Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Skip ‘em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

If you can't get enough of the world, read the ICE books. If you want more good Erikson prose read the KB&B short stories.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Eediot Jedi posted:

needs more apostrophes. Kyl'e, bang, done.

You find out his full name in Assail

Kylarral-ten

e: please don't read Assail

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 25, 2024

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've talked enough poo poo about the ICE books, but most of them aren't that bad. They just feel like missed opportunities.
Y'know, for an actually talented author to write some awesome stories, as opposed to the mostly-decent stuff ICE puts out.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Even if you’re just interested in tying up loose threads I think you’re better off just leaving it to your imagination because the resolutions you get from the ICE books are wholly unsatisfying and borderline on character assassination in some cases.

Adambomb0
Jan 10, 2007
Seems like No Life Forsaken is taking longer than anticipated. I feel like I've got through most of the A-list fantasy and to me nothing compares. It seems like the long winded philosophic monologues are a bit of a contentious topic for most, which I can understand, but when one of them connects its such a highlight of the series. Fingers crossed we get it in 2024 I thought The God is Not Willing was prime poo poo.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

I really need to read the God Is Not Willing and also Fall of Light some day too.

I did start Willful Child a while ago and did not care for it and shelved it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

imagine dungeons posted:

I did start Willful Child a while ago and did not care for it and shelved it.
Yeah, that one is... weird. I guess you have to be a Trekkie to "get" it?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think so. I found myself reading it super quickly. It kind of feeds into the frenetic pace and the captain stringing along from danger to danger.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, that one is... weird. I guess you have to be a Trekkie to "get" it?

as a casual trekkie (i've watched all of voyager, TNG, movies, the lower decks) and full time space opera enthusiast it was just a bit poo poo.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I mean it's a satire of trek stuff. That's kind of niche as hell. Though you can read it as straight schlock scifi I guess.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

60% through the Complete, on sub-book 3 of book 7. I realize at this point I skip the pre chapter poems all of the time now. They rarely relate to anything happening, or even to any sort of interesting world building.

Are there any good ones or is this a common thing opinion?

It's hard to form an opinion on the series even being 80 hours of reading into it. There are parts that I like and parts I dislike, but something about it makes it very hard to get invested in most characters. Even compared to WoT I feel like there's so many different threads that each gets so little time for me to get invested in something. Tehol/Bugg are great, and I liked Rake+Whiskeyjack and that crew but WJ is dead and Rake hasn't been on screen in the present day since like book 3.

Everyone is just mysterious and guarded all the time and the reveals of stuff that seems like they should be important focuses just disappear for 10 hours at a time as soon as they happen.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I can imagine that reading the series back to back all at once in one big Kindle book can make things kinda blur together too.

One of the big reasons this series owns on a reread is how many little details you sweep past the first time around but really make an impact the second time.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The Ninth Layer posted:

I can imagine that reading the series back to back all at once in one big Kindle book can make things kinda blur together too.

One of the big reasons this series owns on a reread is how many little details you sweep past the first time around but really make an impact the second time.

I can totally believe that, there's plenty of stuff I gloss over if I don't want to reference notes. I know there's a Wheel of Time companion app that you can set what book you're on and look up info that'll be curated to avoid spoilers, is there anything similar for Malazan?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There's a Tor Malazan read along with two readers going chapter by chapter, one who has read the series and one who hasn't, and iirc it's pretty good for spoilers.

Edit: https://reactormag.com/columns/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen/

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

The Ninth Layer posted:

There's a Tor Malazan read along with two readers going chapter by chapter, one who has read the series and one who hasn't, and iirc it's pretty good for spoilers.

Edit: https://reactormag.com/columns/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen/

Imo, Bill spoils stuff all the time in that but Amandas parts are great! Maybe he doesn't in the recaps but he does in his thoughts on it.

There's https://searchofthefallen.com/ where you can search through the books for keywords and specify which ones you want to search which is by far the safest approach. It's down a lot but google has it cached if it is.

Or you could always ask here and we try not to spoil it for you!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Skyl3lazer posted:

60% through the Complete, on sub-book 3 of book 7. I realize at this point I skip the pre chapter poems all of the time now. They rarely relate to anything happening, or even to any sort of interesting world building.

I can't say if there are any good ones but I can tell you I skip the hell out of all that sort of poo poo unless it's a fake quote or a funny quote from our world.

Another Fine Myth posted:

There are things on heaven and earth, Horatio, Man was not meant to know.
-Hamlet

Another Fine Myth posted:

Careful planning is the key to safe and swift travel.
-Ulysses

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Skyl3lazer posted:

It's extra flavor there for a re-read, which the series rewards.

