their plans and may not even be mortal himself. And he's got a sword that is a Warren with a massive wagon in it. Paran accidentally entering that Warren and then just deciding to free the hounds just because was another mark of brashness and honestly probably stupidity on him. I had been waiting for Paran to meet Tattersail, first in her corpse form and then in her reborn form, and that went well, but now I want to see Paran meet Anomander Rake again, especially if Rake is fully aware of what Paran did.

I am looking forward to Lorn releasing the Jaghut Tyrant, even though neither she nor Tool want to do so. Just gently caress poo poo Up. I hope it crashes the party that the Councilmen are going to.

Also, ToC the Younger isn't dead, he's just stuck in a Warren and that sucks a lot, but surely someone will be able to get him out? I'm not convinced Hairlock is dead either since even seeing a body (like Paran's or Tattersail's) isn't enough to know that someone is *actually* dead for good.

I really really want more of Whiskeyjack's and Baruk's/Kruppe's gang meeting each other. They're technically on opposite sides, but honestly they aren't actually opposed to each other. We all hate the Malazan Empire here. And Paran and Crokus can become friends and bond over their stupidity and Oponn influence.

One thing I like is that as you said, characters are stupid, but it's realistic. Like yeah Crokus is behaving like a stupid teen....he is one

Wolfsheim posted:

and yes Kallor is the loving man

He's the worst, but in an interesting way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Kallor is totally metal. But also a massive piece of poo poo, to put it mildly.