Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Finished. What a ride.

Now, can anyone tell me in three sentences or less what exactly ST and Cot's master plan was and why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Ends! They are loose!

I was really hoping for Fist Blistig to get what was coming to him. Never happened. Lame. Same with the Errant. We could have used three more epilogues at least.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

I feel like this book could very appropriately have been titled:

A Dance With Dragons: Book 10 of the Malazan Book of Ice and Fire.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Illuyankas posted:

Tiam works the same way.

:golfclap:

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

qbert posted:

NoK was so painful to get through, and the only reason I did was because it was relatively short. I can't take 700+ pages of that same quality of writing/characterization.

Then don't do it. It is a step up from NoK, but it's still barely on par with a mediocre Forgotten Realms novelization, only less entertaining. You will likely regret the time wasted.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

A Nice Boy posted:

Stuff.

That's a drat nice avatar you got there.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Juaguocio posted:

Yeah, Picker went on a weird spirit quest after getting hurt by the assassins who attacked K'rul's Bar. Apparently the torcs she wore in MoI marked her as chosen by the gods of war, because they gave her the message to give to Karsa. Which raises the question of whether or not Fener willingly allowed himself to be sacrificed...

I dunno, but he was chilling with the Errant in MT or RG, so that's probably where his alliances were....

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Square Pair posted:

Anyway going to start at book 1. Was only 1/4 the way through Reaper's Gale before putting it down in confusion.

This is definitely not a series you can understand jumping in at the middle. Hell, it's hard enough at the beginning.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

the periodic fable posted:

are you sure that wasn't Rudd Elalle, Udinaas' son?

No, there were a few odd typos. Brys turned into Boys at an inopportune moment.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Reading Malazan and then moving on to The Wise Man's Fear has been really jarring. I enjoyed Name of the Wind a good deal, but now it just seems like young adult fiction. You can really tell that Rothfuss doesn't have anywhere near the life experience of someone like Erikson.

Granted, the writing is fluid and a lot of his ideas are great, but it's funny to me when he tries to describe hardship or pain. Rothfuss spent nine years going to school in central Wisconsin; he doesn't have any idea what the world is like beyond ramen and textbooks, and it shows. It doesn't help that Kvothe is such an unlikable Mary Sue....

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

A Nice Boy posted:

Rothfuss stuff.

Not to derail too much, but it really doesn't help when your premise is "the truth behind the legend is not at all what it seems," and then it turns out that Kvothe is actually pretty much exactly what he seems: awesome at everything from music to academics to magic to fighting to love(!). As a character he's incredibly boring.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

qbert posted:

Hopefully Stonewielder won't suck when I eventually get to it.

It will.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Azure_Horizon posted:

Night of Knives was focused, had interesting characters and fleshed out that particular world-changing event really well.

Of the three things you listed, only the first is actually true.

ICE's method is to render interesting characters dull, and use pages upon pages to add essentially nothing to the story.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

bigmcgaffney posted:

Both of these are linked to the same interview with Esslemont.

SE: http://the-void.co.uk/book/interview-drat-contrarian-steven-erikson-conversation-094/

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

silly posted:

The real strengths of this series were in the middle books.

This is definitely true. Books 2-5 were the peak of the series, as much as I hate to admit it.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Abalieno posted:

The arc may be slightly obfuscated because it will complete in Esslemont's books, but it is there and it's very specific. It was there all along and was never betrayed.

The arc of the Book of the Fallen is complete and whole. ICE's stuff is part of the world, but not an integral part of the story that Erikson was telling.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Ika posted:

Instead of a korbal bauch miniseries, he should make one for these.

I would like a series of Erikson-written short stories about Iron Bars running through crowds, effortless breaking the necks of various badasses without breaking his stride.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

I like the part where that guy turns into a dragon and eats people.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

First in, last out :colbert:

Last in, looking around. :clint:

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Bizob posted:

a dragon raping an entire village to death one by one

I'd vote for that dragon.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

And that would be a travesty.