He's actually decent at the poetry, but not everything is a poem. Since it's written as a history, some of the chapter headers will reveal what happens to characters after the series ends, or during the series but off-screen.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If I remember, Erikson wrote the pre-chapter stuff (poems, extracts, etc) as the last thing in each chapter so that they could set the tone appropriately.
I tended to skip over the poems, but some of the other stuff is interesting

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Yeah when you re-read, you will discover the pre-chapter is a subtle microsom of the themes you are about to enounter.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

kingturnip posted:

If I remember, Erikson wrote the pre-chapter stuff (poems, extracts, etc) as the last thing in each chapter so that they could set the tone appropriately.
I tended to skip over the poems, but some of the other stuff is interesting

I think he said in one of the Ten Very Big Books interviews that he writes them before each chapter as a sort of Theme Summary for the chapter or something like that for himself.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Echoing the sentiment that the poems are rewarding on a reread. It’s also kind of nice listening to them read aloud in the audiobook versions.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

ulmont posted:

I can't say if there are any good ones but I can tell you I skip the hell out of all that sort of poo poo unless it's a fake quote or a funny quote from our world.

Asprin was cheesy but he could write a gag

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
About halfway through Bonehunters, excellent stuff. Question about the T’Lan Imass and Eres’Al - Eres’Al at this point seem to be described as proto/ur-humans, but T’Lan Imass also seem like early humans pre ritual of dust. Is there like an evolutionary chain of humanoids? With e.g. toblakai being evolutionary offshoots?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's explained in more :airquote: detail :airquote: later, iirc.

Like a lot of things in the series, though, it makes as much sense as it needs to for the story to be cool.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
It makes perfect sense, there were plenty of different proto-humans in real life that interacted and interbred, this is the exact same thing. He's an anthropologist after all. I don't really think it should just be dismissed as rule of cool.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

First time I’ve ever seen someone say Malazan makes sense.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

imagine dungeons posted:

I'm gonna entrap you in my magic sword for this

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I'm on Toll the Hounds and I'm getting the feeling this book was written while mad at critics. Don't write books while mad about stuff like that.*
Now I fear K&B book two was an accurate forecast of what is to come rather than a chance to blow off steam.

*You know exactly which pre chapter poem I am talking about

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Toll the Hounds is easily the worst book in the series.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

TTH worst book the first read, one of the better ones the next time through. Back to average on the third read. It's about his father dying. The mad at critics book is Crack'd Pot Trail.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

imagine dungeons posted:

It's an interesting mix because there's a bunch of stuff that he does to ground it in modern anthropology, like never shutting up about potsherds, deconstructing noble savage myth, placing cities in reasonable/realistic locations, talking about everything being built on the bones of something older, etc.

But also you got your zombie velociraptors with knifehands.

It's a land of contrasts.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

TTH is the worst book on the first read because it’s all setting up this huge impactful ending, so it doesn’t really feel like anything is happening until the very end when everything comes together. I think it’s a lot better on rereads because you know what it’s all leading up to.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
The ending of TTH is fantastic but drat there is a pile of poo poo to slog through. It's a book with like 15 different plots going on and at the end it turns out only 2 kind of a little bit maybe might matter.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I just finished chapter 7 of Bonehunters. God drat it this is so loving good

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What I love about this series is that for any combination of Best/Worst book you can find someone to yell about how wrong, wrong, so very wrong and also stupid you are. I think it's cool that there's no universally derided book in the series. Even GotM has a lot in its favour despite being very rough around the edges.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Zombie velociraptors with knifehands makes perfect sense. If you had undead dinosaurs wouldn't you put knives on their hands?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Guyver posted:

Zombie velociraptors with knifehands makes perfect sense. If you had undead dinosaurs wouldn't you put knives on their hands?

I swear its a Fafred and the Grey Mouser reference.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
Toll the Hounds has a fuckton of certified original gangster Kallor the High King, slaps therefore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Nearly finished Bonehunters in my wife-read. She's loving it.

She rather likes the Crimson Guard, and although we have decided to skip the Esselmont books, she has asked for us to include RotCG in our plans. So we'd do Reaper's Gale next, then RotCG, then the last three Erikson books.

I'm a bit torn... on the one hand, the book is a bit meh from my recollection, she has no knowledge of the Esselmont-specific characters, plus it delays us getting to the fantastic series end (and I'd quite like to actually finish the series at some point and maybe read her WoT afterwards... and I'm not getting any younger).

On the other hand, the Crimson Guard are pretty cool, it would make her happy, it contains stuff with Traveller, which is pretty nice world-building stuff relevant to the main books, plus it would circumvent the weirdness of Laseen's death happening outside the main books.