Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm thinking about finally picking up this series for plane flight reading. Two questions: is it available on kindle, and, after looking at that graphic at the start of the thread, is there a "best accepted" reading order? Just go by the numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Yes, go by the numbers no matter what people tell you. Just accept that your favorite characters might disappear for entire books at a time.

I can deal, I've been reading Wheel of Time since the 90's.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nigulus Rex posted:

I can't see in what life you'll finish this series if it's for "plane reading," just sayin.

I've got two 30 hour plane flights coming up to New Zealand and back, and I read ~1000+ pages a day when I'm reading pulp fiction. So I need something with enough bulk to keep me occupied :P

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

The Gunslinger posted:

In the other thread we had a mini discussion about how Erikson's naming convention consists of looking around the room he happens to be writing in.

Yeah, I'm burning through the series right now on my kindle for the first time ( I think I'm on book eight, though I've started skimming heavily) and while the books definitely have their strengths, jesus H. jumpingchrist, the n'ames are j'ust f'ucking Gibb'erush.

edit: not so much the actual character names as the proper nouns. Every time I see "T'lan Imass" or "Starvald Demelain" what I think is "random syllables are not a fantasy language." Some aren't so bad -for example, tiste edur/andii etc. which clearly have some linguistic structure -- but about half the time he might as well be telling me about the nation of the R'andom Sllyablez people and their warren of AreThose YourFries.

It makes me really wince because, yeah, the series has some great strengths, it's just. . .whew. At its best, this series has some great fantasy moments, but at worst . . it's like if Robert Jordan tried to write a Glen Cook novel in China Mieville's voice. None of them are bad writers, but put them all together at once and it can get a little grating sometimes.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 12, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Abalieno posted:

Quoting Erikson again:

Yeah, I'm sure he's got a reason for it and it's all explained but on a first read it can be painful to slog through. It ends up coming across more as "here, have a big hefty ladle of Fantasy Language" rather than as a justified narrative choice. Another author I like has stated he tries to never use more than one invented word per sentence, just so you don't get distracted by it, and that's a rule I wish Erikson had followed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
How can you tell if the extra apostrophes are an error or just a new proper noun? :P

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Who changed the thread title? :respek:

Heh, I was wondering how long it would take people to notice that :P

edit: it took slightly more than a week

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zorak of Michigan posted:

It's rather less Twitter and more observing the experience of my genderqueer kid, my friend parenting a transgender kit, a coworker transitioning, and a friend transitioning. I don't have a lot of patience for gender essentialism anymore. A careful reading might also note that at no point did I say "ruined" or even complain that I was offended. I said I feel differently about it than I did decades ago. I can't help but wonder if you actually read what I wrote or just decided that a person who would make a post like mine must be a person you're mad at.

That's a fair thought (the show looks to be trying to update the books a bit on these sorts of issues, which is great).

That said let's keep WoT discussion in one of the several WoT threads, it's kinda off-topic for the Malazan thread. Thanks!