Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Finished TCG last night.

The only thing that bothered me was how Hetan got revived out of nowhere. That was pretty stupid.

Btw I wonder who the Reaver and Fool in the House of Chains were? Reaver I'm guessing were Lostara and Ruthan and the Fool was Bistrig? Though this means Fiddler has no spot in the house but I don't want to think he was supposed to be the Fool.

And whatever happened to Leoman and that son of Osserc guy if the Queen of Dreams was supposed to be in the game.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Junk Science posted:

Ends! They are loose!

I was really hoping for Fist Blistig to get what was coming to him. Never happened. Lame. Same with the Errant. We could have used three more epilogues at least.

Considering how easily Drac found and killed two elder gods, I think it's implied that Errant has no chance of surviving the wraith of Drac and Oponn. Blistig was a dick but he still ended up holding down the center and surviving so good for him.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Paran as in Ganoes? No one knew what the hell he was up ever since he left from the Seven Cities and when Picker tried to summon him in the eighth book and he was all like nope guys sorry I'm in a bit of a shithole atm.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

He also had access to their warren in the first book to do that soul shifting stuff.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I would say the Emperor of a Thousand Deaths suffered quite a bit.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

qbert posted:

Well the thing with Rhulad is that he chose to get killed over and over. Sure, he didn't choose to be immortal, but no one was forcing him to fight champions and get killed over and over. The Crippled God gave him the means, and then relied on his inherent greed to do the rest.

Theres two issues with that. One is that he wanted to die for reals, and the other is that he probably was addicted to the power the way someone would get addicted to I dunno, like coke or something. It wasn't something he could stop with his own willpower and the tragic thing is he was pretty alone with no help because everyone close to him either 'betrayed' him or really betrayed him. Getting someone to end him once and for all was his only solution for the way out.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Picker told him to do it remember? At the end of the eighth book.

And what a ball grab it was when it turns out the god he was suppose to kill wasn't the Crippled God, well done Erikson. :golfclap:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Most of them aren't really valid.

1. Yes, there's a planned Daru novel in the future with all the tyrant and alchemist stuff.
2. Maybe, or maybe not. I don't think we'll see anything here though.
3. It's hinted that she and the cult will destroy itself by its own virtues.
4. Yes, there's supposed to be a planned series of book about the Tiste Andiis that Erikson is going to write himself.
5. I think we can infer that he's screwed with both Draconus and Oponn hunting him. They both easily found the location of Kil and Knuckles and Draconus easily killed both of them.
6. I think they're joke/non serious characters/small fishes in a big pond. Complaining about them not accomplishing anything would be like complaining about how all the scheming of the Raruku players fell apart because Karsa kicked over their sandcastles.

I'm surprised you haven't complained about the biggest missing plot thread in the series, the one about Karsa's destiny since he's such a major character in the series. But don't worry I guess since Erikson plans on writing a series of books on the Toblakai also.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Another novel later on.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I'm surprised you've made it this far if your retention is as bad as you say. It's not THAT much more plot threads in the tenth book than in the ninth. It's just the stuff from ninth and plus a few from eighth.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Then it's still mostly threads from the seventh and a bit from the eighth book. Don't get me wrong the tenth book definitely has the most going on but I don't think to the degree that you can't handle it if you have read the other nine books. Maybe you just need to get used to Erikson's style again and how he demands you pay attention to a character that shows up once every other chapter or whatever.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

(BIG SPOILERS) I just realized something about Grub... He is titled the First Sword of the Last Empire in the future, could this be a possible reference to the upcoming future when Karsa Orlong sets off to fulfill his destiny? And being the Last Empire does this basically mean that Karsa in some way wins and destroys civilization? Now the question is then if this true what the 'last empire' would be, maybe the remnants of the Malazan Empire merged with the Letherii Empire? Since Mael basically has influence over both them and Letherii military will be following the Malazan way of combat since the only veterans will the ones with Brys. Or maybe not, since Mael and Tehol supported Ublala when he told them what Karsa planned to do. Or maybe Letherii IS last empire and Tehol will also make good on his promise to destroy civilization and the last empire is just the fact that after getting rid of everyone else Tehol dismantled his own empire. Karsa DID also promised to not kill the Malazans.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Was it Late Empire instead? Aww

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

TCG and Hood spoilers Yeah about that, what the hell is this guy's plan? In the third book and in the past he was part of the main anti Crippled God gang. Now he is suddenly fighting for his release in between trying to save the world from chaos by getting himself killed by Anomander.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Hero Pussy posted:

I don't even remember what book Can someone remind me who Tulas Shorn is, again, and what the relationship is/was to Silchas?

He was the undead dragon that escaped out of Hood's warren in the seventh book when the trade caravan was loving around in it. He apparently created the Hounds of Shadow or some poo poo. Then he stole the Traveler and Karsa's woman's horses. The last we saw of him before the tenth book was him killing 3 Hounds of Light before flying off to god knows where.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

He's only on the third book, you don't need to spoil him like that.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Is there a website somewhere that summarizes all the plot stuff that happens in ICE's books? So the rest of us don't have to suffer reading through supposedly mediocre writing.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

And also http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/2011/04/interview-with-steven-erikson.html for those too lazy to click on the homepage.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Complaining that the villains of the tenth book didn't have enough time to develop is very silly when you're praising the second and third book which also had only one book to develop their villains.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Sankis posted:

So, I'm about to start The Crippled God and I have a few questions/worries.

