Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
Just started TCG, could someone remind me what army Ganos is fighting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

Just started TCG, could someone remind me what army Ganos is fighting?
You don't find out until later :ssh:

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
edit:
answered above

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
Great, thanks. Maybe I haven't forgotten as much as I though I have.

Edit: one more question, sorry. On the same topic, are Watered and Shriven new as well?

snail goat fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 6, 2011

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

Edit: one more question, sorry. On the same topic, are Watered and Shriven new as well?

Unless I miss my guess, watered are half-breed forkrul assail and shriven are just dudes.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Do you mind if I steal the OP for another forum? With credit given of course.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Daico posted:

Unless I miss my guess, watered are half-breed forkrul assail and shriven are just dudes.

There are also different levels of Watered, who possess some of the FA's abilities (controlling people with voice, talking to their soldier's minds, etc) maybe based on amount of FA versus amount of human in them?

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

They are different levels of diluted blood of the enemy, and thus have different levels of access to power. Which by my standards shouldnt be a spoiler :)

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Are there any book summaries floating around? I read up through book seven a few years ago and I remember enjoying it, and I would like to finish up the series. However, I just don't have the will to read the first seven books again, these are way too dense.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Daico posted:

Well yeah, but even in the last page or two we've had people comment that they're just starting the series.

Though new thread title: The Malazan Book of the [Redacted]

Well, TCG did indeed quite a bit of a mindfuck with the series title, at least for me. Never even thought about the exact meaning of it. And then, after 10 years of reading it - :aaaaa:

Syle187 posted:

Are there any book summaries floating around?

Wikipedia has some useable summaries of them.

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 6, 2011

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Decius posted:

Well, TCG did indeed quite a bit of a mindfuck with the series title, at least for me. Never even thought about the exact meaning of it. And then, after 10 years of reading it - :aaaaa:

:doh:

Well, gently caress ME.

...best get back to reading (still only in book 2 of TCG).

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

NovemberMike posted:

Do you mind if I steal the OP for another forum? With credit given of course.

Go for it. I stole bits of it from all over the place anyway.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Just finished TCG at 2am.

True to Erikson form once you get to somewhere around the 50-75% poo poo just gets real and doesn't stop being real until the last page of the book.

Still somewhat confused about a number of things but I think I have it somewhat figured out. Or not. Hard to tell.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

The Saddest Robot posted:

Just finished TCG at 2am.

True to Erikson form once you get to somewhere around the 50-75% poo poo just gets real and doesn't stop being real until the last page of the book.

Still somewhat confused about a number of things but I think I have it somewhat figured out. Or not. Hard to tell.

Yeah, it's definitely more a series finale type deal rather than a Lord of the Rings style "And afterwards, here's a summary of everything that happens to everyone else until their lines die out in 20,000 years time".

While I don't doubt the story has finished for the vast majority of characters, some of the real power players are still left as enigmas, ready to reveal more over subsequent series.

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

I had to push myself through Deadhouse gates. There were parts that just seemed to drag - I had to know where things were going, but it took time. I was especially disappointed with the death of Kulp and Baudin - seriously, that came out of no where! I liked Kulp too.

Now I'm partway through Memories of Ice and... wow what a change in pace!

All the characters are in one place, they're well defined, easy to follow, things happen quickly but it all makes sense. I like how they setup the action in the novel already.

So in short, don't quit the series during Deadhouse gates.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Most people love DHG...What did you think of The Chain of Dogs?

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

A Nice Boy posted:

Most people love DHG...What did you think of The Chain of Dogs?

That was my favorite part. The ending with Coltaine left for dead, Pormqual being a douche, Duiker getting crucified and the nobles just not caring... it was heart wrenching. You don't expect that tragedy

I guess looking back on it, it was pretty good.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Mappo, Icarium and the path of hands/Azath sub-plot were hands down the best bit of Malazan, as much as I loved all of Memories of Ice. Something about the pair of them together really transcended his normally overwrought writing, you really actually felt something when you saw this century-old friendship pushed to breaking by Icarium starting to fray around the edges as he remembered what he was.

That said, I gave the series up at the end of House of Chains as it was so... meh. Didn't care about Karsa, not bothered about the light/dark mythology & the (non-Ganoes) Paran's were dull. Should probably try to get back into Midnight Tides when I have some more time.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Evfedu posted:

Didn't care about Karsa

I hope you are ready to change that opinion!

I think most of us were a bit put off by him at first.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
i think it's intentional, too.

a question: i can't remember, do we ever learn who Cartographer is up to Dust of Dreams? if so can someone please remind me because i'm blanking hard.

Grillad skinkmacka
Dec 25, 2008
Nope!

