Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Conduit for Sale! posted:

You could say you are enraptored by the book.

New thread title? I think so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

pakman posted:

The only other one I can think of is either Iron Bars or Corlo.

It's actually given away in GotM or DHG as a throwaway line. So not technically a spoiler, but he's Dassem.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Yarrbossa posted:

I'm about 80% through Midnight Tides, and I've been introduced to Iron Bars, who is a total badass. His entourage and him alone have made me instantly want to learn more about the Crimson Guard. Is this I.C.E. territory, or does it get touched on during the main series?

Unfortunately, Iron Bars is at his badass peak in MT.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Detritus.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

rejutka posted:

Idris Elba? Deceptively big, as I discovered watching Luther.

He'd be perfect.

Or LeBron James.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Aranan posted:

Iron Bars is awesome. I kind of forgot about him until just now. Can't wait until my reread gets back to him.

He was probably my favorite part of Midnight Tides, which is saying a lot. His appearances elsewhere in the series (read: Esslemont) were much less memorable.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Levitate posted:

Guy writes a few large women into his massive 10 book series that spans over 10 thousand pages and goons immediately assert that he has a fatty fetish.

To be fair, it's pretty obvious.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

After my first pass through the series, I was left with a few lingering impressions. Ochre, potsherds, philosoldiers, dinosaurs, and fat chicks.

Might not be a fetish per se, but it definitely stands out.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

Second, uh -- do we know anything about Erikson's sci fi novel coming out in a few months? I just bumped into it on Amazon and had to do a double take. The cover and description make it sound sort of generic as hell but I rather suspect that won't be the case.

Here's a sample chapter: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/11/steven-erikson-willful-child-preview

I found it pretty entertaining.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

apophenium posted:

The prose is good and the tragedies are oppressive.

I wholeheartedly agree. He's like the anti-Rothfuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Charlie Mopps posted:

I just finished Memories of Ice for the first time and it was awesome, so i immediately started with House of Chains, but that first chapter is leaving such a sour taste in my mouth. What a terrible chapter, easily the worst of all i've read so far. It reads like some fanfic from a computer game about some awesome youth killing dozens of people and having sex with loads of women who all bend willingly because they are so awesome. Ugh, just terrible from start to finish and the fact that its the first chapter promises that those characters will keep coming back.

I've seen this criticism so many times and I still don't get it. The first half of HoC was loving amazing. It's a fantasy novel. Barbarians rampage and kill poo poo, what's not to like? It's no less well-written than the rest of the series and the fact that Karsa later evolves into something more nuanced is just gravy.

:black101: