Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Doctor Jeep posted:

there is a point where portraying the soldiers of an extremely expansionist empire as almost saintly becomes irritating, but the rant parts of the book compensate for that very well

Yeah, if I have one issue with it, it's that there are several scenes where the Malazan's motives are portrayed (at least collectively) as capital-G Good in a way that both really doesn't jibe with all that we know from the main series and feels simplistic in a way that Erickson thankfully tends to steer well clear of.

"How was I meant to know that all Palid wanted was a bath?" was pretty laugh-out-loud funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Yeah, I get that while you can make the argument, the context here is that it is made very clear that Sarlis is both literally incapable of helping herself (through no failing of her own), nor even really aware that help is a thing that is possible (Benger isn't even confident)

The Stonny one is a bit on the nose in hindsight, but it'd be disingenuous to imply that Erikson has some sort of 'rape-victim-saviour-complex' or something

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Ethiser posted:

I’m just mad we didn’t get the third book because all I wanted to see was what happened with Hood and his war on death. That was the only really interesting storyline with Draconus’ son hanging out there. Well that and the two Rosencrantz and Guildenstern guards.

It's still coming. Due to the (comparatively) low sales of the first 2 Karkanas books Erikson's publisher basically asked him to do Witness first - not sure if this is the whole Witness trilogy or just TGINW, but Walk in Shadow is still on its way

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Compatibility mode? is he writing this into a .doc file?
Unending degeneracy

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
My biggest issue with the Esslemont books is (and this is unfair to him, but I can't help it) the bits that I like I see as 'oh good, some more fleshing out of the world that Erikson made' and the bits I don't are 'this feels like fan fiction', with the ultimate result of both being 'I hope that Erikson himself addresses this in a future book and better.'

I don't think ICE is in any way a bad writer, but (for example) the difference between how Erikson wrote the Seguleh and their portrayal in O/S/T are chalk and cheese and it's difficult not to hold him to a higher standard that he falls short of.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Yeah, it's fairly self contained - it obviously connects outside the book, but doesn't really rely on that to understand the story itself.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Snowman_McK posted:

I've begun my long planned reread of the whole series and a) it starts a lot stronger than I remember and b) how extensive was the rewrite? I remember hearing that there was a sort of...writer's cut of Garden's of the Moon, that Erikson redid once he finished The Crippled God.

There was no re-write. If I remember, one of the publishers put up an announcement for a 'GoTM: Special 10th anniversary Edition featuring new content from Steven Erikson' without explaining what that actually meant, and then it took them a few weeks to clarify that new content = a foreward.

In the interim, a lot of the internet convinced themselves he was doing a rewrite/edit over the book, but none of that ever eventuated

Serak fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 23, 2022

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Yeah, Assail pretty much ruins anything interesting about Assail, Orb Scepter Throne pretty much ruins anything interesting about the Seguluh, Blood and Bone doesn't quite ruin EVERYTHING interesting about Jacuruku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Tokelau All Star posted:

How is The God is Not Willing? I didn't care for Forge of Darkness and never finished Fall of Light.

TGiNW is a much easier and more accessible read than either FoD or FoL