Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Apparently, MoI spoilers, chaos wanted Kurald Galain destroyed so he thought he had to help Mother Dark by finding a way to keep it from chaos. Obviously you put her front door in a wagon and make some dragons, demons and gods drag it across a never ending hellscape inside a magic sword. Except after a couple hundred millennia chained to the hellwagon he figured out darkness would've keep ahead of chaos naturally and he had hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I always figured one of the big reasons Laseen wanted -Bonehunters spoilers- the Wickens dead is she thought they were more loyal to Kellanved than to the empire. Since he's the one that dragged them out of their tribal bullshit. Since they were to valuable and powerful a force to take out and Coltaine isn't someone you can just replace she had to wait for the no win scenario that the Whirlwind presented. By the time Bonehunters is done they're broken as a military and their homeland is basically under attack. Laseen got what she wanted using them as a scapegoat would have just been the cherry on top. In fact you might say the whole rebellion was allowed to get as far as it did because Laseen had more people she wanted to get rid of, because she's a psycho with tunnel vision.

Haven't read the ICE books yet so maybe she's just incompetent like Larry said.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 13, 2016

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Well, the amulet was from Baruk and Ben not Dujek but Dujek not wanting Coltaine dead doesn't mean Laseen didn't. Even if she did want him alive that doesn't mean she wasn't hoping the Wickans wouldn't be killed off. She was hurting for competent officers and Coltaine without his people would be a lot easier to control. Than again I could just be giving Laseen too much credit and it really was just a way to get Rel off her back when he out maneuvered her.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Finished Assail and my only comment is confusion about ICE forgetting he already showed the Avowed being near unkillable monsters in RotCG. I mean really Shimmer you didn't think something was up in the last what 70 or so years when people who should have died in battle, didn't?

Other than that, it was fine. Maybe low expectations played into it.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You have to remember that the Karakanas books are what Gallan told Fisher and it's right there in the first bit about how what he doesn't remember he'll just make up.

Trying to fit it all together with what's in BotF would drive anyone mad. Because at the end of the day it's not supposed to.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You might be thinking of the Trell warchef Trynigarr and mixing him up with the Tarhenal that got drunk and sold his stuff for more. Can't remember his name.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Azath Houses are pop up when there's a ton of magic so it doesn't kill everyone, I think this is mentioned in Gardens. Finnest was going nuts with Raest getting closer and would have destroyed Darujhistan because the Azath was slow so Paran and Tool had to hold it back until the house was strong enough.

At lest that's how I remember it, it's been a while since I read the book and anymore would go into what comes up further along in the series.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

She.

Wait, he again.

Personally I liked the First Sword bits of Night of Knives though I don't really remember the other bits.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Isn't there a magic icy hell sea between Assail and everywhere else?

Edit: I guess that's kind of an Assail spoiler.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 12, 2017

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I've not got that far - is Assail full of Forkrul Assail?

Because it would be weird to have a continent named after a species most people have never heard of.

Assail the book spoiler Yes, there is an entire mountain full of them.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's probably hard to hold sway over a continent whose main factions are armored flying bug riders with incendiary munitions, super human masked samurai and a cabal of demon sorcerers. And Kruppe.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

They are but every once in a while they have weird magic lizard babies. The ones that are too much lizard get thrown into the sea and the ones with just slight lizardyness become their magic users.

I always figured the Shake got caught up in the Tiste/Kchain wars and were used for experiments by the Matrons or something.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Well poo poo I totally missed that. Guess it's time for that third read through.

Though it didn't help that my eyes tended to glaze over on the Shake parts that wasn't The Watch murdering everything.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The reason Forge of Darkness and Fall of Light didn't sell well is pretty obvious to me. Except for the one scene with the sisters and the few with dragons the book was pretty mundane. Well as mundane as not-elves coming to terms with their newly minted corporeal goddess of darkness can get anyway. Don't get me wrong I really liked both of them but it didn't get the blood up like the stuff in BotF. Which is kind of sad because Walk in Shadow probably would have ramped the action up.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

what makes a book "mundane" and why is it bad?
The gulf between magic assassin fights with demon dragon battles and not-elf religious politicking is pretty wide.

And I didn't say it was bad, in fact I said I liked them both, but maybe it wasn't what fans wanted.

Though apparently they thought of that angle and figured it wasn't the reason.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Deadhouse Landing was a lot of fun. I liked most all of the winks and nods in the book except one which was a little on the nose. When they meet the new marine and I think it was Crust that said something like " Jack? That's a boring name he needs a new one".

Also for some reason I have been under the impression that Silk and Tayschrenn were the same person, guess not. I can't remember how I came to that conclusion though.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Probably should read Dancer's Lament first but I don't really think the other ICE books are necessary. Night of Knives introduces a few characters he uses in Landing because it's on Malaz but I don't think anyone would be lost if they didn't read it.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

In House of Chains they imply Blood oil is otataral or is at least in part, guess no one in Quan Tali never tried eating it..

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

quote:

15. The Gunslinger: My question is in regard to the pronunciation of some of the races in your world. I love talking about the books with friends, but I’ve found that nobody pronounces things the same. If you could give phonetic spelling of each (or just words that rhyme), I would be very grateful.

K’Chain Che’Malle (K or kuh, Sheh or Cheh, Mall or Male, as in tamale)

Steven: K, Cheh, and Malle as in Hal.

Tiste (is the “e” silent, have an “eh” sound, or an “e” sound?)

A: silent ‘e’

Edur (is the “e” stressed?)

Steven: yes, and as Eh not Ee

Jaghut (is the “h” pronounced? If so, is hut Hutt as in Jabba, or hoot?)

