Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I was told like a year ago to post reactions in here from my first reading of these books. Sorry it took me so long.

Holy loving poo poo Anomander Rake just cut the goddamned head off of the God of Death, this poo poo is hosed up
^^spoilers from book 8 chapter 20^^

Thank you random goon for recommending this series to me in the book suggestion thread a long rear end time ago.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Tool got TWO happy endings and I'm dreading Tool showing up in the unwritten Karsa trilogy for a 3rd happy ending.

Speaking of which, how come his wife came back from the dead all of a sudden in the end? I'm assuming I missed something because to me that just came out of nowhere

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Papal Mainframe posted:

I'm only in book three, and this has been one of my favorite parts of Malazan, when you make a connection between stories, or figure out something about the way magic works or certain relationships, etc. It's awesome :3:

Because of stuff like this I want to re-read the whole thing at some point in the not too distant future. I imagine there will also be a whole lot of connections in the other direction, ie "Oh, that thing was introduced here already? That's so cool and explains that thing five books in the future!"

Speaking of, I've recently started on the first book in the Kharkanas trilogy and someone named T'Riss just showed up and I can't pinpoint why I feel like I recognize the name from the Malazan books. Was she even in there, or am I imagining things?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah, named in at least the Bonehunters and some dramatis personae - it's the Queen of Dreams.

Oh, thanks!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Fenrir posted:

When I finished the series a couple years ago, I took a 2 or 3 month break then read the whole drat thing again. There was so much I uncovered on the second read that it was almost better than the first, even with it all still so fresh in my mind.

Neat. My plan right now is to read the Kharkanas books that are done and then restart at Garden of the Moon.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

I think it went: Letheri trade war bankrupted the blueroses, letheri took annual dettachments of bluerose calvary as tribute in lieu of debt payment,
bluerose calvary trained the letheri army in utterly retarded stirrup placement as a secret revenge.

That sounds like something different but it's still funny as hell

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I just realized during my reread that in book 3 of the Malazan series you find out great ravens came from the flesh of the Crippled God. I thought that was something that came up in the very end of the Malazan series.

I did remember the Kallor candles, though. It's interesting what you remember and not.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Midnight Tides has Moroch Nevath who gets one of my favourite deaths in the whole series. Even if I did just have to look up their name,

Agreed. And Brys cutting Ruhlad to pieces. And also the Ceda. It really is a fantastic book, I love midnight tides.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I'm rereading Toll the Hounds and just realized that the board game the Tiste Andii play with multiple kings and all that jazz (Kef Tanar) is probably based on the mock battle the kid (it was either Orfantal or his friend Wreneck) and the super old dying dude (Hust maybe? I can't remember) have when the real battle at the end of Fall of Light happens, and was probably invented by that kid, which I thought was really cool.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Another really good duo that is seldom mentioned is Pores and Kindly. The relationship between them is one of the best ones in the books.

But Tehol and Bugg are still better.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Schwza posted:

It has been a while since I read Fall of Light, am I remembering correctly that in some storage room there was an ancient painting depicting a war with Draconus in the scene. Was it implied that he had failed with an earlier Tiste civilization and this was his second go at making his favored creatures flourish?

Been a while for me too but that sounds right to me. If not more than his second go.

I liked the Kharkas books as well. Sure, sometimes there was a bit too much with the philosophy but it was really neat to read about the origin about a lot of the characters and when stuff does happen, it was really drat good.

And there were some kickass characters too. The bridge guards turned hust legion commanders were awesome.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I finished the Crippled God for the second time yesterday and I still can't for the life of me understand why the gently caress Blistig was allowed to stay on as a fist for as long as he did. Could someone please explain to me?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is he even that bad? Sure, his demeanour and grouchyness is appalling, but he's still pretty competent.

I read it as he does literally nothing but complain and get drunk and tell his soldiers they're all gonna die for nothing while the other fists pick up the slack for like three books. Except when he has marines killed for water he tried to steal for himself (which is already gone) in the desert and stabs Pores.