First off, I looked over the Dramatis Personae and was saddened to see that neither Cutter nor Sorry/Apsalar were listed. Could someone tell me if they make an appearance at all? For some reason, I really liked their storyline and it feels like it was abandoned ~3 books ago. Is it being taken up in an Esslemont book?

I also feel like I have absolutely no clue what's happening. I know this is usually normal for this series, but it feels especially bad right now. Am I supposed to be feeling this way? I assume I am, but I just want to check. I have no clue what's going on with Palan in the very beginning, and only have a faint recollection of what happened to Tavore.

Your first question (remember this is a big spoiler so only see if you really, really, really want to know!) Yes they will make an appearance

Your second question - No one knows what Paran is up to, the last we saw of him before the tenth book was the eighth when Picker contacted him and he's basically like yeah I'm in a bit of deep poo poo right now can't talk cya. As for Tavore if you forgot then you should re-read the ninth book since it's a direct continuation.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Gesler and Stormy's backstory is basically that they're (I think this is revealed in DoD) old-time members of the Malazan army. I think both were, like Whiskeyjack, on their way to Fist or possibly already Fist or some other high rank before the Laseen takeover, after which they were bumped down to corporal or adjutant and set to boring guard duty somewhere in Seven Cities. Truth is the young recruit who ends up in the Marine squad with them. Everything else happens during the series.

And yeah, you got the identity of the tower guy correct (the one in the spoiler).

Gesler was like a Lieutenant or something and Stormy was an Adjunct(sp?) or whatever they call the right hand man of the captain in a fleet.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

It's call convergence :colbert:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

It is because otherwise there would be no other way for him to be freed from their world.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Meet Tehol and Bugg and your tune will change to that you don't like the Tiste Edurs because they are taking screen time away from Tehol.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

That crazy race of people of that the Emperor and the High Priest of Shadow is from.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A Nice Boy posted:

You know who I keep wanting to know more of, and hope they're mentioned at some point in the future? Those crazy strong rear end mages in that faraway nation that could basically gently caress up the entire world, but (can't remember the details) aren't ambitious, don't feel like it. There are three of them, I think. Anyone remember details I'm forgetting?

That's the continent of Assail iirc where the three human tyrants rule over it. Unfortunately ICE is the one will is going to write a book about it soooo.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Sorry but Sorry is a hilarious name.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

More archaeologists should do fantasy books then.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Yeah I think it's very natural to feel that Midnight Tides takes place in way, way in the past until the halfway through the book when it's indirectly explained to you. I feel like whenever someone asks that question you should just answer keep reading.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

They're basically the incarnation of the phrase 'I am justice'.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Who knows, Erikson himself said he hasn't given enough information to explain who or what he is.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

You get shown and told many, many times how great WJ is. The only thing you never hear or know about up until a certain point was his physical prowess.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Bar. Iron Bar.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

quote:

I think the mages were afraid of them, and opted to run than fight.

Not really, their plan was obviously to let the desert gently caress them over but WJ won't go down so easily. Probably by the point that the mages realized they got a heck of a hound on their tail they were already so weak that it became a game of chicken. The scary Bridgeburners didn't exist before the desert.

quote:

LtSmash

IIRC Ben was the youngest and weakest of the high mages and I don't think he anticipated that he'll get their souls. IIRC the other mages gave it to him when they saw no chances of themself getting out of the desert alive.

The mages were originally planning to run away from the dying Seven Cities so they probably hoped to only be in the desert long enough to weaken their pursuers which then they'll swoop down and finish them quickly and leave the continent with no one chasing them.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 4, 2011

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Blade. Darkblade.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I'm cool with Harllo's little side adventure because we get to see some Nom Nom Noms.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Marines thinking pretty the same thing is Alright in my book because the only difference they have between each other is whether they are veterans or not, and their background. Because of military culture and the influence of big figures in their army like Fiddler they will start thinking and feeling the same thing. And the reason you don't see soldiers with vastly differing motives for being a soldier in the Malazan army is probably because the Malazan military is the best of the best trained by the best and with high and unique standards for being in it. That's what makes them different from the other armies we see like the Seven Cities rebels (along with the fact that they're trained to think for themselves). They may have various reasons for joining, some didn't even really have a choice, but in the end because of influential figures like Dassem and Onearm they all end up with a desire to just do a little good in the world.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Sir Bruce posted:

Just finished Midnight Tides - definitely my favorite so far. The story was more focused on a relatively simple conflict and having only 3 or 4 main characters really let Erickson flesh out those characters, a notable weakness in the earlier books.

One question though, who exactly are the Crimson Guard and what is the role of an Avowed? I seem to recall mentions of them as the Empire's enemies in Genabackis from Gardens of the Moon but I'm not positive. Iron Bars is pretty awesome and from his talk with the wraith Tiste Andii it seemed that he was similar to Itkovian in carrying spiritual burdens for others.

Seems like you basically have to read RotCG to find out. They don't really get explained in the ten books.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

However, it is a spoiler that they are in the fifth book since they are simply listed as soldier or mage or whatever on the characters page. Which is I assume was why he spoiler tagged it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Ed Mungo posted:

Just started reading this series (working on book 2 on my kindle) and I'm already getting name-weary. I had pretty high hopes based on what I'd heard about it, but I'm not sure this one is for me. Some of it is just the gibberish apostrophe names throwing me out of the story every time they show up (and I really don't care if he had a reason for it or not--it's kind of a peeve for me and I just don't like it). The other thing is I find being thrown from one POV to another jarring, and if this is something that gets even more frequent as the series goes on I am not going to continue.

Better stop right now then and sell the books to a discount store.