Also, I finished a reread of TCG. (Spoiler is close to the ending)gently caress the part with Gesler and Bent at the spire, poor doggie. :smith:

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

the periodic fable posted:

i think it's intentional, too.

a question: i can't remember, do we ever learn who Cartographer is up to Dust of Dreams? if so can someone please remind me because i'm blanking hard.

I don't think we do and in the end it didn't matter. Kinda disappointing really.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Grillad skinkmacka posted:

Also, I finished a reread of TCG. (Spoiler is close to the ending)gently caress the part with Gesler and Bent at the spire, poor doggie. :smith:

(TCG spoilers throughout!)

But Kalyth adopts him at the end, and Hood "adopts" Roach (or maybe it's the other way around) so the doggies are happy! Yayyyyy! :unsmith:
I was very satisfied with the way that storyline turned out, as well as most of the others. Fiddler surviving, Crokus and Apsalar getting back together and Tool's family reuniting were all big :unsmith: moments for me.
There weren't many deaths that really hit me hard. I expected most of the Bonehunters to be killed so it was nice to see many of my favourites survive, though of course I felt it when Stormy, Gesler, Cuttle and Corabb died.
Poor, poor Mappo, though. I don't think there's a :smith: big enough for him. The pairing of Ublala and Icarium, however, is just too perfect.
The way the Perish went out seemed like a waste but I suppose that's one of the points Erikson was making about them- ultimately the gods they worship are bestial in nature and will gladly devour each other if given the chance.

TCG had so much awesome stuff and massive setpieces that it's hard to pick favourites.
Quick Ben and Kalam kicking rear end and taking names, the Jaghut, T'lan Imass, K'Chain and Toblakai all teaming up to fight the Assail, the Watch whupping dragon after dragon, Torrent killing Olar Ethil and Karsa loving CHOPPING FENER'S GIANT MANIFESTING SKY HEAD IN HALF HOLY gently caress were all moments that had me pumping my fist.
One thing I find interesting is that TCG appears to set up the major opposition for ICE's future novels. Skinner and the Disavowed have apparently gone rogue and taken the piece of the CG they stole at the end of Stonewielder for themselves. The CG is not entirely whole when he is sent back to his home realm so I guess Skinner's piece is going to continue to function and give him power. It'll be interesting to see what kind of alliances he might try to forge- maybe the Disavowed will go to Assail?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Evfedu posted:

That said, I gave the series up at the end of House of Chains as it was so... meh. Didn't care about Karsa, not bothered about the light/dark mythology & the (non-Ganoes) Paran's were dull. Should probably try to get back into Midnight Tides when I have some more time.

The whole fun of Karsa as a character is seeing how he grows. You need to see how horrible he is in the beginning to make his arc more meaningful, I think.

I picked up TCG today and I giggled like a schoolgirl when I took it to the counter.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Juaguocio posted:

Poor, poor Mappo, though. I don't think there's a :smith: big enough for him. The pairing of Ublala and Icarium, however, is just too perfect.

I thought that was perfect, too. I think in the end what Erikson was saying about Mappo was that, despite his incredible love and loyalty to Icarium, no person of his intelligence and integrity could handle the role he had forever. He was too smart, too heartbroken...Even by Deadhouse Gates he was already struggling mightily with being Icarium's companion.

Ublala is perfect. He's dumb as a rock, but good hearted...A perfect foil for Icarium. Unlikely to be touched by the profound sorrow that Mappo was, unintelligent enough to not think too deeply into things, but stolid and good enough to stay by his side and be a good influence.

I also really, really want to know if we've seen the last of Icarium, or if he's going to factor into the trilogies. The part where he says "My friend, I have remembered something" sent chills through me. So well written. I want to know what happens from there!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I felt like Icarium got an awful lot of attention earlier in the series for someone who played no role at all in the final battle. I really hope he gets some attention in future books.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
This has been bugging me so I have to ask. I've just started book 8, but one thing I read significantly earlier in the series has always stuck with me:

A group of T'lan Imass come together for a meeting. One of them mentions almost offhand that hundreds of thousands of their kind are being slaughtered by a mortal on a different continent. Is this ever explained?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

This has been bugging me so I have to ask. I've just started book 8, but one thing I read significantly earlier in the series has always stuck with me:

A group of T'lan Imass come together for a meeting. One of them mentions almost offhand that hundreds of thousands of their kind are being slaughtered by a mortal on a different continent. Is this ever explained?

Not in Book of the Fallen no. Esslemont's last book will finally reveal what the hell is going on in that place, so it's still a long way to go.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I haven't finished TCG yet, but as far as I understand, Silverfox has the bulk of the Imass on Assail fighting some (human?) army that as of TTH we don't know the nature of

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Ahhh ok cheers! :)

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I felt like Icarium got an awful lot of attention earlier in the series for someone who played no role at all in the final battle. I really hope he gets some attention in future books.

