Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
Just started TCG, could someone remind me what army Ganos is fighting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

Great, thanks. Maybe I haven't forgotten as much as I though I have.

Edit: one more question, sorry. On the same topic, are Watered and Shriven new as well?

snail goat fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 6, 2011

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Goddamn it is jarring trying to get into this series. I still haven't finished Gardens of the Moon. I read about a quarter of the way into it a while back and was just like "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!" I keep meaning to get back to it.
You really just have to power through it. It took me a year to finish that drat book, but after that it all came easy and I churned through each one in a couple weeks.

It kinda sucks not knowing what's going on, but it's better than having your hand held through each scene as it's repeated over and over just to make sure you didn't miss anything.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

Sil posted:

e. What we obviously need is a Jaghut series because they are by far the most awesome characters in all the books. No other POVs. Just Jaghuts. Some Tyrant, Hood, Gothos. Nice and simple.
As long as Bent is with Hood, I'll read the hell out of that.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

Just go by the numbers.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

qbert posted:

(does any character in this series suffer more than Toc?)
No.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

To be fair though, his ending pretty much owned. Know he's partying it up forever with his buddies the Bridgeburners, and all he had to do was go through several cycles of pain and suffering to get his invite into the club. How is it possible that Whiskeyjack continues to be one of the best characters in this series after being half rotted and dead for 7 books or so
Yeah, you're right. His ending made me cry happy tears for the first time (for him.)

I think there are other characters who may have it worse, Hetan for example, but Toc is different. You get to know him better. You get to REALLY like him. And before he ever actually does anything, he starts getting hosed over. And over. And over. And over. In my opinion, he was simply the most tragic. (And the second I say that I start second guessing it... Coltaine, Dukier, hell, even Rake.) Whatever. I feel for Toc the most.

^^Yeah, her story is tragic, but we never get to know her, so I think it's easy to just shrug off and say "that sucks."

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

Square Pair posted:

he doesn't really explain occurrences of what's happened in the previous books.
No, he never does. Ever. He also will start entirely new plot lines in the beginning of books that have no relation to the stories already told. Start getting used to memorizing names and remembering complex, weaving plot lines. Good luck. ;) (It's actually what makes this series so greatly re-readable.)

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

the periodic fable posted:

when?
After she went all hulky-warewolf she and the Shield Anvil killed each other, right before the Mortal Sword got back to the army... I think.

Edit: So sorry guys, my bad.

snail goat fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 25, 2011

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

Loving Life Partner posted:

I sobbed like a bitch at Gesler's last stand
I was doing a drat fine job of keeping the tears in until Bent. That was the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

acumen posted:

I made it about 20 pages into the first novel before I had to put it down due to the writing style. Does it get better/easier as you go through it?
It took me about a year of on-off reading to decide I was just going to power through it. I banged out the rest of the series in pretty short succession, though. They just keep getting better.

I just talked up the series to a class mate of mine and gave him the first book. It's made me all longing for a reread. I think I'mma see how far I can get over winter break.