Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

bagrada posted:

Anyone have any experience grabbing the books early from overseas? Is it just a matter of giving amazon.co.uk some extra money for shipping?

Forge of Darkness releases 7/31 in the UK, and 9/18 in the US. My brother's birthday is 8/11 and he's the type of Erikson fan who spent over a year rereading all 10 books three times in a row seeing how the pieces fell together and finding stuff he missed. Surprising him with an early copy would be awesome, even if its translated into English instead of American.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Forge-Darkness-Steven-Erikson/9780593062180

You can thank me later when your bookshelf collapses on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

I just finished Return of the Crimson Guard and I didn't think it was too bad! Maybe because I took a 4 month break from the series since finishing The Crippled God. But goddamn Kyle.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The Gruntle thing does get elaborated on much more. But you may have missed some foreshadowing depending on how far you are. Has the siege of Capustan happened?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Yeah I read books. posted:

Anyways, I thought it was super cool that there's a book for the necromancers so I snagged that, too - super excited to read it. Anyone have anything good to say about it?

I haven't read the 5th one yet but they are a great read. There is a collection with the first 3. The 4th one is a a bit random but very funny with some good references to the big books.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

adamarama posted:

Are there any good wikis for the series? I'm currently reading Forge of Darkness; I recognise so many names but in a vague way. I've tried the wiki at Malazan Empire but I don't like it; just passages more so than story summaries.

I use this one and it is pretty well maintained

http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Malazan_Wiki

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

You have to consider the events in GotM are huge a huge climax to the first part of the Genbackian campaign and resonate through out the entire Book of the Fallen arc.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

They aren't as good as Erikson but they are no worse than your standard fantasy fare. Quality varies, most people here would say Night of Knives is the worst and Orb Scepter Throne the best. I just finished Blood and Bone and thought it good. The only ICE I haven't read NoK because everyone here was ragging on it. If you like the Malazan world then I would say go for it. In saying that I just started Forge of Darkness and goddamn Erikson is on a whole other level.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

For every question answered, another two appear. Can't wait for the next two books in the trilogy, although the Tiste are depressing as hell.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Blood and Bone ties up a bit more of the fragments of Crippled God. Although I don't remember a resolution.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Leave this thread for your second read through :)

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Yeah no worries remember how Hood dies? well at the end of TCG you find out that all the characters you liked from the books who died go on living full and happy lives in the new realm of death writing Purst and Kruppe fan fiction. Hope that goes towards making you feel better. Also all the K'chain blade arms are replaced with real ones and you learn all the hunters really wanted was a hug.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Re: the Parans I think it is more likely that Ganoes considers himself 'old guard' rather than a member of the Talon. Tavore we know so little about so and she has the necklace so sure why not

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Reading Forge of Darkness actually makes me interested to reread those parts of Toll The Hounds. Probably wait for the Kharkanas trilogy to wind up first though.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Forge of Darkness is exceptional. Korbal and Broach fun but only obliquely related, ICE novels as follows: OST > stoneweilder > blood and bone > rotcg > night of knives.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Just what we needed, another 'Traveller' type character.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Tres Burritos posted:

So I'm getting to the end of Deadhouse Gates and there are a couple things that have been bothering the poo poo out of me.

1) How it's just casually dropped that the emperor became and "Ascendant" with his buddy or whatever
1a) What that even means. What the gently caress is an ascendant.

2) Coltaine punches one of the marines in the face and everyone goes "My gosh! They're almost ascendants!" What? How?! Where does that leap even come from?
2a) See 1a.

Coltaine is an Ascendant, he shouldn't have broken his hand.

For 1a) you just have to keep reading. And 1) is one of the reveals that I really like about the 2nd book.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Tres Burritos posted:

Yeah, but where does it mention that? Or is it revealed at just that moment? I was so confused.

It's implied there, but not obvious. That's why Coltaine cracks a grin. Finish the book though :).

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Hmm I always got the impression that she didn't really want to kill off all her old guard friends but still had to look like she had control of the empire. Hence whenever some semi ascendant falls off a boat she is quick to say they died and never really look for a body. Either that or sending them to Genebackis to fight the Crimson Guard and Pale cabal was a death sentence and still good because she couldn't be directly accused of killing whiskeyjack and one arm which who were popular with the troops.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

gregarious Ted posted:

I'm about 40% through Dust of Dreams now, and I can't for the life of me remember who Taxilian et al are. They are wandering around in a Keychain Shemale skykeep with some ghost, and his name seems familiar, but I can't remember who he is, or if I'm supposed to know who any of the other dudes are (Breath, some other losers I can't recall).

Taxilian was on the slave ship that bought Karsa to Lethari. And I think maybe there is a ghost who is one of the bad Lethari guys who activated Icarum's device?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Assail comes out this month! And I was disappointed to find the latest Bauchlain and Korbal Broach short story can only be bought in a 30 dollar hard cover.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Didn't look for ebooks. My Assail preorder from bookdepository in the UK says 21 days. From what I remember the UK editions are published months before the US.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Abalieno posted:

Err, nope. Assail won't come out until March (may be delayed to July), and Fall of Light is June (and may be delayed further). US releases may be later than that.

