Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
The air in these books is often febrile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
Lether is a metaphor for all of us. For all of us.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010

You might be underestimating just how fuckin metal Yedan Derryg is.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
I've bounced off of Wheel of Time my whole life. I keep trying to get into it, but it's so heavily gendered? If anyone knows what I mean? Like I can't bring myself to care this much about mans vs womens. It's uncomfortable to read, it just feels Straight As gently caress

Am I reading it wrong? Is there something I'm missing here?

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010

Barreft posted:

lol

someone can't read a series cause it's "gendered"? Open your mind and just read it baby. By book 2 you see it's all bullshit, that's the whole point Jordan was making.

I'm not online enough so I dunno what "Straight As gently caress" means as a category for books especially since there's a whole bunch of same sex attraction, but like who cares who is horny for who if the story is good?

ahahahaha

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
The most badass moment in the series is easily in Dust of Dreams when the Barghast and Akrynnai get casually genocided by an Elder God entering the world.

A final report, loud as the snapping of a dragon's spine, and then sudden silence.

A sword, bleeding darkness, dripping cold.

Overhead, late afternoon sunlight burned the sky.
A sultry wind swept down the length of the valley, gathering streamers of steam.

He stood for a time, studying the scene on all sides.

'Ah, my love. Forgive me.'

He set out, boots crunching on the dead.

Returned to the world.

Draconus.

Cryptozoology fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 15, 2021

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
Sorry, the most badass part is actually in Reaper's Gale when the Shake find the burning Malazan fleet

Eyes on the burning hulks in the sea, she almost snarled her reply.

'We killed their subjects. And clearly they will not let that pass. Errant take the Letherii and the Edur.'

She spun round, making for her horse. The others scrambled after her.

'Strangers, Yedan? Not to me. They followed us.'

She swung herself onto her horse and tugged it towards the north trail.

'We left a debt in blood,' she said, baring her teeth. 'Malazan blood. And it seems they will not let that stand.'

They are here. On this shore.

The Malazans are on our shore.

Cryptozoology fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 15, 2021

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
Nope, the most badass part is the beginning of Memories of Ice when a triad of Elder Gods arrive to lay the law down on Kallor and he burns the remnants of his empire to curse them in turn

The man on the throne trembled. His lips drew back in a rictus snarl.

'I shall break you. Each of you. I swear this upon the bones of seven million sacrifices. K'rul, you shall fade from the world, you shall be forgotten. Draconus, what you create shall be turned upon you. And as for you, woman, unhuman hands shall tear your body into pieces, upon a field of battle, yet you shall know no respite - thus, my curse upon you, Sister of Cold Nights.

Kallor Eiderann Tes'thesula, one voice, has spoken three curses.

Thus.'

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
Memories of Ice gets me every time. It's Toc and Seerdomin

‘Thank you for the use of your cloak,’ he said.

‘You are welcome, Malazan. These winds were once warm. Come, lean on me while we walk – your weight is as nothing.’

They slowly made their way towards the building.

‘Easily borne, you mean.’

‘I did not say that, Malazan. I did not say that.’

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
Just finished off The God Is Not Willing. poo poo owns, Erikson fucks.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010

day-gas posted:

I might just be a philistine.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
Toll the Hounds has a fuckton of certified original gangster Kallor the High King, slaps therefore.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010

TGG posted:

The whole Kallor death march poo poo was loving metal as hell. KALLOR

Toll The Hounds posted:

A shrill, spattering gasp erupted from the Soletaken, and all at once they were plunging earthward.

The impact was thunder and snapping bones. The High King was flung away, tumbling and skidding along dew-soaked grass. He gained his feet and spun to face the dragon.

It had sembled. Orfantal, on his face an expression of bemused surprise, was struggling to stand. One arm was broken. Blood gushed down from his neck. He seemed to have forgotten Kallor, as he turned in the direction of the road, and slowly walked away.

Kallor watched.

Orfantal managed a dozen steps before he fell to the ground.

It seemed this was a night for killing Tiste Andii.

His shoulders were on fire from the dragon's puncture wounds, which might well have proved fatal to most others, but Kallor was not like most others. Indeed, the High King was unique.

In his ferocity. In his stubborn will to live.

In the dry furnace heat of the hatred that ever swirled around him.

He set out once more for the city.

As dawn finally parted the night.

Kallor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010

Khizan posted:

The fight between Kallor and Spinnock might be my favorite one in the series.

That duel does go incredibly hard. I don't know if it's just cause we're talkin Toll The Hounds, but for me it's (end of book spoilers) Anomander Rake vs Dassem Ultor .

Second entry for favorite fight is every time someone underestimates their opponent and gets completely dogwalked, usually with facefulls of high explosives