Maybe between all of that crap he orders people around but not in a way that I recall being mentioned in the books.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 4, 2018

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

kingturnip posted:

I think Tavore says it's because he's one of the only people to have actual first-hand knowledge of the Chain of Dogs (albeit from the walls of Aren). If he dies, who's there to remember it?, given that it's not clear whether Tavore knows that Duiker is alive.
If she'd demoted him to Captain, he'd have been shanked by his squads (because he's an utter tool) and he wasn't a competent enough soldier to be a Sergeant.

Huh. Yeah, she does say that but to me it never explained why he got to stay a fist.

However, what you say is true, he would've been mega murdered if he wasn't a fist (there's actually a bunch of marines that stop themselves just because he is a fist and it would be mutinous against Tavore to stab her fist). So that explains it, thanks!

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 5, 2018

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

kingturnip posted:

Bear in mind that Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God are basically one book split in two so that you don't sprain your wrist from the act of reading it. Taken as a single book, yes, it is very good.

The finale of Toll The Hounds is clearly important for what comes afterwards. That said, I barely skimmed the Harllo sections on my re-read - I think the themes of 'the corruption of the young' work better in House of Chains (with Bidithal's gang of female genital mutilation girls) - and Stonny's role is so one-note it could be an entirely new character once Gruntle leaves.

Likewise, Crokus' role - once he's delivered Scillara and Barathol - is fairly pointless, since we've seen enough of him since GOTM to know that he's outgrown Darujhistan without needing to see him finding it out for himself.

I like the Nom-Nom bits - those were fun. And - sad though it was - the storyline of K'rul's Bar was good.
And, of course, the finale is superb - I think it has The Crippled God beat in terms of :tviv: but TCG's finale is something like 250 pages long, so it's more epic.

On my reread most of Toll the Hounds was just me anxiously waiting for what I knew was to come in the end because it has some of the best moments.

Harllo finally getting his mom after all that poo poo
The spiteful T'lan Imass going for revenge against Raest without so much as managing to be slightly bothersome
Cutter "duelling" one of the people I hated the most in all the books
The guild of assassins loosing pretty much all of their power because they're hired to kill some tavern keepers
Lady Envy or Lady Spite (I can't remember which) being genuinely afraid of a bard
The first time we see Hood, and what happens when the lord of death hangs out around mortals

It also had my biggest "HOLY poo poo" moment when I read it the first time. Rake unceremoniously just lobbing the head off of Death

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Ben Nerevarine posted:

10% left in Crippled God. The assault on the Spire is one hell of an unforgettable chapter.

Gesler going down while punching an Assail so hard her shoulder breaks is such a Gesler thing to do. Stormy's death is just terrible to read (I mean that in a good way)

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Finished the main series and after a malazan break I'll be going into the other ones. What's everyone's rec to start. I know crimson guard is generally frowned upon.

Kharkanas, imo. It's really good with the main series fresh in your memory.

Also, they're really good and all the haters are wrong.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

BigHead posted:

Don't forget the chained God's body was also stored in the great ravens. That's why rake's great raven buddy shows up out of loving nowhere in the middle of the finale. I have no idea if the coltain crows and great ravens are related but there you go. They probably aren't related. Crows travel in murders as everyone knows, but ravens prefer pairs or tight knit family units. Crows also go caw, while ravens go croak. Ravens are like writing desks, while crows resemble an abacus. There are other differences (ability to carry Wiccan souls vs godly corporeal forms notwithstanding) too if anyone wants a really interesting lecture.

I loved it when I realized on my reread that it is revealed that Crone and the Great Ravens are the flesh of TCG in pretty much the first introduction to Great Ravens in the very first book. Then it's just not mentioned until the very end.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I can remember that coming up in book 3, whats the hint in book 1?

I don't remember exactly but Crone either says it or thinks it. As in it's not even a vague hint, it's clearly stated.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

CoolHandMat posted:

goons were mentioning Bonehunters a page or two ago and i wanted to dust off this theory, havent seen it out there much if at all, i invite you to prove me wrong, if you can...

In the Bonehunters Sin saves everyone (well not everyone some get fried) from the fire elemental right? but is Sin truly just another undiscovered High Mage? (there do seem to be a bunch of them around... Beak(rip), QB, Bottle? ) or is does Sin somehow become the fire elemental? or does she bond with it, take it into herself somehow?

'What do you mean?'

'I mean a fire elemental's being born here, I think. A fire spirit, a godling. We got a firestorm on the way, and that will announce its arrival – and that's when we die if we ain't dead already. But an elemental is alive. It's got a will, a mind, damned hungry and eager to kill. But it knows fear, fear because it knows it won't last long – too fierce, too hot – days at best. And it knows other kinds of fear, too, and that's where maybe I can do something – illusions. Of water, but not just water. A water elemental.' He stared round at the others, who were all staring back, then shrugged. 'Maybe, maybe not. How smart is an elemental? Got to be smart to be fooled, you see. Dog-smart, at least, better if it was smarter. Problem is, not everybody agrees that elementals even exist. I mean, I'm convinced it's a good theory—'

Balm cracked him across the head. 'All this on a theory? You wasted all that air on that? Gods below, Widdershins, I'm minded to kill you right now.' He rose. 'Let's get going, while we can. To Hood with the damned palace – let's take the alley opposite and when the theoretical elemental arrives we can shake its hand and curse it to the nonexistent Abyss. Come on – and you, Widdershins, not another word, got it?'
Bonehunters Chapter 7

I've never read this theory but had the exact same one on my second read through.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Cardiac posted:

My mailbox says tomorrow.
Also not through Amazon.
Something something book release schemes in different countries.

I've seen people post pictures of it in a facebook group I'm in so it seems to be out.

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

I managed to finish book 1 after about 10 tries. It wasn't bad it was just a difficult read for some reason. It sounds like book 2 and up are easier to get through?

Book 2 is easier, yes. Seems pretty common for people to struggle through book 1 but start to get interested, start to really enjoy themselves on book 2 and be absolutely hooked on book 3.

If you want to post thoughts and reactions as you go along, at least I like reading those from first timers.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

snoremac posted:

I forget: is convergence a fan term for how characters always converge at the end of a Malazan book or does it have a similar kind of meaning within the books?

A convergence is a thing in-universe. They probably say it a lot more but off the top of my head I know they call it a Convergence at the end of Deadhouse Gates where all the D'Ivers and Soletaken go to the Azath to be blown up by Fiddler.

Edit: I just read this in Gardens of the Moon:

‘Convergence,’ Tool said. ‘Power ever draws other power. It is not a complicated thought, yet it escaped us, the Imass.’

So that's another example.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 28, 2019

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I decided to read this for the first time. There's 5 pages of DRAMATIS PERSONAE at the start of the first book. gently caress.

The first two chapters are also really long and hard but like Strom Cuzewon said it gets much more enjoyable about a third of the through.

If you want to post thoughts and reactions as you go along I want to read them. If you feel like you should recognize something from way earlier but you don't remember we can probably help out without spoiling things.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Cardiac posted:

Not by his choice.
Nightchill is an Elder God.

What, I don't remember this at all. Could someone explain please?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Holy poo poo I'm psyched for this to come out

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

COOL CORN posted:

So I'm reading the first book now, and... Well I'm told it gets better. I like the story and the setting is great but good lord does he ever begin sitting characters who have normal loving conversations? Everything is like

"Where do you want to eat," the man snarled, his lips a thin curl.
Her breath caught in her throat, as she remembered an ancient poem.
"Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun..." A tear welled up in her eye.
"Hood's breath, woman!" The man gruffed, gruffly. "speak plainly!"
"You know its name as well as I..." The woman said frowning in a way that was angry and sad at the same time.
Her head pounded and she rubbed her temples.

Like just have a simple conversation without it being so drat grimdark.

Real talk though I am enjoying it

:perfect:

Glad you're enjoying it, though! We love hearing first readers first thoughts so if you feel like posting yours go for it.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

cptn_dr posted:

I'm partial to Hood's opinion. "Never much liked them" indeed.

This is probably one of the bits that had me laughing the hardest just from the sheer absurdity of it.