Well drat.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Tooter posted:

Just finished Forge of Darkness. I want the rest of the series to be done already! That book took everything I thought I knew and understood and just turned it on its head. Spectacular!

To make your wait more painful the blurb for the next book, Fall of Light just got posted on Amazon.

Spoilers galore if you haven't read Forge of Darkness

"It is a bitter winter and civil war now ravages Kurald Galain, as Urusander's Legion prepares to march upon the city of Kharkanas. The rebels' only opposition lies scattered, bereft of a leader since Anomander's departure in search of his estranged brother, Andarist. The last brother remaining, Silchas Ruin, rules in Anomander's stead. He seeks to gather the Houseblades of the Highborn Noble families and resurrect the Hust Legion in the southlands, but is fast running out of time. The officers and leaders of Urusander's Legion, led by Hunn Raal, want the Consort, Draconus, cast aside and Vatha Urusander wedded to Mother Dark, taking his place on a throne at the side of the Living Goddess. But this union will be far more than political, as a sorcerous power has claimed those opposing Mother Dark - given form by the exiled High Priestess Syntara, the Cult of Light rises in answer to Mother Dark and her Children. Far to the west, an unlikely army has gathered, seeking an enemy without form, in a place none can find, and commanded by a Jaghut driven mad with grief. Hood's call has been heard, and the long-abandoned city of Omtose Phellack is now home to a rabble of new arrivals. From the south have come Dog-Runners and Jheck warriors. From the Western Sea strange ships have grounded upon the harsh shore, with blue-skinned strangers arriving to offer Hood their swords. And from the North, down from mountain fastnesses and isolated valleys, Toblakai arrive, day and night, to pledge themselves to Hood's impossible war. Soon, all will set forth - or not at all - under the banners of the living. Soon, weapons will be drawn, with Death itself the enemy. Beneath the chaos of such events, and spanning the realm and those countless other realms hidden behind its veil, magic now bleeds into the world. Unconstrained, mysterious and savage, the power that is the lifeblood of the Azathanai, K'rul, runs loose and wild. Following its scent, seeking the places of wounding where the sorcery rushes forth, entities both new and ancient are gathering. And they are eager to feed. Comprehending the terrible risk of his gift of blood, a weakened, dying K'rul sets out, in the company of a lone guardian, to bring order to this newborn sorcery - alas, his choice of potential allies is suspect. In the name of order, K'rul seeks its greatest avowed enemy."

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

I wonder if anyone has sat down and spelt out what all the deck foreshadowing means. Guess it'll be easier on a second read through.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

You'll have Assail to tide you over soon :)

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Blood and Bone has Old Man Moon who seems pretty boss.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

From the Amazon description for that new K&B book: 'Series: Malazan Book of the Fallen (Book 11)' ;)

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

It's been out for awhile in the UK in an expensive hardcover edition. I managed to hold out for this cheaper US release. If there are subtle nods to the previous books looks like I'll give them a reread first. It's been too long since I read Crack'd Pot Trail anyway.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Yeah I was going to say all issues Erikson has with critics and audiences are well explored in that book.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Do we know it is on Wu though? Pretty sure we don't other than the fact some familiar races are there and some maybe references to Kallor's kingdom.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Man The Wurms of Blearmouth had me grinning like an idiot from start to finish. I like how all the Nemenethani are fleshed out across the 5 K&B books.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

All signs point to nothing amazing unfortunately.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

tuluk posted:

want to get a 2nd opinion on the ending of cracked pot trail.
So the nememothanai were tricked into thinking that that Bauchelain and Korbal Broach were with them all along.
Does anyone have an alternate take on that plot point?

That's it. The entire book is an analogy for the relationship between the artist and the audience.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

If I ever re-read this series, I'm going to have a map in front of me, and draw little lines with approximate dates of when different characters are where. I think I'll need to draw my own map using SVG or it will be unreadable. On that topic: are legally distributable electronic versions of the in-book maps available in a non-EPUB format?

Here are your maps http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Special:NewFiles

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

You learn that the Errant was already a little poo poo a long time ago when you read Forge of Darkness.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

It's amazing. Turns everything you thought you knew on its head and makes the wait for the other two books in the trilogy painful.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

If you really can't get through book 1, just read a summary and try book 2. If book 2 isn't your thing then I wouldn't persist.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

But Night of Knives was good...?

Maybe for generic fantasy, but not Malazan Book of the Fallen good.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Thank goodness Erikson is a quick writer. I don't think I could wait GRMM periods of time for Fall of Light after how good Forge of Darkness was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

They're all set after the series, order is Orb Scepter Throne, Blood and Bone, Assail.
None of them are very good.

You're wrong. They happen simultaneously with the last two or three Erickson books and are directly related to (big spoilers) fragments of the Crippled God being brought together . You are however right, that none of them are amazing. Some are good by fantasy standards especially OST and to a lesser degree the Stormrider book but otherwise..