Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Just finished TCG last night so I can finally follow the Malazan threads again.
About TCG, it's more general things, putting it in spoiler just in case.
The first half of the book felt boring, to me it was a giant pile of emo in a desert. It felt like it was really blown way out of proportion, and the only thing that made me keep reading on was the fact that I know Erikson has weaker parts in almost all books. And of course the PoV changes to the fun characters like Ganoes and Kalam/QB. But I think I could have skipped pretty much all the early desert chapters and miss nothing, that's how little is actually happening.
And then the last few chapters where everything comes together, but a lot of it felt rushed and we seem to miss some big parts that could have been included if not for the wasted space in the first half.
- What was the point of spending 20% of TCG on the Greyhelms, and then in the end we don't even know where they ended up. (Yes I don't like that story at all.)
- Why do we suddenly need childhood memories of 10 different soldiers describing their homeland and upbringing, do that in book 1-9 please.
- What exactly happens at the spire after the heart is being carried away.

I guess I expected a lot more based on the earlier books of the series and several important and fun characters got little to no "screen time" and there seems little to redeem that.

Wish we'd have the scene where Tehol and Bugg arrive to pick up Brys after all is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I'd recommend any book with Tehol/Bugg in it, these two deserve their own book.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Meet Tehol and Bugg and your tune will change to that you don't like the Tiste Edurs because they are taking screen time away from Tehol.

This.

There can never be enough Tehol. And I heard Bugg makes the best soup in entire Letheras.