Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ok I think I finished actual book 3 and am in to 4, it's a single ebook and there's book titles within these books so I'm moderately confident in this. I still don't know what's happening at all but some of the bits are cool. Some stuff in these books is a loving problem though and I hope it ends soon.

They killed my homie whiskeyjack and now there's just rapey people running around. Hoping they'll get past this quickly because it's pretty loving yikes. "Oh the women actually like getting raped!" was not a plot point I needed here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

snoremac posted:

That is from the perspective of the rapist.

It's a comment a (soon to raped) woman makes to her to-be rapist.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Jaxyon posted:

That section is intended to be a very unreliable narrator, and a counter to the noble savage mythos(along with the Barghast). Lots of fans like him(karsa) but if it's because of that section, and not the "society sucks and is exploitive, and I will destroy it" stuff, then I'm VERY wary of those fans. Given all the comments and stuff that SE has said in interviews, facebook, blogs etc, I tend to believe him that he's not trying to glorify sexual violence.

Unfortunately, he also doesn't shy away from showing it, which I don't think is strictly necessary.

This is the section I was referring to

‘Bairoth Gild and Delum Thord, take your first among the others. I will guard.’
The two warriors grinned, dismounted and plunged among the women to select one each. They vanished into separate houses, leading their prizes by the hand.
Karsa watched with raised brows.
The chief’s wife snorted. ‘Your warriors were not blind to the eagerness of those two,’ she said.
‘Their warriors, be they father or mate, will not be pleased with such eagerness,’ Karsa commented. Uryd women would not—
‘They will never know, Warleader,’ the chief’s wife replied, ‘unless you tell them, and what is the likelihood of that?’

Like I said it's not great, but thankfully the author mostly left that particular direction after that section. I just finished "Book One" of House of Chains and Karsa is rapidly becoming a (mostly, barring the rape spree after escaping from the first slaver) different character, which again, good.

I don't mind the fact that sexual assault exists in the world, but if it's going to be explicitly shown there needs to be a drat good reason IMO. I don't think the first section of this book has demonstrated such a reason, so it (again, to me) feels gratuitous so far this book.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Five books down. The Kindle says I have 92 hours left. Tehol is cool. This is a long series.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

60% through the Complete, on sub-book 3 of book 7. I realize at this point I skip the pre chapter poems all of the time now. They rarely relate to anything happening, or even to any sort of interesting world building.

Are there any good ones or is this a common thing opinion?

It's hard to form an opinion on the series even being 80 hours of reading into it. There are parts that I like and parts I dislike, but something about it makes it very hard to get invested in most characters. Even compared to WoT I feel like there's so many different threads that each gets so little time for me to get invested in something. Tehol/Bugg are great, and I liked Rake+Whiskeyjack and that crew but WJ is dead and Rake hasn't been on screen in the present day since like book 3.

Everyone is just mysterious and guarded all the time and the reveals of stuff that seems like they should be important focuses just disappear for 10 hours at a time as soon as they happen.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The Ninth Layer posted:

I can imagine that reading the series back to back all at once in one big Kindle book can make things kinda blur together too.

One of the big reasons this series owns on a reread is how many little details you sweep past the first time around but really make an impact the second time.

I can totally believe that, there's plenty of stuff I gloss over if I don't want to reference notes. I know there's a Wheel of Time companion app that you can set what book you're on and look up info that'll be curated to avoid spoilers, is there anything similar for Malazan?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Book 7 down.

apology for poor ehrlitan

when were you when letheras dies?

i was sat at home eating sebar jam when karsa ring

‘rhulad is kill’

‘no’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Book 8 down. This one felt very long

Continues the trend of killing any characters I remotely grow to like. I feel like I'm sunk costing these books to some extent at this point. While they certainly have enjoyable moments, I'm undecided if I'm actually enjoying the books as a whole.

Like people said this had a lot of meandering for the first 90% of the book. The climax and such were fun, but after so much buildup some of it couldn't help but feel anticlimactic.

I guess the reveal of Shadowthrone's master plan or whatever is still to come. A few times in the series now he and Cotillion just show up to go "I sure hope it all worked!" at the end of a plot thread with no other explanation. It feels a bit like the Spock bit from the Simpsons. Whatever Karsa's final plan with his people is also still to be resolved. There's also the Forkrul Assail that Karsa freed in his childhood that I think was never mentioned again.

I assume Letheras is still going to come into play again at some point in the next two books, or at least Mael will. I can't imagine we don't have some sort of "look how smart I am" showdown between Kruppe and Tehol. Icarium has to tie in somewhere as well - the machine he built there seems to have....just not done anything? It's not clear if it broke during the Malazan invasion or if it's still just waiting to do something.

Two books left to hopefully resolve those things! It's odd that it's replacing characters that have been culled. I would assume this late in the series that you wouldn't be adding new major players, but Draconus and his kids seem to be just that. Caladan Brood showing up at the end of this book also makes me think he'll be around and doing things.

Is the general consensus that the main 10 books at least end satisfyingly enough?