It certainly seemed like something major was happening with him throughout the series. Him getting healed by the ereslas(?) god, creating the new warrens, us seeing the crystal city of Icarius. But then suddenly... nope. Nothing new, he's once again ignorant of everything, no new mention is made of the new warrens and in the final book he's just a macguffin. The "I remember something" was touching though, so maybe it wasn't all for nothing for Icarium.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

It certainly seemed like something major was happening with him throughout the series. Him getting healed by the ereslas(?) god, creating the new warrens, us seeing the crystal city of Icarius. But then suddenly... nope. Nothing new, he's once again ignorant of everything, no new mention is made of the new warrens and in the final book he's just a macguffin. The "I remember something" was touching though, so maybe it wasn't all for nothing for Icarium.

I thought it was that he was the weapon that no one dare uses...Like mutual nuclear annihilation today. Once his rage awakens, there's basically no stopping him. There was some Icarium suspense at the end when Calm went to use him...She probably could have won the day if not for Mappo and Ublala.

Another TCG question that I'm a bit confused about : What was the deal with Fener/Karsa killing Fener? Someone says something about Karsa keeping a vow...When was that vow made? I forget. Also, how did he know that the soldiers fighting near the spire would summon Fener with their oaths and such?

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

I'm halfway through Midnight Tides and I just want to say I love Tehol and Bugg. I would totally read a book about them in a buddy comedy type of thing. I don't care so much about what's going on with the Edur so much. I like Trull and am interested how he ended up where he was in House of Chains, but I really look forward to Tehol and his antics.

edit: I want Bugg to be the Errant or some other bad rear end person who kind of just wandered off over time, like K'rul.

Tooter fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 7, 2011

Grillad skinkmacka
Dec 25, 2008
Yeah Tehol and Bugg owns. And as others have said MT is one of those really good books to read a second time, easily my favorite book in the series.
Got a question about TCG now.(Some ending spoilers again)

Why did Gruntle and Kilava fight? I was hoping he would survive and go make Stonny happy. :smith:

Also I was kinda disappointed that Rudd didn't do anything of value in the book, seems like an waste to paint him up as some kind of badass then have him sitting doing literally nothing.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Grillad skinkmacka posted:

Yeah Tehol and Bugg owns. And as others have said MT is one of those really good books to read a second time, easily my favorite book in the series.
Got a question about TCG now.(Some ending spoilers again)

Why did Gruntle and Kilava fight? I was hoping he would survive and go make Stonny happy. :smith:

I had a lot of trouble following that plot as well. I think it was something along the lines of Gruntle actually trying to get Treach killed by calling him forth where all the dragons were going to enter the world.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I had a lot of trouble following that plot as well. I think it was something along the lines of Gruntle actually trying to get Treach killed by calling him forth where all the dragons were going to enter the world.
That was my take on it too, I guess it was the war gods' turn to be completely rubbish and unnecessary (with the exception of Fener) after the Barghast gods hosed up in DoD.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

I'm not sure if it was planning to call him forth specifically with the dragons in mind. I read it as he was basically going in expecting to get his rear end handed to him, and expecting as well that that process would somehow force Treach to make an appearance (whether in a "hey you kids, stop kicking my tiger!" or an "oh drat, I literally am unable to hold myself back when my tiger is getting the poo poo kicked out of him" manner).

According to my Kindle I'm about 75% in now (was hoping to finish over the weekend but didn't have a chance :( ). Crazy stuff happening left and right.
- Kalam and QB tearing the FA new assholes, and mouth holes, and eye holes, and all sorts of other holes
- Yedan Derryg butchering TLs and Hounds and Dragons and then... :(
- Nimander finally climbing out of the enormous vagina he's been cocooned in since Midnight Tides
- Shadowthrone giving as much poo poo to Draconus as he does to anyone else
- And it's just getting started...

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Habibi posted:

According to my Kindle I'm about 75% in now (was hoping to finish over the weekend but didn't have a chance :( ). Crazy stuff happening left and right.

Yeah, that's about the point where I looked at how far into the novel I was because I realized that I had passed over the "okay that's enough setup, I'm turning this up to 11" phase of the book and I realized I wasn't going to be getting any sleep until I reached the end.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Finished. What a ride.

Now, can anyone tell me in three sentences or less what exactly ST and Cot's master plan was and why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

Junk Science posted:

Finished. What a ride.

Now, can anyone tell me in three sentences or less what exactly ST and Cot's master plan was and why?

Uh...at first I thought they were trying to create a place for themselves in the ranks of Godhood and then they wanted to make a decent afterlife for everybody except then they got distracted by figuring out how to free the Crippled God? gently caress, I don't know. Anybody?