Tell me again about that Tiste Edur with the spear... :allears:

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

A Nice Boy posted:

Those crazy strong rear end mages[...]that aren't ambitious, don't feel like it. There are three of them, I think.

I don't think their story would be all that exciting.

The image of Hank Hill and his buddies standing out back drinking beer comes to mind...

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Loving Life Partner posted:

Someone on the Malazan FB community did some cool cover designs. Guess he's gunna do a whole set:

Those are pretty badass. They look like pulp science fiction, which I'm okay with.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

You'd think people would've seen that coming...

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Juaguocio posted:

One of the most annoying things about this series is that a lot of characters have very similar sounding names, which only adds to the general confusion.

I like that some people have the same names. It's more realistic, even if having two characters named Pearl was awfully confusing for a bit.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

L.E. Cheetah posted:

Well, this explains the Che'Malle, I guess. Giant dinosaurs with swords for hands that can fly airplanes. It sounds like some nerd group's epic injoke.

Don't forget the dinosaurs with tesla-coil backbacks.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

A Nice Boy posted:

and wait however long to get a new one. Fuckers. :argh:

Meh. I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

More archaeologists should do fantasy books then.

Only if they're like Erikson and not ICE.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

WeWereSchizo posted:

There's nothing flat about either of those characters.

Nothing except Kalam's abs.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

A Nice Boy posted:

I never pictured kalam as the six pack type, considering that he's always described as "bear like" and "hulking." He's one of those dudes whose big in every way without seeming fat at all.

In my mind he has always been Lebron James.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Masonity posted:

Kruppe, Tehol, Pust, Whiskeyjack, Fiddler and Rake all speak with the same voice? o.O They have one hell of a vocal range then.

Not to mention Karsa, Rhulad, Stormy and Gesler, Corabb, etc etc

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

Nobody's mentioned the Stonny/Gruntle romance plot? That one was really well done. Two people who care about each other, but have enough flaws and enough pride to always end up apart. They are like Crokus/Apsalar only believable.

I prefer the Stormy/Gesler broromance myself.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Wow, that Coltaine cover. Badass, but still... Spoiler alert.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

zokie posted:

So then they all predicted that he would get caught in Dragnipur, and Draconus knowing that his own invention would be used against him made plans. But then again, he didn't know that it would be shattered by Brood, since he was planning to create a god within it. If the god would release him or give more power to the cart? I'm not sure.

He changed it from a sword that would annihilate to one that would imprison. Seems pretty clear to me.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Abalieno posted:

In the end you have to trust the writer, and not let appearances deceit. It's a long work. Obviously one wonders if "it's worth it", but that's not something that one can tell you. It requires the "faith" part.

Steven Erikson spotted.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Divers.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Juaguocio posted:

I swear to Hood, if Erikson writes one more prolonged desert crossing I am going to seriously re-evaluate my opinion of him.

This is where that one guy comes in to defend desert-crossing as the epitome of post-modern fantasy literature.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Metonymy posted:

edit: Enjoy the series.

Dude. Forget that guy. You've articulated your points well.

All I can say is that I shared many of the same thoughts at first. Yes, you've sunk a lot of time and effort into these things. Read the third book. If you still feel the same way then nothing will change your mind.

Gardens sucks, and Deadhouse Gates is iffy on the first read. Memories of Ice is amazing though, and you might change your tune.

So give it a shot and see what you think.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Benson Cunningham posted:

How about Laseen? Her story was abandoned after Tavore made her escape from Malazan City.

Did I miss the part of the story where you learn all about Greymane and why he is a huge badass?

Refer to the works of ICE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Lunchtray posted:

And that mote of dust is in-fact a part of a T'Lan Imass who's attempted to submit to oblivion by spreading itself out as far as possible across Kharkanas.

Now that would be cool. Unfortunately, I'm banking that Abalieno co-wrote the Kharkanas trilogy so it's going to be 100% philosophizing and post-modern defiance of genre tropes.