Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

zokie posted:

Korlat was given the title by Nimander I think, the title seems to serve a function within the Andii court. Nightchill was probably like Draconus part of it and instead of being Consort she was Sister of Cold Nights
To expand, there are four positions in the royal house of the Shake enumerated in TCG: Twilight, the Watch, Awakening Dawn, and Sister of Night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

zokie posted:

But the swords wasn't made yet! So Draconus, knowing that one of his inventions would be used against him made one that would protect him from what would happen to all other Elder Gods. Within Dragnipur he would still be forgotten, but apparently not lose as much of his power like the others. When he got out he was full of kick-rear end and power. Compare him to the other Elders, only Mael is probably doing as well as him. Or maybe K'Rull, but he got power again by accident...
Since everybody's getting confused, this is from the prologue of Memories of Ice, just after the curse:

quote:

Then Draconus spoke, 'Since the time of All Darkness, I have been forging a sword.'

Both K'rul and the Sister of Cold Nights turned at this, for they had known nothing of it.

Draconus continued. 'The forging has taken ... a long time, but I am now nearing completion. The power invested within the sword possesses a ... a finality.'

'Then,' K'rul whispered after a moment's consideration, 'you must make alterations in the final shaping.'

'So it seems. I shall need to think long on this.'

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

TimNeilson posted:

I forget which book this information is from, so this might be DoD or TCG spoilers:
More than that, the T'lan Imass made him into the Lord of Tragedy through some ritual, iirc. I don't have my books on me atm so I can't go look up exactly what they did.
It was in TCG. In one of Tool's chapters, we learn that First Sword is the title given to the tutelary god of the T'lan Imass. Dassem Ultor had taken up the title during the early Malazan campaigns without knowing what it entailed. At some point, Logros and his tribe decided to sanctify it and start worshipping him, which turned Dassem into a mortal god.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

amuayse posted:

I'm not sure where the whole K'Chain Che'Malle are from space thing comes from. Though being a race that doesn't have their own warren, but developed anti-gravity magic by themselves is pretty impressive.
Their warren is Kaschan, and there was speculation in the early books that it's the Imperial Warren.

As for the space thing, there might have been hints in other books, but we have this from The Crippled God:

quote:

'The memory of every Matron is passed down in the blood, the oils--the secretions. Nothing is lost. Gunth Mach has offered me some of their flavours. Much of it I cannot be certain of--there was a time, between the stars...I don't know. And it may be that I did not fully understand the tale I have just told. It may be that many truths were lost to me--our senses are so limited, compared to those of the K'Chain Che'Malle.'

No Pants fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 28, 2013

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Habibi posted:

But I believe the Imperial warren is later confirmed to be the Warren K'rul made of Kallor's destroyed empire, no?
I was just pointing out that the warren existed at one point. One of the characters thought the Imperial Warren might have originally been Kaschan because of all the K'Chain Che'Malle wreckage and the fact that some sky keeps were hanging out there.

(Edited for potential spoilers)

No Pants fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 28, 2013

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

amuayse posted:

Considering how powerful the K'Chain Che'Malle and the K'Chain Nah'ruk were, I'm surprised the Tiste races were able to even get a foothold when they arrived in the world. Did they just duck and cover during the whole K'Chain civil war? I remember that the Pannion Seer described Rake as not even knowing a fraction of the full power of Moon's Spawn.
The war with the Forkrul Assail put the K'Chain on the decline. The Tiste outright invaded; the K'Chain Che'Malle opening a gate to chaos in order to defeat the Forkrul Assail god probably helped them reach Wu in the first place.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

uh zip zoom posted:

So I'm working on my first reread, and I have to ask: why does nobody have any clue as to who shadowthrone and the rope actually are? At least in the first book, anyway…

Edit: heboric knew, apparently, but still…

It's not like no one has any clue. There's a short bit near the beginning where Tattersail and some of the Bridgeburners talk about how it was totally weird that the two new rulers of Shadow appeared right after the Emperor and Dancer died.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Abalieno posted:

This is still spoilery stuff:

I guess that's generally right, but I was referring to Chapter 4, Scene 1, where it's pretty clear that some characters had a good idea about what was up.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Juaguocio posted:

Picker, Scillara, Felisin Younger.

Don't forget Rucket's weird fat lady illusion.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Jose posted:

Whether it has been retconned it has been done so precisely so that throws off the reader and makes them believe what the people in the books believe

Is there even anything to retcon? Tool says right there that it's probably bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

zeal posted:

Does anyone recall what happens to Masan Gilani in TCG? I don't remember her showing up again after she rides with the Seven of the Dead Fires.

She takes part in the battle at the Crippled God's body, and Fiddler notes her as one of the survivors.