A: silent ‘h’ and Ja-goot but accent on the Ja: the word should fall off on completion

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

My favorite thing about the Silanda is that Binadas wasn't supposed to die. When they were gaming the encounter the guy playing Karsa was pissed and just announced he was chucking a spear at the captain out of no where and crit the roll. Binadas was supposed to be a bigger part of the story. In fact I think a lot of the crazy Karsa gets into is because after the whole slavery and capture bit Karsa's player just gave no shits.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Erikson talks about it in the Tor interviews. There's also a malazan-wiki page with the known events that are from Erikson and ICE's sessions.

http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Role-playing_Game_Origins_of_the_Malazan_Series

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Yarrington posted:

Felisen Younger and her cult? We never heard about her and I kind of expected it to come back up.

She gets an off hand mention in The Crippled God by Ganoes when he's acting as a High Fist. Basically he'd like to take his host and wipe out her cult but figured in a few years it'll die out on it's own. But maybe she'll show up in the Karsa books like dishwasherlove said.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

i've always been curious about how much of what's portrayed in the books originally happened at a GURPS game

https://malazan.fandom.com/wiki/Role-playing_Game_Origins_of_the_Malazan_Series

There's a list of gamed events near the bottom.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

http://searchofthefallen.com

Memories of Ice on the First Empires

edit: Spoiler tags for NoNotTheMindProbe

The Bonecaster sighed and continued to stare upward, seeking any evidence that the passage had gone awry. It seemed, however, that no wounds had reopened, no gush of wild power bled from the portal. Did it look different? She could not be sure. This was new land for her; she had nothing of the bone-bred sensitivity that she had known all her life among the lands of the Tarad clan, in the heart of the First Empire.

-----------------

But a strong god could ignore the scavengers that trailed in his wake, and K'rul was a strong god. Temples had been raised in his name. Blood had for generations soaked countless altars in worship of him. The nascent cities were wreathed in the smoke of forges, pyres, the red glow of humanity's dawn. The First Empire had risen, on a continent half a world away from where K'rul now walked. An empire of humans, born from the legacy of the T'lan Imass, from whom it took its name.

----------------------
I am Treach – one of many names. Trake, the Tiger of Summer, the Talons of War. Silent Hunter. I was there at the end, one of the few survivors once the T'lan Imass were done with us. Brutal, merciful slaughter. They had no choice – I see that now, though none of us were prepared to forgive. Not then. The wounds were too fresh.

Gods, we tore a warren to pieces on that distant continent. Turned the eastlands into molten stone that cooled and became something that defied sorcery. The T'lan Imass sacrificed thousands to cut away the cancer we had become. It was the end, the end of all that promise, all that bright glory. The end of the First Empire. Hubris, to have claimed a name that rightly belonged to the T'lan Imass

Guyver fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 25, 2019

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Iron Bars and the Crimson Guard is just a giant disappointment. ICE's non-prequel books have their moments and aren't that bad as a whole but don't read them if it's just for more of the Crimson Guard stuff.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The first mask is supposed to be perfectly blank so the second has one mark. I don't actually remember about your second question. Karsa is about 90 pages in, it just talks about how a toblakai, two kids and some woman has been slumming by the edge of town.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah. I like MT a lot but the book could easily have done without Ublala and whatsherface the undead thief.

Toll the Hounds, on the other hand, is pretty weak for like 80%, completely loving nuts for the remaining 20% and practically begging for a reread once you delve into Kharkanas and find out everything you thought you knew about Tiste is loving wrong.

You got to ask yourself. Do you trust the book written by a tortured god of a different dimension or the epic poem from a bard who literally admits on near the first page he's making most of it up?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Alhazred posted:

But we allready know that their culture is a macho cesspit, we also know beforehand that they practice "hobbling" and that everyone else despises them for it. There is no deconstruction.

Not really? Before it happens all we really know about the Barghast are that they're cool tribal people helping Brood or the Malazan. The first we hear of the hobbling or really anything about their culture out side of warfare or politics is when the one Barghast chief tells the queen about it and she's rather upset but it's never even alluded to before that.

I'm sure everyone gets why it's there especially after the Tor interview but Erikson really didn't need to go into the detail he did.

Added the post I was replying to.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 13, 2019

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Think really hard about which of Alhazred's two posts I was replying to.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Alhazred posted:

So there's just no resolution to Felisin Younger's arc.

She's the hedonist that Paran leaves to die in DoD or Crippled God. loving all day and doing drugs till you die of a plague is a kind of resolution.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

From what I understand the lizards hosed with dark so when Bloodeye won he tipped the balance light, shadow and dark kicking off the lizards plan to destroy everything in revenge.

The most of the gods and dragons were pissed because he basically started the apocalypse and now everyone is going to die. In a couple million years.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Yeah Silverfox's story line gets wrapped up in Assail. I found it incredibly unsatisfying.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Finally getting around to reading The God is Not Willing and Stillwater is just the perfect mix of stupid and crazy.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I don't think GotM got a rewrite after publication but it was originally a movie script based on a RP campaign that was hammered into a novel.

Also while looking around to make sure I wasn't misremembering I found out there's a GotM prequel that can't be accessed because it's both on a 5" floppy disc and written on a obsolete word possessor program.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The Neolithic and its consequences have been a disaster for the Imass race.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You forgot outlawing slavery.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

So your saying Washington didn't cross the D'laware by going through the Merica warren?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You get more Silverfox in ICE's Assail book.

You'll wish you didn't though.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Zombie velociraptors with knifehands makes perfect sense. If you had undead dinosaurs wouldn't you put knives on their hands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Kruppeis probably the most okay person in the series.