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

"I have had enough of your justice," is definitely my favorite line in the series

And I also completely agree with this. That guy is the bomb

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Speaking of MoI I'm rereading and wondering what you all think Garath might be?

Spoilers through Memories of Ice:

Garath is Lady Envy's dog friend who is the size of a hound of shadow. She says Garath could be a Hound of Shadow but is reluctant. Erikson has said that Garath was a thing that he made up in case he wanted more hounds but it never got any further than that so all speculation about this is just speculation.

I personally like the idea that it's one of the hounds Rake killed in GotM who, through dying, broke free from its bonds to Shadow who just doesn't want to come back. More likely is that it's just another type of hound that's not Darkness or Shadow aligned.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Aaw, that's nice. I should probably reread the Kharkanas books but it would be nice if the trilogy was finished first. I liked them! Espescially the Jaghut stuff was interesting to me.

Tulas Shorn is one of my favorite characters in the main series by the way. His inner monologue on animals is heart breaking.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Rereading and saw this bit in House of Chains. The foreshadowing! [Main series spoilers - The whole thing]

"A low altar caught Karsa’s attention. Some lowlander god, signified by a small clay statue — a boar, standing on its hind legs. The Teblor knocked it to the earthen floor, then shattered it with a single stomp of his heel."

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Andrigaar posted:

Finished "House of Chains" a few days ago and have been taking a moment to digest instead of just grabbing "Midnight Tides" off the stack.

It's probably been said a hundred times, but I seriously wish I had an ebook copy so I could search for how many times " chain" shows up as a text string. It's probably not as many times as it seemed.

Boy howdy do I have a site for you!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Just a random question.

Spoilers regarding Sinn I guess

Is it ever explained how Sinn goes from being a young woman when Kalam meets her to becoming a child later or is that just one of those things that changed suddenly with no explanation?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
The first time she shows up in HoC it literally says "the woman approaching was young, slight and pallid" which is what confused me because that seems a whole lot older than she seems later.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

COOL CORN posted:

Which reminds me that the audiobook's pronunciation of names, and my pronunciation of names are wildly different.

Challice vs. shuh-LEECE
Jah-GOOT vs. JAG-hut

etc.

If it makes you feel any better neither of the audio books asked Erikson about pronunciations and according to him they both get tons of it wrong!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

kingturnip posted:

"I have never much liked Forkrul Assail" is still one of my favourite one-liners from the series.

"I HAVE HADE ENOUGH -- OF -- YOUR -- JUSTICE"

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Having recently reread this I can confirm that the canoos are the barghast and the small force is the grey swords made from the cannibals worshipping the wolfgods.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Was Tool ever fired from being First Sword? I thought he still held the title while he was traveling with Envy and co in Memories of Ice? The title was one of the big reasons why the Seguleh were so keen on dueling him, and when he lost to Mok, Kilava got pissed and tried to kill Mok for beating the First Sword of the T'lan Imass. I'm pretty sure First Sword of the Empire is a separate title from First Sword of the T'lan Imass. The rest of what you said checks out though.

They thought they took the title away from Tool but it didn't count because Kellanved didn't have that authority IIRC

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I think that yes I've noticed it but I personally like it, even though it's dumb in a lot of ways. The scenes that are a someone just walking away that has nothing to do with anything, maybe, are endearing to me personally but I can totally see how they also are just wasteful trash words to someone else. I love how it's not set up at the beginning and how nothing makes sense at the start, but if it's not for you it's not for you and there's nothing wrong with that.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Jan posted:

I'm in the middle of rereading Dust of Dreams, and I'm gonna be quite honest: I just skipped absolutely everything Barghast related past O'nos Toolan's death. The stuff that happens after that is vile and the characters are so irrelevant that I didn't seem to lose anything from skipping a whole chapter.

I do that too on my rereads. I understand his thinking leaving it in there but that doesn't mean that I have to read it ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Wolfsheim posted:

I do remember WJ's sister being claimed by Hood which is why the Queen of Dreams was annoyed when Leoman brought her along on his escape route, but they seemed like such a team that it was very odd to me that when he finally returns in ICE's book she doesn't seem to get referenced at all.

I always thought that was the Errant's doing for some reason