Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

kingturnip posted:

Yeah, ICE goes for 'wacky, bumbling Kellanved'.
Erikson goes for 'crazy uncle Kellanved'. Similar, but Erikson's take leaves room for Kellanved to be outright sadistic as well as somewhat compassionate at times.

That said, the Path to Ascendancy books are about Dancer more than Kellanved. That doesn't excuse the fact that basically no relationship-building actually happens within the books - I don't think there's a single point in the three books that shows me why Dancer would actually consider Kellanved a friend.

I never picked up that Dancer and Kellanved were supposed to be friends. Seems like they were initially allies of convenience, and that worked out for them, so they stuck with it despite not being 'friends'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

I've read through 3 times so far, and the early books gain a lot of context in a re-read. I bounced on GotM when I first picked it up, then heard enough good about the series that I went back and slogged through. After finishing the series and rereading a few years later, knowing the timelines for all the characters really made it more compelling.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

I've begun my long planned reread of the whole series and a) it starts a lot stronger than I remember and b) how extensive was the rewrite? I remember hearing that there was a sort of...writer's cut of Garden's of the Moon, that Erikson redid once he finished The Crippled God. Was it tidying or was it a full rewrite because, while it's been a long time since I read Gardens of the Moon, I didn't think I remembered it that poorly and it's constructed completely differently on a fundamental, structural level. I remembered it having its big moments but having them spaced out, but it is much more in the style of later books where it's a pretty slow burn followed by a massive convergence/multi-stage climax.

Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot. I was unprepared for its style when I first read it. It really does drop you into a story that's already in motion and doesn't really do much to help you catch up. There's so many quick little references to other people and places that do actually appear or pay off in later books. Basically, It was good and I'm really looking forward to re-reading all my favourite parts. Memories of Ice might have been my favourite the first time but that was partially a product of how it was the first time I grasped the type of story he was telling and realised the scale he operates on.

Yep, I dipped the first time I tried it, then went back and slogged through to get to the rest of the series. It's much better when all the characters they throw at you have some context.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

bucketybuck posted:

Whiskeyjack got his name because he was called Jack, and then he was drinking whiskey. The highlight of a naming session that destroyed any sense of wonder from the originals.

What? No. His birth name was Iskar Jarak. But you are correct that Braven Tooth was pretty simple with nicknames (side-eyeing Fiddler here).

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Yeah, looks like I was talking smack based on a thought I had in my second read through. It's the Anibar who called him Iskar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Just read Esslemont's latest, and am convinced that his stuff is just fanfic and definitely not canon.